Gulf Shores/Destin

Errestaurants

Both are WAY better than Port A.  I'd say the beach & water start to get pretty good right around Gulf Shores. 

Destin can be super crazy and crowded.  If it were me, I'd probably opt for something smaller in or just east of Gulf Shores if the idea of heading to more civilized beach areas like Rosemary Beach east of Destin is not in the cards.

Orange Beach and  a pitching wedge over the border into Perdido Key (FL) are better than Gulf Shores IMO.  Less crowded...easier to get around than both Destin or Gulf Shores.

Destin is going to have prettier water but not by THAT much....unless the water quality is the deciding factor, save the time, money, and drive/traffic and take the Foley beach express off 10 and hit Perdido Key or Orange Beach.  That 1-2 hours less in the car with your MIL (and small child) will be a welcome at that point of the drive.

Plenty of condo's there that will still have some availability in May....decide if you want to do the high-rise/elevator set-up or a more traditional beach condo (low-rise/stairs )and hit the google-tron. 

With small kids or older folks that's an important decision as the walks to and from the beach can get somewhat tiresome if you're having to haul the kid back and forth or try and lug MIL's body down to the water to hide it after a long week.

Destin is too busy at this point but it is the best beach/water of the bunch. You could stay in Fort Waton Beach which is just West of Destin and will have the same beach. I would do OB/Perdido or Fort Walton over Destin that time of the year. OB can be a lot more redneck than Perdido just for the record. There are also barrier islands West of Orange Beach that are also nice although they will have limited activities outside of the beach.

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Both are WAY better than Port A.  I'd say the beach & water start to get pretty good right around Gulf Shores. 

Destin can be super crazy and crowded.  If it were me, I'd probably opt for something smaller in or just east of Gulf Shores if the idea of heading to more civilized beach areas like Rosemary Beach east of Destin is not in the cards.

Any differences between Rosemary Beach and the beaches east - Sunnyside or Laguna Beach or west like Seaside?

I have only stayed at Rosemary Beach, but we bicycled over to Seaside.  Rosemary Beach is more secluded and less crowded.  It's not cheap.  (Neither is Seaside.  I wouldn't ever stay there given the crowds.)

We stayed at Henderson Beach last summer, at the actual resort, and it was remarkably laid back.  It's literally next door to the state park which only allows limited access, so there is plenty of pristine and near-empty beach within a couple of hundred yards if you're willing to pay up for the pretty expensive (and very nice) hotel.  It's a solid 30 miles west of Rosemary Beach but far enough removed from Destin to not seem insane.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have only stayed at Rosemary Beach, but we bicycled over to Seaside.  Rosemary Beach is more secluded and less crowded.  It's not cheap.  (Neither is Seaside.  I wouldn't ever stay there given the crowds.)

Pretty much that for Rosemary Beach.  We've been there twice and are headed back in June.  It's worth it to go in on a house with another couple or two.  Much less crowded than Seaside.  We have no problem letting our kids roam free around town on their bikes.

Depends on what you want. We started going to Gulf Shores because Destin and 30A is such a fucking zoo. Nearly the same beach and water for much cheaper, plenty of beach houses with pools to rent.

If you want to get out and do stuff with the masses then there’s more to do in Destin. But it’s super crowded.

Rosemary is where the upper crust goes, and it’s nice, but as has been said it’s pricey.

We'll be there for the first time in early May.  Where would be a good place for an inshore fisherman to do some wading / surf fishing?   I'm willing to go out early but probably wont have the time to get a guided trip.

2 hours ago, krevo said:

We'll be there for the first time in early May.  Where would be a good place for an inshore fisherman to do some wading / surf fishing?   I'm willing to go out early but probably wont have the time to get a guided trip.

You’re more limited in and around Destin because it is so over built and there is a fight going constantly regarding property owners right to the beaches. We just surf fish wherever we are staying. There are places around the 331 bridge crossing that are good and around the Destin Harbor bridge that are good. Past that I would look at between Destin/FWB assuming it is allowed in the park area on either the gulf or bay side. You’re not going to find large flats to wade that you can get to by vehicle unless there are some I have missed.

I went to Destin a few years ago. Drove the whole way. In Pensacola, take I-10 to I-85  and pay the toll to get to Destin. I-98 along the coast is a great view but it's slow af. There's some traffic and the speed limit is around 35-40 most of the way. 

The beach is pretty amazing there, one of the best I've been to.

Places to check out

The Red Bar - a little bit of a drive and parking can be tough (have to take a shuttle they have), and the wait can be a little long, but this was the best meal I had there. Great seafood and menu.

Fudpuckers - tourist trap, but the food is not bad, drinks are good and the kids will like all the gators and stuff they have. Try to come during the "dead time" around 3-4pm and you will only have to wait 15-30 mins.

Marlin Grill - Great food here, a little fancier than Red Bar and Fudpuckers. It's in the Baytowne Wharf area so there's lots of stuff to walk around and see.

HarborWalk Marina - Lots to do here. Go on a sunset dolphin cruise, then do the carnival stuff in the evening. Again, it will be a little crowded in the evening.

Aegean Greek Restaurant - We also hit up this place for some good greek food. greek salad and hummus was excellent. 

There's also tons of other places to try like Louisiana Lagniappe and McGuire's Irish Pub that we didn't get to but were also recommended from a thread on shaggybevo.

21 hours ago, Brew said:

You’re more limited in and around Destin because it is so over built and there is a fight going constantly regarding property owners right to the beaches. We just surf fish wherever we are staying. There are places around the 331 bridge crossing that are good and around the Destin Harbor bridge that are good. Past that I would look at between Destin/FWB assuming it is allowed in the park area on either the gulf or bay side. You’re not going to find large flats to wade that you can get to by vehicle unless there are some I have missed.

Are there any piers to fish around there?  If I can't get a spot to wade, I'll probably take the kids to soak some bait at a pier or something.

Edited by krevo

You may be able to find a spot on the Harbowalk but it's pretty busy so there may not be many good spots. There are a bunch of places there to charter a boat though

https://www.olinmarlercharterboats.com/

https://www.harborwalkfishingcharters.com/

http://www.partyboatfishingamericanspirit.com/ - I think I remember considering this one but we decided we didn't have time to add a fishing trip

https://www.swooppartyboat.com/

plus a bunch more you can see on google maps.

I’ve seen lots of folks fish the Lee Calloway Bridge in Gulf Shores when the tides come and go between the gulf and Little Lagoon. We stayed at a place at the end of W Beach Blvd that had a fishing dock on the lagoon side and caught a few reds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krevo said:

Are there any piers to fish around there?  If I can't get a spot to wade, I'll probably take the kids to soak some bait at a pier or something.

Not in Destin, there is one in Fort Walton which is less than 10 minutes from the Harborwalk area. A lot depends on where you stay. If you are on the west end of Destin you can drive to FWB or fish the other side of East Pass (beach access and also can fish the rocks along the pass and the bridge pilings) all the way down to FWB fishing the gulf or bay side. If you are on the east end, that’s a pretty good drive so I would go to the 331 bridge across the bay and fish the rocks/bridge there.

Again, you can catch fish from the beach anywhere, it’s just different than other coastal areas. You will catch a lot more LadyFish, Spanish Mack, Blue Runners, hardheads, etc and fewer reds or pompanos which you would actually want to eat. 

On 4/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, Errestaurants said:

Is Destin worth the extra hour or so drive past Gulf Shores. Looking to take my wife, mil and 3 year old daughter in late May. Are these two beach spots better than Port Aransas? Thanks in advance.

Drop MIL and 3 year old off at Gulf Shores. Take the wife to Destin introduce her to FMF threesomes, and bang like rabbits

Show me a loss!

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 9:00 AM, South Austin said:

Pretty much that for Rosemary Beach.  We've been there twice and are headed back in June.  It's worth it to go in on a house with another couple or two.  Much less crowded than Seaside.  We have no problem letting our kids roam free around town on their bikes.

been to Rosemary, Seaside and Watercolor.  all are great and very family friendly.  i think Rosemary is the most laid back. 

20 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

If you do Navarre or Pensacola definitely check out the naval flight museum. It’s awesome.

Yep. and if you can, take in a Blue Angels practice.

http://www.navalaviationmuseum.org/nnam/documents/2018 Schedule 3.29.18.pdf

Going to Gulf Shores at the end of May with the family.  I'm thinking waverunner rental one afternoon and then either fish or golf another afternoon by myself.  On the beach the rest of the time with my igloo cooler full of "empty out the bar of cheap random vodkas and rums, and fruit juice punch".

Was just in Destin over Spring Break....that is actually a nice time to go (though unseasonably cold this year.....lows in the 40s). Prefer staying east of Destin proper (really like Sandestin) and going in to Destin for fishing charters, boat cruises, etc.

Pensacola Beach is somewhat underrated. It is a small step down in sand and water quality, but not much. The Blue Angels practice is cool to see (Fun Fact-my wife's uncle was in the Blue Angels)

Haven't been to Gulf Shores......folks tell me that was what Destin was 30 years ago

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Fin and Fork- one of a few places that takes reservations, excellent brunch
Fishers- fine dining
Cosmo's -  great sushi
Sea n Suds or Doc's on canal road - fried seafood
Acme- for cajun favorites

I’ll add Bahama Bobs and The Beach House. The place that TBH replaced was awful, but TBH is pretty good.

Driving to Rosemary Saturday. Staying near the Pearl. Lulz at the OP for asking about GS and NW Fl beaches relative to Port A. Not comparable. And I spent half my childhood in Port A. 

Stayed just outside of Alys for the week of the fourth. I had no idea Houston was in such close proximity to a nice beach.  

If that place isn’t a real estate bubble I don’t know what is, $3000/sq ft is crazy. 

I think you have that number wrong. Single family look like it averages $1000/sq ft. Still stupid expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, Errestaurants said:

Is Destin worth the extra hour or so drive past Gulf Shores. Looking to take my wife, mil and 3 year old daughter in late May. Are these two beach spots better than Port Aransas? Thanks in advance.

Definitely worth it, but make sure you stop here and under no circumstances should you continue on to Rosemary beach on 30a. You really do not want to go there. Stick with destin.  All of you.  

• Like 1

On 7/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, Rex Kramer said:

Driving to Rosemary Saturday. Staying near the Pearl. Lulz at the OP for asking about GS and NW Fl beaches relative to Port A. Not comparable. And I spent half my childhood in Port A. 

enjoy it.  I spent a week at watersound for the fourth.  water was turquoise.