The Fajita King, dead at 81

Deej

My old man has always kinda hated Sonny.  See, he grew up eating tacos al carbon made from cheap-ass skirt steak in the valley, and he loved 'em.  Then, that bastard Sonny came along, introduced 'em to gringos, fajitas ended up on the menu everywhere, and a cut that used to cost my old man 19 cents a pound is now $8 a pound.

Good that Sonny made it big, so to speak.

Bad that he ruined cheap food for cheap Texicans.

It's a complicated world, man.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My old man has always kinda hated Sonny.  See, he grew up eating tacos al carbon made from cheap-ass skirt steak in the valley, and he loved 'em.  Then, that bastard Sonny came along, introduced 'em to gringos, fajitas ended up on the menu everywhere, and a cut that used to cost my old man 19 cents a pound is now $8 a pound.

You ain't made it until you convince the gringos it's a thing.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Don’t bad mouth my former neighbor (almost). We lived three blocks north of his Woodland home in East Travis Heights during the 1960s. El Matt’s at 5th & East Avenue was our go-to TexMex place then. Puffy tacos ftw.

RIP Sr. Falcon.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly. He didn't invent shit. He stole a food staple and prep technique and profited off it in true white greed fashion. Good riddance and fuck that guy to eternity. 

• Fuck You 2

6 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Exactly. He didn't invent shit. He stole a food staple and prep technique and profited off it in true white greed fashion. Good riddance and fuck that guy to eternity. 

I like this site because you can read nuanced thoughtful takes like Brisket's and then you can read pre menstrual off the rails emotional outbursts like the example above. All on the same subject! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

My old man was the same way with CFS (gringos gringo'd a gringo dish), hard to hear the end of it if we're in a restaurant and they charge $12+ for a plate. In our younger days, that meant mom going to the store,  buying all that's needed and dad making a killer CFS for his sons.

RIP dad and the Fajita King

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

I used to buy skirts in SA for 59 cents a pound.  

Good skirts too.

15 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Don’t bad mouth my former neighbor (almost). We lived three blocks north of his Woodland home in East Travis Heights during the 1960s. El Matt’s at 5th & East Avenue was our go-to TexMex place then. Puffy tacos ftw.

RIP Sr. Falcon.

Austin puffy tacos?

LMAO

Yeah, no.  Austinites have zero idea what real puffies are.  None.  Nada.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We did 50-60 years ago. None around here now.

Good point Brat, I retract my nasty judgement.

I can imagine that back in the 60s there could very well have been good puffies in ATX.

They definitely don't exist here now.  I've gone to each and every "recommended" place and been severely dissapointed.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Good point Brat, I retract my nasty judgement.

I can imagine that back in the 60s there could very well have been good puffies in ATX.

They definitely don't exist here now.  I've gone to each and every "recommended" place and been severely dissapointed.

I heard there was a joint on San Antonio’s north side that serves good ones.

Buncha places in SA serve good ones.  Hell, even chains like Las Palapas and Henry's have good puffies there.

Teka Molino's (the old one that used to be on St. Mary's) had top notch puffies back in my high school days.  

My favorites are at the Taco House on San Pedro.  Not only are they good, they weigh about a pound each...

rfl_16971.jpg