Serious question. Why are people Cowboys fans?

Aqua Buddha

I'm not talking about people from Dallas or even Texas.  I get why you're a fan of the local team.  

What I don't understand, is why are people in random cities Cowboys fans?  (They're everywhere and the Cowboys are still the #1 brand in sports.) Looking back over the last 25 years, they are a petri dish of mediocrity.  Lots of seasons of Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett, Dave Campo, etc.  I'd be surprised if they were .500 since 2000.  Yet, there are throngs of people watching their games and spending $100 on Dak Prescott jerseys despite living in some random place.

So, really, why are people who don't have a tie to Dallas and are under the age of 25 Cowboy fans?  

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

Why is anyone a fan of a team in a different city? Their family is from Dallas/Texas; their friends like the Cowboys; the team is on TV all the time; people like tradittional winners; people like to be hated; Jerry is an interesting character.

Really not that complicated. 

I don't know about the 25 and unders but americas team was branded back in the 70s.  They won more games than any other franchise from the late 60s to late 70s, played in 5 Super Bowls, they had some of the biggest rivalries in the NFL with the steelers and the eagles, and they had the cheerleaders.  

Interesting note, the TV show Dallas aired from 1978-1991.  That show propelled Texas and Dallas specifically into international stardom.  Many people in countries like France would give you the double bird if you said you were American, yet if you told them you were from Texas you were nearly a celebrity.  

Coincidentally, the cowboys won the Super Bowl in 1977 and 1992 seasons, bookending the tv show.  Longhorn network?

Austin is a great place to live, you can be a spurs, astros and cowboys fan and no one gives a shit.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I ceased being a Cowboys fan when that carpetbagging Arkansas yayhoo Jerrah treated the venerated Tom Landry like shit.

Me too.  Growing up in Brenham I was always Oilers #1 and Cowboys #2.  Then Jones came along and ran off 2 great Longhorns in Landry and Schramm and I was done with them.

I think the Cowboys long benefited from the ubiquitous TV coverage they enjoyed in the 70's and 80's that most franchises did not.  Much like the Braves on TBS, the Bulls on WGN, the Fighting Irish on NBC.  But unlike those teams, the Cowboys opted to not win games over the last several decades.  

Having said that, picking on people for being Cowboys fans is a strange gambit.  It's the NFL that is a complete and total waste of time and money.  People will bitch and moan about too many college football bowl games and then will watch some obscure Falcons/Jets game on PPV because they need to check in with their 2nd team TE for their fantasy football league team.  

Cheering for the Cowboys is much like staying with your political party or organize religion of choice...it's stays with us largely because of our childhood.  But we believed in those things because we were children.  And back in our naive childhood is where all that bullshit belongs.  

13 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

I don't know about the 25 and unders but americas team was branded back in the 70s.  They won more games than any other franchise from the late 60s to late 70s, played in 5 Super Bowls, they had some of the biggest rivalries in the NFL with the steelers and the eagles, and they had the cheerleaders.  

Interesting note, the TV show Dallas aired from 1978-1991.  That show propelled Texas and Dallas specifically into international stardom.  Many people in countries like France would give you the double bird if you said you were American, yet if you told them you were from Texas you were nearly a celebrity.  

Coincidentally, the cowboys won the Super Bowl in 1977 and 1992 seasons, bookending the tv show.  Longhorn network?

Austin is a great place to live, you can be a spurs, astros and cowboys fan and no one gives a shit.  

OK Boomer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm not talking about people from Dallas or even Texas.  I get why you're a fan of the local team.  

What I don't understand, is why are people in random cities Cowboys fans?  (They're everywhere and the Cowboys are still the #1 brand in sports.) Looking back over the last 25 years, they are a petri dish of mediocrity.  Lots of seasons of Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett, Dave Campo, etc.  I'd be surprised if they were .500 since 2000.  Yet, there are throngs of people watching their games and spending $100 on Dak Prescott jerseys despite living in some random place.

So, really, why are people who don't have a tie to Dallas and are under the age of 25 Cowboy fans?  

I live in the Phoenix area and there are probably more cowboys fans than cardinals fans. It’s 100% because of the dynasty cowboys years. Either you hopped on the bandwagon in the 70s or in the early 90s and their kids were born into it. Even though this team is a fucking joke, there’s a reason they still get more primetime games, and 3:25 “America’s game of the week” time slots than any other team in the sport. 

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I live in the Phoenix area and there are probably more cowboys fans than cardinals fans. It’s 100% because of the dynasty cowboys years. Either you hopped on the bandwagon in the 70s or in the early 90s and their kids were born into it. Even though this team is a fucking joke, there’s a reason they still get more primetime games, and 3:25 “America’s game of the week” time slots than any other team in the sport. 

And thanksgiving day every year

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I ceased being a Cowboys fan when that carpetbagging Arkansas yayhoo Jerrah treated the venerated Tom Landry like shit.

Same here.

I was an adolescent at the time so this is how I remember the firing of Tom Landry.

spacer.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I live in the Phoenix area and there are probably more cowboys fans than cardinals fans. It’s 100% because of the dynasty cowboys years. Either you hopped on the bandwagon in the 70s or in the early 90s and their kids were born into it.

Arizona was a huge market for the Cowboys before the Cardinals and still is. The Cowboys Radio Network had a bunch of stations out there going back to the 60's.

• Like 1

For me, my dad grew up raising me as a Dallas Cowboys fan during the Aikman dynasty...
(I'm a dog wagging his tail to the trash at this point with Garret as head coach, boom-bam)

So the beat goes on, regardless of how bad the team seems to falter at different points...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:
3 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
Well he did. So there’s that...

Why did he fire him? Reply with the answer of exactly why he did it.

I have no idea why he fired him. That wasn’t the question. You said (or insinuated) that he didn’t. Jerry himself says he regrets the way he fired him. We can argue semantics all day, but Jerry literally was the person that fired him lol

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Tom Landry was going to be fired by Bum Bright, before the sale happened. Jerry said that would be in poor taste, and to allow the sale to happen and the firing to be done by the new ownership because it is more professional.  

So Jerry Jones fired Tom Landry?

• Like 1

And anyway, even if Jerry didn’t fire him technically, Jerry also hired fucking Barry Switzer. 

That closed the door on my Cowboys fan chapter. Looking back on it, it seems sorta stupid since Barry is kind of a hoot. But he may as well have been the antichrist while he was at OU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was meh when Landry was unceremoniously let go.  I understood why it happened.  Still didn't like it.

Barry fucking Switzer was the straw, nay the bale of hay, that wrecked it for me.  And even then, we had only glimpses of what a shitgibbon is Jerral Wayne Jones.

Also, I didn't care for Jimmy Johnson and his fucking hair helmet.  The guy can coach, but he's a sociopath and a cheesedick.  

I didn't really miss not having an NFL team to root for, still don't.  Now I question why anyone gives a single solitary fuck about the NFL.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yes.  I never said he didn’t fire Tom Landry. I said Tom Landry was getting fired whether Jerry bought the team or not, and that Bum Bright was going to do it in an even more ridiculous fashion than Jerry.  

Yeah my question was meant for stanco.

36 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:
Tom Landry was gonna get fired by Bum Bright.   

Apparently a lot of people think jerry fired tom Landry still to this day. Ignorance is bliss.

25 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Well he did. So there’s that...

I'm just gonna let youdunnfdup have the final word on this.

• Like 1

Hanging onto the Cowboys or any other major flawed enterprise ( relative to the audience/ fans) is like never getting over losing out on your high school crush. There is no acceptance of the reality that you have been dumped and / or passed over.

In the case of the Cowboys it’s JJ and his meddle fingers that are all about scooping money and attention  apparently, but definitely not about Ws and Ls.

Some folks enjoy pain and suffering, but get out of here stating you are a true fan if you are actively being trolled by ownership/mgmt.

You  not a fan being a fan, you are being a sports cuck, and you like it that way.

Edited by El Squared

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:
5 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
So we’re back tracking now and rewording what you originally said. 

Got it 

If jerry wouldn't have fired tom, could he have purchased the cowboys? Yes or no.

I honestly don’t give a flying fuck about the semantics. You said that you think it’s funny that people think that Jerry fired Tom Landry lol. He DID, in fact, fire Tom landry. That is a fact. It is an irrefutable fact. What are we even talking about lol. When you add what I quoted in bold in my last post, it changes the entire context of what you said. I get what you’re saying...now. But that’s not what you said in your original post when you referenced this situation. Just admit that you worded it poorly and we can move on. We’re bogging down this thread.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:
12 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
So we’re back tracking now and rewording what you originally said. 

Got it 

If jerry wouldn't have fired tom, could he have purchased the cowboys? Yes or no.

Show your work.

Bright was an asshole and seemed pretty sick of Landry, but why the fuck would anyone selling a team specify that the head coach had to be fired by the buyer?  If it was an act of spite, why not just do it before selling the team?  Further, Bright was up to his ass in  alligators at the time he sold the Cowboys, I don't think he was driving a real hard bargain.

I've read pretty extensively on the subject and don't recall anything like that underlying the story.

To wit, https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1990-02-26-sp-1290-story.html

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Why are the majority longhorn fans? We haven't done shit since 09.

That is not a valid comparison: JJ has been singularly the person at the helm for decades AND he did know what moves were needed to win early on, not so with multiple “management teams” for the Longhorns over a similar time period. 

• Like 1

I honestly don’t give a flying fuck about the semantics. You said that you think it’s funny that people think that Jerry fired Tom Landry lol. He DID, in fact, fire Tom landry. That is a fact. It is an irrefutable fact. What are we even talking about lol. When you add what I quoted in bold in my last post, it changes the entire context of what you said. I get what you’re saying...now. But that’s not what you said in your original post when you referenced this situation. Just admit that you worded it poorly and we can move on. We’re bogging down this thread.
Not scrolling up 25 posts to see if I worded something poorly. I probably did, I am 5 shiners in right now.

My point was jerry didnt fire tom because he wanted to fire tom. It was because tex and bum hated tom. And for jerry to buy the cowboys, the one thing he had to do was fire tom. If he didnt, he couldnt buy the team, plain and simple. My point was dumbasses think jerry came in and THEN fired tom. They dont know shit.

I hate jerry and love Tom. That's beside the point however.