Todd Dodge's Westlake team tonight

orangecat92

Talk about a good, solid, fundamentally coached team, this is it.  I think Todd was 2 for 2 - timeouts and touchdown passes.  I don't want him as an OC, I want  him as HC.   I know he had a horrible time  at north Texas, but some of the fundamentals tonight:

1. a DB looking for the ball while running backwards and catching the INT.

2. almost no penalties.  

3. no mistakes in the kicking game.  

4. A calm no-nonsense demeanor on the sidelines and solid interviews. 

He wouldn't even have to move.  He could get about a zillion percent raise, and finish his coaching career with a 5 or 6 year deal.  

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

First I've heard of the Timeouts to TD metric.  

1. An int.  Wow.

2. Define "almost."

3. Cool.

4. That's what I like.  Calm no-nonsenseness.

5. He can leave the house and instead of driving to Westlake, he can drive to Bellmont.

I remember offsetting penalties fairly early.  Don't remember if Westlake committed another penalty or not.  On the timeouts, it was if Todd knew his team needed to be calmed down and he did that  during the timeout and magically the next play after the TO was a TD pass.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Dodge to OC

if Todd gets selected as OC, then THerm will have masterfully managed to hire two coordinators who have quite possibly the worst records as college head coaches in the history of college head coaches.  

That being said, Todd's college head coaching experience was so long ago that I discount that completely.  

Success at Westlake for HS football is by no means analogous to college success.

One HS that has a ton of students try out for the football team. The ability to find "housing" for kids you need to bus in to fill holes and parents dedicated to their son being on the team and paying for extra lessons/coaching etc

In addition the kids have been running derivations of the play book since 4th grade.

Take nothing from Westlake being successful. Not saying he couldn't be a good coach, just don't let Westlake's success be a barometer of his ability.

• Like 2

Not saying Dodge would succeed at Texas - different game - but watching almost every game of his tenure here, I can assure that his teams are better coached than Herman’s team. They don’t make stupid mistakes, they fall on fumbles rather than try to pick them up and be the hero, they are solid tacklers and the kicking game is always reliable. Most impressively, they don’t have many D1 players on the current team so they rely on superior scheme. I know, what a concept! They use the clock incredibly efficiently, and somehow always find a way to score right before halftime.

LT ran a fake victory formation right before halftime last week vs Northshore that was a thing of beauty. Check it out in game highlights. These teams are light-years ahead of our Horns. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Not saying Dodge would succeed at Texas - different game - but watching almost every game of his tenure here, I can assure that his teams are better coached than Herman’s team. They don’t make stupid mistakes, they fall on fumbles rather than try to pick them up and be the hero, they are solid tacklers and the kicking game is always reliable. Most impressively, they don’t have many D1 players on the current team so they rely on superior scheme. I know, what a concept! They use the clock incredibly efficiently, and somehow always find a way to score right before halftime.

You just described every Westlake team ever, and plenty of other high school teams every year. Coaching in high school is different than in college. 

• Like 3

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

Holy shit man, I'm sold. You really think we have a shot at the guy who went (squints) 6-37 at North Texas? Let's keep the conversation flowing, lots of good ideas in this thread. 

Never said he should coach the Horns. Read more carefully. Just wondering why his HS kids play better fundamental football than our all-world (according to our $9.95 experts) college players. Seems like a fair question. 

• Like 1

Just now, TreatyOak said:

Never said he should coach the Horns. Read more carefully. Just wondering why his HS kids play better fundamental football than our all-world (according to our $9.95 experts) college players. Seems like a fair question. 

Dude, I'm on your side. That's what this board is missing. Smart, level headed football talk. Like, what is Bill Cowher doing nowadays? Do you think he would want to coach with Dodge? Seems like a fair question. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

LT ran a fake victory formation right before halftime last week vs Northshore that was a thing of beauty. Check it out in game highlights. These teams are light-years ahead of our Horns. 

To be fair, they stole that from Tulane.  Not that Tom couldn't learn from Tulane.

• Like 1

1. his record speaks for itself at north Texas state

2. you think Tom is arrogant well here is Todd....the guy that took a shit tonne of high school coordinators to north Texas state saying "football is football" and got the shit kicked out of him

3. there is no way that Tom and Todd would get along it would be a disaster

4. as others stated Westlake runs the same system from 6th grade on......just like at Southlake

5. Todd is not all that well liked around  coaching circled in high schools in Texas that does not help recruiting....Briles was at least respected even if some did not like him and Briles knows how to evaluate talent and place it in position to win.....as far as I can see Todd is not good at those things......he had a pretty shitty record as a HS coach before Southlake as well.....as far as I can see Todd knows how to call plays with highly experienced players in a system they have been in all of their time in football

6. he is not exactly a QB guru he had nothing at north Texas state and kept running his way undersized son out there until he was about dead

this is NOT the hire Texas needs

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’m fine with the other classes,  But 6A should be one championship 

That’s the class that needs 2 divisions the most, 5000+ student difference in enrollment between smallest 6A school and the biggest. These past 2 years in particular are making it more obvious than ever. North Shore or Duncanville would brutalize both participants in the 6A D2 game, the size/speed advantage is too vast. That Guyer freshman might’ve actually been killed by a North Shore player.

52 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I wonder if there were any kind of data points of Dodge coaching at the collegiate level that we could reference. 

• Like 2

And it really worked out well for them in the grand scheme of things in that game.

Say, what's Charlie Weis up to these days? Any chance he's taken over at Bishop Gorman or De La Salle and won a state title? Because if so, i would love to see our Horns playing with the decided schematic advantage that he would bring.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 2

I will point out that teams often appear to play smarter and with more fundamentals when they have an edge in physical talent. Conversely, you fundamental all you want and still look dumb as shit when outgunned physically. Probably don’t want to draw coaching conclusions from either situation 

Not sure I understand why head coaches with terrible records would make bad coordinators. 

Sometimes a coordinator position is a dude's ceiling, and they're great at that but terrible at anything more. 

I am not advocating for Dodge to join the staff, but there are probably plenty of other reasons to dismiss that idea besides his HC record. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

1. his record speaks for itself at north Texas state

2. you think Tom is arrogant well here is Todd....the guy that took a shit tonne of high school coordinators to north Texas state saying "football is football" and got the shit kicked out of him

3. there is no way that Tom and Todd would get along it would be a disaster

4. as others stated Westlake runs the same system from 6th grade on......just like at Southlake

5. Todd is not all that well liked around  coaching circled in high schools in Texas that does not help recruiting....Briles was at least respected even if some did not like him and Briles knows how to evaluate talent and place it in position to win.....as far as I can see Todd is not good at those things......he had a pretty shitty record as a HS coach before Southlake as well.....as far as I can see Todd knows how to call plays with highly experienced players in a system they have been in all of their time in football

6. he is not exactly a QB guru he had nothing at north Texas state and kept running his way undersized son out there until he was about dead

this is NOT the hire Texas needs

Ah yes, the mean Green bobcats.

Edited by Burt Macklin