What An Excellent Day For An Exorcism...

Underdog

That it is.  I only read the book due to the naughty parts, story was lost on me a bit.  Folks wouldn't take me to see it when it was released, dad and sis went and I remember her just being mortified over it, her bedroom was downstairs in the basement and she slept on the couch in the LR for a week.  Finally convinced Pops to take me when it was re-released a couple of years later, poor sap sitting behind us probably had to go see it again as he was too busy laughing at me burying my face trying to hide from what was on the screen.  But it's a classic, one of my favorites. 

Saw it opening night at the Granada in Dallas.  It was during a massive thunderstorm which added to the sense of evil being depicted on the screen.  I saw a lady run screaming out of the theatre when Ragan's head turned around while in bed only to return fifteen minutes later wearing a different outfit.  One of the few times I can remember actually having a nightmare after seeing a movie-this one had me up several nights in a row.

Don't know if it's just one of those things where the horror movies that came after it were so much worse but I watched this on HBO or some similar movie channel in the early 90s when I was about 13 or so. Watched it late after midnight after my parents were asleep but I couldn't sleep so went to the living room to watch some TV. Didn't find it scary at all. Found it fairly entertaining though and when it was over went back to bed and fell right asleep no problem. 

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...