"Fra-gi-le." That must be Italian.

RPM

On 12/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, Lobo said:

It took me a long time to realize it, but the movie is not about little Ralphie getting his rifle.  It's about the Dad finally having the Christmas he always envisioned for his family.  Darren McGavin (RIP) was more brilliant in this role than anyone gives him credit for.  While we laugh and wince at the little setbacks of Ralphie, in the end...it's what the "Old Man" has to endure that makes the story special.  He doesn't even get a name in the movie, that's how thankless his job was.  His character is literally "Old Man Parker."  When you watch the movie this Christmas, pay attention more to the father's character arc.  Watch the shit he has to put up with (including the one light in his life crushed before his eyes), and how he works to bring the holiday home for his family. 

The way I now relate to the dad rivals how I related to the kids when I was younger. I stay up every Christmas Eve wrapping presents and drinking whiskey while watching.  Brilliant movie.  It has never not worked for me at any stage of my life.

CSB:  Both my mom and her parents grew up in the same town (Hammond, Indiana) as Jean Shepherd.  Her parents went to high school with him and my aunt was good friends with one of his nephews growing up.  She always said this movie nails the feel of her neighborhood growing up.  Now that she has been gone a while, watching this really helps me feel close to her when I am missing her the most.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’ve tried to get my kids to watch this movie and they flat out refuse.

Turned it on at lunch and the flagpole scene was on. My 8 YO was completely disturbed that a kid would goad a peer into doing that. It bothered her so much she was almost in tears for me to change the channel.

At least I’m raising a kid with empathy if one that’s a bit sheltered.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mdmost said:

We watched this last night before the kids turned in for their long winter’s nap. At the end, my oldest said she wants us to watch it every year as one of our new traditions. Hell yeah.

I watched it a few nights before we went to to my parents for Christmas Eve/Day.  Sat down and watched it again Christmas morning with my 5 and 4 year old daughters.  They lasted about 45 minutes into it and laughed a few times but eventually wanted to go play with toys/cousins.  Going to try and get them to watch the whole film next year.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It dawned on me this year that Darren McGavin had to be 15+ years older than the mom.

Turns out he was 17 years older than her.

Mom showed her tits to Paul Newman in Slap Shot (and she told him about her lesbian experience).

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4f4c931a-7f76-48c6-832c-75a18fd40448

On 12/27/2020 at 8:00 AM, CooterBrown said:

I learned yesterday that there are at least two shitty sequels.

I had no idea about those 2 but I did know about this one . Written by Jean Shepperd.

It even has Ralph, Randy, Flick and Schwartz as characters.  And Jean narrates. 

dammit the movie name is "The Great American 4th of July and Other Disasters"

Edited by AUS-97HORN

I had no idea about those 2 but I did know about this one . Written by Jean Shepperd.
It even has Ralph, Randy, Flick and Schwartz as characters.  And Jean narrates. 

dammit the movie name is "The Great American 4th of July and Other Disasters"

There was also olly hopnoodles too

• 10 months later...
53 minutes ago, RPM said:

a-christmas-story-ralph.gif

One of the unknown and presumably worthless sequels posted above should have been an alternate universe starting with this scene where Ralphie instead beats Skut Farkus to death, discovers a thirst for blood, and becomes a serial-killing sniper who shoots all his victims' eyes out. 

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
One of the unknown and presumably worthless sequels posted above should have been an alternate universe starting with this scene where Ralphie instead beats Skut Farkus to death, discovers a thirst for blood, and becomes a serial-killing sniper who shoots all his victims' eyes out. 

I was today years old when I learned his name was Scut and not Scott
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Watched it again last night at the older child's request. When The Old Man gets misty-eyed when Ralphie is opening the rifle just makes the entire movie for me now. Before it was empathizing with Ralphie's plot. Now it's being The Old Man and just making sure your house doesn't fall apart, you provide your kids a nice Christmas, and the tug-of-war with your wife. 

• Like 2