Fire Mike Yurcich

RGBIII

11 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Your offense in 2018 was 7th in the country - your defense was 71st. 

You gave up 48 points to Iowa State in that loss you referenced earlier - your anger seems misplaced. 

The inability to play consistent defense under Gundy cost Oklahoma State there one chance at greatness. I firmly believe they would have beaten LSU in 2011. But yeah, it's the Top 7 offense's fault they went 7-6.

Edited by HtownHorn

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Those piling on realize how good our scoring O and yardage ranks were this year, right?

I'm aware - which is why I don't think the offense needs an entire overhaul.  Texas has enough talent on offense that they should have been a top 10 offense this year (rather than the 17th they were in ppg).   Yurcich is a talented offensive mind who can come in here and take this offense into the next tier (a playoff level offense).  He doesn't need to reinvent the wheel - he needs to come in and take playcalling and some game-planning off of Herman's plate so that Herman can concentrate on making fewer bone-headed decisions in-game.

56 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

From 2013-2018 OSU had a ranking class average of 43 and only signed 10 4* recruits and none of them where top 100 players if give some context to how little Yurcich had to work with at Ok State and still fielded top 20 offenses.

pulp fiction film GIF

Aside from that, just looking at 247 composite, their rankings are: 31, 27, 40, 45, 38, 34. Which would average about 36. Seven spots better isn't insignificant in recruiting.  5, 4, 7, 7, 4, 5 in the B12. I'm surprised they've only finished fourth twice, to be honest, but the offensive guys were always the headliners and driving the rankings up. Overall their offensive recruiting and evals were pretty good. I certainly don't think it's fair to say he had nothing to work with. Yurchich enjoyed a talent advantage over most teams on the schedule.

They brought in guys on offense like: Marcell Ateman, Tyreek Hill, Mason Rudolph, James Washington, Chris Carson, Justice Hill, Tylan Wallace, Chuba Hubbard, and most recently Spencer Sanders. Most of those guys were fairly highly ranked recruits (Washington, Hill, and Hubbard being the exceptions - god damn Texas should just offer who they offer at RB) and all of them except maybe Ateman and Sanders have had or will have some NFL staying power. Given the recruiting landscape of the B12 it's fair to say they had the best offensive talent outside of Texas or OU, maybe TCU some years, and certainly were bringing in better offensive personnel than most of the league was getting on defense.

Edited by gmr548

I'm aware - which is why I don't think the offense needs an entire overhaul.  Texas has enough talent on offense that they should have been a top 10 offense this year (rather than the 17th they were in ppg).   Yurcich is a talented offensive mind who can come in here and take this offense into the next tier (a playoff level offense).  He doesn't need to reinvent the wheel - he needs to come in and take playcalling and some game-planning off of Herman's plate so that Herman can concentrate on making fewer bone-headed decisions in-game.

This.....

......and sprinkle in a little QB Whispering to fine tune Sam’s accuracy, and get him to stop flipping the ball in his hands when receiving the snap.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

You're right. Being the type who steps in and calls plays when the coordinator isn't getting it done requires introspection, humility and admitting mistakes. Herman has made it abundantly clear he doesn't want to be that type.

As @HenryJames said, he did exactly that. There's plenty to be mad at Herman about without inventing stuff.

Edited by texifornia

35 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Yup. Looks like two immense upgrades at both OC and DC. That’s not something many of us expected a few weeks ago.

This isn’t Charlie and Perrin going to Tulsa to beg a coach to accept. This is two successful coaches, each with lots of options, thinking Texas is a good move for them. They aren’t coming on board scared this is a one-year stint on a sinking ship.

Now Herman just needs to hire someone to make the decisions during the game and we are set.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Is it pronounced "Yur-sich", "Yur-chich", or "Yur-chic"?

I'm thinking  "yur-sic" is possible. Hard to tell with those names, as different families in different areas of America will anglicize their names differently.

Edited by UncleBuck

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Yep, he was a fine coordinator with us. The comment that Rudolph "covered" for him is absurd. He also took noodle arm J.W. Walsh and game manager Clint Chelf to 10 wins and damn near a conference title. Hell, we went toe to toe with Famous Jameis in the first game after FSU won the national title, and did it with 'ol noodle arm. Add that Wickline decided to leave us fucked on o-line and much of Yurcich's tenure was with a crappy to below average oline. Yeah, we had some offensive duds, and I distinctly recall a few WTF calls, but not many, and it happens to every team. The stats y'all have stated tell the story, he was a good coordinator, and our inability to get over the hump has been mostly defensive. The people who were "happy" to see Yurcich go are the same people now who want to "fire Gundy."

Image result for you know, morons

I hated Tom as a hire from day 1. Moreso when he took what was likely a blank check for coordinators and chose Orlando and Beck. 

I like this hire A LOT. God damnit Tom, why didn’t you do this 3 years ago instead. 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Those piling on realize how good our scoring O and yardage ranks were this year, right?

I'm sorry but the running game was a disaster from the very beginning of the season, and once Johnson went out to injury the WR production dipped as well. Yes, they had some big performances, and also some really shitty ones. The hope is for game in and game out consistency.

40 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

pulp fiction film GIF

Aside from that, just looking at 247 composite, their rankings are: 31, 27, 40, 45, 38, 34. Which would average about 36. Seven spots better isn't insignificant in recruiting.  5, 4, 7, 7, 4, 5 in the B12. I'm surprised they've only finished fourth twice, to be honest, but the offensive guys were always the headliners and driving the rankings up. Overall their offensive recruiting and evals were pretty good. I certainly don't think it's fair to say he had nothing to work with. Yurchich enjoyed a talent advantage over most teams on the schedule.

They brought in guys on offense like: Marcell Ateman, Tyreek Hill, Mason Rudolph, James Washington, Chris Carson, Justice Hill, Tylan Wallace, Chuba Hubbard, and most recently Spencer Sanders. Most of those guys were fairly highly ranked recruits (Washington, Hill, and Hubbard being the exceptions - god damn Texas should just offer who they offer at RB) and all of them except maybe Ateman and Sanders have had or will have some NFL staying power. Given the recruiting landscape of the B12 it's fair to say they had the best offensive talent outside of Texas or OU, maybe TCU some years, and certainly were bringing in better offensive personnel than most of the league was getting on defense.

The problem with offering whoever OSU is offering at RB indicates that Texas has a competent running scheme. They don't right now, maybe Yurcich will bring one with him.

Tom probably needed his blank check to get him.  He was making really good money at tosu.  I like him more than harrell, probably about as good of an oc as there is available.  we should be much improved on both sides of the ball next year.  can't wait to see who the new LB coach is.

6 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

Tom probably needed his blank check to get him.  He was making really good money at tosu.  I like him more than harrell, probably about as good of an oc as there is available.  we should be much improved on both sides of the ball next year.  can't wait to see who the new LB coach is.

According to the USA Today coaches salary database - Yurcich had a max salary of 1.3 million this year (base pay plus all bonuses).  Assuming we're giving him a raise - we just made him the second highest paid OC in college football (behind only Steve Sarkisian).

I'm interested to see if we actually gave him a raise - or if he took less in order to have additional responsibilities and play-calling (that he didn't have at Ohio St.)

It's XII football. You need to average at least 30 ppg to have a prayer. Some games, you need 40 or even 50 to win. All things considered, Offense is what wins XII champeenships. YurAsh might could do that.

But... Defense is what wins National Champeenships. YurAsh might could do that, too.

We need O to win XII and get into the playffs, and then we need D to win the 14th and 15th games of the season.

It could happen - why not?

• Like 3