What is your idea of perfectly engineered?

NotActuallyALonghorn

Title says it. To me, there is little more satisfying than a single action revolver based on the 1873 peacemaker. The feel of pulling the hammer back. The clicks as you rotate the cylinder with the hammer at half cock. There have been many more practical handguns designed and made, but none so satisfying (like South Austin's mom).

So what to you is perfectly engineered?

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn
  • Like 1

A Briggs & Riley laptop bag.  Sure it has the looks of a bag off the bottom shelf of a Office DEpot.  but 7 years and a half million miles together, the thing is just embarrassingly well made.  Looks brand new and the compartment layout is spot-on.  No wasted space, no superfluous hooks or pockets, every zipper works flawlessly and stays in place.  I like the rest of the bag line as well.  If they made stickers for cars, I'd put one on.  

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Title says it. To me, there is little more satisfying than a single action revolver based on the 1873 peacemaker. The feel of pulling the hammer back. The clicks as you rotate the cylinder with the hammer at half cock. There have been many more practical handguns designed and made, but none so satisfying (like South Austin's mom).

So what to you is perfectly engineered?

In this vein, I would also include the 1911.  Nothing has a better stock trigger.  Few feel as "solid" and easy to shoot.  My Garand might also earn an honorable mention.  It's a tank of a rifle.  Heavy.  Solid.  Utterly dependable.  At the time, far and away the best battlefield rifle ever produced.  

Oh, and my wife's fake cans....I do like those as well......

• Like 1

In this vein, I would also include the 1911.  Nothing has a better stock trigger.  Few feel as "solid" and easy to shoot.  My Garand might also earn an honorable mention.  It's a tank of a rifle.  Heavy.  Solid.  Utterly dependable.  At the time, far and away the best battlefield rifle ever produced.  
In this vein I would also include the JP Rifle competition AR15. SOOOO smooth and handy.

John Deere 7920 tractor. 200 hp and you can swing that thing around like a lawn mower.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Parliament said:

High-end hiking shoes like Solomon and such. Not boots, but SHOES. Ie, "heavy duty high top sneakers."

Cargo pants that are 2% spandex.

Under Armor cold gear.

Yeti coffee mugs.

Weird you say that because I have a lot of Solomon hiking low rise, and they have been disappointing me lately.  What model do you recommend?

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Weird you say that because I have a lot of Solomon hiking low rise, and they have been disappointing me lately.  What model do you recommend?

Best shoes I've ever owned are Ahnu low hikers.  Rugged, light enough, waterproof.  They've taken me all over the world - comfortable walking a city, wet or dry.  They handle every hike through rough country that I've thrown at them.  But a few years ago, Teva bought them out, so I don't know what I'll replace them with. If Teva is still making a similar model, I'd check it out.

18 minutes ago, Parliament said:

High-end hiking shoes like Solomon and such. Not boots, but SHOES. Ie, "heavy duty high top sneakers."

Cargo pants that are 2% spandex.

Under Armor cold gear.

Yeti coffee mugs.

Solomon anything is the tits.  Wore my pair of Quest 4D's for 10 days in England.  Perfect.

I used to be a big UA fanboy, but I've gone back to wool.  Skiing & active hunting especially.  Specifically the line from FirstLite and/or Kuiu. 

I have a buddy that's somewhat of a gear-head.  Had a Shelby replica built and shipped down from Michigan.  It's insanely fast (720hp on the dyno @ 2,300 lbs) and obnoxiously loud.....scares people on the tollway.  It's just a beautiful piece of machinery.  These, and the eleanor's (gone in 60 seconds).

01-1550846979819@2x.jpg?1558049110000

• Like 1

I have a pair of "Safe-T" brand of some such hunting pants, you know, upland brush pants. My father hunted in them. He's been deceased since '88. I hunt in them, I'm 48. The same style from Filson are also damn near indestructible.

MY old Mossberg 500 pump action shot-gun. to coin an appropriate phrase, "takes a licking and keeps on ticking"

3 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

If we're talking shoes, I'm a G Nike man myself. 

cortez-basic-shoe-345sdw.jpg

Eating lunch with my son right now so maybe a little recency bias. I'd have to say pupusas. So delicious and terrible for you, but you just load up more curtido and  it works out in the end. 

is your name Hector>

and yes, generally, rifles and handguns are wonderfully engineered devices

7 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Big fan of the Carbine.

But a Galil is by far my favorite rifle. Made by some bad ass hebrews. 

• Like 1

My dad “bought” a Soviet made car when we lived in Berlin for the same burner reason, just to haul stuff- and by “bought” I mean traded an old portable Sony Walkman sized radio that he used for running which he got it in Japan for $6.

The thing was just like a Yugo only worse in that it had slat wood floors and a fucked differential because the Soviets didn’t make production quota by units, they did it by weight. So, in a year you were required to make 60 tons of engines instead of say 50,000 engines. Naturally, they just made really heavy engines. He took it to KaDeWe to pick up a washing machine and left it in front of when it wouldn’t start, no fucks given.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1