Fasting For Fatties is Favorable

Neonmoon

13 hours ago, Deej said:

I have been unintentionally doing this for about three years and went from 6'2", 220 to 170. Or it could be I'm dying of something.

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Damn dude.

Americans don’t like to hear it but 6’2” and 170 is a healthy weight. The new norm is being 20-30 lbs overweight so people think that others at the previous normal are skinny or sick. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I wouldn't get too crazy saying that we are evolved to eat only once a day or anything like that, at least for most folks. The agricultural revolution happened about 12,000 years ago. That's plenty of time for evolution to make a mark. Now, this breakfast is the most important meal of the day and we should eat three square meals a day while maintaining a relatively sedentary lifestyle business is a different story.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Americans don’t like to hear it but 6’2” and 170 is a healthy weight. The new norm is being 20-30 lbs overweight so people think that others at the previous normal are skinny or sick. 

Well at 6-1 165 in high school I was strong, but got abused for being skinny.  I felt skinny.  I don't think I would want to be that thin again.

Edited by TwiceHorn

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nothing is absolute.  There are always approximations.  BMI, and stats on paper do many a disservice.  6'2 and 220 for an athlete?  Cue the "can he play LB"?  Most people are too sedentary.  Eat far too many refined foods, and can't really move well and the exercises they do are for aesthetics, not function (no, I'm not a crossfitter, but they do have a point here).   

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well at 6-1 165 in high school I was strong, but got abused for being skinny.  I felt skinny.  I don't think I would want to be that thin again.

All things being equal, 6-1 165 is most likely healthier for someone than 6-1 200.  Now if you’re telling me the 200lb guy is eating healthy and hitting the gym daily while the 165 guy lives on potato chips and never leaves the couch, i can see the point.

regardless I was talking about being healthier not how you look.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

All things being equal, 6-1 165 is most likely healthier for someone than 6-1 200.  Now if you’re telling me the 200lb guy is eating healthy and hitting the gym daily while the 165 guy lives on potato chips and never leaves the couch, i can see the point.

regardless I was talking about being healthier not how you look.

Yeah, I know, just interjecting the reality or my reality.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I naturally started doing this 20 years ago. Naturally meaning, I was a smoker and had a cigarette for breakfast. Got into the habit of eating lunch at 11 and dinner at 5. After I quit smoking, it was just normal to me. I never get hungry in the mornings. 

Besides being younger and more active until my mid-30s, I skipped breakfast and ate lunch around noon and supper around 6. I rarely snacked after that. I was thinner then.

I’ve been thinking about returning to the intermittent fasting diet I didn’t even know I was on, but for two factors.

First, I like whole milk in my coffee (I didn’t drink coffee when I was younger), and I suspect that this may screw it up.

Second, my wife and I both took early retirement, and she has always been a breakfast eater. She likes having breakfast and supper together. Not so much as far as lunch goes.

14 hours ago, Underdog said:

There's a couple of Keto/LC FB groups I lurk on and some of those people go hardcore on the fasting 20+ hours, no goddamn way in hell I could ever pull something like that off.  I've tried to skip breakfast and only have coffee or bulletproof coffee and end up eating more than I should at lunch because then I'm famished.   My main problem is eating out of boredom between meals and of course this time of year is just a bitch for me. 

Doing IF has given me the won't power to skip on almost all of my snacking & when I do making much healthier choices

14 hours ago, blacklab said:

If you're doing keto the fasting kinda becomes natural and not too hard to do, as your body is using your fat for energy, not food. 

If you're not on keto it's hard.

Yup - the change in diet has really affected my sweet tooth, in a very beneficial way

13 hours ago, Clintonaldo said:

Intermittent fasting works for me. I only eat from 11am to 6pm regardless of morning workout I do. So far down 25 pounds and have held steady for 2 years now. 

And IF can be done different ways for different people - I know some who are following 16:8, others 18:6 or 20;4, and some are OMAD. The truely crazies (IMO) are people who do 24, 36, 48, or longer fasts.

13 hours ago, 'stache said:

Or, you know, just eat better foods in normal portions. All this shit we come up with to not get fat is because the norm has become overeating processed non nutritious crap.

100% agree that portions is key - no matter what you call it, almost all diets that work do so because of caloric limitations. I'm all for exercise and working out, but that alone will rarely help people lose weight, as a matter of fact I know a couple of folks who struggled more with eating when the started working out because they were hungrier (that may have been them rationalizing their eating)

9 hours ago, pops said:

Well, the norm for a few hundred thousand years was one meal a day if you were lucky. This 3 squares and all the processed shit we can find is about 50 years old at best. We aren't built to eat all day. Or even every day. Our lizard brain kicks in and we eat because our dna says holy shit, food!  Eat!  

Quoted some of the relevant comments to my story - 
I have had a bad relationship with eating since I was a kid; it took me years to realize it, but being brought up in a home (thanks Mom) that you had to clean your plate was not a healthy habit for me. Add in a sweet tooth, stress eating/snacking and a being less active as I've aged has led to me being overweight. 

I started doing IF about mid October and I've gone from being obese to now being down to fat, working on getting to chubby and who knows maybe even healthy by summer. I'm not following any strict diet or routine, but I typically don't eat anything until about 11:30 I'll have a light snack to take the edge off before lunch. About 3-4 days a week I'll make lunch my main (or only meal), and then have a very light dinner - I am trying to go high protein/low carb, but I've allowed some cheating on that through the holidays, and will blow my "diet" over the next week while football drinking.

If you are looking for resources, or support there are some online diets you can look up, Twitter has some IF and Keto related accounts, and even Reddit has some communities that provide information. 
Good luck to all

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

^^^This ^^^
6'1 165 when I graduated. When I got out of the Navy, I was 6'1 225 and felt awesome. Now I'm a 250 tub of goo.
The biggest problem I have is dinner. I don't get home from work until 6:30 and by the time I cook and eat it's 8 and I'm starving so I eat a lot.
I'd love to eat and be done by 6. Not sure how to make that happen though 

22 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well, my skepticism aside...it does appear to be settled science that you jumpstart your metabolism throughout the day by eating something within an hour or two of waking up.  It also helps kick-start bowel movements.  Now, as Americans-we have decided to eat a rather bizarre set of things for that morning meal which aren't terribly good for you no matter your lifestyle or time of day, but that's just us (anybody remember that article about two years ago claiming that three meals a day was a colonial suppression tool?).  

Anyway, the very science behind eating something in the morning after going a long period of time (~12-15 hours) is embedded in the fucking name of the meal.  But because 'Murica, fuck that.  We say it like annoying white guys in Patagonia say the nickname for "breckenridge" and then we say something like "Fest".  But it's literally to BREAK the FAST you did the evening/night before.  So it's actually an important ritual to your body.  To shut down the digestive track in the early evening and not go until mid-morning the next day, you have done a "mini"-FAST.  And then you break that fast by waking up, preparing for the day, and having a mid-sized meal of variety.  I'm as guilty of not eating breakfast regularly, and when I do-to make it something packed with energy and fiber.  But I'm getting okay at that.  And if you're gonna eat a shitty meal, eat it at lunch in this country.  What I really need to stop doing is having dinner at 8:00p.  

Or if you have dinner at 8 pm don't eat your first meal until 11 to 12. It seems it would be more important to not eat 3-4 hours before going to sleep so if you go to sleep at 11 - midnight then 8 pm dinner is probably ok. Just let the body rest 15 or so hours between dinner digestion and Next day digestion. 

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Nothing is absolute.  There are always approximations.  BMI, and stats on paper do many a disservice.  6'2 and 220 for an athlete?  Cue the "can he play LB"?  Most people are too sedentary.  Eat far too many refined foods, and can't really move well and the exercises they do are for aesthetics, not function (no, I'm not a crossfitter, but they do have a point here).   

The problem crossfitters have is they push their body too hard without proper rest periods. You'll get results in physical sculpting in the short term like that but you'll wear your body out quicker and as you age you'll develop massive problems with joints and soft tissue injuries. 

I've been following the Pavel Tsatsouline kettlebell routine of swings, get ups, cleans, and presses for functional strength now that I've gotten older and have issues from overtraining/accumulated injuries from my professional futbol days in my youth. He stresses proper rest between sets as the body works best when rested and it's seeming like the optimal way to stay functionally strong for people pushing past 40 or beyond.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bevo said:

I spoke with a lady who said she almost died on the Keto diet. She started the diet immediately and if I remember correctly went into a coma.

That happens if someone doesn't properly cut out the carbs to the necessary levels but goes whole hog into the fat consumption. It's a very tricky thing because consuming all that fat can only be beneficial in the short term IF your body is in ketosis. If it's not and you're still getting the carb loads then all that fat just kills you. It's a way of eating that requires massive amounts of discipline and should be monitored by a doctor. 

8 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The problem crossfitters have is they push their body too hard without proper rest periods. You'll get results in physical sculpting in the short term like that but you'll wear your body out quicker and as you age you'll develop massive problems with joints and soft tissue injuries. 

I've been following the Pavel Tsatsouline kettlebell routine of swings, get ups, cleans, and presses for functional strength now that I've gotten older and have issues from overtraining/accumulated injuries from my professional futbol days in my youth. He stresses proper rest between sets as the body works best when rested and it's seeming like the optimal way to stay functionally strong for people pushing past 40 or beyond.  

Kettlebells are wizard, voodoo magic.  I've since dumped my gym membership and gone to 100% kettlebells, TRX straps, yoga, and a bunch of body-weight exercises.  Feel better than I have since college (46yrs old).  I listened to Pavel on the JRE the other day.  He knows his stuff.  I was filling corn feeders a few weeks back.  50lb sacks.  Up/down the ladder.  300lbs per feeder x 5 feeders.  Used to whip me.  Now, I feel great.  Really notice a difference.  

Since going "meathead-free" my aches are also gone.  Tendonitis/tennis elbow is gone.  Even lower back pain has subsided.  

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

^^^This ^^^
6'1 165 when I graduated. When I got out of the Navy, I was 6'1 225 and felt awesome. Now I'm a 250 tub of goo.
The biggest problem I have is dinner. I don't get home from work until 6:30 and by the time I cook and eat it's 8 and I'm starving so I eat a lot.

I hear ya.  Eating late is not good for your stomach. I have chronic GERD and my GI warned me about eating after 7. Stopping late eating, even to a point of skipping dinner if I missed my time deadline, greatly reduced my stomach problems.

It doesn't taste as good but you can prep dinner the night/weekend before, and then reheat it.  Then you can eat at 6:30 as opposed to 8. Have the freshly cooked dinners on the weekend only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Kettlebells are wizard, voodoo magic.  I've since dumped my gym membership and gone to 100% kettlebells, TRX straps, yoga, and a bunch of body-weight exercises.  Feel better than I have since college (46yrs old).  I listened to Pavel on the JRE the other day.  He knows his stuff.  I was filling corn feeders a few weeks back.  50lb sacks.  Up/down the ladder.  300lbs per feeder x 5 feeders.  Used to whip me.  Now, I feel great.  Really notice a difference.  

Since going "meathead-free" my aches are also gone.  Tendonitis/tennis elbow is gone.  Even lower back pain has subsided.  

The first time I heard of it was a little over a year ago from a former youth academy strength and conditioning coach I've kept up with all these years. When he told me I thought he'd lost his damn mind or was joking. The only kettlebells I'd ever seen are the pink 10 lbs ones on the shelves at Academy women toy around with at jazzercise or whatever. 

The only reason I gave it a try was because of the respect I have for this guy's knowledge so I went and got a 45 lbs bell. I'll be damned if after that first workout of 10x10 swings mixed with 10 get ups I woke up the next morning noticing core muscles that weren't getting hit by the normal lifting I had been doing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

The first time I heard of it was a little over a year ago from a former youth academy strength and conditioning coach I've kept up with all these years. When he told me I thought he'd lost his damn mind or was joking. The only kettlebells I'd ever seen are the pink 10 lbs ones on the shelves at Academy women toy around with at jazzercise or whatever. 

The only reason I gave it a try was because of the respect I have for this guy's knowledge so I went and got a 45 lbs bell. I'll be damned if after that first workout of 10x10 swings mixed with 10 get ups I woke up the next morning noticing core muscles that weren't getting hit by the normal lifting I had been doing. 

I was injured.  Had to modify things.  I also realized that at my age, the idiocy of isolation exercises had to stop.  The day I put the chest/tri's & back/bi's to bed, was when I finally turned the corner. 

From diet to exercise - everyone is different.  From a body type perspective (ectomorph, mesomorph, etc) to the bio-diversity of how your body processes certain food types.  You have to stay active and keep trying new things.  Hell of a lot easier to stay in shape then get back into it.  That much is true.  

This stuff works.

I typically eat one meal  a day during the week (late dinner). During the week, the only workouts I have are two days of of 1.5 hours of indoor bouldering followed by one hour of yoga.  On the weekend I might do some nominal body weight stuff restricted to some air squats, push ups pull up and planks or go climbing outdoors, but only if I feel like it.

Just like everybody else I am prone to over drinking or eating too late or having an occasional injury which interrupts things.

I can (age 53 next week) maintain a weight of 185lbs at 5'11" pretty easily and  can get to the mid 170's with some alcohol cessation and a little more attention to the diet, but it is not easy.  As I have gotten more into rock climbing (my youngest kids are nationally competitive climbers) I find myself really wanting to get lighter as the sport places high demands on the feet with tiny footholds that penalize you greatly over those that weigh less since you get the same number of square inches to establish a foothold without necessarily giving you any reward for any additional upper body strength or reach.

Fasting is no magic bullet, though, especially once you get down to a weight where you have ~15% or less body fat.

From my own research, the main benefits are from giving your body a break from producing insulin.  When I work out or climb I usually do it in a fasted sate and it does not bother me at all.

Alas, the holidays have not been kind, so this thread hits close to home as they say.

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

When I work out or climb I usually do it in a fasted sate and it does not bother me at all.

This is the truth. I mostly run in the morning before work and don’t eat anything before or after I run, and it is thoroughly more enjoyable to when I used to run after work. I don’t know if it’s what I eat at lunch or the stress from work, but I always have more energy in the mornings. If I do a long run on the weekend, I will have a peanut butter waffle before the run, and some gels during. 

Edited by Neonmoon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

^^^This ^^^

Wife and I work 12 hour compressed shifts and get home between 6:45-7:00pm so those nights we won't do any big meals or any cooking other than reheating leftovers or easy stuff like sandwiches or frozen dinners(hello, sodium).  I need to renew my Y membership even though we have an elliptical and Recumbent bike at home, feel I do better if I get out to exercise and with the weather here in Upstate NY, it gets hard to even go out for a walk in the neighborhood. 

I used a bout of stomach flu to kick off ADF around Labor Day. A lot of the guides will say to eat 500 calories on the fasting day but I found that just made me super hungry, so I went to no calories on the off day. I dropped 15 lbs pretty quick but those are the easy pounds. Holidays hit and I used that plus work stress as an excuse to fall off the wagon. Looking forward to getting back on in January.

It’s not easy but it works. And I will say that I like the feeling of being hungry more than than the feeling of being stuffed.

Monday through Friday I eat only dinner and have zero calories in between. Then I eat lunch/dinner on weekends but I never eat breakfast. I lift weights at lunch time two days a week and do an hour of cardio two days as well. I’m fasted when I do those workouts and I typically feel great during and after. I don’t have any post workout either, I just chug some water and wait till dinner to break my fast. I’ve been doing this since May or so and I have been really happy on it.

Back in September I started doing a 48 to 60 hour water only fast once a month. This is when the Autophagy really kicks in. Full disclosure, I’m not fat and have never been fat, but I was able to shed 15 excess lbs with this program. But this program works for me, YMMV.

I’ll paraphrase what Dr. Peter Attia says about eating. All dietary restriction programs can be broken down 3 ways:
1) limit what you eat
2) limit how much you eat
3) limit when you eat
He says to do one of these all the time, do two of these most of the time and do all three of them some of the time.

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Eating less calories is favorable for fatties!

Stop eating so much food fat asses and try getting in a shit ton more physical activity. This isn't rocket science, eat less move more.

In America? Yeah right, commie.

• 5 weeks later...

here is a post from the most reliable source on the whole entire internet - reddit

And I'm going to update my story; and use this as one method of keeping myself accountable

I started IF in mid-October, a year ago I started the healthier diet thing and more exercise. Those both worked taking me from a stressed out obese maximum that was somewhere above 280 (I don't know exactly because fatty doesn't do the stepping on the scale thing). In that year I had some decent success and got to just under 260, which was good but it had seemed to max out. Then I found people talking about IF, so I decided to give it a try. I started doing 16:8 5/6 days a week, and over the first month it became closer to 20:4 or OMAD for most days; but it was (as is) still a flexible thing. I will eat on regular schedules for special events (my parents birthday, vacation, etc ... oh year and I'll snack for the SuperBowl). 

I'm not saying IF is for everyone, but it is worth seeing if it works for you if you really want to lose weight. I'll check back in every now and then to see if there is continued progress and to keep and slippage to a minimum.
I do want to give one shout out to a woman I used to work with - when I left that company in 2013 she was the head of HR and had put on a lot of weight with having 2 kids, and through a stressful divorce and other issues. I was her in late 2017 and she had lost a ton of weight and when I asked her the secret she said - it isn't about diet or exercise, though you will need them, but it is about accepting that you will have to be hungry. That being hungry isn't a call to eat, it is a notice that you are living healthier.

Anyway I now have an almost daily relationship with the scale, and today was the first time in over 25 years that I came in just under 225. 

• Like 6

I've been doing this for years now.  I used to hover in the 190s, and was not in very good shape.  I didn't work out, and was not very strong.

I now am always right around 180, and this is with me working out now, so I've added some muscle mass.

I'm hardly a gym rat, but I am definitely much healthier and look better at 40 than I did at 30. 

Intermittent fasting is legit.  I recommend it for everyone. 

On 12/26/2019 at 9:38 AM, Neonmoon said:

I naturally started doing this 20 years ago. Naturally meaning, I was a smoker and had a cigarette for breakfast. Got into the habit of eating lunch at 11 and dinner at 5. After I quit smoking, it was just normal to me. I never get hungry in the mornings. 

Yeah, I naturally trend towards this as well.  I eat between 12-8 and fast the rest of the day (during the week, anyway).

I started this right before the year end. I go 12-8. Is tough with travel (trying to match times when you change time zones eg)

I read where <50 calories doesn’t knock you out of fast so I still put bit of milk in coffee. 

Basically you’re giving up a meal/day. Regardless of any other benefits of it (which who knows if true) you end up cutting a meal out. 

I’ve lost 10lbs or so in about 6 weeks and would like to knock another 5lbs off. That would put me at 6’3, 215. Any lower for my frame makes me look like a patient with a terminal illness. 

It hasn’t been that hard and I was a roll out of bed and eat right away guy. 

• Like 1

So fat me is sitting in the hospital waiting room full of nuke juice about to have the first scan of the stress test.

just had two really good bacon-egg-cheese breakfast tacos in the cafeteria. Hope the spicy salsa doesn’t kick in any time soon.

second scan is tomorrow. Two day procedure because... fat.

• Like 1