Magic mushrooms

Nope

Used to go out to the cow fields by the old lakeside airport on hw6 on rainy weekend mornings looking for shrooms in cow shit, but rarely found anything. We used to think the "magic" ones would have a purple ring where you broke them off at the base if they were the real thing. Definitely don't remember trippin, but we got chased by a lot of cows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Used to go out to the cow fields by the old lakeside airport on hw6 on rainy weekend mornings looking for shrooms in cow shit, but rarely found anything. We used to think the "magic" ones would have a purple ring where you broke them off at the base if they were the real thing. Definitely don't remember trippin, but we got chased by a lot of cows.

I live on a ranch right now and have been tempted to look under the cow patties...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother....

Taught me how to hover above the cow patties in Hana and eat the shrooms right off of them so you wouldn't lose any spores....

Returned home from a business trip and was told by his newlywed wife " I got rid of those stanky old dried up mushrooms in the freezer"....2 pounds, into the trash.

13 hours ago, Nope said:

Any good stories?

And also, easiest way to find some in the DFW area?

This one time, freshman year in Jester, this older kid with a moustache, come to think of it, his name was Nope, too, asked us all about where we could find some shrooms, then half my buddies didn't go to UT anymore.  The end.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hate said:

I used to love shrooms.  I took them once just before arriving at Eeyore's Birthday which was insane.  Between the drum ring, the dude wearing a giant eyeball on his head, and the 30 or so dudes on bikes wearing lingerie I wasn't exactly sure what was going on.  It was a blast though.  I liked them much more than acid because there were some down times in between peaks.  I could always feel a peak coming on and adjust my frame of mind accordingly.  I also liked how they only lasted about 4 to 6 hours instead of 10 to 12. 

I'm with you on shrooms > acid.  Every shroom experience I've had has been really fun, and I usually gained some kind of insight about myself.

Acid just made me feel like a complete fucking melted pile of idiot.  I get stuck on "repeat" on acid and it's totally annoying to everyone around (even myself while I'm doing it).  The last time I did it, I kept spontaneously breaking into "Rich Girl", reminding everyone that "'Holland' is his first name" (Always Sunny reference), rolled around in a grass field, and asking one of my friend's to kick me in the dick.  Just not wired for it or something.

Had a buddy who would go out to the fields between Austin and San Marcos along I-35 (back when those fields existed) and just grab ziploc bags full.  I was never willing to trust his judgment (because he was always high) but AFAIK he never ate anything that killed him. And he made some tea that somehow made it into the trash can punch at a party. That was really a fucked up night. 

http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/k/Psychedelic_mushrooms.htm
South and central East TX. is usually the best. Cattle Egrets spread them all over the place but not consistent in most places. When I was in Denton my buddies would go down around College Station and bring back grocery sacks full. Looks like they still have them around there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had a friend in college that grew them and made quite a bit of coin selling them to all the college students in the area.  I used to know the name of his spore supplier off the top of my head but I forget at the moment.  I'll post it when I'm home.  I think that the spores themselves are legal, it's only when you try to grow them that you move to the naughty side of the line.  I've read a great deal about the PF Tek cultivation method but haven't had the guts to put it into practice since I live in an apartment.

I've never had any that actually grew in cow shit, and I don't think I'd want to.

Edited by TriStone

2 hours ago, TriStone said:

I had a friend in college that grew them and made quite a bit of coin selling them to all the college students in the area.  I used to know the name of his spore supplier off the top of my head but I forget at the moment.  I'll post it when I'm home.  I think that the spores themselves are legal, it's only when you try to grow them that you move to the naughty side of the line.  I've read a great deal about the PF Tek cultivation method but haven't had the guts to put it into practice since I live in an apartment.

I've never had any that actually grew in cow shit, and I don't think I'd want to.

It’s not hard, and the materials are easy to get...not sure about spores anymore, used to be able to get pre-made sterile syringes from Hawks Eye.  Once you’ve successfully gotten your mycelium to fruit you can make your own.  

The challenge is being sterile during the inoculation process or turning prints to syringes.  Decades ago we had a clear plastic storage container converted into a glove box, lots of disinfectant spray and used rubbing alcohol / fire to sterilize the needles.  Use a Ramsay seal or whatever they call it, grind up brown rice in a coffee grinder, mix with vermiculite, pop it in the pressure cooker, etc...you can read the details in the PF Tek.  That was ages ago but we were swimming in them...things may be different now.  

Took about 5g and saw Crouching Tiger in the theater, beautiful experience.  Mix with nitrous to force an intense peak, but I preferred to hit a fat bowl at the right time for a more ‘organic peak’, cover my eyes, put on headphones and get intimate with Crystal Methods Vegas album...Cherry Twist is my jam.  

Used to play Team Fortress Classic all the time, but I was on another level when tripping.  Playing as a medic, would get so caught up trying to play flag thief that each run was like being in my own spy movie.  Each fight as a soldier was a battle to the death.  Good times.  

Couldn’t do it now.  I’d need my wife and kids to be a thousand miles away with no cell service and zero chance or having the come up, trip or next day interrupted...not to mention them finding the stuff or the consequences of getting busted.  

Overall it’s a small, simple operation that mostly stays in a closet until it’s time to give those mycelium cakes some light and humidity to fruit.  No smell, no big equipment or lights, and minimal time being exposed.  I had a hard time finding vermiculite 15 years ago due to some cancer scare but there are a lot more internet stores now...there are other means too but that worked best and was fun to dupe people who thought that ‘gold flecks’ of the stuff meant it was ‘good shit’.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Hate said:

I used to love shrooms.  I took them once just before arriving at Eeyore's Birthday which was insane.  Between the drum ring, the dude wearing a giant eyeball on his head, and the 30 or so dudes on bikes wearing lingerie I wasn't exactly sure what was going on.  It was a blast though.  I liked them much more than acid because there were some down times in between peaks.  I could always feel a peak coming on and adjust my frame of mind accordingly.  I also liked how they only lasted about 4 to 6 hours instead of 10 to 12. 

This man knows from shrooms, and why they're great....

When I lived in the U District in Seattle there was a park we used to go to where they grew wild (or somebody had seeded the place). If you got there early enough you could get a decent harvest. First time I wasn't sure they were the right ones and was pretty nervous. Wound up getting sick, then it hit. Not as strong as acid or mescaline, but more of a mellow hallucinogenic. Maybe I just didn't eat enough.

Ah, the Surly Pranksters thread. I haven't taken shrooms in forever (just haven't come my way) but I drop acid pretty often. Other than coffee and tobacco, shrooms, pot and acid are the only drugs I take, including alcohol. I believe those drugs still have some therapeutic value, and while alcohol also does for some people, I am no longer among that number. 

I've had more intense trips on shrooms than acid, probably mostly due to an overabundance of caution with LSD. I've never taken more than a hit-and-a-half at once, but I have taken as many as three in the course of a day. With shrooms I tend to eat whatever is in the bag, unless I start handing them out in the euphoria of the trip. At SXSW I once shared my baggie with a rando chick I met there and it was like we experienced an entire relationship over the course of two hours. It came to an abrupt halt when her husband arrived on the scene at about the same time the shrooms wore off. (No sex -- we had arrived at the sexless part of our "marriage", I guess.)

My mom died a horrible death and I freely told this girl all about it about 30 minutes after we met, and there was something about me matter of factly stating what happened to her to a near-stranger that was very, very healing. It was like I was finally coming to terms with it five years after the fact. (My mother was an addict / alcoholic who wound up homeless. She was run over by a car while trying to run across an Interstate highway in the middle of the night.)

That I can type that here now is probably because of the progress I made that night.

At another SXSW I got pretty close to dangerously high on them. I had to lay out in my hotel room for about 15 minutes because I was literally seeing music in chromed-out blasts of deep purple, electric green, and blinding silver sheen. Once I was able to walk, I made my way down to Dirty Sixth and just sat there on the curb, hearing the hiss sizzling off off the cymbals and the muffled roar of the kick-drums of maybe six different shitty non-showcase bar bands and watching a couple of knots of wandering drunks get into random fistfights over nothing.

I took all of that in, and had this peculiar and overwhelming feeling that I was, at long last, at home. I may have grown up in Houston and Nashville, but I went to college in Austin, and it was the city of my birth, and my grandfather's city of birth, and it was where my other grandfather met my grandmother. Hell, my great-grandfather was in the class of 1895 or some shit, and worked in various roles there for the next few decades. My mom might be dead and the rest of my family might be scattered all over the place, but as far as I may wander -- Austin was home. And not only that, but this home of mine,  my One True Anchorage in the Universe, was Dirty Sixth on one of the dirtiest nights of the year.  I felt like my ancestors were all telling me this as I sat there on that curb.

Which was all bullshit. What Austin was and what Austin was becoming then and is becoming more of now was not home at all, and that was a very, very shitty place to feel At One with the Cosmos.

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 4

wait until you have had about an inch of good rain in the span of about 2 days or maybe a bit more

then you need a nice foggy night

early the next morning head east out of Nacogdoches, Texas on highway 7 just past the intersection of highway 7 and highway 69 you will see a sigh that says "Cheeselands" (state road #2)

turn north on that road and go down it and it will curve around a bit and then it will get in a treed area and dip down a bit just after a curve.....stop right in that dip and let your passengers out and they are to jump the gate on the driver side of the road

driver heads into Wells, Texas and orders Dairy Queen for everyone and about the time you get everyone's food and maybe of you knew conditions were perfect the driver eats their food you head back down state road #2 and pick your friends up at the gate and head back to town

if things go well everyone that picked should get about 3" worth in the bottom of a decent sized hefty bag

enjoy (ps please try to not leave foot prints so the owner does not figure out people have been out there)

or if you are more brave there is a place just outside of town on highway 21 on the south side just after a creek, but the farmer knows what is up there and you have to go at night and not park on the shoulder of the road because the cops know what is up also

you look for the ones that are growing in the patty (the patty has to be a particular age and cannot be too decomposed) and they have a purple underside/gills and a "purple skirt" with that being the annulus where the top opened up from the stem

the farmer needs to feed a grain diet and a diet that is not medicated, you need the prior rain in the right amount and then you NEED the fog along with the cattle being in the field crapping at the right time.......when the conditions are right you are going to find all you need and then some when not it is a waste of time

11 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

wait until you have had about an inch of good rain in the span of about 2 days or maybe a bit more

then you need a nice foggy night

early the next morning head east out of Nacogdoches, Texas on highway 7 just past the intersection of highway 7 and highway 69 you will see a sigh that says "Cheeselands" (state road #2)

turn north on that road and go down it and it will curve around a bit and then it will get in a treed area and dip down a bit just after a curve.....stop right in that dip and let your passengers out and they are to jump the gate on the driver side of the road

driver heads into Wells, Texas and orders Dairy Queen for everyone and about the time you get everyone's food and maybe of you knew conditions were perfect the driver eats their food you head back down state road #2 and pick your friends up at the gate and head back to town

if things go well everyone that picked should get about 3" worth in the bottom of a decent sized hefty bag

enjoy (ps please try to not leave foot prints so the owner does not figure out people have been out there)

or if you are more brave there is a place just outside of town on highway 21 on the south side just after a creek, but the farmer knows what is up there and you have to go at night and not park on the shoulder of the road because the cops know what is up also

you look for the ones that are growing in the patty (the patty has to be a particular age and cannot be too decomposed) and they have a purple underside/gills and a "purple skirt" with that being the annulus where the top opened up from the stem

the farmer needs to feed a grain diet and a diet that is not medicated, you need the prior rain in the right amount and then you NEED the fog along with the cattle being in the field crapping at the right time.......when the conditions are right you are going to find all you need and then some when not it is a waste of time

I read that in Andy Dufresne’s voice.

First shroom trip was with a big group.  Everyone had long sustained mild visuals.  Huge sense of amazement and euphoria.  Really pleasant experience.

Subsequent shroom trips were solo or done clandestine.  Barely any visuals, but really pessimistic and negative thoughts.  Like how dirty and ugly the external world is.  Not scary, but just unenjoyable. 

They say hallucinogens just amplify your personality, but I wasn't depressed or in a bad mood.  Don't know if it was a bad dose, analogous to how different biological strands of marijuana provide opposite experiences.

Overall, worth a try.

LSD I dropped once it was so goddamned intense I didn't want to do it again.  Thought I died, pissed myself, shat my pants, everything.  Out of body experience.  Visuals, thoughts, auditory, everything was loopy.  Almost had like a 2 day hangover where I didn't feel fully back to normal. 

Id consider microdosing now, but the full acid experience is too warp speed for me to give another shot.

My best trips were when I was camping.  Being out in nature with no "noise" around always provided a great environment for tripping.  If there was a big group of people tripping, it always seemed as if there was one other person having the same type of trip as me so we'd end up hanging out and laughing all day long.  My stomach muscles were usually sore from laughing so much.  Taking one hits during the "valleys" of the trip helped as well.  My very last trip was the only bad trip that I had.  I was camping, but my then girlfriend (now wife) had taken our 6 month old puppy along so I was trying to be responsible by watching the puppy.  I also took way too much (probably about 3 grams when I would usually only take 1 gram) and ended up just sitting in a chair pondering all the stupid things I had done in my life.  I also walked into a field and sat there convinced I could see and hear every single insect in that field.  I was worried about how I was going to go to work on Monday tripping my ass off.  I was convinced I would still be tripping 2 days later and that if I went to work they would know I was tripping.  It kind of sucks that my last trip was my only bad trip.  In the right circumstances, I might consider one more trip, but it would have to be the perfect scenario.

Edited by Hate
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Hate said:

My best trips were when I was camping.  Being out in nature with no "noise" around always provided a great environment for tripping.  If there was a big group of people tripping, it always seemed as if there was one other person having the same type of trip as me so we'd end up hanging out and laughing all day long.  My stomach muscles were usually sore from laughing so much.  Taking one hits during the "valleys" of the trip helped as well.  My very last trip was the only bad trip that I had.  I was camping, but my then girlfriend (now wife) had taken our 6 month old puppy along so I was trying to be responsible by watching the puppy.  I also took way too much (probably about 3 grams when I would usually only take 1 gram) and ended up just sitting in a chair pondering all the stupid things I had done in my life.  I also walked into a field and sat there convinced I could see and hear every single insect in that field.  I was worried about how I was going to go to work on Monday tripping my ass off.  I was convinced I would still be tripping 2 days later and that if I went to work they would know I was tripping.  It kind of sucks that my last trip was my only bad trip.  In the right circumstances, I might consider one more trip, but it would have to be the perfect scenario.

I can relate to this post a lot. One of my good friends, possibly my best friend, is part of the group involved in my previous post, but he's never actually done shrooms and really wants to.  The guy whose couch I fucked up is also very close friends with him and wants to do it as well.  That was his only trip, and he spent half of it crying over a couch he got for free.

Tripping with those guys is probably the only way I would trip again.  I've extracted all I think I can from it, and the only other value I see is being able to guide people that I love through the same experience.

Was a place called Hyde’s on 5th street back in the 80s that was a big drug/dance/fuck place.  A doorman there would sell what he called an MX Missle - a hit of X and probably 1/1.5 grams of shrooms.  Had some great times with Jewish party chicks from my dorm (Dobie)...

Was a place called Hyde’s on 5th street back in the 80s that was a big drug/dance/fuck place.  A doorman there would sell what he called an MX Missle - a hit of X and probably 1/1.5 grams of shrooms.  Had some great times with Jewish party chicks from my dorm (Dobie)...

Back when X was actually MDMA. And legal for a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I got into Hydes (and another place called Halls) using my brothers roommate's ID that did not look a damn thing like me

one I got in because the guy did not give a shit (a lot less clubs cared back then) and the other one the guy tried the "ok what is your address" which I had wisely memorized and he told me he was sorry and let me in

one of the two had porn on the TVs behind the bar

back when X was legal and when Time Magazine did their article saying "the world would be a better place if everyone did some X at least once" a club on 410 in San Antonio called ZigZag did $600,000 in one weekend across the bar the last weekend before it was made illegal

First time I did shrooms was on the way to JazzFest in New Orleans. Miles Davis was playing at a ratty outdoor theater that year, not actually at the festival; it's probably not there any more.

Anyway, the trip in (and yes, multiple meanings), we had to stop for gas in some small rat-trap town, and it was prom night in rural Louisiana. Pastel metallic formal wear in fractal-vision is certainly something to behold. But the highlight for me absolutely had to be the fact that the air conditioning kicked in while I was using the dilapidated bathroom, and it sounded very much like the basso-profundo end of the oversized Casio organ from "Close Encounters", only it was playing "I Dream of Jeannie".

I had other good shroom experiences, but there was never really even a chance that anything would ever turn out quite that well again.

• Like 3

Halls was originally a gay bar, but got taken over by pre-goth chicks and their "beaus."  Pretty sure it was Hall's with the pr0n.

Hyde's was a pretty straight-up (no pun) danceteria type place.  Quart jars of blue green shit.  Massacres.  It was kind of the place on 6th in the mid-late 80s.  I think it was still hanging on in the 90s, maybe a different name.

No shrooms or really many other drugs for me.  I sensed fairly early on that I had my hands full with alcohol.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just got a quarter earlier this week. I put them in a food processor and ground them into powder to put in capsules for micro doses. They’re so much fun and add that perfect amount of excitement into any night.

One little pill and any night is 10x better without going too far and being wacky in public

• Like 3

Did shrooms multiple times in the late 90s while living in Austin. Couple times in apartments and then venturing into neighborhoods (the counter guy at 7-11 knew). Eeyore’s Birthday once (I sat in the trees the whole time). Metallica concert (was there a guy hanging from the rafters?). The best was at The Tavern employee Christmas party. Upstairs was the party. Downstairs was open to the public. Coming down the stairs was like someone turned down the speed of a record player. I think all of these times were in the same calendar year. 

Just saw this thread. Great stories by all. I could probably write a novel about all of the times I've done them (from the mid 90's in East Texas fresh out the fields to now in Dallas). 

Just got a girl to start doing them with me in public (concerts). We did a trial run at an Incubus show in November and she did fine so we just made our pills for the Tool show in a couple of weeks. Should be a blast.

• Like 1