Wanna Feel Old?

Storm the Field

On 12/20/2019 at 9:38 PM, mulletpelini said:

My dad held 1 month old me in his lap during Nebraska's win over LSU for their first National Championship

I held my 1 month old son during Nebraska's win over Tennessee for their last National Championship

That little fucker is a senior in college now

Maybe my greatgrandkids will restart the tradition.

That tradition is dead forever my friend 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

When she was a little kid, my grandmother saw Czar Nicholas, Alexandra, and all the Romanov children in the flesh from ten feet away.  They (the Romanovs) were riding in an open car in Baden-Baden, Germany, with fierce-looking mounted guards.  This "past" we are discussing wasn't that long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching Twister last night.  When seeing this for the first time way back when, I remembered thinking Jami Gertz looked way older than the hottie she played in The Lost Boys.  

Twister (1996) debuted 9 years after The Lost Boys(1987).  Less Than Zero also came out in '87.  Twister came out 24 years ago.  Geez I'm old.  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

I don't know why I can live with Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall being 52, with Geddy being 65...but yeah...Jake being 60 is just really fucked up.  Damn...the older sister who gets married in the movie is 64.  Whoever the fucking casting director was obviously didn't care about the fact that there was a 20 year spread between all these high school kids.  What a great film though.  

Here's how we're old:  Got my first CD player 30 years ago, coinciding with my first "real" summer job as a restaurant busboy.  Among the first albums I could afford were all "New Releases."  I bought all these albums 30 years ago, and they're all turning 30 years old this year...

"Razor's Edge"-AC/DC
"Ritual de lo Habitual"-Jane's Addiction

"Volume 3"-Traveling Wilburys

"Social Distortion"-Eponymous

and the one that's gonna make us all feel old since the members are barely older than most of us on here yet they were at the height of their popularity already 30 years ago...I remember buying it that summer, but it had already been out rocking the radio waves for months.  "Shake Your Money Maker" by the Black Crowes.  30 years old and almost every band member is younger than Jake from "Sixteen Candles"  Da fuh?  

Quick edit to knoxtnhorn comment.  Jamie Gertz did have that 80's knack for somehow looking older than she was, but sexy as hell.  And her new gift is that in her mid 50's...she's still smoking hot and looks fantastic.  I think she literally became a vampire during filming of "Lost Boys" because she's looked 30 years old for 30 straight years.  

Edited by Lobo

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Quick edit to knoxtnhorn comment.  Jamie Gertz did have that 80's knack for somehow looking older than she was, but sexy as hell.  And her new gift is that in her mid 50's...she's still smoking hot and looks fantastic.  I think she literally became a vampire during filming of "Lost Boys" because she's looked 30 years old for 30 straight years.  

I always found her voice throaty, almost flinty. It is tattooed in my brain.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, but she couldn't spare a square.  Not a square to spare.  

When that episode comes on in re-runs, I am reminded of her other square role, on "Square Pegs" as the great and luscious, Ms. Muffy Tepperman.  One of the first on-screen appearances by a female actor that made me realize, "I think I like the ladies.  Mainly the ones in tight jeans."  Now, I'm old.  But I still likes the ladies.  In tight jeans.  

Let us also not forget, Jamie Gertz shared the screen with the great Jake Ryan in "Sixteen Candles."  I dunno if they were in the same scenes, but she was in the movie briefly.  

Fun fact----notwithstanding future possible inheritances.  If you had to guess between Jamie Gertz and Julia Louis Dreyfus...which one could, with their current net worth, buy the most toilet paper.  9 out of 10 people would guess Julia.  They'd be wrong.  By a lot.  

18 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Saving Private Ryan was released 22 years ago.

Shawshank Redemption was released 26 years ago.

Use Your Illusion I & II was released 29 years ago.

Top Gun was released 34 years ago.

Raiders of the Lost Arc was released 39 years ago.

Mick Jagger - 77 years old

Keith Richards - 76 years old

Debby Harry (Blondie) - 76 years old

Paul McCartney - 78 years old

Ringo Starr - 80 years old

Just a sample.  All going strong.

(just goes to show we're all doing it wrong)!!

Has fashion changed as much since 1998 as it did from 76 to 98?

Way late to this thread, but check out American Pie, Varsity Blues, or Shes All That. Those were all in the later 90s. Clothes/fashion has changed mostly in the sizing of them. Baggy clothes were in back then.

17 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Way late to this thread, but check out American Pie, Varsity Blues, or Shes All That. Those were all in the later 90s. Clothes/fashion has changed mostly in the sizing of them. Baggy clothes were in back then.

image.png.b1997d55bc57da5357e7aa3738c0bba2.png

If you hate skinny jeans, blame JNCO for the blowback.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

That's actually comforting in a way because when I saw that movie at the theater, he seemed so much younger than me.  Turns out, we're just four years apart.  

Also crazy to think that John Hughes was younger than Macaulay Culkin is now when he wrote "Home Alone."  

What the hell happened to time?