CBS pulls out of SEC deal; likely headed to ESPN in 2023

TexasMan

you have to wonder if CBS is walking away for good or if they said $300+ million for one game a week and a CCG fuck that it is more than the PAC 12 or Big 12 make for everything let ESPN bid against themselves

CBS just bid for a part of the MWC so they are not completely walking away from college football and I doubt a part of the MWC is all they will stick with

Fox went in pretty heavy on the Big 10 and they have part of the MWC too so they are not walking away and supposedly going to bid on the SEC SEC SEC content

NBC is the strange one that is content with just Notre Dame, but who knows

there are a lot of companies out there with a lot of "incomplete" channels that could use some more quality content and they seem content to NOT bid for it....then there is ESPN that has way too fucking much content already and bids against itself and starts networks to compete with themselves

sports programming stupidity

Edited by ButtFumble

27 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Disney owns ESPN. If ESPN goes $EC, gomers will be my new favorite Disney Princesses.

All things begin with Baby Yoda (ect.), then Deadpool (ect), then ESPN (ect.)...

tenor.gif?itemid=15846223

Disney is downright chokin' the game, XII (Oklahoma & Texas) will have to make some decisions pre-2025...
But then again, so does USC, whose league's 1st/ 2nd/ 3rd tier deals (indy PACN) only rake in $31 million [totaled] annually...

9 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

you have to wonder if CBS is walking away for good or if they said $300+ million for one game a week and a CCG fuck that it is more than the PAC 12 or Big 12 make for everything let ESPN bid against themselves

CBS just bid for a part of the MWC so they are not completely walking away from college football and I doubt a part of the MWC is all they will stick with

Fox went in pretty heavy on the Big 10 and they have part of the MWC too so they are not walking away and supposedly going to bid on the SEC SEC SEC content

NBC is the strange one that is content with just Notre Dame, but who knows

there are a lot of companies out there with a lot of "incomplete" channels that could use some more quality content and they seem content to NOT bid for it....then there is ESPN that has way too fucking much content already and bids against itself and starts networks to compete with themselves

sports programming stupidity

ESPN has done a good job the last decade with signing broadcasting deals with entities with football programs who either suck or swim in a sea of mediocrity.  

Longhorn Network=  I think we all know where we stand in the football world since this network cut teeth.

ACC Network= With the exception of Clemson, the whole conference has been a clusterfark before and after the deal.   

Look at some of the professional sports and see where TV ratings stand such as MLB and Monday Night Football.    

Maybe this is a bad precursor for the SEC?     Personally I don't think the new decade is going to be as good for the greatest conference to ever walk the earth and the up coming bowl season might be a sneak peak of this.

11 hours ago, kopp0e said:

What if XII winds up with a media package as adding best PAC brands:

FOX _ CBS 1st tier... 11am FOX (or) 2:30pm - 6pm FOX/ 2:30pm CBS
FOX _ ESPN 2nd tier... 11am (or) 2:30 - 6pm FS1/ 11am (or) 2:30 - 6pm ESPN

Meanwhile, ESPN expands for all rights of 3rd tier.../ expands league footprint in process... Could that pay SEC/ B1G type revenues..?

Negged for not using est

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might be talking out of my ass, but this feels like a streaming play to me. It’s a stupid spend for ESPN if you’re thinking about normalcy ESPN subscribers, but if you think in terms of Disney aggregating content for streaming it starts to make a lot more sense.

It means a bunch of conferences are about to get a major offer from ABC if that’s the case.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, El Squared said:

Gary Danielson no longer getting paid to guzzle Bama and GA jizz, guess he will campaign to be one of Saban’s semen analysts so he doesn’t go into withdrawal. 

Every Bama fan on the planet wants Gary Danielson frozen in carbonite.

Don't give a rat shit about any of this as long as i can still watch all the games i want without being futher nickled and dimed by whatever cable/sat/internet streaming service i'll have when all this goes down.

Sadly the last part is a pipe dream, Mickey's house is going to have to recoup their drunken sailor spending somehow, and if CFB becomes glorified flag football (in both senses of the word) in the coming decade thanks to CTE research, it will be increasingly difficult without passing along an ever increasing amount of the financial burden on those who are addicted to 5 months of football each year.

8 hours ago, ousux said:

Don't give a rat shit about any of this as long as i can still watch all the games i want without being futher nickled and dimed by whatever cable/sat/internet streaming service i'll have when all this goes down.

Sadly the last part is a pipe dream, Mickey's house is going to have to recoup their drunken sailor spending somehow, and if CFB becomes glorified flag football (in both senses of the word) in the coming decade thanks to CTE research, it will be increasingly difficult without passing along an ever increasing amount of the financial burden on those who are addicted to 5 months of football each year.

You'll be fine. As part of Prestige Worldwide, your games will still be mostly on ABC and ESPN proper. The rest of us will be nickled and dimed to see our teams play, like OSU-KSU this year on ESPN+. All of the "non-marque" (i.e., non blue-blood) matchups will cost $5 bucks a month (which by 2023 will probably be more like $15 or $20 per month).

Edited by 'stache

On 12/22/2019 at 11:56 AM, Farkimedes said:

I might be talking out of my ass, but this feels like a streaming play to me. It’s a stupid spend for ESPN if you’re thinking about normalcy ESPN subscribers, but if you think in terms of Disney aggregating content for streaming it starts to make a lot more sense.

It means a bunch of conferences are about to get a major offer from ABC if that’s the case.

This, the first streaming service that gets college football wins.