A Hidden Life by Terrence Malick

washparkhorn

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this. Absolutely gorgeous slow burn with outstanding acting and incredible accuracy. 

Near the end of the film, i was thinking to myself “thank god this isnt a true story. Its awful what they did to him.” Then i remembered, it was a true story. And of everything ive read, the movie was very faithful to Franz’s life/events.

Best post Thin Red Line Malick imo. More of a storyline/plot than some of his other recent films. 8/10

• 1 year later...

Finally got to see this.  Clearly should have been nominated for best picture 2020.

Holy shit I bought it completely and loved it. 

Now I feel like eating some strudel, moving to Austria, buying a place in the hills, and marrying a young bride who can work the fields and milk the cows while I contemplate shit I'm going to post on surly.

A-Hidden-Life-008.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

It was a beautiful film.  I watched it right at the outset of Pandemic last year.  I loved everything about it, but I'm a Malick-homer.  I was hoping to run into him at our local Randall's like I used to years ago.  

Through flashback, you always see that every character in a Malick film was so happy, so at peace, so serenely centered in love and life.  Then something happens to them...they end up in Terrance Malick movie and everything in their life goes to shit.  

When those two lovebirds weren't grab assing while they were farming, they were making out in the hills (are alive with the sound of music).

As depressing as TM flicks can be, I always come away feeling like I haven't spent enough time staring into my wife's eyes with deep intense passion.

If I ever looked at my wife in the way a TM character looks at his girlfriend/spouse, she'd say:  "WTF dude.  You're freaking me out."

I'm not a romantic man.

Bit of a spoiler:

Spoiler

I'll admit it, I thought that last quote before the credits was really cool and while I tend to not get teary eyed, it kind of took my breath away.

The growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs. - George Eliot