Wanna Feel Old?

Storm the Field

2 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think about that when I play Zepplin and what not for my kids.  It would be like me listening to music from the 1930s.

I bought my first Zep album four years after they broke up. They'll have been disbanded for 40 years in 2020.

3 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

I think about that when I play Zepplin and what not for my kids.  It would be like me listening to music from the 1930s.

when my kids told me Van Halen was 'old music'  I had the sad for a week or so.

Then I forgot what i was sad about...

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Stand by Me came out in 1986, set in 1959 and felt like a different universe. The same time gap would exist for a movie released now and set in 1993. 

If Back to the Future was released now, he would go back in time to 1990 and forward in time to 2050.

It feels like a different universe because you didn't live through 1959-1986.  

I'd bet if you asked your parents at the time, they'd say there wasn't much change from 59-86 either.

This is my generation.  I'm on the earlier side of it.  And we are awesome.  Fucking millennials.

Generation X (or Gen X) is the demographic cohort following the baby boomers and preceding the Millennials. Researchers and popular media typically use birth years around 1965 to 1980 to define Generation Xers, although some sources use birth years beginning as early as 1960 and ending somewhere from 1977 to 1984.

Gen Xers[1] were children during a time of shifting societal values and as children were sometimes called the "latchkey generation", due to reduced adult supervision as children compared to previous generations, a result of increasing divorce rates and increased maternal participation in the workforce, prior to widespread availability of childcare options outside the home. As adolescents and young adults, they were dubbed the "MTV Generation" (a reference to the music video channel). In the 1990s they were sometimes characterized as slackers, cynical and disaffected. Some of the cultural influences on Gen X youth were the musical genres of grunge and hip hop music, and independent films. In midlife, research describes them as active, happy, and achieving a work–life balance. The cohort has been credited with entrepreneurial tendencies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

My dad held 1 month old me in his lap during Nebraska's win over LSU for their first National Championship

I held my 1 month old son during Nebraska's win over Tennessee for their last National Championship

That little fucker is a senior in college now

Maybe my greatgrandkids will restart the tradition.

On 12/19/2019 at 3:17 PM, TXSooner518 said:

Stand by Me came out in 1986, set in 1959 and felt like a different universe. The same time gap would exist for a movie released now and set in 1993. 

If Back to the Future was released now, he would go back in time to 1990 and forward in time to 2050.

And 1919.

• Like 1

I watched the new Wonder Woman trailer, and when they started the music and flashed "1984" on the screen, I was like "yeah, okay, my childhood, this is going to be cool."

I left YouTube running while I was mucking around in the kitchen, and they had some reaction videos that followed, and the first YouTuber, when 1984 flashed on the screen said "Oh my gosh, I wish I was alive in the '80s", followed by somebody who said "1984, oh wow, that was just a few years before I was born".  And  I shut it off.  And realized that the second YouTube, even though they were born in the late 80s, is in their 30s.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Fashion in the 90's was so much "brighter." Music was lighter, movies less gritty.

I've always associated it with September 11. 9-11 made our society more cynical.

Movies with major theatrical release were more gritty - Seven, LA Confidential, Shawshank, Tarantino flicks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
17 hours ago, hayden_horn said:
and somehow she's hotter now than she was then
581b79cb362ca444038b6bc3?width=1100&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Well I'd hope so. She was 14 back then.

Exactly, she was cute. Now she’s a stunning woman that in the right era and circumstances could cause men to destroy entire civilizations