Former NJ Governor Chris Christie

Gil Bang

27 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I used to work with a guy who said Cristie's motorcade stopped into a convenience store while and Christie went in and bought multiple candy bars.

Well that would be the "yeah no shit" story of the year.  

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Whenever I see this photo, I think that somebody MUST have seen him beforehand and told him that this was not a good look.  Yet he still did it.

no shit, you wear your belt low and let your belly hangover.

at the very least leave your jersey untucked.

fat guy amateur hour.

On 12/23/2019 at 9:53 PM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Whenever I see this photo, I think that somebody MUST have seen him beforehand and told him that this was not a good look.  Yet he still did it.

How long do you want your road closed for construction? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Christie was on Pod Save America this week and it had me at different points admiring him, rolling my eyes and downright irate.  

I honestly look forward to him v Trump on debate stage as I think he’s the only one in the primary that can fuck Trump’s shit up in a debate.  

But he is so afraid to say that he was a Trump supporter because “team”.  Dude.  It’s ok.  We aren’t going to hold it against you in the primaries and you have no shot in the general.  Don’t be afraid to admit you supported Trump because it helped you. Not because you believed in the dude. 

Then he drew equivalencies between Hunter and Trump’s grifting kids and Joe’s and Trump’s responsibility there and hand waived the Crowe/Thomas stuff and you realize he’s still just another grifting  asshole.  

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Christie was on Pod Save America this week and it had me at different points admiring him, rolling my eyes and downright irate.  

I honestly look forward to him v Trump on debate stage as I think he’s the only one in the primary that can fuck Trump’s shit up in a debate.  

But he is so afraid to say that he was a Trump supporter because “team”.  Dude.  It’s ok.  We aren’t going to hold it against you in the primaries and you have no shot in the general.  Don’t be afraid to admit you supported Trump because it helped you. Not because you believed in the dude. 

Then he drew equivalencies between Hunter and Trump’s grifting kids and Joe’s and Trump’s responsibility there and hand waived the Crowe/Thomas stuff and you realize he’s still just another grifting  asshole.  

yeah, he's no better than trump. what he makes up for in smarts he negates with negative charisma. he's still the same old caricature of a politician - willing to say whatever it takes to get elected.

I wish Jon would have asked him how much money Crowe had given him or if he had paid for his kids’ private school.  

The “I supported him until election night” was infuriating.  Trump is the exact same person today that he was in 2020, 2016, 2010, etc.  If Christie’s telling the truth and didn’t see that then he is the dumbest MFer on the face of the earth. I doubt that’s the case and he’s just another craven politician, who, as said, supported him be “team red”.  Just own it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Then he drew equivalencies between Hunter and Trump’s grifting kids and Joe’s and Trump’s responsibility there

This pissed me off.  Lovett sorta tried to come back at him for it, but realized it was a useless play.

I give him credit, however slim, for taking on a lot of Trump's BS while also having some small remnant of an elected or appointed political career.  That's an exceeding rare quality these days, although it doesn't absolve him of other shittiness.

I give him credit, however slim, for taking on a lot of Trump's BS while also having some small remnant of an elected or appointed political career.  That's an exceeding rare quality these days, although it doesn't absolve him of other shittiness.

…however slim….

Nice.
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, Bullneck said:

Everyone on that stage is an asshole but it's hard to watch this and not come away with just a little admiration for Christie. 

Too bad he didn’t drop a Phil Hartman as Sinatra line…. I’ve got chunks of guys like you in my stool! 

Just finished the full interview with Lovett and he was SO close to saying it, but when he was talking about 2016 Christie vs now, what he should have asked was this:

"So, you either are an idiot or a liar.  Which is it?  You claim you didn't know in 2016 that Trump was a bullshit conman.  How did we all know this from the get go?  Are we just smarter than you?"

He beat around the bush with it, but should have just made him make that distinction.  It's either one or the other.  There is no other option.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2023 at 1:49 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

Didn't know he was on that podcast.  I'll attempt to listen to it, but very likely it will end early with me screaming/swearing and turning it off in disgust.  

He can come across as reasoned and principled as long as you set aside the fact that he carried Trump's water for FUCKING YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS.

He can persuade you that he'll crush Trump in a 2024 debate as long as you set aside the fact that THOSE EXACT DEBATES HAPPENED IN 2016.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Didn't know he was on that podcast.  I'll attempt to listen to it, but very likely it will end early with me screaming/swearing and turning it off in disgust.  

He can come across as reasoned and principled as long as you set aside the fact that he carried Trump's water for FUCKING YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS.

He can persuade you that he'll crush Trump in a 2024 debate as long as you set aside the fact that THOSE EXACT DEBATES HAPPENED IN 2016.

And the fact that Trump is too cowardly to debate.

1 hour ago, Paul Wesley said:

This subject was the majority of the interview.  He could never come up with a reason why other than "I agreed with his policies" and "I didn't know how bad he was".  Lovett should have asked him to name some of those policies, but I still maintain he should have hammered him with "so you're admitting you are either an idiot or a liar, which is it?"

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

and if you take trump out of the equation he's still a lying piece of shit pushing a culture war agenda - again, while the world literally burns. fuck ANYONE in the GOP

• Hook 'Em 3

Watching Trump talk, it's just so plainly obvious what a vile, selfish, malicious person he is, and how little he fucking cares about America or anyone in it.

But watching Christie talk makes me way more ragey, because Christie embarrassingly rolled over like a little fawning bitch to enable and justify selfish and anti-American behaviors (up to and perhaps also including overthrowing American democracy), but then almost immediately, he goes out and claims the moral high ground and wants us to know he's principled and steadfast, and he's the antidote to the monster he enabled for half a decade.

Remember that Trump gave Christie covid when they were doing debate prep in 2020.  Not ten or fifteen years ago, where he could have some plausible deniability, but 20fucking20... looooooooooong after we saw Trump make a political career out of racist claims against a black man's Americanness, mock a reporter's disability, talk about his own daughter in sexual terms, cavort with Epstein, brag about getting away with serial sexual assault, insult the parents of a man who died fighting for this country, extort Zelensky, stand on an international stage in Finland and repudiate American intelligence agencies in favor of sucking up to Putin, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If I were interviewing Christie, I would lose my fucking mind if he tried to say, "I just didn't know how bad Trump was."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

He's still a grade A asshole...

What started with days of traffic jams in an obscure New Jersey town has now become a major scandal for one of the most prominent U.S. politicians. For those of you west of the Poconos, or just with normal lives, here’s how the closure of two lanes on a bridge over the Hudson River suddenly became the epicenter of American political news.

Governor who?

Chris Christie is seen as a rising star in the Republican Party and a possible presidential contender in 2016. He won a second term as governor of Democratic-leaning New Jersey, the 11th-largest U.S. state, in November. He was the keynote speaker at the party’s 2012 convention, serves as chairman of the Republican Governors Association and led all other potential GOP contenders in a recent CNN/ORC International poll.

So what happened on the bridge?

Back in September, two months before Christie’s re-election, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey closed two of the three lanes that lead to the George Washington Bridge in Fort Lee, across the Hudson from Manhattan. That caused days of massive traffic jams in Fort Lee, where the Democratic mayor had declined to endorse Christie.

The closures were ordered by David Wildstein, a Christie confidante and the governor’s appointee to the Port Authority, which operates the nation’s busiest bridge. They immediately sparked speculation by Democrats that the action amounted to political retaliation against Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich. That led to hearings in New Jersey’s state legislature and the December resignations of Wildstein – who had said the closures were part of a traffic study – and Bill Baroni, New Jersey’s top Port Authority official.

Then came Wednesday’s revelation that a top Christie aide had e-mailed Wildstein before the closures, telling him, “Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.” In a lengthy news conference Thursday, Christie announced he had fired the author of that e-mail, deputy chief of staff Bridget Anne Kelly, and said he was “embarrassed and humiliated” by the “abject stupidity” of the move.

On the George Washington Bridge: ‘Those days … worse than a disaster’

Politics ain’t beanbag. What’s the big deal?

Fort Lee’s emergency medical services chief warned at the time that the resulting traffic jams could have life-or-death implications for residents by delaying firefighters and paramedics. He listed several examples, including car wrecks, chest pains and a 91-year-old woman who suffered a heart attack and later died.

And politically, several analysts say the scandal endangers any national ambitions Christie may have.

“If a woman died here, he’s in deep, deep trouble,” said David Gergen, a CNN senior political analyst.

The former federal prosecutor’s combative personality has produced some compelling video clips over the past few years, particularly when confronted with hecklers. Critics call him a bully – an allegation Christie denied in his news conference Thursday, but one Gergen said the Fort Lee scandal reinforces.

“There’s something about this that’s so petty and so vindictive … he’s going to have to find some way to defuse this to prove he doesn’t run a shop like that,” Gergen said.

Now what?

Investigations and some “soul searching” on the part of the governor, who said he was “blindsided” by the e-mails.

“I have worked for the last 12 years in public life developing a reputation for honesty and directness and blunt talk, one that I think is well-deserved,” he said. “But, you know, when something like this happens, it is appropriate for you to question yourself. And certainly I am, and I am soul searching on this.”

But first, he headed to Fort Lee for a mea culpa – a personal, “face-to-face” apology to Sokolich and the people of his town Thursday afternoon, which Sokolich called “gracious” and “conciliatory.”

That may not be the end of it, however. State lawmakers are still holding hearings into the bridge scandal. Wildstein refused to testify before the state General Assembly’s Transportation Committee on Thursday afternoon, invoking his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

And the U.S. attorney’s office in Trenton – the governor’s old post – says it’s looking into whether any federal laws were broken. Both the Port Authority’s inspector-general and state Sen. Barbara Buono, Christie’s opponent in November, have asked federal authorities to step in.

Chris Christie bridge scandal: a primer | CNN Politics

Edited by Matuka
But he's still better than Trump

On 7/31/2023 at 12:31 PM, Paul Wesley said:

And there in lies the problem with the entirety of the GQP, at least those that have expressed interest in running. The debates will be a complete waste of time, but at least I can get a good chuckle out of Trump emasculating the lot of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Christie is brave in the same way a white police officer witnessing his partner beating an innocent black motorist to death decides to speak up to try to stop a murder.  Yea he is doing the right thing, but it really isn’t more than what should be expected of anyone.  He still has to bring in his false equivalency of comparing Hunter and Kush as the same thing.  Appealing to the low IQ voter and not above tellling straight lies but yea, for a GOP politician he is definitely top 0.1% in morals

• Hook 'Em 2