International Travel Help

lonestar3

Got a little bit of a unique situation here that I need to figure out sooner than later.

Date for my sister’s Cabo wedding in March is in the middle of an annulment. She’s out of touch with the specifics of when this is getting settled and would apparently be $1300 to check on the status of the situation. She’s being told it’s supposed to be settled in the next couple of weeks.

She does not have a passport and it’s kind of getting to nut cutting time with the booking. Is she good to apply for a PP if there’s a solid chance she’ll be going back to her maiden name when this is wiped out?

Passports take awhile so if it is important to her to get married in Cabo in March then she should work on her passport now. Pay the money. Get the passport. Get married. And then, get a new passport after the wedding. Why make things difficult?

14 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Not knowing any other details, you can get a passport in a day for something like $500, which is cheaper than $1300. 

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Passports take awhile so if it is important to her to get married in Cabo in March then she should work on her passport now. Pay the money. Get the passport. Get married. And then, get a new passport after the wedding. Why make things difficult?

Both of these are correct. The 2nd option is cheaper and likely far simpler unless she lives in Houston or another city with a U.S. passport office.

27 minutes ago, Smax said:

had to get passports for the kids this past october, took 2 weeks from the day we turned everything in at the post office

A lot of it depends on the time. I've done it when it has taken a couple of months and have also done it with quick turnarounds. Of course, if you want to drive to Houston and make a day of it, you can get it same day or spend extra money with a service that will turn it around quickly.

You can go to the Houston actual passport office and get one in whatever short amount of time is justified based on an in hand itinerary. Not that difficult. But set aside a whole day because you will need to wait for awhile in the office and come back to pick it up. When I did this, there were people getting passports for travel that night. It was less than $500. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

You can go to the Houston actual passport office and get one in whatever short amount of time is justified based on an in hand itinerary. Not that difficult. But set aside a whole day because you will need to wait for awhile in the office and come back to pick it up. When I did this, there were people getting passports for travel that night. It was less than $500. 

This place is about 8-10 min from me @lonestar3 just sayin 

• Like 1