I've seen Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker Reddit Spoilers Proven True or Not

mdmost

I didn’t see it until Wednesday so I’m late to the party, but count me among those who hated TLJ and thought this was ok but not great. Some of these issues have been discussed, but WTF on a lot of things:

1. Kylo should have just killed Palpatine in the opening sequence. These characters learn nothing from their own past or their predecessors.

2. If Rey kills Palps he takes over her body? Ok strange new insight in how Sith spirits carry on from generation to generation of the “master” role. “All the Sith will live in you!” Ok...so she killed him at the end anyway so why nothing? Don’t give me some bullshit from upthread about him being in flesh and formerly in spirit, because he had a decrepit body at the beginning and wanted her to hit him with a light saber. Light sabers don’t kill spirits. 

3. What “killed” Rey? Deflecting Sith lightning back never killed Yoda, Obi Wan, Mace Windu, or others previously. 

4. LOL at every dead Jedi saying WTF? because no one ever force-healed or force-resurrected them.

5. At the end of the movie they defeated Palpatine’s Final Order fleet. Where is the whole First Order fleet though, the ones who’ve been kicking the shit out of the resistance since the end of Force Awakens? Funny ending if Hux’s understudy pulls a “Yoink!” and nukes them all the next hour, day, or week. 

6. Did Leia also die of a “broken heart” like her mama? They’ve been “speaking” to each other through the force for a long time without loss of energy or life.

7. What happened to BROOM BOY???

8. Still no insight about how “butthole eyes” lady got Luke’s light saber from Bespin? LOL at the too little too late gesture of this lady giving Chewy his medal 40 years later. Has she been hanging on to that heirloom the whole time too?

9. Already discussed and would certainly reduce the suspense/risk of the story, but why the hell hasn't Qui Gon, Yoda, Obi Wan, Anakin, and/or Luke (the entities known to have afterlife communication ability) run recon for people? They really buttfucked their buddies over at various stages of the Clone Wars, Order 66, Death Star(s), Starkiller base, Snoke, Palps still alive. Where all these ghosts? Just wasting their eternity at the craps tables on Canto Blight while occasionally popping to peep on Rey flicking the bean?

Saw it tonight at Alamo - Lakeline. Absolutely fucking loved it.

Came home to do some internet browsing only to discover a world of online hate. Holy hell.

I think my expectations were suitably low enough that I was surprized by how damn entertained I was for the two hours or whatever. I drank beer. I ate loaded fries. I had a good damn time. Got a little misty-eyed when Luke's X-Wing rose from the ocean (and maybe a couple other times!). I thought it was a solid wrap-up.

Of course, when I see the very real and legitimate criticisms, I can't help but internally agree. But, you know, fuck it -- I enjoyed the hell out of that movie.

• Like 8

I got home late last night from seeing the movie and will echo similar sentiments in that the movie was good, not great.  It had its moments, but left a lot to be desired.

With that being said, Murfdogg21's question/s actually has an interesting answer if you're a fan of the Star Wars EU.

While the first few points are rather fundamental and may even seem rhetorical, they are important to lay out before answering your questions.

Background:

• The Force is the underlying connection between all living things, constantly seeking to find a balance.
  • There are individuals born 'Force sensitive' in that they have a better innate understanding of The Force.  These individuals have the capabilities to manipulate The Force at their discretion.
  • Ultimately, The Force runs on a spectrum, but we often seek to simplify this spectrum as good versus evil, light versus dark, and etc.  In reality, There is a lot more grey area.
  • The Jedi and Sith Order are organizations with a specific set of values and beliefs with regards to The Force.  This is why they are often referred to as 'ancient religions' in the Star Wars EU, by non-Force believing individuals.
  • A Jedi or Sith is just an individual that receives specialized training to enhance their capabilities.  However, these individuals can transition throughout their life as they move across this grey spectrum.  A good example in the movies is Ben Solo the Jedi transitioning to Kylo Ren the Sith and finally back to Ben Solo the Jedi. 

The Rule of Two:

• In the Star Wars EU, the Sith Order was much more similar to the Jedi Order from Episodes I, II and III.  There were many, many Sith.  However, a key difference was the large amount of internal conflict among the Sith, as each Sith sought power, knowledge, pride, and etc.
  • A Jedi turned Sith named Darth Revan observed that the Jedi were organized as a group with a focused purpose and thus would always be stronger than the Sith while the internal fighting persisted.  Philosophically he decided the best way for the Sith to gain power was to eliminate other Siths and concentrate their power in less individuals.  Remember that The Force seeks balance and therefore if there are 100 Jedi with a power of 1 and 100 Sith with a power of 1, but 90 Sith die, the remaining Sith have increased capabilities with a power of 10 - or at least in theory.  He felt this would help prevent internal conflict as would make it easier to unite the Sith Order into a common goal of dominance.  Darth Revan never actually put this into practice, but left his philosophy behind at the Sith Temple.
  • Fast forward 1,000 years and nothing changed.  The internal conflict within the Sith Order had grown as a whole the Order was weakening from the external (Jedi) and internal (Sith) conflict.  Darth Bane studies Darth Revan's teachings and reaches similar conclusions, that the Sith Order will slowly destroy itself.  He refines Darth Revan's beliefs and initiates a Sith purge, establishing a "Rule of 2," whereby there would only be a Sith master and apprentice at any given time, significantly magnifying each's power.  After the purge, Darth Bane takes on an apprentice, Darth Zannah and thus the Rule of 2 begins in full.
  • From here on out, you more or less know the rest.  Darth Plagueis was mater to Darth Sidius, and Darth Sidius to Darth Vader.  With Vader's death, Sidius needed a new apprentice - which was supposed to be Rey.  If Rey struck down Sidius in an act of revenge or hatred, she would inherit the concentrated power of the dark side.  Hence, her vision was of herself and Kylo Ren joining forces to lead the Sith Order, which was Sidius' end goal.  But she didn't, she choose the light.  At the end when she kills him, it's as a Jedi and as an act of defense of the people fighting for their freedom.

I thought that part of the movie was actually great.  Although I understand 99% of people don't know what's going on because this is knowledge you would need from the Star Wars EU and therefore if you were just watching the movies, you wouldn't understand what the hell was happening.

All of this also means that the Sith aren't gone, they're just gone for now.  The Force seeks balance and therefore there will be those born that will seek out the dark side and will look to re-establish the Sith Order.  Hence, the story is never done and there's an infinite universe to make movies on.  The Star Wars EU is already extremely detailed and thus those were be interesting to see in the theater.

• Like 4

Saw it tonight at Alamo - Lakeline. Absolutely fucking loved it.

Came home to do some internet browsing only to discover a world of online hate. Holy hell.

I think my expectations were suitably low enough that I was surprized by how damn entertained I was for the two hours or whatever. I drank beer. I ate loaded fries. I had a good damn time. Got a little misty-eyed when Luke's X-Wing rose from the ocean (and maybe a couple other times!). I thought it was a solid wrap-up.

Of course, when I see the very real and legitimate criticisms, I can't help but internally agree. But, you know, fuck it -- I enjoyed the hell out of that movie.

Ha, yeah, Luke’s X-Wing was one of my favorite characters. 10 year old me definitely felt something in that scene.
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 8:45 PM, Hate said:

I finally read this thread when I got home and I was so pleased to see that Drew hated it.  It made me feel so much better about the fact that I enjoyed it.  I kind of feel that I should post all my life decisions to be made on a thread here and wait for Drew to offer his opinion as to what I should do...and then do the exact opposite.  

Does he gamble or day trade?  That's the hidden gold we need to be mining here.

Saw it today and enjoyed it, but thought the overall story was better the first time as Return of the Jedi.  The big final battle scenes were cool, but all of the stuff after that with Kylo at the end was just dumb.  What?  She loves him now?  She doesn't even know him and she's kissing him?  The slut!  As a part of a long drawn out story line it had plenty of holes, but I still enjoyed it.  And seeing the X-wing and the part where they made you think Chewy died both choked me up a little bit.  I just wish the film industry would get back to taking chances like they did on the original Star Wars and other great films of that era like E.T. and Raiders, etc.  I'm really getting tired of the same actors in the same franchise over and over again.  No one in Hollywood is even trying to be original anymore.

at first i was just 'oh, it was not bad', but it's been a week and i'm still thinking about it, and i kinda want to see it again. there were several parts that got me in my feels, i felt traces of the excitement from my youth. i get the critiques... but for me the good/nostalgic far outweighs the bad/questionable

Kylo/Rae bits were the best by far. i really dug Adam Driver in this role. 

his SNL Undercover Boss skit was the funniest thing they've done in years. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 2

I'm absolutely certain that if I had seen the OT as an adult I would feel much differently about them.  I would criticize plot holes, bitch about dialog, bitch about physics, and anything else that people bitch about in regards to this movie.  The fact of the matter is that is was very enjoyable.  I could do without the kiss at the end as it was completely out of place, but that's really my only major gripe.  I think my favorite scene may be when they go to the old Death Star and end up in the Emperor's chambers.  When it comes out on DVD or is released for TV, I will watch it again.  I'm happy to end the series on a good note. 

• Like 3

Finally saw it today and it fell below my low expectations.  Rian with an i deservedly gets shit on but Abrams is a hack and set this whole thing up to fail with his first movie.  This one was also bad and I'd have a hard time differentiating among the three.  I was shocked that this one started with a mysterymcguffinbox that our heroes had to track down.  This whole trilogy just shits on the character arcs and happy ending of the OT in a way that is unforgivable to me.

It was definitely a missed opportunity not to have Lando drop a "what do we have here" when meeting Rey and/or the deserter storm trooper at the end.

Finally saw this pile of garbage, and it was extremely disappointing and infuriating. So many terrible decisions with the story, constantly jerking you from scene to scene with no natural transitions, no character development, and I don't even remember the music. The plot was eye rollingly stupid with the endless fetch quests, new magical force powers (we can heal now!), And constant bailouts making the worst situations easily overcome.

I recall the exact moment this movie lost me. I was already on the fence after all the fast scene changes and running around from place to place, but it was when they went to the desert festival and Chewy got arrested that it passes a point of no return. Rey and Kylo meet and play force tug-o-war and Rey 'accidentally' smooshes the ship with Chewy and kills him. At that moment, I was excited, we don't need Chewy so losing him is no biggie, he can die like the rest of the old cast who are just nostalgia props. I thought they were going to make Rey go dark, deal with failure, guilt, hating herself, etc. I was thinking they could go with a role reversal between her and Kylo, or maybe she kills him too and goes totally dark only to become the villain of the movie! But then 3 minutes later we learn Chewy was on another transport ship and he's fine. WHAT THE FUCK?!?! They were in the desert, there weren't any other ships or people in sight. What the fuck else would need to be transported out there? Did they capture the sand snake? That's some stupidass Rian Johnson bullshit right there. I was hoping he was dead, because that would be interesting and unexpected, but no, it's just a dumb hero movie where everyone we like lives, and everyone bad dies. Fuck this shit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Rey and Kylo meet and play force tug-o-war and Rey 'accidentally' smooshes the ship with Chewy and kills him. At that moment, I was excited, we don't need Chewy so losing him is no biggie, he can die like the rest of the old cast who are just nostalgia props. I thought they were going to make Rey go dark, deal with failure, guilt, hating herself, etc. I was thinking they could go with a role reversal between her and Kylo, or maybe she kills him too and goes totally dark only to become the villain of the movie! But then 3 minutes later we learn Chewy was on another transport ship and he's fine. WHAT THE FUCK?!?! They were in the desert, there weren't any other ships or people in sight. What the fuck else would need to be transported out there? Did they capture the sand snake? That's some stupidass Rian Johnson bullshit right there. I was hoping he was dead, because that would be interesting and unexpected, but no, it's just a dumb hero movie where everyone we like lives, and everyone bad dies. Fuck this shit.

I started giggling during the tug-o-war.  I like your Rey to the dark side idea better.  Always thought Luke to the dark side would have been fantastic too.

Rian got close though

Spoiler

source.gif

Edited by mulletpelini

Finally saw this pile of garbage, and it was extremely disappointing and infuriating. So many terrible decisions with the story, constantly jerking you from scene to scene with no natural transitions, no character development, and I don't even remember the music. The plot was eye rollingly stupid with the endless fetch quests, new magical force powers (we can heal now!), And constant bailouts making the worst situations easily overcome.

I recall the exact moment this movie lost me. I was already on the fence after all the fast scene changes and running around from place to place, but it was when they went to the desert festival and Chewy got arrested that it passes a point of no return. Rey and Kylo meet and play force tug-o-war and Rey 'accidentally' smooshes the ship with Chewy and kills him. At that moment, I was excited, we don't need Chewy so losing him is no biggie, he can die like the rest of the old cast who are just nostalgia props. I thought they were going to make Rey go dark, deal with failure, guilt, hating herself, etc. I was thinking they could go with a role reversal between her and Kylo, or maybe she kills him too and goes totally dark only to become the villain of the movie! But then 3 minutes later we learn Chewy was on another transport ship and he's fine. WHAT THE FUCK?!?! They were in the desert, there weren't any other ships or people in sight. What the fuck else would need to be transported out there? Did they capture the sand snake? That's some stupidass Rian Johnson bullshit right there. I was hoping he was dead, because that would be interesting and unexpected, but no, it's just a dumb hero movie where everyone we like lives, and everyone bad dies. Fuck this shit.

They definitely showed two ships. I know because I knew immediately he was on the other one. I even said it aloud.

A summary of Trevorrow’s E9 script that leaked onto the web earlier:

• ⁠Trevorrow's draft is from 12.16.16 (a week before Carrie's death)
• ⁠Title is DUEL OF THE FATES

CRAWL:

The iron grip of the FIRST ORDER has spread to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. Only a few scattered planets remain unoccupied. Traitorous acts are punishable by death.

Determined to suffocate a growing unrest, Supreme Leader KYLO REN has silenced all communication between neighboring systems.

Led by GENERAL LEIA ORGANA, the Resistance has planned a secret mission to prevent their annihilation and forge a path to freedom...

• ⁠Opens at the Kuat Shipyards (man on a mission-style)
• ⁠BB-8 and Rose Tico (allegedly a key character in script) are infiltrating Kuat Moon where First Order build their ships (workers are oppressed). There is an orbital ring and moon below it. Finn and Poe are there. No R2/3PO. Rey arrives.
• ⁠The plan: Send explosive into the power shaft that delivers raw ore into the ring.
• ⁠Plan goes wrong. (RBM loves dialogue at this moment.) First Order is able to contain blast. Admiral Vaughn says Resistance tactics are "pitful."
• ⁠Rey disguised as a Tusken Raider is revealed to have created her own weapon (a double-blade lightsaber hybrid of her staff and Luke's cracked saber).
• ⁠They battle and Poe, Finn, Rose, Rey, and BB-8 STEAL A STAR DESTROYER (Eclipse-class) and escape.
• ⁠The Knife 9 a ship containing the Knights of Ren arrives a Kuat. Ataska (?) Ren kills Admiral Vaughn for his failure.
• ⁠CUT TO: CORUSCANT. No longer a vibrant city. "The new structures are built atop the art deco structure of the old republic." Occupied by the First Order now (they have a citadel/palace there). Citizens are scavengers now. Hux is now CHANCELLOR HUX and is addressing Bisc Kova (traitor who helped Resist. steal Star Destroyer.) Kova is executed with a light blade guillotine.
• ⁠Hux and Commander Selleck have a meeting with several alien war lords (ode to ANH imperial council scene). First Order has allies. They are aware of Rey being the last Jedi. Council wants to know WHERE IS KYLO REN? He is missing. Hux only knows he has gone searching for something of great power.
• ⁠CUT TO: MUSTAFAR. Kylo Ren is alone, except for a Darth Maul-esque droid. He has stubble indicating search has been for a long time. Ren is being HAUNTED by Luke's force ghost.
• ⁠Luke: "This is where the dark path leads; an empty tomb." Kylo (retort): "Where did your path lead?"
• ⁠Luke is trying to convince him to go back to Leia. Kylo: "I'm going to be more powerful than any Jedi...even you."
• ⁠In Vader's Temple, Kylo finds a Sith Holocron which reveals a hologram of Palpatine. Recording is for Vader. Palpatine has a contingency for Vader if Luke kills him. Vader is to take Luke to the Remnicore (?) System to see TOR VALUM, Master of Sith/Palpatine's Teacher.
• ⁠After scanning Kylo, the Holocron explodes and releases red lighting which burns Kylo, who screams.
• ⁠CUT TO: RESISTANCE BASE on KOR-ALAF (?). Leia is introduced as she feels what's happening to Ben. Chewbacca and Lt. Connix tell Leia that the Kuat team is back. They're shocked to see a Star Destroyer (which is landed onto the planet). Funny moment w/ Rey using Mind Trick on First Order officers who were still on the ship.
• ⁠Rey confides in Finn that she doesn't feel like she has what it takes to be a Jedi and can't live up to everyone's expectations. Finn asks her if she still senses Kylo. Rey confesses she's been having nightmares. Finn asks if it's Kylo. Rey says she can't explain their connection.
• ⁠Finn: "You have to shut him out. He can't change. It's too late." Rey: "It's never to late to change. You taught me that Finn."
• ⁠Resistance realizes that the Star Destroyer stills has most of it's weapons (tanks, TIEs, etc). Only missing piece is an army to use it.
• ⁠Rey researching the Jedi texts from Anch-To discovers that under Coruscant Jedi Temple there is a communication system (called a FORCE BEACON) from the Old Republic that can send a signal to 50 planets. They plan on using it to get allies. First Order can't stop it, since it predates Imperial tech. Rey: "Hope is all we have left."
• ⁠Force Ghost Luke appears as Rey trains. Luke is pushing Rey to get stronger in the Force, while he is pushing Kylo to let Ben out.
• ⁠Kylo makes it back to Coruscant. Face is damaged. Mandalorian armor is smelted and is been applied to his face. Confronts Hux and belittles him, saying he doesn't need titles.
• ⁠Rey to Luke as they train: "Balance? The dark suffocates the light, light extinguishes the dark. Over and over and over again. How is that balance in the force?"
• ⁠Luke: "I know that anger. My father had it too.'
• ⁠Rey: "So says my master and his master before him. A thousand masters so eager to tell us how to live."
• ⁠Rest of exchange between Rey and Luke is basically Rey trying to back away from being a Jedi (she admits she is NO ONE) and Luke trying to convince her (he says the Force is speaking to her).
• ⁠Back to Kylo. He and Hux continue to snipe at each other. Kylo says he's leaving again, but not before telling Hux the power he discovered will make destroying planets insignificant. Kylo's last order to Hux: "Find the Resistance, wipe them out, leave the girl to me."
• ⁠TEAM A (Rose, Finn, R2, 3PO): Going to Coruscant to light the beacon.
• ⁠TEAM B (Rey, Poe, Chewbacca): Going to a planet to find someone to help Rey figure out what she needs to do. (side: Yes, his descrp. is that vague)
• ⁠Kylo is going to a Sith Planet/Remnicore. EDIT: Before he leaves Coruscant, he takes Vader's mask and says he understands Vader now. Kylo: "You allowed love to cloud your judgement" and he throws Vader's mask off of a balcony and it shatters.
• ⁠Leia stays at the base overseeing the Resistance.
• ⁠Before Rey leaves, she and Leia have an exchange were Rey says she believes there's still good in Kylo. Leia is skeptical, but Rey believes in her Jedi Training. Leia: "You're not like my father or my brother. You're new. Whatever happens, remember the force choose you Rey. You're story isn't written by anyone else."

RMB starts summarizing now:

• ⁠First Order tracks down stolen Star Destroyer to Kor-Alaf. Resistance escapes.
• ⁠TEAM A successfully infiltrates the Jedi Temple and turn on the beacon. Cut to different places around the galaxy receiving the signal (Bossk cameo). It is then cut off by the First Order. TEAM A then flee into the underbelly of Coruscant.
• ⁠TEAM B are being pursued by the Knife 9 (Knights of Ren ship) and eventually reach the planet Bonadan.
• ⁠Kylo reaches Remincore and confronts Tor Valum (7000 yrs old, alien of unknown origin, spindly, intense sinewy muscle -- very Lovecraftian). Kylo begins training with Valum. Ode to ESB Cave scene: Kylo fights Vader. Fight is brutal and Kylo loses.
• ⁠Bonadan: Poe takes Rey to a Seer who can pull information out of memories. The Seer pulls a star chart out of Rey's mind from her visions w/ Kylo. Knights of Ren show up and fight Rey in a lightsaber battle. She defeats them and TEAM B escapes.
• ⁠Both Rey and Kylo eventually get to MORTIS.
• ⁠Leia asks Lando if he will organize the smugglers and fight the First Order.
• ⁠Rose is captured and tortured by the First Order, but is able to escape.
• ⁠Finn/R2/3PO start a citizens uprising on Coruscant around the First Order's Citadel/Palace.
• ⁠Leia brings her forces to Coruscant to battle the FO. Massive space battle, ground battle (ROTJ-style you know the works lol). Chewie flies an X-Wing.
• ⁠Rey and Kylo battle on Mortis, using force energy that can pull from each other. At some point is revealed Kylo killed Rey's parents at the behest of Snoke. Towards the end, Luke/Obi Wan/Yoda appear as Force Ghosts to save Ben, but are unsuccessful. Ben is "extinguished."
• ⁠RMB seems to be at the end, so just for house keeping sake - Resistance won, First Order loses.
• ⁠One final deet: Han Solo did appear in the script and does confront Kylo at some point.

11 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

That sounds like a much better movie.

yeah now make it the second movie in the trilogy-- end the movie right about here (with a more definitive beat to end on, so it's not a cliffhanger)

• ⁠First Order tracks down stolen Star Destroyer to Kor-Alaf. Resistance escapes.
• ⁠TEAM A successfully infiltrates the Jedi Temple and turn on the beacon. Cut to different places around the galaxy receiving the signal (Bossk cameo). It is then cut off by the First Order. TEAM A then flee into the underbelly of Coruscant.
• ⁠TEAM B are being pursued by the Knife 9 (Knights of Ren ship) and eventually reach the planet Bonadan.

• 5 months later...