Austin’s first measles case since 1999 contracted disease in Europe, officials say

HenryJames

https://www.statesman.com/news/20191222/austinrsquos-first-measles-case-since-1999-contracted-disease-in-europe-officials-say

Public health officials are warning “out of an abundance of caution” about possible exposure to the disease and are advising people to call their doctor if they developed a fever after visiting the following locations on certain dates:

‒Dec. 14 (evening), Chipotle Mexican Grill, 6301 West Parmer Lane

‒Dec. 14-16, HEB, 6001 West Parmer Lane

‒Dec. 15, Saam Thai, 6301 West Parmer Lane

‒Dec. 15-16, Mandola’s Italian, 4700 West Guadalupe Street

‒Dec. 16 (2 p.m. to 4 p.m.), Target, 10107 Research Boulevard, and Marco’s Pizza, 11011 Research Boulevard

‒Dec. 17, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, United Airlines and gate area, 3600 Presidential Boulevard

So your first instinct after feeling seriously ill after traveling abroad is to eat at some of the worst places in north austin for almost a full business week?   I’d hate to see what this person eats when they’re feeling great. 

Was wondering how the fuck there is a West Guadalupe and have now learned the section of Guadalupe between 45th and where it meets with Lamar is West Guadalupe and the part that goes off to the right just past Walgreens is Guadalupe. 

Learn something new every day.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Was wondering how the fuck there is a West Guadalupe and have now learned the section of Guadalupe between 45th and where it meets with Lamar is West Guadalupe and the part that goes off to the right just past Walgreens is Guadalupe. 

Learn something new every day.

Yeah, my office is On east side of West Guadalupe.  On the left side if you’re heading southbound on west Guadalupe to get to Guadalupe.  You can almost get to the closed end of North Loop and South First & First intersections from here. 

anyway back to what caused this?   This is why we don’t let people meet at the gates anymore, Karen!

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, my office is On east side of West Guadalupe.  On the left side if you’re heading southbound on west Guadalupe to get to Guadalupe.  

I'm on the west side of east mopac. On the right side if you head southbound on Anderson but the left side if you're northbound on Burnet. 

2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'm on the west side of east mopac. On the right side if you head southbound on Anderson but the left side if you're northbound on Burnet. 

There is actually a street whose official, mailing name is “West Guadalupe street”

there is no such road as ‘East mopac’. That’s a trail system in Nebraska, which is where I go when I get the measles.  

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/06/north-texas-doctors-fear-measles-outbreak/

This happened in Ft. Worth in 2011.  It was my best friend and his wife.  Also fellow Longhorns.  He said it was the most painful thing he'd ever gone through.  

He wasn't vaccinated as a child because of an egg allergy.  At least that's what he told me.  His mom was heavily into crystals and hippy shit, so IMO, I'm pretty sure that was a contributor.  

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if his mom was an early anti-vaccer.  No idea why his wife wasn't immunized.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Explanation of mom.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/06/north-texas-doctors-fear-measles-outbreak/

This happened in Ft. Worth in 2011.  It was my best friend and his wife.  Also fellow Longhorns.  He said it was the most painful thing he'd ever gone through.  

He wasn't vaccinated as a child because of an egg allergy.  At least that's what he told me.  His mom was heavily into crystals and hippy shit, so IMO, I'm pretty sure that was a contributor.  

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if his mom was an early anti-vaccer.  No idea why his wife wasn't immunized.

I'm curious how one would even know if they were vaccinated as a kid. I did K-12 through the 80's and 90's and I have no idea what was mandatory at the time. I remember there were kids that got the measles, mumps and chickenpox in elementary school. I'm guessing the vaccination wasn't mandatory in the early 1980's.

3 minutes ago, F250 said:

I'm curious how one would even know if they were vaccinated as a kid. I did K-12 through the 80's and 90's and I have no idea what was mandatory at the time. I remember there were kids that got the measles, mumps and chickenpox in elementary school. I'm guessing the vaccination wasn't mandatory in the early 1980's.

Not sure. He was born in 73, so the 80's would have been his elem school years.  HIs mom had him positive he was allergic to everything and would give him rock crystals every time he got hurt, so who knows what he did and didn't do?

Not sure. He was born in 73, so the 80's would have been his elem school years.  HIs mom had him positive he was allergic to everything and would give him rock crystals every time he got hurt, so who knows what he did and didn't do?

Mom probably made that up early on to keep people from pressuring her to do the right thing (vaccinate her kid).

Offer him a fried egg sandwich next time he comes over. No one not allergic is gonna refuse. When he accepts the sandwich, confront him about his web of lies.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Yeah, it's weird how hardly anybody is getting chickenpox over the last 15-20 years or so.  Shit, we got dragged over to a friend's house when he caught it, and our parents were straight up "you're gonna catch it now, and its gonna suck, but here's some Star Wars action figures from that Umpire Strikes Back movie, and you'll thank us when you're adults".

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, it's weird how hardly anybody is getting chickenpox over the last 15-20 years or so.  Shit, we got dragged over to a friend's house when he caught it, and our parents were straight up "you're gonna catch it now, and its gonna suck, but here's some Star Wars action figures from that Umpire Strikes Back movie, and you'll thank us when you're adults".

Yeah, thanks for the shingles, Mom!

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

When my wife was pregnant with our first kid, I made sure and get all of the vaccinations they offered, that I was eligible for.  Same with the second kid.  I should have kept up with my tetanus at the very least over the years.

I got the Tdap a few years ago. Bring on the rusty nails!

Weird thing about that vaccination was I was coaching a baseball practice that evening and the fields were infested with mosquitoes. Everyone was spraying some Off except me. I looked at my arms which had a bunch of mosquitoes on them but no biting. Mosquitoes would crawl around for a second and then fly off. What the hell was in that vaccine?

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I got the Tdap a few years ago. Bring on the rusty nails!

Weird thing about that vaccination was I was coaching a baseball practice that evening and the fields were infested with mosquitoes. Everyone was spraying some Off except me. I looked at my arms which had a bunch of mosquitoes on them but no biting. Mosquitoes would crawl around for a second and then fly off. What the hell was in that vaccine?

It is like World War Z. They know you are infected.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, miguelito said:

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure someone had sex with a monkey.

Monkeys don’t wanna be fucked by people. Think about it. Think about how hard it would be to catch a monkey… and fuck it. That’s ridiculous. That’s how it had to go down.
You think you’re going to walk up to him in the woods… and bribe this n****r with fruits and bananas? ”Hey, buddy, hey. ”There you go, buddy, yeah. ”There you go, your big bright red ass. ”This big bright red booty.” Do you know how strong a monkey is? It would rip your dick off like a celery stalk. Throw that shit in the tall grass, to never be seen again.

”Hey, dog, we’re gonna go to the club, pick up some girls, you trying to roll?” ”No, man, I’m cool. ”I’m gonna stay home, chill with my monkey. ”You know how long it took me to train this monkey… ”to suck my dick… ”without peeling it?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2019 at 3:33 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Umpire Strikes Back was the shittiest of the SW movies. No one wanted to watch the umps strike in solidarity of the 94-95 players strike. 

• Like 2

Not too long after moving from France to America I was singled out in school one day and sent to the “nurse’s office” without any warning at all. They zap me with the devious looking jet injector and send me back to class with no fucks given. Still don’t know what that was for, and probably didn’t even mention it to my mother afterward. Different times for sure.

2 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Not too long after moving from France to America I was singled out in school one day and sent to the “nurse’s office” without any warning at all. They zap me with the devious looking jet injector and send me back to class with no fucks given. Still don’t know what that was for, and probably didn’t even mention it to my mother afterward. Different times for sure.

As big as I am on privacy, personal freedom, and the like, the people exhibited below make me think that time was better  (no cr).

On 12/13/2019 at 5:58 AM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Makes you want to laugh and cry at the same time. The comments below the tweets are on point. My favorite: "Even when given the fact that they are in the wrong room, they still insist on ignoring the evidence. Very on brand."

On 12/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, texanbychoice said:

I live in New York where this is fairly common from the Hasidic Jews coming back from Israel. Maddening.

I had the same experience while rotating in hospitals in Brooklyn. Agree it was maddening dealing with this issue with population. In fact, the measles outbreak about 1.5 years ago was traced to Israel.

Edited by UDontKnow

On 12/23/2019 at 4:33 PM, atomheartbevo said:

The problem with catching chickenpox is that years down the road when your immune system weakens, you have to worry about shingles.

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The problem with catching chickenpox is that years down the road when your immune system weakens, you have to worry about shingles.

Didn't realize that. I mean, I knew it was the same virus or strain or whatever that medical word is, but not that part of it. I thought almost every kid got the pox. Of course I'm 42 and don't have kids, so things are prly different.  I know shingles are about the worst gotdamn thing I've ever been through and I would implore anybody who can avoid it in any way to do so. 

Didn't realize that. I mean, I knew it was the same virus or strain or whatever that medical word is, but not that part of it. I thought almost every kid got the pox. Of course I'm 42 and don't have kids, so things are prly different.  I know shingles are about the worst gotdamn thing I've ever been through and I would implore anybody who can avoid it in any way to do so. 

There is a pretty good vaccine for shingles now.

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

There is a pretty good vaccine for shingles now.

Yeah, the shingles vaccine (Shingrix) is about 85-90% effective for the first 4 years after vaccination. However, you are still better off in adulthood having received the Varicella vaccine as a kid rather than actually getting the virus. If you get chickenpox, the virus remains latent in the dorsal root ganglia. Then as a person becomes more immunocompromised through age, the virus can be reactivated.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, the shingles vaccine (Shingrix) is about 85-90% effective for the first 4 years after vaccination. However, you are still better off in adulthood having received the Varicella vaccine as a kid rather than actually getting the virus. If you get chickenpox, the virus remains latent in the dorsal root ganglia. Then as a person becomes more immunocompromised through age, the virus can be reactivated.

Nothing latent about your mom’s dorsal root ganglia 

Edited by Js1

I would argue that most of us probably had chicken pox as kids well before there was ever the Varicella vaccine as it was not licensed in the US until 1995. So yeah, now, get your kids the Varicella vaccine. For those of us who didn't have that option, Shingles vaccine it is.

54 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I would argue that most of us probably had chicken pox as kids well before there was ever the Varicella vaccine as it was not licensed in the US until 1995.

Something like 98% of people over the age of 40 have been exposed to chickenpox. But someone asked why parents don't intentionally expose their kids to chickenpox anymore. The reason is two-fold. They don't need to because a vaccine is available and they can lessen their chances of getting shingles if they aren't exposed to the live virus.