Best drumming on a song, ever

Gil Bang

13 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Best drummer I have seen live is Alex Gonzalez. 

Ringo. Lol. Even super Beatles fans think he is their weak link. 

Didn't Lennon say that Ringo wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles? But then, John was a dick.

Beato has actually called out some of the understated brilliance of Ringo's drumming, basically that Ringo always played within the song and enhanced it, never sacrificed the whole to try and be showy. Essentially the perfect session player.

It's true that Ringo didn't have the jawdropping chops of a Peart or Colaiuta or name your guy.

He also played some of the most glorious and song-appropriate parts in rock history, and few (none?) have ever been able to truly emulate what he did.  He was one of a kind and The Beatles were lucky to have him.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's true that Ringo didn't have the jawdropping chops of a Peart or Colaiuta or name your guy.

He also played some of the most glorious and song-appropriate parts in rock history, and few (none?) have ever been able to truly emulate what he did.  He was one of a kind and The Beatles were lucky to have him.

At a net worth of $350M, I'd say Ringo might be the lucky party in that relationship 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 10:45 AM, hullabelew said:

Question for the drummers.  Is Mickey Shine actually counting off the snare in the verses or just hitting it whenever he feels like it.  I've tried for years to count it off and can never get close.  

A hidden treasure of a song. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davidg said:

This popped up on my YouTube and I was gonna put it on what are you listening but I think I’m gonna put it here. The brushwork is outstanding

This guy's son was a groomsman at my wedding. He always told me his dad was a great jazz drummer but I'd never seen footage of him before.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/27/2019 at 11:50 AM, Cajun said:

I don't know about "best", but just watching Moon do his thing here always amazed me.  One part drumming, one part epileptic seizure, one part tossing a very large salad.

Somehow it just works...

That video is awesome. Everyone is jamming like caffeinated ferrets. Meanwhile, Entwistle is just hanging out in the corner in a skeleton suit laying down fat bass grooves. 

I know this is the drumming thread, but Entwistle is the standard by which all other bassists are measured in my book.

And, yes, he always looked like he was thinking, "If one of you blokes so much as touches me or my bass it's GO TIME!!!"

Thunda fingahs.  The OX!

• Like 2