Fire Mike Yurcich

RGBIII

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Please can you quote someone that has seriously said that Yurcich is a comfort hire. Don't piggyback Ash onto Yurcich. Ash was a comfort hire.

Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick, Dan. I even added a winky-smiley face, because I was pretty certain that if I didn't, people would think I was serious. And yet here you are, demonstrating that -- yet again -- there are no limits to human obliviousness.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

We’re Ohio State without the more elite talent. 

Ohio State is a stepping stone job for coaches who want to coach at a blue blood like Texas. Just look at all the coaches from the Ohio State who are coming here. Next thing you know, Ryan Day or Urban Meyer will be coaching here.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

My opinion is that Tom was afraid what would happen if he didn't get a staff on the road recruiting, and just went with his UH staff. If he waited around for the homerun hires, the 2017 class would have completely fallen apart. He had to pick his poison. I'm not sure if he had a handshake deal with his staff to guarantee them two years and the Sugar Bowl gave him hope that this staff, would indeed workout. That put him in the gar hole where he now finds himself. Ash had to have been a good coordinator, or he would not have been offered a head coach position. Yurcich's offense at Okie State speaks for itself. I'm cautiously optimistic.

CHIEF

A little of that is wishful thinking. He thought Orlando was a good hire. I thought Orlando was a good hire. This year, though proved we were wrong. Not that we are as talented as we think we are, but his scheme can only work with elite corners and seasoned players. And even then, there was too much risk with too little reward. Our line play wasn't designed to get penetration and blitzing from the edge on most downs and leaving our best rusher in coverage was a mistake.

As far as Beck goes, he is an elite recruiter and a pretty good teacher. He just is not very good at scheming and attacking defenses and isn't a good play caller. He basically passed his ceiling as a solid D1 QB coach.

Personally, I'm not down on the hires but more down on the firings. Firing two coordinators at the same time left the impression that we were desperate (and we were). We should have replaced Beck last year and when Herman realized Orlando wasn't getting it done, it would have made the transition easier when he had to let Orlando go.

• Like 1

Don't give a fuck about Yourkich's or Ash's HC days. For now, chalk 'em up to Peter Principle - much like MensaTom, as he appears to be headed. I'm gonna assume that YourAsh are competent, maybe highly so, at their respective sub-HC jobs. If that turns out to be so, and if MensaTom allows them to exercise their own judgment and execute the tactics to carry out his (and their, be fair) strategies for winning every god-damned game they set foot on the field to play... we're all gonna be happy fucking campers.

Hey, it could happen.

I'm not expecting it, but it could happen.

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

My opinion is that Tom was afraid what would happen if he didn't get a staff on the road recruiting, and just went with his UH staff. If he waited around for the homerun hires, the 2017 class would have completely fallen apart. He had to pick his poison. I'm not sure if he had a handshake deal with his staff to guarantee them two years and the Sugar Bowl gave him hope that this staff, would indeed workout. That put him in the gar hole where he now finds himself. Ash had to have been a good coordinator, or he would not have been offered a head coach position. Yurcich's offense at Okie State speaks for itself. I'm cautiously optimistic.

CHIEF

How many commits did he get who weren’t already committed under Chuckles? I don’t remember any. 

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

How many commits did he get who weren’t already committed under Chuckles? I don’t remember any. 

Kerstetter was committed to Oklahoma State and Cosmi and Bimage were committed to Houston when Herman was hired.  He got them to change to Texas.  There may have been others. 

1 hour ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Kerstetter was committed to Oklahoma State and Cosmi and Bimage were committed to Houston when Herman was hired.  He got them to change to Texas.  There may have been others. 

Leitao was headed to Nebraska and Brewer to SMU. Toneil Carter was cut loose by UGA but hadn't been terribly interested in UT beforehand. Daniel Young was a UH commit.

Some people just try to rewrite history to validate their opinions...

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Leitao was headed to Nebraska

What is going to happen with tight ends next year? I haven't heard anything about the Arizona guy who is redshirting and Wiley is still somewhat of an unknown. Leitao and Brewer are pretty well known at this point and both are average D1 starters at best.

Edited by Bevo

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

A little of that is wishful thinking. He thought Orlando was a good hire. I thought Orlando was a good hire. This year, though proved we were wrong. Not that we are as talented as we think we are, but his scheme can only work with elite corners and seasoned players. And even then, there was too much risk with too little reward. Our line play wasn't designed to get penetration and blitzing from the edge on most downs and leaving our best rusher in coverage was a mistake.

As far as Beck goes, he is an elite recruiter and a pretty good teacher. He just is not very good at scheming and attacking defenses and isn't a good play caller. He basically passed his ceiling as a solid D1 QB coach.

Personally, I'm not down on the hires but more down on the firings. Firing two coordinators at the same time left the impression that we were desperate (and we were). We should have replaced Beck last year and when Herman realized Orlando wasn't getting it done, it would have made the transition easier when he had to let Orlando go.

Solid post.

I think we have learned that when a head coach has to assume any chunk of a coordinator's responsibility, it is a very bad thing.  The head coach at Texas doesn't have time for that, for sure, and if he can't fully delegate both sides of the ball, he's in trouble.

at least we have 2 co-ordinators that have had decent success at the P5 level as co-ordinators now.  cautiously optimistic.  Herman needs to close strong on the class.

I hope at least CDC has learned the lesson of making sure you find out who your HC is going to hire for co-ordinators.

sucks it took 3 years for Tom to figure out Orlando was in over his head and Beck was a disaster waiting to happen, if you just say "run my offense Tim here is the playbook."

Can I get an okie lite fan in here to detail why you were happy to see Yurcich leave? I seem to recall it had to do with a QB controversy among other things maybe. He definitely could put up some numbers. 

It was a vocal minority. From what I recall, too many bubble screens and weirdly too many deep balls or something? He had a pretty shitty oline for most of his tenure and did a lot with limited QBs prior to Rudolph. I do recall some frustration with lack of in game adjustments when offense struggled, but some blamed Yurcich others blamed Gundy. I don’t really have an opinion except that we did have some lack of adjustment games, but many other successful adjustments. We won a lot of games after trailing. I think he’s pretty good. I don’t know if he will fix your issues under Herman.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Jesus Christ on a popsicle stick, Dan. I even added a winky-smiley face, because I was pretty certain that if I didn't, people would think I was serious. And yet here you are, demonstrating that -- yet again -- there are no limits to human obliviousness.

conversation GIF

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

at least we have 2 co-ordinators that have had decent success at the P5 level as co-ordinators now.  cautiously optimistic.  Herman needs to close strong on the class.

I hope at least CDC has learned the lesson of making sure you find out who your HC is going to hire for co-ordinators.

sucks it took 3 years for Tom to figure out Orlando was in over his head and Beck was a disaster waiting to happen, if you just say "run my offense Tim here is the playbook."

Did Mr. Burns write this post? Stop hyphenating “coordinator” you weirdo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Solid post.

I think we have learned that when a head coach has to assume any chunk of a coordinator's responsibility, it is a very bad thing.  The head coach at Texas doesn't have time for that, for sure, and if he can't fully delegate both sides of the ball, he's in trouble.

Please don’t buy Herman’s bullshit. He may not like doing it, or prefer to call plays from the booth, but it absolutely can be done. See Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Patterson, and many others. Are you saying the coaches at Ohio State and OU doesn’t have time to call plays? They both seem to do it well along with the HC duties. 

What we learned is Herman can’t do it or won’t. We also learned he’d rather lose games than fire a coordinator during the season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Please don’t buy Herman’s bullshit. He may not like doing it, or prefer to call plays from the booth, but it absolutely can be done. See Lincoln Riley, Ryan Day, Patterson, and many others. Are you saying the coaches at Ohio State and OU doesn’t have time to call plays? They both seem to do it well along with the HC duties. 

What we learned is Herman can’t do it or won’t. We also learned he’d rather lose games than fire a coordinator during the season.

Freaking Sean Payton, one of the best coaches in the NFL over the last two decades, calls his own offense. 

It's ridiculous that the media lets him skate with the "you can't call plays as the HC" garbage. There are dozens of examples of it on the college level and a handful even at the higher NFL level.

Herman doesn't want to call plays. It's beneath him. That's all it comes down to.

Edited by BradInATX