Fire Mike Yurcich

RGBIII

First you get the money (recruits who are correctly evaluated), then you get the power (develop said recruits and scheme them adequately), then you get the woman (having enough of a talent advantage over most opponents that your margin for error is large enough to sleepwalk to a bunch of wins)

• Like 2

So this is the recruiting thread now?  I am so confused.  But this does seem like the perfect time to ask for the favor I have wanted to ask for a week or so. 

Somewhere on here, I saw a graphic that showed top 25 recruiting classes over the last decade (we had 10) beside 10 win seasons and conference championships (or something like that).  I have no idea where I saw it, but I think it reflect Greenspoints general premise.  OU, Baylor, TCU and OSU have shown a consistent ability to beat Texas by actually coaching their lesser ranked players.  Novel concept I know.

Can anyone repost that?

1 minute ago, jinx said:

So this is the recruiting thread now?  I am so confused.  But this does seem like the perfect time to ask for the favor I have wanted to ask for a week or so. 

Somewhere on here, I saw a graphic that showed top 25 recruiting classes over the last decade (we had 10) beside 10 win seasons and conference championships (or something like that).  I have no idea where I saw it, but I think it reflect Greenspoints general premise.  OU, Baylor, TCU and OSU have shown a consistent ability to beat Texas by actually coaching their lesser ranked players.  Novel concept I know.

Can anyone repost that?

Texas has squandered (and mis-evaluated) more talent than anyone in college football over the least ten years - no graph needed.

20 minutes ago, jinx said:

Can anyone repost that?

Top 25 recruiting classes are meaningless when talking about UT’s goals. If you want to win titles, or even consistently compete for the playoffs, you need to be consistently recruiting in the top 10 with more of your classes coming in the top 5 than top 10. Ohio State was loaded this year because they signed one of the bets classes ever in 2017 (with a lot of Texas studs thanks to Charlie flaming out). 

OU always flames out in the playoffs because they have a great offensive scheme, but lack the overall team talent to compete with programs like Bama, Clemson, or LSU. 

• Like 1

That's what USC thought before they hauled in a Mountain West class this year. You need some salesmen. Ideally they'll be good at coaching, too.

So, we don’t need coffee then? I was told coffee is for closers.

Somewhere in the middle is the truth, but Surly gonna Surly.

Bunch of Sith Lords on this site, and we like it like that.

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Top 25 recruiting classes are meaningless when talking about UT’s goals. If you want to win titles, or even consistently compete for the playoffs, you need to be consistently recruiting in the top 10 with more of your classes coming in the top 5 than top 10. Ohio State was loaded this year because they signed one of the bets classes ever in 2017 (with a lot of Texas studs thanks to Charlie flaming out). 

OU always flames out in the playoffs because they have a great offensive scheme, but lack the overall team talent to compete with programs like Bama, Clemson, or LSU. 

Funny that right after they hired Grinch, he told everyone there wasn't a single player on the defense that could play in the NFL. Then a couple of games into the season everyone was talking about them having one of the best defenses in college football. Looking back at class rankings since 2010, it's surprising to see them with an average class outside the top 10. You'd think they would be close to top 5 average. 

Edited by texaslong

20 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Funny that right after they hired Grinch, he told everyone there wasn't a single player on the defense that could play in the NFL. Then a couple of games into the season everyone was talking about them having one of the best defenses in college football. Looking back at class rankings since 2010, it's surprising to see them with an average class outside the top 10. You'd think they would be close to top 5 average. 

Citations, please.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right now our goal seems to be a winning season.  Winning is really, really hard. 

I would give anything to have OUs problem of 5 straight conference titles and playoff losing streak.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

'Hey Mike, this is Tom. Hey realllly sorry about trying to pick a fight with you during that game. That was my bad! Anywho, had a favor to ask..." 

Honestly, I got the impression that Gundy would probably have more respect for Herman after that exchange, not less. Assuming he thought about him at all, of course.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Honestly, I got the impression that Gundy would probably have more respect for Herman after that exchange, not less. Assuming he thought about him at all, of course.

I mean, it seemed they cleared everything up right there on the field post-game, and also I think they have some type of relationship though they've never coached with one another. 

6 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

No, the problem in that period was evaluation. Do we need to go over class rankings from 2009 until Strong arrived?

2009 - #6

2010 - #2

2011 - #4

2012 - #2

2013 - #17 (only 15 recruits, #7 in average recruit rating) 

So not sure how your time period refutes his point about a nearly guaranteed top 15 class. When Brown was lazy as shit and not evaluating we still pulled in 4 straight top 6 classes. 

This -- and recruiting zero QBs on either side of Garrett Gilbert was an absolute program-killer. (Same with the OL.) Meanwhile there were like 10 or so NFL starting QBs from Texas -- none were Longhorns.

Can anyone repost that?

How many of those teams have won a national championship? We should be building for national championships, not conference championships or nice wins over rivals.

57 minutes ago, C-Man said:

This -- and recruiting zero QBs on either side of Garrett Gilbert was an absolute program-killer. (Same with the OL.) Meanwhile there were like 10 or so NFL starting QBs from Texas -- none were Longhorns.

I think GG could have been successful in the right system.  Mack took the wrong lessons from the championship game against Alabama by reorienting the offense around the running game.  Harsin was eventually able to fix the offense but, for whatever reason, the Diaz hire was a failure and prevented the team from returning to the heights of the 00s.  Harsin leaving was pretty much the death knell for Mack at Texas.  

10 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I think GG could have been successful in the right system.  Mack took the wrong lessons from the championship game against Alabama by reorienting the offense around the running game.  Harsin was eventually able to fix the offense but, for whatever reason, the Diaz hire was a failure and prevented the team from returning to the heights of the 00s.  Harsin leaving was pretty much the death knell for Mack at Texas.  

Maybe. But the point I was trying to make is you better take a QB in every single recruiting class and let the competition sort itself out.

41 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

How many of those teams have won a national championship? We should be building for national championships, not conference championships or nice wins over rivals.

We have one National Championship and TWO conference championships in the last 20 years.  I get that in a dream world we could be Alabama, but we can't even sniff their jock strap. 

We have one season with 10 wins in this decade, and ZERO seasons with less than 4 losses.  I just want a team that can beat Kansas without giving me a heart attack.  We can talk about championships once we can actually play big boy football.  We aren't even close.

I fully understand that recruiting is important, but we can't field a team that can block or tackle, so none of our players are going to the NFL as a result.  You think that might affect recruiting?

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

The recruiting rankings Huck showed were all top 10 and some top 5 classes, and yet all that got us was an average of 7 or 8 wins a year, because the development wasn't there.  And the excuse that the classes were overrated (not directed at you) is bogus.  No way the recruiting services just happen to overrate all of our recruits year after year but somehow get the other top teams rankings right.  Without good coaches and development we aren't winning anything, including ocnference championships.   Shitty coaches will take great talent and make it mediocre.  We have years of proof of that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jinx said:

We have one National Championship and TWO conference championships in the last 20 years.  I get that in a dream world we could be Alabama, but we can't even sniff their jock strap. 

We have one season with 10 wins in this decade, and ZERO seasons with less than 4 losses.  I just want a team that can beat Kansas without giving me a heart attack.  We can talk about championships once we can actually play big boy football.  We aren't even close.

I fully understand that recruiting is important, but we can't field a team that can block or tackle, so none of our players are going to the NFL as a result.  You think that might affect recruiting?

2 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

The recruiting rankings Huck showed were all top 10 and some top 5 classes, and yet all that got us was an average of 7 or 8 wins a year, because the development wasn't there.  And the excuse that the classes were overrated (not directed at you) is bogus.  No way the recruiting services just happen to overrate all of our recruits year after year but somehow get the other top teams rankings right.  Without good coaches and development we aren't winning anything, including ocnference championships.   Shitty coaches will take great talent and make it mediocre.  We have years of proof of that.

Please point to anyone who said they’re ok with shit coaches as long as they can recruit. This is a stupid strawman created by greenspoint. There’s 0 reason why Texas fans should expect anything less than position coaches who are good at both coaching and recruiting. You need both to win a title. 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Please point to anyone who said they’re ok with shit coaches as long as they can recruit. This is a stupid strawman created by greenspoint. There’s 0 reason why Texas fans should expect anything less than position coaches who are good at both coaching and recruiting. You need both to win a title. 

No disagreement that good developers and recruiters don't have to be mutually exclusive.  I would just argue that being good devleopers is a requirement, and being a good recruiter is a bonus.  Not a big fan of having coaches that only have recruiting chops.  All position groups need coaching and development.  The notion that a WR coach just needs to recruit sounds great until your WRs don't know how to run routes or get open like we saw this year.

The comment raised by Greenspoint was that top 10 recruiting didn’t matter. It does matter. If you don’t recruit at a high level you lose. And just because Texas has struggled doesn’t mean a national title isn’t the goal. It is. Every single UT administration person understands that. If you don’t, you don’t understand the Texas program. Your wishy washy goals might be fine for you, but they aren’t for the people that matter.

12 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The comment raised by Greenspoint was that top 10 recruiting didn’t matter. It does matter. If you don’t recruit at a high level you lose. And just because Texas has struggled doesn’t mean a national title isn’t the goal. It is. Every single UT administration person understands that. If you don’t, you don’t understand the Texas program. You’re wishy washy goals might be fine for you, but they aren’t for the people that matter.

I get that, I just find it hilarious that people shit on a conference championship like that is something easy to accomplish.  It sure as hell hasn't been for Texas.  Herman is right in saying that our goal is to win the conference.  We can control that, the rest becomes magic fairy dust and eyeball tests.  Beating OU is key to winning our conference.  So give me both of those things and lets see where we land on the national stage.

We have good recruits.  We have shit coaches.  It has been that way for a decade.  I am sick of watching a team with a Texas logo on their helmet run around like a poorly coached junior high team year after year.  Good coaches will fix that, great recruits make it easier.

I mean, I expect Bijan to be a true difference maker.  But I expected the same out of Jonathan Gray and Malcolm Brown. 

• Like 2

Saw this article or Yurcich.     

"[Mike] Yurcich is a guy whose name has been out there the last three years. Interesting how some of the fans view him but everybody else in the country wants him," Gundy said kind of wide-eyed during a press conference a few days before the Liberty Bowl. "Pretty interesting concept. At some point, Mike is going to move on. I told you guys last year during bowl prep that I wouldn’t be shocked if Mike is a head coach or moves on. He’s had interest from the NFL. There are NFL teams that have called about him as the NFL starts to migrate toward college football on offense. At some point, he’s going to move on. He’s 41 or 42. He’s at a point in his career where that that could happen. We would love to keep him here. We’re not going to be able to pay what other schools will potentially offer him. If he gets a run to be a coordinator at all the schools that are interested in him or maybe move on to the NFL, that’s probably going to be his next move. You just call it like it is. Some of the other coaching jobs you get at levels that are lower pay about a third or fourth of what these guys are making as coordinators. We hope to keep him as long as we can, but at some point he will move on. If he does, we wish him the best. He’s been very loyal and has been great for the program."

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/Article/Offensive-coordinator-Mike-Yurcich-is-leaving-Oklahoma-State-127096910/

I get that, I just find it hilarious that people shit on a conference championship like that is something easy to accomplish.  It sure as hell hasn't been for Texas.  Herman is right in saying that our goal is to win the conference.  We can control that, the rest becomes magic fairy dust and eyeball tests.  Beating OU is key to winning our conference.  So give me both of those things and lets see where we land on the national stage.
We have good recruits.  We have shit coaches.  It has been that way for a decade.  I am sick of watching a team with a Texas logo on their helmet run around like a poorly coached junior high team year after year.  Good coaches will fix that, great recruits make it easier.
I mean, I expect Bijan to be a true difference maker.  But I expected the same out of Jonathan Gray and Malcolm Brown. 

As Burt said, why in the world do you believe the decision is an OR rather than an AND? We are one of the top coaching destinations in the country and pay top dollar. We can get coaches that can coach and recruit. It’s a loser attitude to settle for mediocrity.

22 minutes ago, jinx said:

And these days, based on how much of a shitshow dumpster fire the PAC has become, we win the Big 12, even with two losses, we are liable to be in the CFP.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As Burt said, why in the world do you believe the decision is an OR rather than an AND? We are one of the top coaching destinations in the country and pay top dollar. We can get coaches that can coach and recruit. It’s a loser attitude to settle for mediocrity.

I will use the Surly tried and true and ask you to point to exactly WHERE I said that I wanted good technical coaches and don't give a shit if they can recruit.  Good luck.  I also never found the incriminating post from Greenspoint where he said top ten classes don't matter.  But believe me, I think recruiting matters.  Good coaching definitely matters more.

I will say that I think that Saban doesn't go out looking for guys who recruit and see if they can coach.  He coaches the hell out of his coaches and turns away the recruits he doesn't want.  Give me that system any day of the week.

Loser mentality and mediocrity... shit.

I watched Christmas Vacation one too many times, but to quote Clark Griswold:

Have you looked around here lately?  We're at the threshold of hell!

Baylor, TCU, and even OU have shown that you can win the conference and maybe go to the playoffs with poorly ranked recruits that are properly coached and developed. Our record shows clearly that you can't do any of that with great recruits who are poorly coached and developed. We've pulled top 15 classes consistently and go 7-5. 

I'd take good coaching over good recruiting if it were me, but I like winning. No reason you can't have both, but it's the play on the field that matters most.

Once we start winning ten regular season games every year, we'll have no problem keeping the Kyler Murray/Baron Browning/JK Dobbins types at home even with average recruiting. 

• Like 1

Oklahoma state writer Robert Allen is on with FCB and is getting me super hyped for Yurcich. Says he has a great relationship with coaches and players love him. The negative reports on him about being difficult to work with probably stems from him not being a yes man. Thinks he will make a huge impact with Ehlinger and the offense will be ten times more explosive. Mentioned big plays and hurry up offense running plays nearly every 17 seconds. Recruiting wise he will be great at identifying and recruiting QBs and has helped with recruiting other positions

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Oklahoma state writer Robert Allen is on with FCB and is getting me super hyped for Yurcich. Says he has a great relationship with coaches and players love him. The negative reports on him about being difficult to work with probably stems from him not being a yes man. Thinks he will make a huge impact with Ehlinger and the offense will be ten times more explosive. Mentioned big plays and hurry up offense running plays nearly every 17 seconds. Recruiting wise he will be great at identifying and recruiting QBs and has helped with recruiting other positions

I’ve refused to listen to any FCB podcasts to this point, but I may have to listen to that part. I’be been wanting to hear more informed OSU opinions on Yurcich.

13 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Let's just hope Herman is cool with that.

Starting off at LSU is going to be one helluva trial-by-fire.

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve refused to listen to any FCB podcasts to this point, but I may have to listen to that part. I’be been wanting to hear more informed OSU opinions on Yurcich.

The Robert Allen part is worth listening to. He's covered OSU for 15+ years and seems decent. The rest of the podcast is so bad that if you're in the car it may make you want to drive into a brick wall, so be careful.

• Haha 1