I've seen Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker Reddit Spoilers Proven True or Not

mdmost

15 hours ago, Pasken said:

I never understood the SJW critique of TLJ. To me, the backlash makes it seem like way more people took some sort of weird pride in white males in all the previous Star Wars movies. 

Just looking at TLJ: Poe, Fin and rose are all minorities and they royally fuck up. What is SJW about that? Laura Dern and Carrie Fisher were the ones in the right but that seemed more like having faith in the more experienced, patient and wiser voices and not a thing with women. I feel like the reading a lot of ppl have for last Jedi says more about them and their problem within women than the movie.

Hi Drew

• Like 1

Yeah put me in the camp that thinks Laura Dern’s character was stupid. First, it should have been general Akbar appointed, someone who we have a connection to and would like seeing in action more. Secondly, who in the fuck does not tell others the plan of getting out of the mess? She was not wise, patient and did not act experienced at all...she was horrible character. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Yeah put me in the camp that thinks Laura Dern’s character was stupid. First, it should have been general Akbar appointed, someone who we have a connection to and would like seeing in action more.

Uh well kind of tough to appoint the dead guy...of course I guess no one is every really gone.

It's weird to me that so many on here give JJ Abrams so much benefit of the doubt. Dozens of people in here say they like the last movie and only blame the dumb parts as trying to salvage what Rian Johnson destroyed.

How is The Force Awakens not getting more blame? Rian Johnson gets so much shit for the way he handled Luke, but Abrams is the one who pisses on his legacy.

Thought Luke beat the Empire? Nope. They're still here with the same uniforms and everything.  Sorry.

Thought Luke had a meaningful victory over Palpatine by turning Vader? Nah he's not dead.

Abrams set up a horrible villain in Snoke.  He looked like a side character and came out of nowhere.  The Palpatine puppet is a stupid explanation and I bet Abrams didn't have that planned out because Abrams never has anything planned out.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Uh well kind of tough to appoint the dead guy...of course I guess no one is every really gone.

Could have Been his son we only briefly saw in TROS. Make him a bigger character in TLJ. Also could have been made Acting General instead of Poe. 

36 minutes ago, fellside said:

It's weird to me that so many on here give JJ Abrams so much benefit of the doubt. Dozens of people in here say they like the last movie and only blame the dumb parts as trying to salvage what Rian Johnson destroyed.

How is The Force Awakens not getting more blame? Rian Johnson gets so much shit for the way he handled Luke, but Abrams is the one who pisses on his legacy.

Thought Luke beat the Empire? Nope. They're still here with the same uniforms and everything.  Sorry.

Thought Luke had a meaningful victory over Palpatine by turning Vader? Nah he's not dead.

Abrams set up a horrible villain in Snoke.  He looked like a side character and came out of nowhere.  The Palpatine puppet is a stupid explanation and I bet Abrams didn't have that planned out because Abrams never has anything planned out.

Agree with most of this but the last part. Snoke wasn’t a bad villain; he came out of no where and gave the Skywalker story something fresh. When papa palps came back it was clear, yes, JJ did not have a plan and I honestly believe he was going to use snoke till the end but that got axed in TLJ. It has been discussed here a little but snoke dying shouldn’t have thrown the story in a throwback frenzy using palps as the anchor. JJ still had Kylo to go really dark with and the knights of ren were standing there waiting to be utilized.  

I wish they’d introduced the threat of Palps at the end of TFA. Very much reminded me of the Dark Empire comic series. In fact, until stated otherwise, I assume that they are implying that Palps used his powers to transfer his soul in to a clone. That’s how I understood it during the movie. 

Someone here brought up the quote by KK recently along the lines of “Unlike Marvel, we don’t have years of sourced material to work with.”  Bullshit lady. You have some great novels and comics written by some of the top tier sciFi authors of our times that are well regarded. 

They should have taken Dark Empire and ran with starting with TFA.  TFA wouldn’t need to change much, just let it be known there is some threat manipulating the galaxy, and Luke is needed. At the end , they find Luke and learn the threat is a cloned-soul transferred Palps. TLJ, Luke says lets do this (just like Obi Wan, and more in spirit of his established character), and starts training Rey while looking for Snoke and trying to thwart Kylo. Trade the Canto Blight screen time for a sequence showing Luke and Rey finding Palps, but Rey not being ready and Luke getting mortally wounded to get her to safety. The ending of TLJ can even be almost the same, but this time the reason Luke can’t take Kylo on face to face is because he’s mortally injures. 

Thank you for reading my whiskey fueled fan fiction outline. 

• Like 3

Took the boys (12 & 10) to see this last night. All three agree was a bit of a hot mess.

Entertaining but just lots of crazy loose ends. Not a very well thought out story-line. I think challenge is they were so worried about the fan service side of things that they just let movie meander all over the place.

this trilogy plus the prequel trilogy feels like I imagine Animal House would have felt if they'd made another two or three movies in that cinematic universe, as in "man, we barely had enough material for one story"
story? fuck story. sw is about shit blowing up and bad computer security. when it had story it sucked ass aka prequels and the rose tico show.
this one went back to shit blowing up and so was good.

you seem stupid

Thanks. I didn't get how that supposedly crapped on TLJ. I saw the movie yesterday, thought it was just okay, it definitely had some really cheesy parts. The whole Chewy dying thing was LOL bad, since nobody knew about a second ship. After he got brought back from the dead I knew there were no stakes and that nothing would happen to the main characters.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

well duh.

Star Wars is NOT NCIS.

10. Eh, he just plummeted to his almost-death and clawed his way back so it’s not so implausible that he gave all that he had left. Plus he had to die, he was a homocidal maniac.

nope he indeed did plummet to his death. the ben solo that "saved" Rey was a Maz Kanata long distance force projection. after he did the borg dissappearing act they cut to Maz and it was obvious she had done that.

also this one went back to the computer security aspect of STAR WARS. ps that wasn't the first time 3po has been wiped.

Just saw it.  I liked it?  I don't know.  I was entertained.  I came out of TLJ not liking it, then watched it again recently and it resonated a bit better.  I'm fine with Rey being a Palpatine, but curious who fucked him.  I mean, if that isn't the biggest loose end, I don't know what is.  There are no other loose ends that bother me, really.  So, well done, I guess? 

I really wish Ben had lived so Rey takes him back to the Resistance after party... record scratch...  "Don't worry, he's 'Ben' again... no harm, no foul.  Shots?  Who wants shots?"  Resistance is like "WTF, Rey" and Rey and Ben are like "Don't care, had X-Wing sex".

Edited to add... enjoyed Keri Russell's suit.  Probably best part of the movie.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are there records to scratch in the Star Wars universe?

Nah, but there's all sorts of cantina music to bring to a sudden halt.  They got original cantina music in Mos Eisley, reggae cantina music at Maz Kanata's place, and whatever electronic boogie woogie business this chick was singing for Jabba:

5652a055c2814424008b49be?width=1400&form 

Edited by utee94

Haven't read the whole thread so SIAP, but my brother said he saw the "4D" version at Edwards Theater, (Houston), last night and hated it. HOWEVER, he's had several back surgeries with metal "accoutermonts" and said his seat shook his back very painfully.

Might want to keep that in mind if similarly outfitted.

On 1/1/2020 at 10:34 AM, RamjetFDO said:

Of course - that second image was just *RIPE* for Photoshopping ... and when I sent it to him (via his mom), he refused to believe it was him standing next to Darth Vader!

Darth-Cole-bg.thumb.jpg.758bff464480111e4d5ec878357508a9.jpg

I've always felt that the one thing missing from the Star Wars franchise, was Darth Vader having his own mini-me.

Dr. Evil approves, and so do I.

• Like 1

A couple of comments from the editor that worked on TROS. From Reddit:

“We were definitely still trying to figure out a lot of stuff,” Brandon said about the sped-up editing process. “It’s a struggle. It affected everything. About a third of the way through, [Lucasfilm president] Kathy [Kennedy] was like, ‘JJ has got to spend more time in the cutting room.’ And I knew that wasn’t going to happen. Not with the schedule that we were on. Not with what he was dealing with on a daily basis…he was just exhausted at the end of the day.”

According to Brandon’s estimates, the “Rise of Skywalker” crew had three months less to work on the latest “Star Wars” movie than was the case for “Force Awakens.” Disney set a December 20, 2019 release date for the movie that could not be moved, forcing Brandon to edit on set so that the production schedule was maintained.

As for the negative critical reception of “The Rise of Skywalker,” Brandon said, “In a time when the whole world is polarized, it should not be a film that is polarizing. Basically, the message of the film is, ‘Hey you know what? You can be bad and good can come into your life. And maybe if you’re open-minded to it, extraordinary things can change your mind. And you have to believe there’s always hope.’”

One of the biggest complaints thrown at “Rise of Skywalker” is that the movie is pure fan service, which is not a claim Brandon will try to fight. “Look, sure, it’s fan service,” the editor said, “[but] if you didn’t service the fans, it would be, ‘Oh, he didn’t go along with the history of ‘Star Wars’ and what it all means.’”

Edited by DoneWithit

2 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

As for the negative critical reception of “The Rise of Skywalker,” Brandon said, “In a time when the whole world is polarized, it should not be a film that is polarizing.

Lulz. "With so much going on in the world, I can't believe that movie critics are critiquing movies."

Finally saw it tonight and loved it.  Sure it had all of the plot holes mentioned here, but it was enjoyable from start to finish.  Of the three trilogies, I would probably rank this 4th.  It's better than any of the prequels, better than TFA and light years better than the worst movie of all time, TLJ.  I finally read this thread when I got home and I was so pleased to see that Drew hated it.  It made me feel so much better about the fact that I enjoyed it.  I kind of feel that I should post all my life decisions to be made on a thread here and wait for Drew to offer his opinion as to what I should do...and then do the exact opposite.  

Edited by Hate

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think there are definitely three tiers.
1 - The original trilogy
2- Force Awakens, Revenge of the Sith, Rise of Skywalker
3- Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Last Jedi

I’d put the non-Roman numeral movies in tier two.

this is close except ...Rise of Skywalker goes to tier three and Attack of the Clones to tier 80 

• Like 1