Irony: Architect killed by something falling off of a building

Parliament

A 60-year-old woman was struck and killed by falling debris on a midtown Manhattan street Tuesday morning, according to New York police spokesman Ahmed Nasser.

The woman, identified by police as Erica Tishman, was pronounced dead at the scene by emergency services.
Tishman was a Manhattan architect and served on the Board of Directors for the Educational Alliance, CNN affiliate WABC reported.
"It is with great sadness that we write about the passing of Erica Tishman, an invaluable force and irreplaceable ally to our organization," Educational Alliance CEO and President Alan van Capelle said in a statement, according to the affiliate.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/17/us/ny-woman-debris/index.html

Fucking construction workers always trying to get at their betters.

Saw what a sheet of water logged, 3/4" thick, 4 x 8 plywood will do to a guy if it falls 9' from above into his face.  Split his nose in half, drove him down over a pile of bricks, and gave him a compound fracture of his lower leg.

The inertia of the weight driving him down to the ground made his leg curl back on itself as it snapped, and ripped thru his soft tissue.  Other than the (just) dead guy I saw after he went thru a windshield, this was as gruesome as it gets.  I'm always looking around, and above when I go on multi story job sites.

Local Law 11—also know as the Facade Inspection & Safety Program—requires buildings that are six stories or taller to have their facades regularly inspected. This requirement stems from tragedy: In 1979, a college student was killed when a chunk of masonry plummeted from a building near campus.May 28, 2019

It was most likely a piece of ornamental terra cotta that was 100 years old.  

I just watched the video in the link.  It was.  If you go to Google Streetview you can see ornamental lion heads; there's one missing in the video.

Edited by Bullneck

This was pretty sad. I was working in Times Square that day when this happened. Someone on the street covered her when they saw her laying there. We had it on Spectrum News so we saw the report. Gosh what an awful way to go. Felt so bad for her.

I believe I read the building had been cited for issues earlier this year. Doesn't bring this woman back though. If anything hopefully we remember we do not know when our last moment is. Make the best of life.