Fire Mike Yurcich

RGBIII

5 hours ago, PilotsError said:

If you even get this virus you have 99.7 percent of not dying if you're under 70. I'd you're over 70 it's 95 percent.

Fuck anyone who is still virtue signaling concern over this virus.

I doubt any of the players are worried about dieing.  They don't want to sit out for 2 games because they get a positive.  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, victory88 said:

I mean, I’m all for taking every measure for player and community safety.... but with all the body contact during the game, I don’t think preventing sportsmanship will decrease the risk.

Yea, that's true, but still the more people you come in contract with the more chances you take.  Sure Sam was probably sucking in tons of tech DLine breath, which is maybe 10 guys total.  But if he's shaking hands in a crowd, all the sudden he's huffing tech walk on receiver breath too.  Just saying they are taking so many precautions(3 tests a week) not shaking hands with the other team would be one of the easiest precautions since it's literal doing nothing extra.  

21 minutes ago, jinx said:

If Yurcich was in Lubbock calling the plays then this is going to be a long year. The three and out when we were up 17-7 was awful, and the run for a loss of 3 on 2nd and 20 was absolutely pathetic.  That game plan sucked all the way around and looked nothing like the UTEP game to my untrained eyes.  

Would be interesting to know what Yurcich's game plan was for Tech.  I'm sure Texas wanted to run the ball better vs Tech.  Injuries to Jake Smith, JWhitt, and the limited availability of Tarik Black sure seemed to mess up the offense's flow against Tech...

13 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I've seen a bunch of vague mention about yurcich not calling the game. Is there anything substantiated to that, or just throwing shit at the wall since we looked lackluster?

I wasn't thrilled with our offense, we definitely looked out of sync, but we scored enough to win that game. The defense is where the flashing red lights went off yesterday. The offense we saw yesterday is good enough to win most games this season, and we're still down two of our best playmakers.

Offensive line is still a concern, though.

Defense became a concern once the offense and STs shit the bed for almost the entire 2nd half. Less than 150 yards at HT, and nearly 3 TOs, both TOs covered up for ST mistakes, and each had a lengthy return that gave Texas short fields.

Even in the 3Q, the defense forced a 3 and out to start the quarter. Jamison muffed punt returned for a TD. Offense comes out and lays an egg. Defense forces another 3 and out, and Owens blocks the punt for a TD. Tech gets a little momentum, but the defense forces a FGA from 46 which the dude misses. Offense does nothing again, but by now Tech has figured things out offensively. If Texas is able to do anything on offense to start the 3Q, it's likely the defense doesn't crater. You can't go 27 minutes in this conference picking up 50 total yards on offense and expect your defense to pitch a shutout.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Would be interesting to know what Yurcich's game plan was for Tech.  I'm sure Texas wanted to run the ball better vs Tech.  Injuries to Jake Smith, JWhitt, and the limited availability of Tarik Black sure seemed to mess up the offense's flow against Tech...

The fact we seemed to need to line up and bang our head against a wall with the running game for the first half sure looked like the stubborn Herman offense.  And every time we went up 10 it looked like Turtle Tom.  

I can’t find the exact numbers, but I think first half breakdowns were 15 runs and 32 passes against UTEP and 27 runs and 17 passes against Tech.  21 runs by RBs for 66 yards.  Same shit as last year.

Edited by jinx
Stupid iPad

59 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

week 2 of a new OC and we’re doing the same fucking thing where we question who is actually calling the plays. I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry.

I’m just pissed.  I’m not sure where that is in the grief stages but I hope it is near the end.  

On 9/26/2020 at 9:03 PM, USNALonghorn said:

I mean, we average 61 points per game. Hard to believe that stat after today’s clusterfuck.

Well,

Jamison nearly popped a return for a TD, setting up Texas at the 42. Ended up getting a FG. After this return, Tech stopped kicking the ball deep. Which set up Texas with some really good field position later in the game.

Owens block a punt for a TD.

Brown returned an INT for 22 yards, setting up Texas at the 49, drove 51 yards for the TD.

Adimora returned an INT for 71 yards, setting up Texas at the Tech 19, resulted in a TD.

Tech pooched kicked it to the 41, resulted in a TD.

Texas covered an onside kick at the Tech 42, resulted in a TD.

OT drive started at the Tech 25, resulted in a TD.

Texas offense had 2 drives yesterday where the defense or ST's didn't set them up with positive field position.

10 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

In all honesty I'm a little surprised the players aren't wearing any mask on the sidelines during games.  They showed Sam and the team shaking hands with the tech players after the game.  If I'm b12 I probably put a pause in sportsmanship this season and have teams immediately exit the field .  

Honestly not trying to CR this or anything,  but if they get tested 3 or 4 times a week,  and can't play if their Friday test comes back positive,  is there really much concern?   I would think being between the hashes is about the safest place in the world you could be. 

Same reason I can't understand why nfl coaches have to wear masks. If there is anyone that doesn't have covid it is anyone on the field at an nfl or P5 football game. 

Or maybe not. Fuck if I know. Not a doctor. 

But yeah... play calling sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That just didn't look anything like a Yurcich offense. Wtf?

Will be interesting to see more of the analytics regarding the Texas offense against Tech.  What was Tech trying to take away from the Texas offense, and how did Tech have success defending the Horns??  What were the biggest problems for the Longhorn offense in Lubbock??  

Obviously penalties, struggles on the O-line,  dropped passes, and an inability to create separation by WRs are all gonna be areas that should be worked on in practice this week.  I would love to see Texas run the ball more when it's unexpected by running an occasional draw play on 3rd and 7yds like Lincoln Riley does.  Texas has to threaten defenses more vertically to create larger holes in the secondary underneath.  And most importantly, Herb Hand has to find a way to open more holes for this running game -- there is NO EXCUSE for not being able to run the ball better than the Longhorns have in the first two games!!

There's half of $9.95's worth of commentary... Send it in to @immamac 

😁

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Will be interesting to see more of the analytics regarding the Texas offense against Tech.  What was Tech trying to take away from the Texas offense, and how did Tech have success defending the Horns??  What were the biggest problems for the Longhorn offense in Lubbock??  

Obviously penalties, struggles on the O-line,  dropped passes, and an inability to create separation by WRs are all gonna be areas that should be worked on in practice this week.  I would love to see Texas run the ball more when it's unexpected by running an occasional draw play on 3rd and 7yds like Lincoln Riley does.  Texas has to threaten defenses more vertically to create larger holes in the secondary underneath.  And most importantly, Herb Hand has to find a way to open more holes for this running game -- there is NO EXCUSE for not being able to run the ball better than the Longhorns have in the first two games!!

There's half of $9.95's worth of commentary... Send it in to @immamac 

😁

It's crazy at how easy it was for their 3 man front to just abuse our line.  Do we just have a bunch of pussies or what? Is Herb Hand worthless? I don't get it. It's like we can't make a 3 man front work, but God damn if anyone else can against our line. I thought we would have at least a serviceable line this year with Ker and Cosmi, but Okafor is completely useless in all phases. 

As for the dropped passes it happens, but damn it was like no one could create separation on our end, but their WR's abused our DB's like they were in a pee wee league. Our LB's are junk, and we were tripping on our dicks. I'm actually worried about facing even the shittiest teams in conference. 

Looks like another year where we win a couple more than we lose.  I guess that is better than the Strong years.  Man, I can't even express how sick of this shit I am.

I really feel for Sam, he plays his ass off.  Not sure I can name another player (or coach) that does though.  RoJo typically would be on that list, but this wasn't a good game for him.  Our OL can't block air though, sooo...

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Rewatched the game.  Here's what I took from it:

--The right side of our offensive line is a sieve.  Christian Jones didn't block the right guy on numerous occasions, allowing a man to come through untouched.  Okafor still doesn't know how to handle a stunt, and he holds half of the time when he blocks the correct man.

--You're not going to want to hear it, but Cosmi wasn't some stalwart, either.  He got driven back on numerous occasions by significantly smaller guys.  The offensive line is what's killing this offense.  It's hard to start a drive on 1st and 20 because of holding on the first play of the series.  BUT, it also didn't help when...

--Sam was horribly inaccurate on many important throws.  This is two weeks in a row someone has gotten hurt (Whittington, Black) because of throwing behind or below them.  Black wasn't hurt badly, but he still had to come out of the game.  Consider the low throw on the double pass, throwing behind Moore numerous times (even the touchdown that Moore caught at the end), throwing behind Brewer.  All day long he made either bad passes or bad decisions.  Thankful he brought us back for the win, but he had a pretty bad game up until that point.  

--Speaking of Whittington, we really miss him and Jake Smith.  Kai Money is doing what he can, but there was at least one play where if Jake Smith catches that ball, he likely takes it to the house.  Money got about 12 yards out of it.  We really need he or Whittington in the game.

--It's really hurting us that Eagles hasn't become what we had hoped, because we don't have a receiver of that magnitude that teams have to respect.  Moore is doing well and I like his game, but we're really missing a guy like Eagles who has the ability AND the mentality for the position.  

--Lastly, I'm convinced that Sam could have run for 150 if he just pulls it down and takes off on numerous third downs where they abandon the middle of the field.  Tech blitzed a ton, but Sam chose to force it into tight man coverage.  There was so much room for him to run.  He had a really bad game.  

--It's already hard playing with this OL.  If Sam doesn't improve his play quickly, we'll be in shootouts the whole year.  He's had a good career here, and this may be unpopular,  but I don't think he has the ability to take us where we want to go.  He's almost out of time, as it is.  He's simply not accurate enough.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Card can do (if he starts) next year.  I'm tired of seeing long balls underthrown and crossing patterns thrown inaccurately.  Hit a man in stride, damnit.  

Very well said, and I agree with you. It was hard to read seeing Cosmi get pushed back by weaker, smaller defenders. That should never happen to a projected top 20 pick. Let's hope he rebounds and this was just a bad game. 

Concur about Sam. Love the dude and his energy, but like you said I don't think he's taking us where we should/want to go. He's inaccurate as hell. Eagles seems to be good for a td a game, but he's so unpolished. All the skills are there and it's like he still thinks he's in hs and can just dominate based on being "better". We're sorely lacking both Smith and Whittington. Whittington I'm afraid might be the on the Kirk Johnson route, which really sucks. Dude just can't seem to stay healthy. 

I must have missed Black during the game. I remember wondering if he was hurt or something because he just wasn't there or whatever. We desperately need Smith back against TCU. Yeah, TCU isn't great, but we're their SB and Herman tends to screw those up. We just saw it against tech and we got lucky. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
Words and shit

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Rewatched the game.  Here's what I took from it:

--The right side of our offensive line is a sieve.  Christian Jones didn't block the right guy on numerous occasions, allowing a man to come through untouched.  Okafor still doesn't know how to handle a stunt, and he holds half of the time when he blocks the correct man.

--You're not going to want to hear it, but Cosmi wasn't some stalwart, either.  He got driven back on numerous occasions by significantly smaller guys.  The offensive line is what's killing this offense.  It's hard to start a drive on 1st and 20 because of holding on the first play of the series.  BUT, it also didn't help when...

--Sam was horribly inaccurate on many important throws.  This is two weeks in a row someone has gotten hurt (Whittington, Black) because of throwing behind or below them.  Black wasn't hurt badly, but he still had to come out of the game.  Consider the low throw on the double pass, throwing behind Moore numerous times (even the touchdown that Moore caught at the end), throwing behind Brewer.  All day long he made either bad passes or bad decisions.  Thankful he brought us back for the win, but he had a pretty bad game up until that point.  

--Speaking of Whittington, we really miss him and Jake Smith.  Kai Money is doing what he can, but there was at least one play where if Jake Smith catches that ball, he likely takes it to the house.  Money got about 12 yards out of it.  We really need he or Whittington in the game.

--It's really hurting us that Eagles hasn't become what we had hoped, because we don't have a receiver of that magnitude that teams have to respect.  Moore is doing well and I like his game, but we're really missing a guy like Eagles who has the ability AND the mentality for the position.  

--Lastly, I'm convinced that Sam could have run for 150 if he just pulls it down and takes off on numerous third downs where they abandon the middle of the field.  Tech blitzed a ton, but Sam chose to force it into tight man coverage.  There was so much room for him to run.  He had a really bad game.  

--It's already hard playing with this OL.  If Sam doesn't improve his play quickly, we'll be in shootouts the whole year.  He's had a good career here, and this may be unpopular,  but I don't think he has the ability to take us where we want to go.  He's almost out of time, as it is.  He's simply not accurate enough.  I'm looking forward to seeing what Card can do (if he starts) next year.  I'm tired of seeing long balls underthrown and crossing patterns thrown inaccurately.  Hit a man in stride, damnit.  

huh? this is exactly what has prevented him from being more than a wet dream as a wr. Thank goodness his facemask stopped the 2 point pass from going through his hands.

Just now, Goodman said:

huh? this is exactly what has prevented him from being more than a wet dream as a wr. Thank goodness his facemask stopped the 2 point pass from going through his hands.

That was his point. We need a guy with Eagles’ skill set who also has the mentality to succeed at the position. 

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

I was trying to say we're missing a guy who has both, and Eagles has the ability without the mentality.  Poor wording.  

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I must have missed Black during the game. I remember wondering if he was hurt or something because he just wasn't there or whatever. We desperately need Smith back against TCU. Yeah, TCU isn't great, but we're their SB and Herman tends to screw those up. We just saw it against tech and we got lucky. 

Just heard on HornFM that Tarik Black had some non-football related issues that caused him to not start (in the doghouse).

So Mitchell, BJ, and Black have all done stupid stuff in the last few weeks... DAMN

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

All the people losing their minds over who's calling plays, have you factored in that Kai money was playing significant snaps?  That the beginning and end of the game when Josh Moore was healthy was the part of the game where we opened things up?

Tarik Black barely played due to injury.  Moore missed most of the middle of the game.  Whittington was out.  Smith was out. Schooler doesn't seem to know much of the playbook yet.  Eagles appeared unreliable in week 1.

I wasn't happy with the calls either but with the running backs we have and the receivers we didn't have, I at least understand the thought behind limiting things.  

Scoring 56 in regulation under those circumstances certainly isn't enough for me to go ape shit and claim things are the same as always.

Edited by fellside
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Just heard on HornFM that Tarik Black had some non-football related issues that caused him to not start (in the doghouse).

So Mitchell, BJ, and Black have all done stupid stuff in the last few weeks... DAMN

Damn. What the hell are these kids thinking, especially Black? He's already graduated and should be leading by example. Mitchell isn't a surprise in the least. I wish he would shit or get off the pot. He's not as talented as he seems to think he is. Really sucks about Black. Hope he gets his head right. I saw BJ play on Saturday, so I'm hoping Black does, too. He's a huge weapon. Surely he didn't do anything as dumb as walking out in the middle of a game, so I expect him to play. We all like Kai Money, but he needs to hit the bench. We desperately need Smith, Black, and Washington to get going. I wish I could say the same about Sam and his inaccuracy, but at this point it is what it is. Hopefully by this weekend Washington will fill in that missing gap of dropping terribly thrown balls. 

Just now, fellside said:

All the people losing their minds over who's calling plays, have you factored in that Kai money was playing significant snaps?  That the beginning and end of the game when Josh Moore was healthy was the part of the game where we opened things up?

Tarik Black barely played due to injury.  Moore missed most of the middle of the game.  Whittington was out.  Smith was out. Schooler doesn't seem to know much of the playbook yet.  Eagles appeared unreliable in week 1.

I wasn't happy with the calls either but with the running backs we have and the receivers we didn't have, I at least understand the thought behind limiting things.  

Agreed. Give Schooler some time and I think he'll turn out to be a damn good player by ou. He's shown flashes. I didn't know Black was hurt. Moore seems to be good to go. He's already got 4 TD's in 2 games, and that bodes well. Having Smith back will do wonders. Ingram is a nice pass catcher, too. Rojo is a bruiser, Ingram can cut and catch, and I hope Bijan is OK enough to get some snaps, but I wonder if they'll hold him out for a week. 

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Damn. What the hell are these kids thinking, especially Black? He's already graduated and should be leading by example. Mitchell isn't a surprise in the least. I wish he would shit or get off the pot. He's not as talented as he seems to think he is. Really sucks about Black. Hope he gets his head right. I saw BJ play on Saturday, so I'm hoping Black does, too. He's a huge weapon. Surely he didn't do anything as dumb as walking out in the middle of a game, so I expect him to play. We all like Kai Money, but he needs to hit the bench. We desperately need Smith, Black, and Washington to get going. I wish I could say the same about Sam and his inaccuracy, but at this point it is what it is. Hopefully by this weekend Washington will fill in that missing gap of dropping terribly thrown balls. 

Black's misstep was prior to the Tech game and Black still played....

"Tarik Black had some non-football related issues that caused him to not start (in the doghouse)."

Consider the drive that really, in my opinion, sent things spiraling out of control.  We're up 38-28 with the ball.  If we score, we're up by seventeen and the game is getting out of reach.  Our D is gassed because Tech had the ball for about six minutes.  

First down, we commit a false start. 1st and 15.  We quickly get a first down, just in time for Kerstetter to hold, and now it's 1st and 20.  Next play, we run some shitty pseudo-option where Sam just stands there for a minute and then turns and pitches it to RoJo who loses about two yards.  Second and 17, now comes the horrific double pass to Ehlinger, where he throws it low, totally screwing up the play.  Everybody bitches about the call, but here's the deal.  If he simply hits the guy in the chest and receives a good pass back, he has lots of room to run.  I don't really dislike the call.  Ehlinger just shit the bed again.  So now it's 3rd and 20, and we loft a prayer into Josh Moore in triple coverage when there's not a man within fifteen yards of the line of scrimmage if Sam takes off.  

Sam screwed us numerous times on that drive after the offensive line screwed us numerous times, as well.  For me, this was the turning point.  It looks like someone else is calling plays because we start getting bottled up, but it's really just poor execution.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Black's misstep was prior to the Tech game and Black still played....

"Tarik Black had some non-football related issues that caused him to not start (in the doghouse)."

Right, exactly. Why is this dude in the dog house? He should know better. He should be leading by example. 

41 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

--Sam was horribly inaccurate on many important throws.  This is two weeks in a row someone has gotten hurt (Whittington, Black) because of throwing behind or below them.  Black wasn't hurt badly, but he still had to come out of the game.

Pretty sure that was on Black actually. Sam was throwing Black into the open zone and instead of sitting down in the open area Black ran himself into coverage.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm shocked to read that "Yurcich wasn't there, Tom was calling the plays" was as much fan fiction as previous years' claims that we oscillated between Beck calling the plays if and only if we sucked and Tom calling the plays if and only if we played well.

Edited by WBT

I think Sam's struggles on Saturday are primarily due to

1. The OL severely underperformed

2. Moore appears to be the only dependable WR who can make big plays right now. Eagles has all the talent but hasn't put it together mentally, we need him to step up in the worst way. We need Smith and JWhitt to get back and stay healthy. Black is not consistent, and I guess he's in the doghouse now. Schooler looks like he will be a solid contributor once he's familiar with the offense. I really want to see Wiley get those targets that are going to Brewer right now.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Lastly, I'm convinced that Sam could have run for 150 if he just pulls it down and takes off on numerous third downs where they abandon the middle of the field.  Tech blitzed a ton, but Sam chose to force it into tight man coverage.  There was so much room for him to run.  He had a really bad game.  

This is what drove me crazy and had me yelling at the TV.  I get he wants to be taken seriously as a passer, but he also needs to understand that "taking what the defense gives you" means more than passing lanes and underneath routes.  Force them to respect your legs and keep them off balance.  They executed to shut down the running game on obvious running downs and then sat back in coverage on the others.  Way too easy, especially with key players sidelined.  

Edited by BabaYaga

Is Sam a “great” QB? Maybe not entirely, surely won’t be tearing up the NFL ever. 

Is he good enough to take us to an undefeated season? Almost all of our losses in 2017 were largely his fault, especially when he kept choking in crunch time. He’s gone from that to being the main reason we win now. I think he’s more than good enough to run the table with.

I agree that Sam left a lot of easy rush yards on the table. However, that is really far down the list of problems, mostly dominated by defense and special teams. As far as offense is concerned, Sam wasn't in his best form, even when accounting for the offensive line taking most of the game off. I wonder if the offensive staff restricts Sam from rushing in lower stakes games. 

It seems to me that Tom is being over protective of Sam after the 2018 Baylor and Iowa State games and is purposefully saving him for RRR/Bowl games.

13 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

I wish I could go back to 2015 and discuss how we're two games in, undefeated, our QB has thrown for almost 700 yards, 10 TDs, 1 INT, 71.2%, but we still can't stop crying about our QB.

Yeah it's easy to take this approach after what we've seen for the past decade.

You know what else we haven't seen for the past decade, including during Sam's four years here?   A championship.

We've seen greatness in Young and McCoy.  Sam falling short of that doesn't make him a bad quarterback, but then again, it's championships we're after here, are we not?  

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Is Sam a “great” QB? Maybe not entirely, surely won’t be tearing up the NFL ever. 

Is he good enough to take us to an undefeated season? Almost all of our losses in 2017 were largely his fault, especially when he kept choking in crunch time. He’s gone from that to being the main reason we win now. I think he’s more than good enough to run the table with.

^ This. If we had the power to trade Sam for any other QB in the conference, is there anyone we'd take on that offer? Would anyone here trade Sam for Jalon Daniels? Max Duggan? Skyler Thompson? Even Spencer Sanders, Brock Purdy, or Spencer Rattler? That'd be a hard pass for me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah it's easy to take this approach after what we've seen for the past decade.

You know what else we haven't seen for the past decade, including during Sam's four years here?   A championship.

We've seen greatness in Young and McCoy.  Sam falling short of that doesn't make him a bad quarterback, but then again, it's championships we're after here, are we not?  

If you're going to lay the lack of a championship at Sam's feet, and not Todd Orlando's or Tom Herman's, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

If you're going to lay the lack of a championship at Sam's feet, and not Todd Orlando's or Tom Herman's, then I don't know what to tell you.

I completely agree that Orlando and Herman have been obstacles in winning championships, and considerably more than Sam's shortcomings have been.

But I also don't think Sam has been consistently great enough to win a championship.  The first two games of 2020 haven't shown me anything to convince me otherwise.  

Edited by Ghost of Shag

8 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Baylor finished 3rd in the conference the year RG3 won the Heisman. I'm okay concluding that Sam has not held us back from winning a championship. 

Fair enough.  If we have Saban as a coach, if we have Dabo as a coach, if we have (insert tOSU coach here), Sam may very well be good enough to win us a championship.  

All I'm really trying to say is that Sam is going to need to be better if we're going to win one this year.