I've seen Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker Reddit Spoilers Proven True or Not

mdmost

A few thoughts:

1. I don't mind Palpatine being back, but the execution was poor. Being hooked up to a bunch of machines in a far off place doesn't work for me or fit the lore - although he does mention that he's trying to get Rey to perform a ritual to turn her where he likely will have a lot of say in her actions.

2. I loved that Rey is related to Palpatine, but it wasn't set up well from TLJ and I'm saying that as someone who liked TLJ. Johnson's decision to try to say that she had no force lineage doesn't make sense when she is as powerful as she is. Being related to one of the most powerful sith ever fixes that. 

Anyway, there's some good payoffs from TLJ in this movie that I think people missed. I don't entirely agree with this take but it's a pretty good post on the topic: 

Not the greatest not the worst by far.

Saw Dash Rendar’s outrider and Phoenix Squadron’s ghost.

Nice to see John Williams and Anthony Daniels get a live role, also Wedge still alive and fighting.

I walked out thinking I’m glad the Skywalker saga is over mainly cause they don’t seem to know how use the characters we all know.

So it appears that Ahsoka Tano is dead by this movie if she is force ghost talking to Rey. That’s sad.

Looks like the main Mando tie-in I saw was Reys life force transfer.

Lots of PT and clone wars Easter eggs especially in the Jedi ghost part.

Also sad no Easter egg moments for Thrawn or Ezra after all these years between rebels and the final trilogy.

The more I think about this movie the more I dislike it.

Every single scene has some kind of wacky coincidence.  It is pure video game narrative (and I make video games for a living). 

I get it that there was so much to clean up from TLJ, but that doesn’t excuse the god awful “well that was lucky” storytelling. 

what happened to the horses on the star Destroyer? I didn’t see much of them after the “charge”. Maybe they fell off the edge or froze or couldn’t breathe because of the thin air? Stupid shit..,

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

The more I think about this movie the more I dislike it.

Every single scene has some kind of wacky coincidence.  It is pure video game narrative (and I make video games for a living). 

I get it that there was so much to clean up from TLJ, but that doesn’t excuse the god awful “well that was lucky” storytelling. 

what happened to the horses on the star Destroyer? I didn’t see much of them after the “charge”. Maybe they fell off the edge or froze or couldn’t breathe because of the thin air? Stupid shit..,

Kinda like a rat randomly walking over and hitting a button that activated a quantum tunnel? 

15 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Kinda like a rat randomly walking over and hitting a button that activated a quantum tunnel? 

Yeah. But in every scene. 

And the Emperor’s plan was kind of like a Charlie Strong offense:

“What I am going to do is hide for 20 years and then make a powerful Sith clone who will lead this a new First Order with a huge fleet of ships. All the while I will build another huge fleet of ships and hide them under the ice of a planet that no one can find. I will bring millions of crew members to this secret planet to man these ships, including the leads of the First Order. Then I will wait until the most powerful force user comes and finds me and offer him my fleet of ships if he kills my granddaughter, the girl I want to replace me. All of the ships in my fleet will stay in the same location instead of the vastness of space because it will make it easier to control their movements which I have controlled by this single exposed tower with no defense.”

spectacular plan!

“Coach Palpatine do you wish to receive or defer?” “We want to kick!”

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I can see the script...

Scene 20:

Luckily the good guys are all tossed from their speeder and land in a pit of quicksand. 

Luckily everyone is unhurt despite flying hundreds of feet in the air. 

Luckily the quicksand is above a tunnel which they all fall into. Luckily the quicksand doesn’t fall into the tunnel. 

Luckily the guy they have been looking for also fell into this pit and luckily his corpse is right here. 

Luckily he has the item they need. But for their next step they will have to go to a different planet to solve it. Luckily they know a guy. 

Luckily there is a hurt creature here who luckily knocks a hole in the wall allowing for the good guys to escape after the main character uses a healing power she didn’t know she had. 

Luckily the hole in the wall leads the good guys Directly to a starship that luckily still works after it has sat in the desert, luckily untouched, for the past 20 years. The main good guys stop to reflect on the lucky thing that no one noticed the ship sitting on top of a mountain while the main character decides to wander away for some reason. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with you. Just goes to show that nobody was on the same and JJ didn’t give a single fuck about coincidences after what Rian did. We literally just witnessed Disney hang papa palps on huge robotic arm to show us he’s been the villain all along and pulling the strings.

5 minutes ago, Fastbreak said:

I can see the script...

Scene 20:

Luckily the good guys are all tossed from their speeder and land in a pit of quicksand. 

Luckily the quicksand is above a tunnel which they all fall into. Luckily the quicksand doesn’t fall into the tunnel. 

Luckily the guy they have been looking for also fell into this pit and luckily his corpse is right here. 

Luckily he has the item they need. But for their next step they will have to go to a different planet to solve it. Luckily they know a guy. 

Luckily there is a hurt creature here who luckily knocks a hole in the wall allowing for the good guys to escape after the main character uses a healing power she didn’t know she had. 

Luckily the hole in the wall leads the good guys Directly to a starship that luckily still works after it has sat in the desert, luckily untouched, for the past 20 years. The main good guys stop to reflect on the lucky thing that no one noticed the ship sitting on top of a mountain while the main character decides to wander away for some reason. 

Well yea....it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

4 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Saw Dash Rendar’s outrider and Phoenix Squadron’s ghost.

Nice to see John Williams and Anthony Daniels get a live role, also Wedge still alive and fighting.

Anthony Daniels live role?  I know some people mistook Denis Lawson (Wedge) for Anthony Daniels, but did Daniels actually have a live role outside of the C3P0 attire?  I hadn't heard that till now.

Where was the Outrider?  Saw the Ghost, but couldn't spot Dash's ship.  Shadows of the Empire was a great game, it would be nice if it's considered canon again.

11 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I can see the script...

Scene 20:

It’s called the Force !!!!!!

Rian Johnson ruined this trilogy by not making Rey go to the dark side. We only got a glimpse of how badass that would have been in this one but it was awesome. Instead, we get Emperor Palpatine in a story that makes no sense, full of force healing fatal wounds that other jedis just wouldn't bother to heal, and all sorts of other convoluted garbage. This trilogy is only barely better than 1-3, which is amazing given how terrible 1 and 2 were.

Anthony Daniels live role?  I know some people mistook Denis Lawson (Wedge) for Anthony Daniels, but did Daniels actually have a live role outside of the C3P0 attire?  I hadn't heard that till now.
Where was the Outrider?  Saw the Ghost, but couldn't spot Dash's ship.  Shadows of the Empire was a great game, it would be nice if it's considered canon again.

Saw wedge, but it looks like I was wrong in the celebration scene I coulda sworn I saw Anthony Daniels hugging an alien. Guess the girl on girl kiss messed me up. Lol

Guess I was forcing my impressive eagle eye too much...

Also they say the Crucible(Hondo’s ship) and the Shadow Caster(Ketsu Onyo’s ship) were in the final fight but I missed them.
  • Like 1

Every single scene associated with the Emperor was garbage.

1. Rushed scene yada yadaing his return was dumb.

2. Kylo "why shouldn't I just kill you now?" We never get a good reason. He should have just killed him.

3. How the fuck did he make all those ships?

4. How is he alive?

5. Who the hell flies all of those thousands of ships? They said they'd need to man them and never explain how they do.

6. They keep adding sith powers every minute. Now one dude can no-look take out an entire fleet by himself?

7. The emperor needs Rey to kill him in hatred but then offers her a deal where she can save her friends. So she wouldn't be killing him in hatred.  Then he just remembers that he can suck the life force out of her instead.

If you're blaming all of these on Rian Johnson, you're being extremely and randomly kind to JJ Abrams, a guy who's never known how to end a story his entire career.

• Like 2

I had a friend that described this movie as candy, sweet but nothing that really sticks to you other than the sick feeling you get later.  Yea it was entertaining in the moment just because shit who even has a moment to absorb the moment.  I didn't hate it , even found a few moments of enjoying it but that's more a result of extremely low expectations and the need to just sit back and try to enjoy the thrill ride.  

But yea so many fucking holes....and it's not like the OT didn't have holes but the pace at which these holes are flung at you and the moved on from is crazy.  The Red Letter Media guys nailed it when they were talking about comparing the scenes of the Falcon landing in the Death Start vs whatever the fuck the name of that ship was landing in the hanger of Kylo's Destroyer were developed or not developed in the case of TRoS....although Rich and that dumb forced laugh fucking sucks as bad as Rian Johnson

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

Good enough considering that it had to be pulled back from the brink that TLJ created.

I wasn’t really feeling it until the desert scene. Rey leaping over the Kylo TIE and then the force tugowar was pretty cool, and I found the rest to be entertaining. I actually thought having Palps back was badass. He told us in the prequels that the Sith knew how to cheat death.

Definitely extremely dusty when Chewie lost it over Leia’s death. That was tough.

It was flawed but I liked it fine and my kids (10 and 13) loved it. That’s a win in my book. I’m interested to see where they go now.

It was okay. The best parts were the desert scenes post dumb Lando scene. Kylo/Rey scenes. I actually thought the Emperor was well done, but probably because his character was properly built up over three previous movies. As someone said before, I didn’t care about any of the characters. Well except Kylo. He was the only character who was properly fleshed out. You can make an argument for Rey but whatever. Rey had her parents murdered but only in a flashback. We had zero reason to sympathize with her. Oh she was a scavenger, Whoopi tI do. Luke was a normal teen who hated working on the farm. He got yelled out by his guardians, he had chores to do, people related to that, and then his aunt/uncle who had been raising him since birth were murdered. Was it his fault? People sympathize with that and want to root for that character to conquer the bad guys. There was zero character development in these films and it was hard to like any character. 

So I have a lot of questions:

- Does being a sith lord skip a generation?

- How much must it have sucked for Doug Palpatine growing up knowing that he'd never earn his father's approval?

- So Palpatine is basically the worst sports parent ever?

- Did Doug Palpatine's wife not have serious red flags about her father-in-law?

- Did Doug Palpatine really think his dad would never find Rey?

Why do I think his name is Doug? I don't know it's what popped into my head.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

Red Letter Media does some great stuff.  I prefer the Plinkett reviews Red Letter Media does when it comes to Star Wars though.  They're savage, with plenty of comedy as they completely destroy the prequels and new trilogy:

Edited by ulukinatme

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

So I have a lot of questions:

- Does being a sith lord skip a generation?

- How much must it have sucked for Doug Palpatine growing up knowing that he'd never earn his father's approval?

- So Palpatine is basically the worst sports parent ever?

- Did Doug Palpatine's wife not have serious red flags about her father-in-law?

- Did Doug Palpatine really think his dad would never find Rey?

Why do I think his name is Doug? I don't know it's what popped into my head.

Doug Palpatine hung out and stocked shelves at the grocery store with Chad Vader.  Probably took smoke breaks together.  Employee of the month in August 1987.  Shame what happened to Doug Palpatine

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Doug Palpatine hung out and stocked shelves at the grocery store with Chad Vader.  Probably took smoke breaks together.  Employee of the month in August 1987.  Shame what happened to Doug Palpatine

If Disney+ next original Star Wars show isn't a multi-camera All in the Family style sitcom with Emperor Palpatine coming home from work and being disappointed by how much of a non-sith piece of shit his kid is what are we even doing?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

That was the catalyst of Endgame. It wasn’t a necessary coincidence In the middle of the story.

so what’s the story with the emperors wife?

25 minutes ago, Pasken said:

so what’s the story with the emperors wife?

yeah man, if pop culture has taught me anything it's bad guy's chicks are ride or die and you'd have to think Mrs. Palpatine was a ride or die kinda lady to be with the most evil dude in the galaxy. Major question marks about her imo.

It was like Star Wars meets Empire Strikes Back meets Return of the Jedi meets National Treasure meets Harry Potter meets Romeo and Juliet meets Chicks Who Dig Chicks, Vol. 4.
All in all, an entertaining movie that tried too hard to create emotions without earning it.  I liked it better than TLJ.  But every rebooted scene was a soulless replica of the original version, and they relied too heavily on fan service and callbacks. This trilogy had a promising start, but couldn’t let go of the original characters and turned Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando and the droids into the film equivalent of helicopter parents.  We should have been focusing on the heirs to their legacy, but the old gang just kept hovering over the narrative.
fuck off

Usually I’m not a fan of all the boo everything on the football board but I’m going to use my one boo card on this. I’m amazed so many that have already posted are giving it thumbs up. I thought it was the worst one of the recent 3. There was even a 5 minute Scene towards the beginning where most of the theater had to shield their eyes because the strobe and flash cuts hurt the eyes. Thought it was choppy and too much chasing and not enough fighting. I’m wondering how many of the people that enjoyed it read the leaks. I know shame on me for reading the leaks but no way you could read them then walk out feeling good after seeing it. Where’s my refund? How can leaks be that accurate?

idoit

All the silliness of fighting with light sabers while in different locations, the god like force powers, the force ghosts manipulating objects had to be a part of this movie because of that fucking dickhead terrorist Rian Johnson ....take that shit away and this would have been a hell of a lot better
WRONG.