New Mexico Spring Break

hornbri

Thinking of taking the kids (7 and 4) to Mexico for spring break. They want to see snow and if the resorts are still open we might do a beginner ski lesson for them. 

so I ask the surly....Where should we take them? Planning on driving from Austin so we can hit a few spots. 

Angel Fire is another option (I'm actually sitting on the sundeck having a margarita there right now). Problem with New Mexico spring break is snow can be very spotty as it really starts to warm up in the afternoons (low 60s aren't uncommon in late March). Plus it is very crowded. Make sure you get reservations for ski school if you're going. Fills up quick. 

Taos. Their ski school is the best I’ve seen and Taos is awesome in general. 
True but at Spring Break they are so overwhelmed with crowds that your kid is likely to barely even get skis on much less get real training time. My son got little training at all. Plus getting from the upper mountain to the ski school sucks ass.

I love the terrain at Taos but it sucks for family trips.

My son got great lessons at Ski Santa Fe and the crowds were much smaller. I was easily able to check in with him and quickly get back on the upper mountain until his lessons were over. Then we still had time to ski together on the a beginner slopes at the end of the day and see his progress.
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 4:36 PM, ftf82 said:

Angel Fire is another option (I'm actually sitting on the sundeck having a margarita there right now). Problem with New Mexico spring break is snow can be very spotty as it really starts to warm up in the afternoons (low 60s aren't uncommon in late March). Plus it is very crowded. Make sure you get reservations for ski school if you're going. Fills up quick. 

On 12/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Drive at little farther north and go to Pagosa Springs, CO.  Plenty of snow at Wolf Creek and kids will be skiing down the mountain in half a day.  Easy day trip to Durango and Mesa Verde.

This and this.  Angelfire is where I'd look first.  It's easy to drive to and cheap.  Lodging, lift tickets, and lessons are all cheap compared to Colorado resorts.  It's a great starter mountain.  Right now they have 35-37" base which should hold up for good enough conditions at Spring Break, but some years it doesn't.  I've been there 4 times at SB and only once was it absolutely crap conditions, the other times it wasn't always what I prefer but still plenty good enough for the kids.  

Make sure you check out the deals (often free lift tickets) for 4th and 5th graders if you have one.  Those ages are the ones that have been identified as the age at which kids will likely keep skiiing once they start.  So those ages often get great deals or are free altogether.  

If you're worried about snow conditions, Wolf Creek is the next closest spot with always great conditions.  Stay in Pagosa Springs.  There's everything from full cabins to cheap hotel rooms in town.  Sit in the hot springs downtown.  Side trip to Durango, the coolest town in Colorado, IMHO.

On 1/3/2020 at 4:49 PM, Born to Run said:

True but at Spring Break they are so overwhelmed with crowds that your kid is likely to barely even get skis on much less get real training time. My son got little training at all. Plus getting from the upper mountain to the ski school sucks ass.

I love the terrain at Taos but it sucks for family trips.

My son got great lessons at Ski Santa Fe and the crowds were much smaller. I was easily able to check in with him and quickly get back on the upper mountain until his lessons were over. Then we still had time to ski together on the a beginner slopes at the end of the day and see his progress.

Santa Fe Ski is great. Their ski school is really good. The ski school, lift tiks, rentals, and food is about 30-40% cheaper than comparable mountains. It’s really only super crowded this time of year when the locals and Texans are skiing at the same time. Spring Break is crowded just like everywhere. NM skiing in March is certainly warmer than Colorado but I’ve never had a problem. Food in Santa Fe is unbeatable. 

Edited by Texaspython
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:37 PM, Texaspython said:

Santa Fe Ski is great. Their ski school is really good. The ski school, lift tiks, rentals, and food is about 30-40% cheaper than comparable mountains. It’s really only super crowded this time of year when the locals and Texans are skiing at the same time. Spring Break is crowded just like everywhere. NM skiing in March is certainly warmer than Colorado but I’ve never had a problem. Food in Santa Fe is unbeatable. 

We did Santa Fe for spring break a couple of years ago.  The ski area had a decent crowd, but was VERY manageable -- we needed ski school time, and that worked out fine, and the slopes weren't too crowded to enjoy. And, you know, Santa Fe was there for us on the other days.  We went hiking in Bandelier, nearby.  It was a great trip that included skiing, but skiing wasn't the only thing.

I would think Santa Fe would be much more crowded than Taos on Spring Break. 
Nope

I've taken my son every Spring break for 8 years running. Summit Co is the worst crowds, but Taos was bad also if you're going between ski school and upper mountain.

For Spring Break we stick to Santa Fe unless it's a really dry year, in which case we will do Monarch or Wolf Creek. Never experienced lines at Santa Fe going back to the 90s except on the first lift and even that is a minimal. After that no lines all day.

On 1/5/2020 at 3:44 PM, NoRagrets said:

Taos restaurant recs?

i haven’t been there since 1989.

The Gorge

Doc Martin’s at the Taos Inn

Martyrs Steakhouse 

Mondo Italiano 

Taos Mesa Brewing (2 locations)

Guadalajara Grill is ok

https://www.timeout.com/taos/restaurants/best-restaurants-in-taos

Rolling Still bar - don’t miss this place  

1 hour ago, jw4381 said:

The Gorge

Doc Martin’s at the Taos Inn

Martyrs Steakhouse 

Mondo Italiano 

Taos Mesa Brewing (2 locations)

Guadalajara Grill is ok

https://www.timeout.com/taos/restaurants/best-restaurants-in-taos

Rolling Still bar - don’t miss this place  

And where do I go to get some of that green chili goodness a la the shed in Santa Fe?

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

And where do I go to get some of that green chili goodness a la the shed in Santa Fe?

If Orlando's in Taos doesn't do it for you, Rancho de Chimayo is about a 45 minute drive depending on the weather and it's probably the only restaurant in NM outside of Abq that you hear talked about for chile as much as The Shed.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, any more advice on Angel Fire? Looking at for the reasons mentioned above, seems like an ideal location for 1st time with 6 yr olds. Any ever stayed @ the Angel Fire Resort? Or any other places you recommend staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/19/2020 at 4:37 PM, Horns99 said:

Ok, any more advice on Angel Fire? Looking at for the reasons mentioned above, seems like an ideal location for 1st time with 6 yr olds. Any ever stayed @ the Angel Fire Resort? Or any other places you recommend staying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend house rentals.  Most are cheap and very comfortable. Angel Fire is small and easy to get around.  A negative is dining compared to Taos and Santa Fe.

• 1 month later...

Taos update:

Airbnb is bad ass. 10 minute walk to downtown plaza area. Ate at Stella’s downtown. Pretty good, not great, but excellent service.

Tomorrow is Doc Martin’s.

What else is a must? Orlando’s? Is the Gorge mostly bar food bc that’s a no-go for my Whole Foods wife.

Also, and I can’t believe I’m saying this because you guys are all degenerates, but I’ll be skiing alone while my novice family is in ski school, so PM me if you’re interested in hitting some runs or a beer on the slopes tomorrow.

• 3 months later...

Just drove Houston to Canyon, TX.  Then drove north from there to cross into NM at Texline, TX.  Hwy 412 from Clayton to Springer, NM is a stretch that is just beautiful and a super relaxing drive.  No one for miles.  Man that is beautiful stretch of rolling hills of open farm land.  It reminded of why i hate taking highways like 25 and 40.  I opt for different routes and this one did not disappoint. 

From there we then headed to Taos going through Ute Canyon and Cimarron Canyon state park on Hwy 64.  It has been my favorite stretch of road/scenery on this trip thus far.  Bring a fishing pole! You drive in a canyon and along the river for miles as it crosses from one side of you to the other.  We lingered much longer than i expected.  You come out the back side of Eagle's Nest. 

From Eagle's Nest we continued on 64 to Taos.  Another vote for the Taos Inn, courtyard room.  Also breakfast at Michael's cafe for a casual meal was very good.   

After our time there we continued on 64 to the Rio Grande Gorge then Tres Pierdas.  Once past the Gorge that drive reminds me of southeastern New Mexico.  Not very scenic and our least favorite drive of the trip thus far.  Also the Hwy 285 stretch down to  Ojo Caliente was bettter than the previous stretch but by no means a must see.  

From Ojo past Espanola we took Hwy 30 to 502 to 4 to Bandelier.  As others have mentioned that is must see/experience.  The park is open but currently limited on trails and hours.  We enjoyed our time there and enjoyed no fee to get in due to limited access.  Great and beautiful scenery.  After our day there we continued the loop on 4 thru Los Alamos and headed to Santa Fe.  

While in Santa Fe i'd stay at Las Palomas again.  Really good location and accommodations.  As others have said Geronimo is safe bet and it certainly didn't disappoint.  Having tasted the Elk, the Sea Bass and the Center Cut Filet.  It's hard to say which i'd pick again, hard to pass up a well cooked filet.  I've had Elk elsewhere and I can't say its the best i've ever had but it sure is worth all its accolades. The marinade was superior.  

I drove 25 from Santa Fe thru Albuquerque and then peeled off onto 380.  The drive paid off at Carrizozo with the Valley of Fire lava flow.  Then the drive all the way until Hondo was just spectacular.  It's the Billy the Kid trail and is a drive thru several canyons with mountains on both sides of you including two great small towns Capitan and then the town of Lincoln.  Its the town and story that inspired the movie Young Guns.  Regulators!   

There isn't a route in SE New Mexico that i've liked in all the years i've driven around.  If someone has a route let me know.  Roswell to the Tx state line is just an extension of Odessa, Tx.  

Edited by RollLeft
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this to transform into "New Mexico Mid/Late-Summer"

The Mrs. and I are planning to scratch the travel itch by car tripping to Taos the last week of July.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Areas/neighborhoods for VRBO (prefer cabin/house over condo), any insight as to the current restaurant situation, activities (hiking, duh) - fly fishing? 

Any by "Taos" I'm open to anything else in the general area as home-base.

Might check the quarantine status of NM, seems like they might have just put one in place. We came through Raton on our way back from Colorado and they had quarantine signs on the side of the road. I didn’t pay to much attention since I wasn’t stopping in NM.

13 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Might check the quarantine status of NM, seems like they might have just put one in place. We came through Raton on our way back from Colorado and they had quarantine signs on the side of the road. I didn’t pay to much attention since I wasn’t stopping in NM.

The "Cooler Weather Driving Distance" (or whatever) thread had a link to the current order, and at least as written, only applies to people who enter NM through an airport.  But yeah, will keep an eye on that and will be working on my "hell yeah, I've been here 14 days - camping" story.

Edit:  I see the quarantine order now applies to all travelers, by vehicle as well.  But I also see a "traveling to conduct business" exemption.  So I'll be doing that.  Traveling to conduct business.  Yep.  

Edited by MirrOlure

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

The "Cooler Weather Driving Distance" (or whatever) thread had a link to the current order, and at least as written, only applies to people who enter NM through an airport.  But yeah, will keep an eye on that and will be working on my "hell yeah, I've been here 14 days - camping" story.

Edit:  I see the quarantine order now applies to all travelers, by vehicle as well.  But I also see a "traveling to conduct business" exemption.  So I'll be doing that.  Traveling to conduct business.  Yep.  

I would make a list of the things you want to do in NM and then make sure they are doable in this time of the zombie apocalypse.  We were in Santa Fe over Spring Break as things were beginning to hit the fan.  Ski slopes closed a couple days after we got there so we only had one day of skiing.  Tent Rocks was not available because the Indian reservation closed the entrance road - they weren't hosting visitors carrying diseases this time.  Bandelier was open, but has since closed - might be reopening.  Most other hiking avenues were open.

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 11:24 AM, MirrOlure said:

Did you wind up going?