Fire Mike Yurcich

RGBIII

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody catch the end of this where Yurcich was asked about Eagles??

Seems like it was implied that Eagles has struggled some in practices.  Hope Brennan can somehow find peace, and bust out some great games this fall...

Also found this OLD ARTICLE FROM JUNE... 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Brennan-Eagles-understand-where-hes-been-147938375/

To understand Brennan Eagles, understand where he's been

By FUCK CHIP BROWN       Jun 7, 8:33 AM

AUSTIN, Texas - A white Texas alum and football season ticket holder asked me yesterday, “You think Brennan Eagles will come around?”  And I found myself saying, “Maybe … if more people think of him as a black man first and a football player second.”

Eagles, a  junior-to-be who is Texas’ top returning receiver, posted on his social media Wednesday night:   “ … I’m not going to play another snap knowing what's going on in our society due to color and the system being broken... I just can't …”

To understand where Eagles is coming from, it’s probably important to remember where Eagles has been.   From the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the death of Trayvon Martin in 2013 to watching George Floyd choked to death under the knee of a white Minneapolis police officer for nearly nine minutes on video, Eagles has grown up with the Black Lives Matter timeline.  Eagles has watched Colin Kaepernick go from a quarterback who reached the Super Bowl with the San Francisco 49ers to being banished from the league after taking a knee during the national anthem to draw attention to police brutality against the black community.

For most of his childhood, including most of his teenage years, Eagles grew up with a black president in the White House. And then listened to President Trump say he wished NFL owners would tell Kaepernick and anthem protestors to, "Get that son of a bitch off the field" because they're disrespecting the American flag.  If you want to prove to my black brothers and sisters you completely fail to understand Kaepernick's actions, make it about the flag.  Eagles has watched LeBron James, a transcendent black athlete and NBA megastar, speak up against social injustice.

Eagles is also aware of how important football is to paying the bills of college athletics. He's also aware the majority of student-athletes playing college football are black.  "Okay, so for all my brothers out there that are student-athletes, do you really think athletics should be a main focus right now during this time that we live in?" Eagles wrote on his social media.  "At the end of the day if that's the main focus, I find you blind to the fact your platform can change this.  Thousands of people come to watch for entertainment. Revenue is built from that. Money is generated from us."

Eagles went on to say, "I'll be dam(n)ed if you think I'll play another snap with the platform I have that effects the majority of people that contribute to the sport who don't actually play. Know your value is all I'm saying."

Texas teammate Caden Sterns asked what if it was your child or your brother or your sister who was restrained, face-down with Chauvin’s knee on their neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds - the final two minutes and 53 seconds after your child or loved one had become unresponsive?

Wouldn’t you be angry enough or motivated enough to at least pick up the phone or send an email to city leaders, the police chief or the local police union leader to make sure action is being taken so the death of your loved one and other similar deaths across the country don’t continue to happen?

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:
Anybody catch the part where Yurcich was asked about Eagles??

Seems like it was implied that Eagles has struggled some in practices.  Hope Brennan can somehow find peace, and bust out some great games this fall...

Here's transcript of Yurcich's answer to Eagles question mentioned above...

Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich, who is super intense about the details, this week was asked about Eagles.

“His confidence level is growing,” Yurcich said. “We’ve got to get Brennan playing as fast as he possibly can. However fast he is - if he’s a four-four guy in the 40 - we’ve got to make sure he’s running a four-four when we snap the ball. When he’s processing everything, we need to make sure he’s reacting and not hesitant. When he lines up, he needs to know how to adjust based on coverage. That comes with repetition after repetition after repetition. That’s the name of the game.”

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions from playing against air, but I can damn sure draw a conclusion that these guys seemed to be much more on the same page than almost any Texas team I can recall in quite some time, and that "tempo" actually happened on the field.

Maybe that's a by-product of limited full-contact practice, so they worked on theory and scheme more than physical execution, but whatever, those guys got back and up to the line of scrimmage lightning quick when they wanted to.  I remember our previous attempts at "tempo" offense and more often than not the reaction was "huh?".

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions from playing against air, but I can damn sure draw a conclusion that these guys seemed to be much more on the same page than almost any Texas team I can recall in quite some time, and that "tempo" actually happened on the field.

Maybe that's a by-product of limited full-contact practice, so they worked on theory and scheme more than physical execution, but whatever, those guys got back and up to the line of scrimmage lightning quick when they wanted to.  I remember our previous attempts at "tempo" offense and more often than not the reaction was "huh?".

Yep.   A Tim Beck led offense would have taken the foot off the gas at 38.   Then Orlando’s defense would have allowed UTEP or any other opponent to score a TD or two which means instead of a Beck pressing  back on the gas, we would continue to play conservative with a mix of first and second teamers instead of trying to get the rest of the bench in there.     What was done right last night allowed everyone who was wearing a  uniform to get some playing time for maybe the only time this year unless Tech and KU are as bad as their results from last night look.  

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.   A Tim Beck led offense would have taken the foot off the gas at 38.   Then Orlando’s defense would have allowed UTEP or any other opponent to score a TD or two which means instead of a Beck pressing  back on the gas, we would continue to play conservative with a mix of first and second teamers instead of trying to get the rest of the bench in there.     What was done right last night allowed everyone who was wearing a  uniform to get some playing time for maybe the only time this year unless Tech and KU are as bad as their results from last night look.  

A Tim Beck offense would have struggled to get to 38.

On 7/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think we ever got a clear answer on this, but Herman never came out and said he took over play calling like he did in 2018. 

Based on some of Herman’s quotes and the plays we called, my theory is Herman turned the reigns back over to Beck for the most part after 2018, because he’s always been clear he wants the OC to run the offense and he felt comfortable enough to do so after we won the Sugar Bowl. The maddening inconsistency and lack of creativity we displayed in 2019 is exactly what Beck did in 2017 and when he was OC at tOSU. 

Not sure which press conference it was, but Herman said pretty clearly a few weeks ago that calling plays was distracting him from head coaching and he was glad to have Yurcich calling the plays.  Wish I could remember where I heard it, but it seemed pretty clear he was the play caller and that distraction had ripple effects.  

20 hours ago, jinx said:

Pretty sure that the stat they showed said Sam had 6 total 50+ yard plays in his entire career.  First play of the Yurcich era is a 78 yard TD. 

Is that good?   It seems good.  

I remember a couple of years ago we didn't have a single play over 30 yards all year or something ridiculously shit like that. Tom was right when he said that it was cathartic after the game. Shed the old stink from the previous suck, and full fuckin tilt forward, kill everybody.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/13/2020 at 6:40 PM, Neonmoon said:

We all thought Manny Diaz and Todd Orlando were godsends their first season. Which just shows you we are all idiots. 

^ This. Once every Big 12 coach has several games worth of tape on this offense and we're still humming like we were on Saturday, I'll be ready to start the hype train. Not before.

36 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

^ This. Once every Big 12 coach has several games worth of tape on this offense and we're still humming like we were on Saturday, I'll be ready to start the hype train. Not before.           

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

Not sure which press conference it was, but Herman said pretty clearly a few weeks ago that calling plays was distracting him from head coaching and he was glad to have Yurcich calling the plays.  Wish I could remember where I heard it, but it seemed pretty clear he was the play caller and that distraction had ripple effects.  

For $5 million + a year, he should be able to be able to do both.

52 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

He’s coached a lot in this league already. There’s plenty of tape at this level and at Ohio St. Have we ever made this level of hire on offense? 

2 hours ago, touchthemonolith said:

This is a really good point, but what kind of sample size do we need? I think we can all agree a few games isn’t nearly enough. I’d say he needs to coach in this conference for at least 4-5 years and then let’s see if he’s still running a top 5 offense in the country.  I just will not be sold on the guy until that happens and not a single game before. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a really good point, but what kind of sample size do we need? I think we can all agree a few games isn’t nearly enough. I’d say he needs to coach in this conference for at least 4-5 years and then let’s see if he’s still running a top 5 offense in the country.  I just will not be sold on the guy until that happens and not a single game before. 

Do you think there's absolutely no reason to be skeptical whether Yurcich running Gundy's offense = Yurcich running Herman's offense? I tend to think there is. 

1 minute ago, touchthemonolith said:

Do you think there's absolutely no reason to be skeptical whether Yurcich running Gundy's offense = Yurcich running Herman's offense? I tend to think there is. 

That wasn’t Herman’s offense. Yurcich is running Yurcich’s offense, which is the same thing he did at OSU when he called plays for 5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The important difference to me was the score while the lights are on mentality.  That wasn’t Herman or Mack at all.  That was straight Spurrier and I love that mentality, especially in this league.  Spurrier subbed in the backups and kept throwing TD passes.  Bob learned it from him and passed it to Lincoln.  If we decide to play that style of offense  but actually play defense at some respectable level  it will be fun to watch.  Especially with Sam at the controls.  

I am in the show me camp too, but that was a damn good opening show, even knowing UTEP was trash.  

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That wasn’t Herman’s offense. Yurcich is running Yurcich’s offense, which is the same thing he did at OSU when he called plays for 5 years. 

Then I'm probably misinformed. I was under the impression that he'd kinda been brought in to put his 'spin' on Tom Herman's offense while taking over playcalling duties for the offense rather than installing an offense that was all his own. I was also under the impression that Mike Gundy has a significant voice in OSU's offense. But I could be dead wrong.