World Unrest as we enter the next decade

washparkhorn

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The prepper stuff is less about practical wisdom and more about funneling resources into the church, and was/is a good way of fostering an us vs them attitude, which helped control church members and keep them in the fold.    That, and their early leaders really fucked up and got the Mormons driven out of Illinois and Missouri, and put them into survivalist mode.   Completely self-inflicted.  

Prepper stuff in general is about separating the gullible from their money. 

• Like 1

The upper middle income countries which includes China passed peak 15-64 year old population. China did so in 2017 and reached peak employment in 2018 and are now experiencing decreased demand for goods.

Really? You got a link? I'm not disagreeing with you. Just wanna learn more.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Of course it’s been worse. Your point is meaningless, if you believe in linear time.

It’s not about where we are, it’s about where we’re headed.

Things weren’t so bad in 1912. Or in 1930. But they were headed for some real shit. We’ve actually seen this series of plays being run before. It ends in hypernationalist idiocy and the violence and cruelty that belief system makes inevitable.

Much of the world is effectively saying “hey, let’s do that whole 1895-1945 thing again, but this time we’ll get it right.” We won’t.

I don’t think populations around the world think they’ll get it right compared to the past. There’s little consideration given to that because people that experienced those times have almost completely died off. 

If you subscribe to any of the generational theory then the “Fourth Turning” that marks a period of massive upheaval and a resetting of the deck began with the 2007-8 financial crisis. Big banks and financial institutions almost wrecked the global economy and were bailed out. Almost no one went to jail. People were paid huge bonuses out of buyout funds. That’s when the populist wave started on both sides. Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party. 

Since then, things have only gotten worse. Wealth gap increasing. Trust in institutions worldwide is decreasing, especially traditional media which are basically PR depts for the establishment. 

I think in the next 10 years a lot of these things tensions will come to a head. 

On 12/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, tchookem said:
On 12/21/2019 at 2:51 PM, bernorange said:
Oh, so now you are inclined to entertain the WTO's recent warnings?  Imagine what happens when the world is gripped by a global recession and numerous sovereign currency/debt crises.

So what does the ordinary, average Surly Thousandaire do in preparation?

Any kind of big reset will involve the monetary system. I think it’s prudent to keep 5-10% in gold/bitcoin. The rest in real assets like real estate and then equities since they seem be where the inflation is happening. 

• Like 1

You see the path, and the danger....yet you steadfastly support the guy tossing gasoline on the tribalism fire...head shaking, man. Truly amazing.

We’re going to fucking burn, because even though we know we’re going to burn if we do this shit, we’ve got enough folks saying “yeah, let’s do this shit!”

Humanity is perpetually intent on destroying itself. Eventually, we’ll get it done.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You see the path, and the danger....yet you steadfastly support the guy tossing gasoline on the tribalism fire...head shaking, man. Truly amazing.

We’re going to fucking burn, because even though we know we’re going to burn if we do this shit, we’ve got enough folks saying “yeah, let’s do this shit!”

Humanity is perpetually intent on destroying itself. Eventually, we’ll get it done.

Yep. Wtf GRHorn?  

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They're doing just wonderful things these days with mood altering drugs, but I think you prefer to come here, and try too preach your bizarre brand of I know best, and we're all doomed, doomed to hell because I say so.

The facts is you simply don't know shit about half of what you rail on others about.  Go have a Merry Christmas, and get the fuck off your ledge, you're a bore.

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

"Don't fall in love with your suffering. Never presume that your suffering in itself is a proof of your authenticity."  ~ Zizek. 

Giving in to suffering makes you susceptible to more suffering. Persevere. And fight to end suffering. 

That passage is Brisket all over.  Jesus, how prescient.

Just now, washparkhorn said:

Sorry you don't like what I write, Onboard. Merry Christmas to you as well. 

Is your name Brisket, are you his sock ?  My post was directed at him, and his constant man on a ledge view of the world, and his verbose, let me tell you what YOU believe comments.  If you have that same outlook I really feel sorry for you, and a very sincere Merry Christmas to you as well brother.

One of the speakers at our daughters graduation at William & Mary spoke on your thread topic. He was a member of Mr. Obamas admin. and had worked with Hillary Clinton at the State dept. He said people talked about how much worse things were in the world today (this was 5 years ago).  He said the 24 hour news cycle was partly to blame for the doom, and gloom outlook so many had on the world.

He went thru a fairly long list of reasons why things are actually better today (tech advances, medical advances, war, economics, poverty, etc). I don't recall the specific examples, but his point was we're not worse, and in fact the world has getting better as a whole since WWII specifically.  There are certainly places where things are worse, but as a whole civilization is marching on.  Of course things can and do change, but I simply don't ascribe to the sky is getting ready to fall outlook on life (occasional bumps in the road not withstanding of course).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Tribalism was on upward trajectory before Trump with Obama (clinging to guns and religion). And Hillary would’ve worsened it as well (deplorable, irredeemable). 

Trump is far from the ideal President. I don’t steadfastly support him on everything, but he’s better than the current alternatives and he was better than his opponent in 2016. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is your name Brisket, are you his sock ?  My post was directed at him, and his constant man on a ledge view of the world, and his verbose, let me tell you what YOU believe comments.  If you have that same outlook I really feel sorry for you, and a very sincere Merry Christmas to you as well brother.

One of the speakers at our daughters graduation at William & Mary spoke on your thread topic. He was a member of Mr. Obamas admin. and had worked with Hillary Clinton at the State dept. He said people talked about how much worse things were in the world today (this was 5 years ago).  He said the 24 hour news cycle was partly to blame for the doom, and gloom outlook so many had on the world.

He went thru a fairly long list of reasons why things are actually better today (tech advances, medical advances, war, economics, poverty, etc). I don't recall the specific examples, but his point was we're not worse, and in fact the world has getting better as a whole since WWII specifically.  There are certainly places where things are worse, but as a whole civilization is marching on.  Of course things can and do change, but I simply don't ascribe to the sky is getting ready to fall outlook on life (occasional bumps in the road not withstanding of course).

This is the right outlook to take, while aware of changes happening. 

Brexit- do people in the U.K. use smoke signals yet? I heard that was gonna bring their country down.

Trump- remember when his election was gonna destroy the economy?

Trade War- remember when that was the end of the world as well?

The media and establishment “experts” almost all got those wrong. People notice these things. Another way that trust is lost in media. They’re just water boys for globalist elites. 

• Like 2

Any kind of big reset will involve the monetary system. I think it’s prudent to keep 5-10% in gold/bitcoin. The rest in real assets like real estate and then equities since they seem be where the inflation is happening. 

I agree with you. Cash has been a terrible investment for almost a generation. Wall Street won’t lose so follow them until you see them drug into the streets for a hanging. Gold and crypto sure but real estate most definitely.

And yes to the Fourth Turning.

I think today the only thing we must demand from our elected officials is integrity. It’s time to get it right.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, troph said:

I agree with you. Cash has been a terrible investment for almost a generation. Wall Street won’t lose so follow them until you see them drug into the streets for a hanging. Gold and crypto sure but real estate most definitely.

And yes to the Fourth Turning.

I think today the only thing we must demand from our elected officials is integrity. It’s time to get it right.

I think demanding integrity from elected officials, while it sounds nice, is fruitless. The positions and their power naturally attract bad actors, usually with mental pathologies. Especially as you go higher up the food chain. 

I enjoy the back and forth here (sometimes), but really the best thing to do imo is focus on your local people and issues and on doing the best for your family. 

6 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I think demanding integrity from elected officials, while it sounds nice, is fruitless. The positions and their power naturally attract bad actors, usually with mental pathologies. Especially as you go higher up the food chain. 

I enjoy the back and forth here (sometimes), but really the best thing to do imo is focus on your local people and issues and on doing the best for your family. 

I think integrity in all offices at all levels is doable and more so the more we as an electorate participate.  

• Like 4

On 12/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, GRHorn said:

Tribalism was on upward trajectory before Trump with Obama (clinging to guns and religion). And Hillary would’ve worsened it as well (deplorable, irredeemable). 

Trump is far from the ideal President. I don’t steadfastly support him on everything, but he’s better than the current alternatives and he was better than his opponent in 2016. 

This is the right outlook to take, while aware of changes happening. 

Brexit- do people in the U.K. use smoke signals yet? I heard that was gonna bring their country down.

Trump- remember when his election was gonna destroy the economy?

Trade War- remember when that was the end of the world as well?

The media and establishment “experts” almost all got those wrong. People notice these things. Another way that trust is lost in media. They’re just water boys for globalist elites. 

Man, if you think Trump has any redeemable qualities, you’re fucked in the head.

He’s an amazingly shitty human in the most powerful position on earth.

His damage isn’t going to be immediately evident everywhere  but it will be long lasting and tough to fix.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom said:

Brexit hasn't even fucking happened yet.  How it will affect England, the UK, and the EU is still unknown. 

Trump's tax cuts have sent us back to recession level deficits and we've exhausted the tools we'll need when the economy eventually stalls to give the rich tax breaks. This shit will come to a head.

The trade war had an extremely negative effect on farmers to the point that we've bailed them out to avoid bankruptcy, and our trade deficit is larger than ever and still growing. 

That's just touching on your points and not even getting into him fracturing our alliances, our respect and influence on the world stage,  or his cruelty-first immigration policies.

People who don't have their heads up their asses notice these things and lose trust in people like you who are dumb enough to think he's better than the alternatives.

Brexit has been a 3 year ordeal. During that time different deals have been put together and fallen apart, but the framework of the deal has become known. No mass exodus of companies leaving U.K.  No Pound collapse. Markets look ahead and they seem to think things will remain stable. Fair to say, the doomsayers were off. 

I don’t know why you brought up tax cuts. I thought they were unnecessary.

I’ll give you that the full Trade War effects could take longer to materialize, but I think as much as anything it has been about protecting America’s position from a tech/IP leadership standpoint and aggressively confronting China. And the negative sentiment in the media was much worse than what has materialized. It even got some of the bigger know-it-alls on here to switch all their investment to defensive positions. While they’ve probably done ok, they’ve certainly underperformed. 

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

The GR stands for giant retard 

nice dad joke

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 6:39 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Yep, if you don't vote, don't bitch. Make Election Day a national holiday as well. 

I disagree with you, and instead will side with George Carlin. Only those that are too lazy to vote have the right to bitch. All of you worthless voters are the ones who created this shit storm in the first place. 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 3:03 AM, washparkhorn said:

The shortage of women/girls in China/India:

It's a major problem in India... It's illegal, but in rural areas you'll find people who literally ride around on bikes with ultrasounds from village to village, allowing people to see what sex their fetus is very quickly. The dystopian future creeps up on you fast...

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Has it been pointed out that the next decade starts on Jan 1, 2021? 

Wars have started over less. Sadly. 

A kid born in 1990 was born in the nineties, not the eighties. 

We have progressed to plain English and there will be casualties along the way.

• Like 2

India joining the list of countries with major internal protests. Guess people don't like being told you can be a citizen only based on religion. 

India has been convulsed by the broadest unrest in at least seven years after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindu nationalist government brought in a law that many see as discriminatory against Muslims, who make up 14 percent of the population. 

All of the families of the five dead men say they were shot and killed by police as a protest flared against the new law. Reuters could not independently verify those accounts, and none of the more than 20 individuals Reuters interviewed saw police open fire. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-citizenship-protests-victims-in/muslim-fury-grows-after-protest-deaths-in-indian-neighborhood-idUSKBN1YU13V

20 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Has it been pointed out that the next decade starts on Jan 1, 2021? Hopefully we have a new President a few weeks later. 

A decade is any period of 10 years. The second decade of the 21st century begins that date, and you’d be correct in that sense. But literally no one counts decades that way-the whole “there is no year 0” thing isn’t really applicable because we don’t number decades like we do centuries.The 20s begin in 5 days. 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2019 at 6:17 AM, InkaUtexas said:

India joining the list of countries with major internal protests. Guess people don't like being told you can be a citizen only based on religion.

India has been convulsed by the broadest unrest in at least seven years after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Hindu nationalist government brought in a law that many see as discriminatory against Muslims, who make up 14 percent of the population. 

All of the families of the five dead men say they were shot and killed by police as a protest flared against the new law. Reuters could not independently verify those accounts, and none of the more than 20 individuals Reuters interviewed saw police open fire.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-citizenship-protests-victims-in/muslim-fury-grows-after-protest-deaths-in-indian-neighborhood-idUSKBN1YU13V

The bill in question, the CAA, doesn't affect current citizens. It's the impending NRC, in conjunction with inflammatory statements being made by the Home Minister Amit Shah, that are causing a lot of people to worry about what will happen to non-citizens in the upcoming census.

This is especially true in Bengal and Assam; during the 1971 Bangladeshi genocide, millions of refugees from Bangladesh fled religious persecution and settled in India as non-citizens.

Edited by satyanash

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...