The World is getting better and better

Parliament

Offered as a counterpoint to the other thread. I don't agree with everything in this article, but it offers good points nonetheless.

Too much to quote. The author discusses our falling levels of poverty and disease and the fact that general consumption is falling in developer countries.

This board is generally dour, and that's OK. But I hope we can all read this and say, "Maybe things aren't so bad."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/12/weve-just-had-the-best-decade-in-human-history-seriously/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Everything was going pretty good until the US decided to elect a completely immoral shitstain to be the president, athough I still think Manafort and his Russian friends played a large role in actually stealing the thing, so I’m not blaming us just yet.

Trump is doing his best to make the next decade the worst in human history. Let’s hope he fails at that, just like he’s failed at everything else in his worthless life. 

Oh, so it just started. Okay, crazy person.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Depends where you were. Was pretty rough in Germany and Russia. Pretty good here. And in France where they had to all screw to rebuild their population. 

The Left Bank in the 1920's is one of my destinations if I had a time machine.

• Like 4

On 12/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, Parliament said:

Offered as a counterpoint to the other thread. I don't agree with everything in this article, but it offers good points nonetheless.

Too much to quote. The author discusses our falling levels of poverty and disease and the fact that general consumption is falling in developer countries.

This board is generally dour, and that's OK. But I hope we can all read this and say, "Maybe things aren't so bad."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/12/weve-just-had-the-best-decade-in-human-history-seriously/

Yes the 2010s were the best decade ever globally. But the trend has started reversing with the rise of nationalism and I believe the 2020s most likely won’t be as good at the macro level.

Yes the 2010s were the best decade ever globally. But the trend has started reversing with the rise of nationalism and I believe the 2020s most likely won’t be as good at the macro level.

Yeah, it's crazy how people like the OP completely ignored this trend while Obama was in office. Just odd.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Parliament said:
On 12/29/2019 at 11:10 AM, tchookem said:
Yeah, it's crazy how people like the OP completely ignored this trend while Obama was in office. Just odd.

I wouldn't say "ignored," but I for sure missed it because of my biases. Was a mistake and I apologize.

Whoa. What the hell is this?  Pretty sure this type of admission is not allowed here.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Things were going great in the 1920s too.  

Kind of crazy how everything is lining up the same too.  There is no reason that a rise in ethnic nationalism has to come when a de/unregulated economic expansion bubble creates massive income inequality.  Yet here we are again.