Have Humans Ever Been Close to Extinction?

Mileslong

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Two out of the three officers required to release the nuclear tipped torpedo from the B-59 wanted to launch. I’d say that’s pretty fucking close to an extinction event.

Not that close, IMO, because who really knows the truth of the matter what those officers actually desired. 

Anyway, the whole premise of “extinction “ was/is overblown. Chaos for a couple of generations yes, but humanity is resilient. Look at Japan’s recovery.

My girlfriend in HSs grandma actually saw the bomb go off. I would say the the Japanese had a unique culture that specifically helped/forced them deal and rebuild. For instance, many Japanese  hold no grudges that it was dropped only regret that the wa was so brutal. Americans would have handled things differently.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

My girlfriend in HSs grandma actually saw the bomb go off. I would say the the Japanese had a unique culture that specifically helped/forced them deal and rebuild. For instance, many Japanese  hold no grudges that it was dropped only regret that the wa was so brutal. Americans would have handled things differently.

A friend of my dad was in a POW camp just outside Hiroshima. After the blast, the guards just walked away in shock.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It always surprised me that the American POW's weren't summarily executed across the country after the first bomb was dropped.

Order started to break down. Lots of confusion and conflicting orders by different leadership factions. Also, there was almost a coup but forced loyal to the emperor we’re able to sneak out his surrender order and keep him in power. 

20 hours ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Go on... what point are you trying to prove?

Didn't you reply to a post stating we track 90%+ of 1km objects? And you claimed we can't track more than 50% because sun? Even though the earth spins on its axis? Then you posted a blurb discussing objects greater than 140m as evidence, effectively moving the goal posts? 

Didn't you reply to a post stating we track 90%+ of 1km objects? And you claimed we can't track more than 50% because sun? Even though the earth spins on its axis? Then you posted a blurb discussing objects greater than 140m as evidence, effectively moving the goal posts? 

Not going to waste my time on this shit.

No kidding. Was just thinking this as I responded to Brat’s post. You’d think any raggedy looking wide eye white boy would be shot or beat to death on site. That is certainly how I’d see it playing out had they nuked San Fran. Those Japanese internment camps would turn into death camps like in a hurry. 

Well, when you consider that effectively nobody on earth knew what this new city-killing bomb was, they just saw a single detonation and a city turn to ash...yeah, I can see how shock and confusion and defeat were the overriding emotions.