Fire Mike Yurcich

RGBIII

11 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The Robert Allen part is worth listening to. He's covered OSU for 15+ years and seems decent. The rest of the podcast is so bad that if you're in the car it may make you want to drive into a brick wall, so be careful.

You mean you don’t want to hear FCB give Bobby “The Godfather” Burton that Gluck Gluck 9000 for half an hour? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Will Herman be ok with constantly running tempo? He likes to be a bitch and sit on a lead way to often.

I don't have a problem with trying to grind out drives with a substantial lead IF there isn't too much time remaining on the clock relative to the opponent's quick strike ability. The Red River Shootout against midget Murray comes to mind. Winning with a last second field goal shouldn't have been necessary. It's a matter of the play calling required to make that happen and keep the chains moving. By all means, if upping the tempo is the only option, so be it, but simply improving the play calling with better misdirection that build on the plays sequentially called and better play execution as well would go a long ways to making those grinding drives work without going up-tempo. We were way too predictable on a lot of those turtle drive attempts.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 3:47 PM, Chopper said:

The Robert Allen part is worth listening to. He's covered OSU for 15+ years and seems decent. The rest of the podcast is so bad that if you're in the car it may make you want to drive into a brick wall, so be careful.

Finally listened to the Robert Allen part while traveling today. It was good stuff, even though listening to FCB’s voice is awful. 

While skipping through to find the Robert Allen segment, I heard Chip talking to someone and I didn’t recognize the voice at first. As I realized it was Burton, I heard him say he was sure Beck needed to go as OC, but he’s still not sold that Orlando should have been fired. Bobby Burton is a fucking moron. 

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

@satyanash You got this?

(Ian Boyd) The Mike Yurcich offense: Coming to Austin?

We can't confirm this is done but Brett McMurphy says...

If you ask the Ohio State people, McMurphy is pretty tight with Tom Herman 😉 so this seems pretty solid.

Yurcich has been the OC/QB coach (or passing game coordinator) at three stops now in his still young offensive career. He took off at Shippensburg down in Division II from whence Mike Gundy plucked him to be the offensive coordinator for the Pokes. Last year Yurcich left Stillwater after six very strong seasons there and took the job of "QB coach and passing game coordinator" at Ohio State.

I hear from people on the Buckeye side of things that he did wonders with Justin Fields, completely reworking his mechanics and getting him in shape to have the year he did, throwing 40 TDs to one INT at 8.3 ypa. The impression is that the game planning and overall coordination was more of the purview of Ryan Day and Kevin Wilson while Yurcich focused on getting Fields right. Perhaps receiving little credit or authority in that role is why he was open to this move. At Oklahoma State I believe Yurcich had a little more control over game planning and play-calling but under the close watch of Mike Gundy and within the existing Oklahoma State system.

That said, there are some consistent themes to his offense's performances that I have tried to capture in this table:

image.png

Having seen the 2014 Oklahoma State playbook and then looking up these numbers, I was able to piece together how the offense works easily enough. The "Y" slot receiver is very vertically inclined and regularly attacking the seams be it on RPOs, play-action, or their drop back passing game. The outside receivers have a much simpler route tree but the play-action and the verticality of the Y slot tends to get them isolated in 1-on-1 matchups with the cornerbacks, wherein they thrive and put up huge numbers.

The 2017 offense was probably his best, combining Jalen McClesky with big Marcell Ateman (think Collin Johnson or maybe Malcolm Epps) and ultra-dangerous James Washington (think Brennan Eagles). You could argue that 2018 was his true masterpiece though, when he accomplished nearly similar results after turning over all three receiver positions and plugging in Taylor "Corndog" Cornelius for Mason Rudolph.

Yurcich will have a remarkably easy time overseeing and upgrading the existing "inside zone plus RPOs and play-action" dimension of the playbook with Herb Hand while evolving the passing game to offer more verticality and explosiveness. His offenses have been much more in the "smashmouth spread" vein. They've been balanced but Yurcich likes to use the run game to set up opportunities to score with the passing game. Or else force you to yield room against the run game by threatening to score with the passing game.

To this point Texas' passing game has been more ball-control oriented, pro-spread if you will, and they can keep some of those dimensions since Sam Ehlinger executes them so well. Ideally this hire would bring Y-cross and dig-post combinations where Texas is looking to get Jake Smith up the seam and Brennan Eagles on post routes, leading to more touchdowns. In pursuit of the necessary goal of scoring 40+ per game and trying to lean more on offense in order to get that elusive Big 12 championship in 2020, this approach could do the trick.

There will be more to say but that's a broad view of what Texas would be getting with a Yurcich hire.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I guess Uter didn't watch the game last night.

The game last night demonstrated that we have decent talent with shitty coaching on all three top levels.

A defense showed up that wasn’t around for the past 38 games , but in game 39 somehow they play like an above average to elite defense. The offense somehow was able to execute more than 3 plays, and both lines played well for nearly 60 minutes. This is on TH, and I hope he had an epiphany about what a dildo of a HC he has been outside of bowl game opponents w/ 4 weeks to prepare.

Some folks are slow learners, some are permanently impaired. Next season will be telling indeed despite the usual rationalizations and pathetic excuses if things don’t go much, much better.

4 minutes ago, El Squared said:

The game last night demonstrated that we have decent talent with shitty coaching on all three top levels.

A defense showed up that wasn’t around for the past 38 games , but in game 39 somehow they play like an above average to elite defense. The offense somehow was able to execute more than 3 plays, and both lines played well for nearly 60 minutes. This is on TH, and I hope he had an epiphany about what a dildo of a HC he has been outside of bowl game opponents w/ 4 weeks to prepare.

Some folks are slow learners, some are permanently impaired. Next season will be telling indeed despite the usual rationalizations and pathetic excuses if things don’t go much, much better.

Uhhh...we had an elite defense for all of 2017. I know you have a deep hatred for “Densa” but there’s plenty of things to hate him for without making shit up. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Uhhh...we had an elite defense for all of 2017. I know you have a deep hatred for “Densa” but there’s plenty of things to hate him for without making shit up. 

You sure about "all of 2017"???  I remember eeking out a home win against a mediocre Kansas State team after they racked up 34 points on us.  And I remember that elite defense giving up 51 points at home against Maryland.  But to your overall point, we had a very good (not great) defense in 2017.  A good defense in 2018 (not as good in 2017, IMO).  And then of course, the worst defense in school history in 2019.  

anyway, very curious to see what these two new coordinators do in 2020.  Depending on a few other variables, we are set to have the third highest paid staff in America.  Maybe we can win 8 games again.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You sure about "all of 2017"???  I remember eeking out a home win against a mediocre Kansas State team after they racked up 34 points on us.  And I remember that elite defense giving up 51 points at home against Maryland.  But to your overall point, we had a very good (not great) defense in 2017.  A good defense in 2018 (not as good in 2017, IMO).  And then of course, the worst defense in school history in 2019.  

anyway, very curious to see what these two new coordinators do in 2020.  Depending on a few other variables, we are set to have the third highest paid staff in America.  Maybe we can win 8 games again.  

I didn’t say that we had an elite performance every week, but our defense was elite in 2017. We were the 7th best defense in the country per FEI in 2017 and we faced 4 quarterbacks that were taken in the 1st 3 rounds of the NFL draft that year. 

our defense wasn’t good by any stretch of the imagination in 2018. We were 44th in 2018, so probably below average for a P5 school, but very underperforming for Texas’ talent.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

@satyanashYou got this?

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

(Ian Boyd) The Mike Yurcich offense: Coming to Austin?

Based on that Ian Boyd article, looks like Yurich is gonna evolve the offense from ball-control power-spread/Greg Davis WCO Pro-spread to a vertical Smashmouth spread. Good!

• Fuck You 1

23 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

You are delusional,

Please review the record before making ridiculous  statements  while appearing to know it all.

JFC . 2017 elite defense ? What planet are you on? Tom. 

58 minutes ago, El Squared said:

You are delusional,

Please review the record before making ridiculous  statements  while appearing to know it all.

JFC . 2017 elite defense ? What planet are you on? Tom. 

Lol. I see you’re now just going around quoting all my posts. Funny that you asked for  evidence to support my conclusion in the other thread, yet here I gave stats and data to backup what I said while you haven’t given any to support your baseless assertions.

We were 7th in the country in FEI. That’s elite.  We faced 5 of the top 25 offenses in the country that year, including the #1 and #2 offenses in the country and held both of those to their lowest scoring output of the season.  

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I’m excited for our offense next season. Losing CJ and Duvernay is tough, but we’ve got good talent at that position. Still impressed by this hire

CJ had a slightly disappointing career in my eyes, but still a unique talent. I don't think he projects well at the next level, he doesn't separate from DB's at all. Duvernay was a John Harris level pleasant surprise this year. The guy is stellar and should make someone very happy as a slot receiver. 

With Eagles, Smith, and Marcus Washington coming back, I feel like our receiving core will be pretty damn salty next year and possibly more productive across the board. I would love to see Eagles become the new James Washington.

35 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

CJ had a slightly disappointing career in my eyes, but still a unique talent. I don't think he projects well at the next level, he doesn't separate from DB's at all. Duvernay was a John Harris level pleasant surprise this year. The guy is stellar and should make someone very happy as a slot receiver. 

With Eagles, Smith, and Marcus Washington coming back, I feel like our receiving core will be pretty damn salty next year and possibly more productive across the board. I would love to see Eagles become the new James Washington.

It's not really about what CJ can do at the next level, or even his amount of athleticism and his production in college, but he was the guy Sam felt confident in when everything broke down, and he'd make a lot of the tough catches where his radius came into play. In almost half the games, he had 6 more receptions than the third leading receiver on the team (Eagles with 32).

Then you have Duvernay with 106 catches. Adding to that CJ's 38, that was darn close to half of the team's total receptions (just over 300 total, including Sam's 2).

I don't think the talent coming back and up is an issue, but looking over this year's production can lead some to question, because Sam and the offense leaned on CJ and Duvernay quite a bit. But I imagine the younger guys step up. 

Edited by UncleBuck

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

It's not really about what CJ can do at the next level, or even his amount of athleticism and his production in college, but he was the guy Sam felt confident in when everything broke down, and he'd make a lot of the tough catches where his radius came into play. In almost half the games, he had 6 more receptions than the third leading receiver on the team (Eagles with 32).

Then you have Duvernay with 106 catches. Adding to that CJ's 38, that was darn close to half of the team's total receptions (just over 300 total, including Sam's 2).

I don't think the talent coming back and up is an issue, but looking over this year's production can lead some to question, because Sam and the offense leaned on CJ and Duvernay quite a bit. But I imagine the younger guys step up. 

It's also just how Herman's offenses operate. Almost every single year, the H receiver will lead in targets/receptions, with X being next and then a pretty big drop off. The Z and the TE will usually be 3rd and 4th but significantly below the other two and then you'll have 1 or 2 RBs with a solid number of catches.  I'm curious to see if Yurcich's influence can cause us to be less reliant on specific positions/players and better at attacking each defense's weaknesses from week to week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I'm curious to see if Yurcich's influence can cause us to be less reliant on specific positions/players and better at attacking each defense's weaknesses from week to week.

Same, almost mentioned this.

Also forgot to mention that, outside of which receivers happen to be targeted more within Herman's scheme (as you mentioned), it's also not odd and kind of a no-brainer that two seniors who could have gone pro the year before lead a team in receptions by quite a large margin. 

Edited by UncleBuck

7 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

One of the reasons things broke down so often is because the recievers couldn't get any separation and get open, including CJ.  After giving them more than ample time he'd just habe to say fuck it and fling a prayer.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Same, almost mentioned this.

Also forgot to mention that, outside of which receivers happen to be targeted more within Herman's scheme, it's also not odd and kind of a no-brainer that two seniors who could have gone pro the year before lead a team in receptions by quite a large margin. 

Yeah, but the breakdown of receptions by position is very close most years in Herman's offense regardless of who plays those positions. It's a trend that goes well beyond just CJ and Duv this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

Just now, nunna yo bizness said:

One of the reasons things broke down so often is because the recievers couldn't get any separation and get open, including CJ.  After giving them more than ample time he'd just habe to say fuck it and fling a prayer.

Eh, sometimes. Sam reminds me of NFL Deshaun Watson a bit. He doesn't see things sometimes, then will get too jumpy in the pocket, or leave it all together. 

11 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

I asked in the 2020 thread but this may be a better place to ask. How is Jared Wiley expected to do going forward? He’s a really big target and could be beneficial with the new OC? How is his speed/hands?

Word is Wiley has the makings of an absolute stud

20 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Eh, sometimes. Sam reminds me of NFL Deshaun Watson a bit. He doesn't see things sometimes, then will get too jumpy in the pocket, or leave it all together. 

I think Sam is too afraid of potentially throwing an INT, which is why he waits until a receiver has stopped his route and stares back at him as a confirmation that he is ready to receive the ball. 

• Like 1

I think Sam is too afraid of potentially throwing an INT, which is why he waits until a receiver has stopped his route and stares back at him as a confirmation that he is ready to receive the ball. 
I think he's been coached to avoid throwing late across the middle to the point that anything across the middle is late.

I'm a very big believer in throwing posts, skinny posts, & post/corner. In my power spread dreams, one of these is run on almost every pass play. It keeps the safeties loose and keeps man corners back turned to allow more space underneath... And when they start cheatin, that's when we start beatin.

We should have thrown a lot more of these this year and last.... And next.
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Snacks said:

I think he's been coached to avoid throwing late across the middle to the point that anything across the middle is late.

I'm a very big believer in throwing posts, skinny posts, & post/corner. In my power spread dreams, one of these is run on almost every pass play. It keeps the safeties loose and keeps man corners back turned to allow more space underneath... And when they start cheatin, that's when we start beatin.

We should have thrown a lot more of these this year and last.... And next.

Gary Patterson sock confirmed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's also just how Herman's offenses operate. Almost every single year, the H receiver will lead in targets/receptions, with X being next and then a pretty big drop off. The Z and the TE will usually be 3rd and 4th but significantly below the other two and then you'll have 1 or 2 RBs with a solid number of catches.  I'm curious to see if Yurcich's influence can cause us to be less reliant on specific positions/players and better at attacking each defense's weaknesses from week to week.

It will be interesting.  At least from the analysis in Boyd's article, Yurcich really seems to favor outside receivers more, but still rely heavily on the slot.  I'm curious to see how things shake out as well.  

3 hours ago, bejezuz said:

It will be interesting.  At least from the analysis in Boyd's article, Yurcich really seems to favor outside receivers more, but still rely heavily on the slot.  I'm curious to see how things shake out as well.  

Sure hope so. The benefits to spreading the ball around more are many:

- Keeps opposing defenses off-balance, and less able to commit additional personal to stopping a single threat

- Less reliance on a single position and contributor

- Happier WR corps when everyone is getting touches, and greater continuity of play for those guys. Hard to get into a rhythm if you only get targeted once in a blue moon.

- Easier sell to recruits

I'm also looking forward to better development of the WRs. Year after year you see other Big12 teams with great WR play without missing a beat and yet it seems like our guys have to become seniors before they produce at a high level. Sam still has room for improvement seeing the field and delivering the ball though. Maybe a new coach will help him as well.