ESPN reporter dies on his 34th birthday from pneumonia caught at Ohio St-Mich game

clapclapclap

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I saw this on r/cfb. Evidently also engaged with a wedding in the spring. Jesus, that's rough. Really feel for his family.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No pics?  

This is incredibly tragic.  34 is way too young and must be incredibly painful for this family.  

Didn't George Washington die from pneumonia?  

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

^^^
Makes very little sense for a healthy adult around his age to die from pneumonia.  Incredibly sad and out of the blue.  RIP

He must have had something else wrong with him, correct?

This doesn't make sense. 

I had a very close friend get pneumonia and then try to “tough it out.”   He was in excellent physical shape and in otherwise very healthy with no ongoing lung conditions. 

By the time he sought medical treatment it was far too late.  He went into the hospital for 30 days and died there.  He was in his mid 40s.  

Pneumonia is no joke.  Don’t wait too long. Go see a doctor. 

• Like 3

Dad had pneumonia a few months back and we thought it might kill him.  He’s a lot older than 34 but he’s otherwise very healthy and fit.  He’s retired so was able to take it pretty easy (stopped golfing and walking up to the clubhouse for beers, shit like like that) and it still kicked his ass for several months with a few weeks that were pretty touch and go.  Can’t imagine trying to work through it, especially with ESPNs grueling schedules.  Pneumonia don’t play.

41 minutes ago, deadshank said:

I had a very close friend get pneumonia and then try to “tough it out.”   He was in excellent physical shape and in otherwise very healthy with no ongoing lung conditions. 

By the time he sought medical treatment it was far too late.  He went into the hospital for 30 days and died there.  He was in his mid 40s.  

Truth in posting award

Had a friend die 3 years ago, same story as above, he thought he had the flu so he was going to wait it out. Then finally went to urgent care, they sent him to the hospital in an ambulance; two days later the hospital released him to the morgue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

I personally did something along these lines.  Waited for 3 days to go to the ER when I had a 103 fever that had peaked at 104.5.   They said, “you should have been here 3 days ago and you’re lucky you didn’t fry your brain”.   That shit put me down for the count for 12 days. 

10 hours ago, hundredTT said:

Damn, died on his birthday, which is Xmas Eve. Can’t get much sadder. Pneumonia is no joke. 

No it isn’t. One of our Vegas group meet friends, a sweet 35 year old blonde babe from LA came down with pneumonia and went to the hospital,  but checked herself out because she didn’t like it there. She died at home the next day, leaving behind a devastated husband and two little daughters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

My dad had it his senior year of high school.  He missed so much school that he almost didn't get to graduate.  It's not something to fuck around with.

I’ve had double pneumonia on two different occasions.   Brutal.  I got good medical care.  Grinding yourself down to a nub and being out in bad weather do not mix.  

55 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I & Mrs. Brat got our pneumonia shots a couple of years ago.

I have wicked long term asthma, so I get the 23 strain pneumonia shot.    I'm a little immune compromised due to chemo, so they highly recommend.   Doc said everyone should get the shot, but hardly anybody does.  

Advantage, anti-vaxers

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

That’s scary stuff there. I’ve always been the “tough it out” type. 

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

It wasn't from the Ohio State-Michigan game, he had already contracted it by mid-November...

So he'd already been battling it for 2 weeks by the time he made this tweet on November 26th.  Why are there so many references to him catching it at the Mich/tOSU game? He'd had pneumonia for damn near 3 weeks by the time that game rolled around.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I personally did something along these lines.  Waited for 3 days to go to the ER when I had a 103 fever that had peaked at 104.5.   They said, “you should have been here 3 days ago and you’re lucky you didn’t fry your brain”.   That shit put me down for the count for 12 days. 

Do we have any evidence that it didn’t fry your brain?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I have wicked long term asthma, so I get the 23 strain pneumonia shot.    I'm a little immune compromised due to chemo, so they highly recommend.   Doc said everyone should get the shot, but hardly anybody does.  

Advantage, anti-vaxers

I asked about getting the shot, they told me wait a few decades.  This was a year after I had pneumonia.  Is there something I can tell them?

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I thought pneumonia only killed the elderly or obese. This was certainly an awareness moment for me because I did not think it could take the life of a healthy 30 something. 

When I had it a few years ago, I knew something was really wrong (high fever, felt horrible, etc). and I went to the doctor the next day.  I think if I had been in my 20s or 30s, before kids, there's a chance I might have tried to tough it out, but with kids, I was freaking the fuck out, because I knew people died from it a lot more often than people think (father-in-law was a doctor and looked up the stats).   I know it was partly the fever talking, but I was just thinking "I better not fuck this up, my kids would be devastated".

My three year old just got diagnosed with pneumonia on the 14th. She had a virus early in the week and her fever that just kept getting a little higher and higher. Saturday morning I took her to a walk-in clinic and they told me that she had an ear infection. Two hours later she had a temperature of 104+ and was lethargic and just wanted to sleep. Scared the ever living shit out of me. I took her to a free standing ER and the nurse asked if they did a chest x-ray that morning. They had not so we got one pretty quickly. They diagnosed her with pneumonia in one lung that came about from fifths disease that she had earlier in the week.

We keep a close eye on her because of a prior issue like this. I can’t image the parents that let this stuff go and don’t do anything. When we saw the doctor that afternoon at the ER, he told me that he had seen 4 cases of pneumonia already that day before us and it was only 4PM. I write all this to say pulse ox monitors are cheap and they can give you a bit of understanding of what is going on.

10 minutes ago, EE2B said:

My three year old just got diagnosed with pneumonia on the 14th. She had a virus early in the week and her fever that just kept getting a little higher and higher. Saturday morning I took her to a walk-in clinic and they told me that she had an ear infection. Two hours later she had a temperature of 104+ and was lethargic and just wanted to sleep. Scared the ever living shit out of me. I took her to a free standing ER and the nurse asked if they did a chest x-ray that morning. They had not so we got one pretty quickly. They diagnosed her with pneumonia in one lung that came about from fifths disease that she had earlier in the week.

We keep a close eye on her because of a prior issue like this. I can’t image the parents that let this stuff go and don’t do anything. When we saw the doctor that afternoon at the ER, he told me that he had seen 4 cases of pneumonia already that day before us and it was only 4PM. I write all this to say pulse ox monitors are cheap and they can give you a bit of understanding of what is going on.

I would dispute the walk-in clinic fee. That is the least they could do considering that they could have easily been sued and sent to the medical board.

Sadly this is the second walk in we’ve had issues with. In March, we took her in for an ear infection. They didn’t dose the medicine right so the infection went to the other ear. We took her back in on a Saturday and they did a chest XRay and just said her lungs were “reactive” and she had a double ear infection. We took her to her regular pedi on Monday and she took one listen and said she had pneumonia. I had the xrays from the walk in and she admitted that she could see it in those xrays as well. That time we ended up with double pneumonia and a hospital stay.

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I have wicked long term asthma, so I get the 23 strain pneumonia shot. 

Same here.  I've spent several 7-10 day rounds in the hospital due to asthma->bronchitis->pneumonia, but honestly, in retrospect I imagine those were all viral.  One time I got bacterial pneumonia and it fucked me up for several months.  Only spent maybe 10 days in the hospital but it absolutely kicked my ass.  I had no energy for a long time after that.

Now I get the vaccine.