Fasting For Fatties is Favorable

Neonmoon

56 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

So fat me is sitting in the hospital waiting room full of nuke juice about to have the first scan of the stress test.

just had two really good bacon-egg-cheese breakfast tacos in the cafeteria. Hope the spicy salsa doesn’t kick in any time soon.

second scan is tomorrow. Two day procedure because... fat.

There's a lot of  beauty in this post. 

• 4 weeks later...

Catching back up on this thread for a few things:

@Armybrat - how did your scans turn out? are you dead yet?

Here is my update, just over a month ago and I've not been as diligent as I was in Dec/Jan but I'm down hovering at 220, so still good progress for me. It is harder to keep losing weight as there isn't as much lardass as there was 6 months ago.

And the real reason I came to post is there is a webinar next week by the NIH on the benefits of IF

n this webinar, three experts will present research on intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating in human and animal models. The speakers will describe biological, psychosocial, and behavioral mechanisms associated with each time-based dietary approach as well as their impact on cancer outcomes. The webinar will conclude with a Q&A.

National Cancer Institute (NCI) staff also will provide information about the recently published NCI provocative question #2 related to intermittent fasting: https://provocativequestions.cancer.gov/current-rfas-and-pqs.

Please submit questions in advance to ncidccpsbrpadvances@mail.nih.gov (include “Intermittent Fasting and Time-Restricted Eating” in subject line).

Date: March 11, 2020
Time: 1-2:30 p.m. EDT

https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/funding-foa-applicants.html

Clicked on the link and they let me register - so I've got that going for me, just name, email, and I put self for position and company; and I got the confirmation.

On 12/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, BabaYaga said:

Wife's MIL is an insanely good cook.  We "broke the fast" with her french toast casserole smothered in REAL maple syrup.  Now, I'm not keto, but I do follow a fairly regimented low-carb meal program.  Yeah, not that day.....

Me 30 minutes and a couple of cups of coffee later:

ina2nz.gif

Did you call Liberty Medical?

On 12/27/2019 at 9:21 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

Besides being younger and more active until my mid-30s, I skipped breakfast and ate lunch around noon and supper around 6. I rarely snacked after that. I was thinner then.

I’ve been thinking about returning to the intermittent fasting diet I didn’t even know I was on, but for two factors.

First, I like whole milk in my coffee (I didn’t drink coffee when I was younger), and I suspect that this may screw it up.

Second, my wife and I both took early retirement, and she has always been a breakfast eater. She likes having breakfast and supper together. Not so much as far as lunch goes.

I've read that milk in your coffee doesn't mess up IF. God I hope that's true, because I'm right there with you. I don't like black coffee much, and have a cup with warmed whole milk every morning. 

I started IF around mid-Dec as I was up to 235 (lots of travel/dinners). Weighed myself yesterday and was at 212. 
I am 6’3” and will ideally stabilize around 215 or so. (Which for my frame is pretty skinny)

i highly recommend doing IF as you just end up eating less. 

I've been doing the whole eating at noon, eating at 7, and that's it thing for a few years now and it earned me a weight increase to 235. Now I try to eat less but I will skip a meal every once in awhile. I'm down to 220.5, just need the extra kick to hit the 210s. @Bolero88 I'll tell you that milk still has carbs in it. I had no idea but a tall latte from starbucks still has 15g and that's without added sugar or flavors which is how I drink it anyway.

By the way that last part scares me because I've always heard that you can tell what stage of life you're in by how you drink your coffee. First you like it with milk and sugar, then you like it with milk, then you like it black, then you like it decaf, and then you die. Adios to my youth I guess.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I started IF around mid-Dec as I was up to 235 (lots of travel/dinners). Weighed myself yesterday and was at 212. 
I am 6’3” and will ideally stabilize around 215 or so. (Which for my frame is pretty skinny)

i highly recommend doing IF as you just end up eating less. 

I started IF on 1/1/20.. down 28 lbs. It works. Yeah, limiting the hours in which you can eat will naturally lower your caloric intake, unless you eat Chinese Buffet as your only meal of the day!

I have been doing 18:6.

But what i find really interesting is the theory (or maybe not theory) on fed state vs. fasted state. Its comforting (maybe not the right word) to think I have my body in a state for a 4 to 6 hours of the day where it is burning/using fat for energy instead of sugars (while i am sitting at work, no less!)

As far as coffee.. i do love half and half, but i have been trying to slowly ween myself off of it to just keep it black. I have read adding cream does technically breaks the fasted state, but if it helps get you thru the day in avoiding eating, you still should get positive results.

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yoladu said:

I started IF on 1/1/20.. down 28 lbs. It works. Yeah, limiting the hours in which you can eat will naturally lower your caloric intake, unless you eat Chinese Buffet as your only meal of the day!

I have been doing 18:6.

But what i find really interesting is the theory (or maybe not theory) on fed state vs. fasted state. Its comforting (maybe not the right word) to think I have my body in a state for a 4 to 6 hours of the day where it is burning/using fat for energy instead of sugars (while i am sitting at work, no less!)

As far as coffee.. i do love half and half, but i have been trying to slowly ween myself off of it to just keep it black. I have read adding cream does technically breaks the fasted state, but if it helps get you thru the day in avoiding eating, you still should get positive results.

I read a couple of places where <50 calories keeps you in fast so a little milk in coffee is ok. Have seen opposite written as well. I’m looking at it from calories in perspective and I was a religious breakfast eater so just cutting out that meal and the inevitable 10am ish snack has helped. I’m also doing a lot of hot yoga so that revs up engine also. I’m due for full physical soon so am curious as to all blood results etc

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The wife and I started the 16 hour intermittent fasting routine, which after some time to aclimate, are super easy to maintain during the week.  The problem is, on the weekends we like to drink with, eat snacks and watch shows after the kids go down, which throws everything off.

We've since resorted to extended fasts during the week.  Generally, we wont eat from Sunday night until Tuesday morning, but have started fasting until Tuesday and Weds evening as well, depending on how we feel.  The results have been crazy.  We've both lost over 30 pounds and our mental and physical states have both started adapting to the longer fasts.

Honestly, 6 months ago, the idea of not eating for 2-3 days would have been insane, but as you adapt it's actually pretty manageable and stimulating. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, BrazilHorn said:

I read a couple of places where <50 calories keeps you in fast so a little milk in coffee is ok. Have seen opposite written as well. I’m looking at it from calories in perspective and I was a religious breakfast eater so just cutting out that meal and the inevitable 10am ish snack has helped. I’m also doing a lot of hot yoga so that revs up engine also. I’m due for full physical soon so am curious as to all blood results etc

From what I've read, it depends on what your goal is. 

If you are looking for immune system reconstruction, etc, the sugar in the milk can throw off your fast, because of the sugar. 

If you're looking for weight loss, then you'll want your carb intake to be down so that your body doesn't experience an insulin spike, because insulin spikes lead to weight gain.  In that case, it would be better to use heavy whipping cream or MCT oil in your coffee, instead of milk. 

1 hour ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

The wife and I started the 16 hour intermittent fasting routine, which after some time to aclimate, are super easy to maintain during the week.  The problem is, on the weekends we like to drink with, eat snacks and watch shows after the kids go down, which throws everything off.

We've since resorted to extended fasts during the week.  Generally, we wont eat from Sunday night until Tuesday morning, but have started fasting until Tuesday and Weds evening as well, depending on how we feel.  The results have been crazy.  We've both lost over 30 pounds and our mental and physical states have both started adapting to the longer fasts.

Honestly, 6 months ago, the idea of not eating for 2-3 days would have been insane, but as you adapt it's actually pretty manageable and stimulating. 

When I do 16 hour fasts, lots of the time I just won't eat lunch until 1:00 or 2:00.  That lets me drink until 9 or 10pm.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

If you are looking for immune system reconstruction, etc, the sugar in the milk can throw off your fast, because of the sugar. 

If you're looking for weight loss, then you'll want your carb intake to be down so that your body doesn't experience an insulin spike, because insulin spikes lead to weight gain.  In that case, it would be better to use heavy whipping cream or MCT oil in your coffee, instead of milk. 

This

Intermittent fasting works for me. I only eat from 11am to 6pm regardless of morning workout I do. So far down 25 pounds and have held steady for 2 years now. 

Any idea what the comparison is of your daily calorie intake with/without the intermittent fasting?

* Apologies if this issue was addressed somewhere in the 50+ posts I skipped.

1 minute ago, scottsins said:

Any idea what the comparison is of your daily calorie intake with/without the intermittent fasting?

* Apologies if this issue was addressed somewhere in the 50+ posts I skipped.

Not really but I do eat what I want. The only thing I avoid when I can is bread. 

When I do 16 hour fasts, lots of the time I just won't eat lunch until 1:00 or 2:00.  That lets me drink until 9 or 10pm.

This is what I do. I’ve lost 10 pounds in the first month. Monday-Thursday I eat between 12-8 and I don’t drink at night. Friday and Saturday, I don’t eat until 4 and have some drinks until midnight. It’s been remarkably easy to adjust.

On 2/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Generally, we wont eat from Sunday night until Tuesday morning, but have started fasting until Tuesday and Weds evening as well, depending on how we feel.  The results have been crazy.

Gee, I wonder why?  That sounds horrible unless you’re going on a hunger strike.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Gee, I wonder why?  That sounds horrible unless you’re going on a hunger strike.

I was of the same mind like 3 months ago when my buddy first brought to our attention.  Then he said he lost 30lbs in a month and my jaw dropped.  He sent us this book with the data behind fasting and instructions for different fasting plans, including the extended fasts.

Not something I'd want to do all the time, but they can be really helpful if you want to lose weight quickly or reset after a vacation, the holidays, etc.

Honestly, it's a challenge that has results, and you literally do nothing.  You'd be surprised how much food has an impact on your life.  Buying food, prepping food, eating food, all takes time. On fasting days, its like, what do I do with all this extra time?

And, I'm not gonna lie, there are times when you feel hungry, but crazily enough, times when you're not and you haven't eaten in a day or 2 days. 

4 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I was of the same mind like 3 months ago when my buddy first brought to our attention.  Then he said he lost 30lbs in a month and my jaw dropped.  He sent us this book with the data behind fasting and instructions for different fasting plans, including the extended fasts.

Not something I'd want to do all the time, but they can be really helpful if you want to lose weight quickly or reset after a vacation, the holidays, etc.

Honestly, it's a challenge that has results, and you literally do nothing.  You'd be surprised how much food has an impact on your life.  Buying food, prepping food, eating food, all takes time. On fasting days, its like, what do I do with all this extra time?

And, I'm not gonna lie, there are times when you feel hungry, but crazily enough, times when you're not and you haven't eaten in a day or 2 days. 

@EvilCaseMcCoy do you remember the name of this book?

On 2/4/2022 at 12:46 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Last month I went 10 days without eating...

I had covid, though...and my appetite was shit.

I did lose 30 lbs last month, though, so I've got that going for me.  Which I needed because I'm STILL fat and have a ways to go to get where I need to be.

I'm thinking about doing this IF, so this thread is a good source of info for me.  I'll try not to do 10 days again.  Probably not the healthiest thing for me.

On 12/26/2019 at 7:56 AM, Incredulity said:

Plus several decades of the conventional wisdom being, "eat small regular meals", "breakfast is the most important meal of the day"...

Used to be that not eating would put your body in "starvation mode" & you would store fat. 5+ small meals throughout the day was recommended to stoke your metabolism. 

On 2/6/2022 at 8:48 PM, Caponata said:

Used to be that not eating would put your body in "starvation mode" & you would store fat. 5+ small meals throughout the day was recommended to stoke your metabolism. 

When I lived in Asia, the locals in our office couldn't go two hours without shoveling food in their mouths.  And they were all skinny af.

Granted they were chowing down on fruits, vegetables, very lean meat and rice so it's not like they were pigging out on twinkies and cookies.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2022 at 6:48 PM, Caponata said:

Don't even get me started on the "food pyramid" and the requirements of so much grain/pasta with every meal.  Probably killed more people than smallpox

18 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Started IF on 12/21 @ 215lbs.

Today @ 191lbs

I usually try an 18:6 or 20:4 ratio depending on how my day goes and try to slurp down 60oz of water. My vices are sweets and medical mj. The munchies are fucking hard to fend off.

good job man.  you working out any?

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Don't even get me started on the "food pyramid" and the requirements of so much grain/pasta with every meal.  Probably killed more people than smallpox

I can still see the laminated posters in my school cafeteria.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

I occasionally workout but taken up a lot more hiking, to accelerate the heart rate.

I workout pretty consistently, but "rucking" is a game changer.  Keep the rucksack in the car, and often get to do it at kids practices during the week or around a local park on the weekends.  Up to roughly 60lbs and it's a game changer, especially in the heat of the summer.  

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I workout pretty consistently, but "rucking" is a game changer.  Keep the rucksack in the car, and often get to do it at kids practices during the week or around a local park on the weekends.  Up to roughly 60lbs and it's a game changer, especially in the heat of the summer.  

Did you buy a GoRuck bag or did you just DIY it?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Did you buy a GoRuck bag or did you just DIY it?

DIY

I hike and hunt quite a bit so it was an easy task.  Non-frame hunting pack with padded shoulder straps and a waist strap for better control.  Then off you go.  Use sealed sandbags.  I have a dedicated duffle covered with straps and handles.  They sell these heavy-duty internal bags that seal with with velcro that are perfect.  Stand them upright and they help keep the weight off the bottom of the bag and they don't shift much in transit.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

I did 120 days of (mostly) Rolling 48’s (one-meal-every-other-day) in 2021. Lost 75 pounds. I gained back 45 during football season.

I’m now planning a stint of Rolling 72’s. We’ll see how it goes. Just finished my first cycle with lunch today.

I’ve done longer fasts too. I once went 27 days with only eating two big salads, one on Day 10 and one on Day 20.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I don't get this whole long-term fasting shit.  It seems that unless you are going to do it forever you are going to gain back some if not most of any weight you drop when you do eventually stop. 

For those of you that go this route, do you maintain 3 or 4 wardrobes for the various weight ranges you yo-yo between or do you buy new shit every few months when the weight fluctuates enough?

On 2/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

It seems that unless you are going to do it forever you are going to gain back some if not most of any weight you drop when you do eventually stop.

No.  If you fast forever, you will die. If you fast for awhile, you’ll burn fat. As for gaining weight after fasting, we’ll, that depends on what (foods & quantity) you eat after ending your fast. I don’t blame the fast for what happens after.

Bernard

On 2/4/2022 at 12:52 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Heavy whipping cream in coffee blows away milk and it’s not even close.  That’s all I ever use.  Stevia for sweetener.

IF combined with a decent workout routine it’s money.  I do IF a couple of times a week and hit the gym at least an hour per day — 55 yrs old/6 foot flat/176 lbs/11% body fat as of last reading.

Oh, and I live in San Antonio and eat stuff like this all the time…

AF79186B-36F7-4672-9E8C-83DA4D528513.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 9:56 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I guess I don't get this whole long-term fasting shit.  It seems that unless you are going to do it forever you are going to gain back some if not most of any weight you drop when you do eventually stop. 

For those of you that go this route, do you maintain 3 or 4 wardrobes for the various weight ranges you yo-yo between or do you buy new shit every few months when the weight fluctuates enough?

yes. Whether I believe the science or not, I could understand a frequent 16-hour or maybe a infrequent 2-day fast. But the week+ fast stories, in order to lose weight, seem crazy to me.

Why not just stop eating so much crap when you’re not fasting? If you weigh 250 and then fast down to 200 within a month(s), put a diet plan in place to prevent the yo-yo back to 250.