Cocktail Recipes, Techniques, etc.

Seasick Sailor

What are some of your favorite cocktail recipes? 

When I first started moving away from whiskey and cokes a few years ago. I learned quite a bit from this dude:

He's no longer at the Ritz. He opened his own place called Revel. 

I love Sazeracs and Old Fashioneds, but lately I've been mixing up Boulevardiers more often. 

Boulevardier:

2 parts bourbon

1 part Campari

1 part swwet vermouth

Stir in mixing glass with ice, strain into coupe, garnish with lemon or orange twist. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

16 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

What are some of your favorite cocktail recipes? 

When I first started moving away from whiskey and cokes a few years ago. I learned quite a bit from this dude:

He's no longer at the Ritz. He opened his own place called Revel. 

I love Sazeracs and Old Fashioneds, but lately I've been mixing up Boulevardiers more often. 

Boulevardier:

2 parts bourbon

1 part Campari

1 part swwet vermouth

Stir in mixing glass with ice, strain into coupe, garnish with lemon or orange twist. 

I am a old fashioned and Sazerac guy also.  Never tried a Boulevardier but now I apparently need to.  I make that same Sazerac recipe (with simple syrup) but make it in bulk and store it in a thermos in the freezer.  Lasts forever and when I want one I just grab a glass and spray it with Herb saint (i have it in a little spray bottle), pour the liquid from the freezer and throw a lemon peel in the glass.  Comes out perfect every time.

• Like 3

One of the most famous cocktail bars is place in NYC's East Village called Death & Company. I draw all of my cocktail knowledge and inspiration from that place. They have 2 books, one which (Cocktail Codex) won the James Beard award this year. For a comprehensive overview of cocktails, spirits, and a high quality approach to craftsmanship, I recommend their namesake book. My standard drink is a neat bourbon or old-fashioned, but if I'm feeling adventurous, my favorite from this book is their famous Oaxaca Old-fashioned. 

15775520275948590332305994943140.jpg

15775521117374120514605542703378.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am a old fashioned and Sazerac guy also.  Never tried a Boulevardier but now I apparently need to.

I really like Boulevardiers. It's basically a Negroni with bourbon instead of gin. And it's very easy to explain how to make one if you find yourself in a bar that doesn't have it on the menu but does have the ingredients. 

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

One of the most famous cocktail bars is place in NYC's East Village called Death & Company. I draw all of my cocktail knowledge and inspiration from that place. They have 2 books, one which (Cocktail Codex) won the James Beard award this year. For a comprehensive overview of cocktails, spirits, and a high quality approach to craftsmanship, I recommend their namesake book. My standard drink is a neat bourbon or old-fashioned, but if I'm feeling adventurous, my favorite from this book is their famous Oaxaca Old-fashioned. 

15775520275948590332305994943140.jpg

15775521117374120514605542703378.jpg

Do they have the four in hand recipe in the book?  May be cocktail I’ve ever had. 

2 minutes ago, Spur08 said:

Sazerac, old fashioned, and manhattans are my 3 go-tos.  I hate campari so I can't do any drinks involving that, but I've been playing with some vieux carrés lately.

In my experience, you have to be very careful with Campari. It tends to overpower a drink. I make my Boulevardiers with high-proof bourbon and err on the side of less Campari. I find that this gives you the right balance. Some Boulevardier recipes call for equal amounts of bourbon, Campari, and sweet vermouth. I think that's too much Campari. 2-1-1 is a great ratio IMO. 

I found a 1960s era Mr. Boston's drink book at a Half Priced Books years ago.  Need to find that baby and make some classics.

You mean like this one? Got the 1967 version as a gift a few years back and it’s pretty great.

aaf8b2914689e561ee2e1c204329fcf9.jpg

Very traditional, obviously, and holds too many drinks that require sugar or egg for my liking, but it’s a staple.

One of my favorites is the Lawhill, but you Sazerac fans get it.

03f09e5e93148035c7bfe0bb0393fe0d.jpg

10 hours ago, Eggo said:

el monumento up in georgetown does a tequila old fashioned with a very similar ingredient list, pretty damn tasty

Edited by elfenix

On 12/28/2019 at 9:39 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am a old fashioned and Sazerac guy also.  Never tried a Boulevardier but now I apparently need to.  I make that same Sazerac recipe (with simple syrup) but make it in bulk and store it in a thermos in the freezer.  Lasts forever and when I want one I just grab a glass and spray it with Herb saint (i have it in a little spray bottle), pour the liquid from the freezer and throw a lemon peel in the glass.  Comes out perfect every time.

You’re a diabolical genius!  Digging out a thermos now...

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 10:40 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

I have my favorite mixing bourbon, rye, and tequila pretty well nailed down. What are you using for vodka and gin cocktails? 

Gordon’s gin with Schweppes tonic mixed 50/50 with a  lime squeeze for the best G&T. Try t.

Costco $14 dollar home wrecker Vodka . Tastes like Tito’s to me.

What is your mixing bourbon ?

2 hours ago, JimmyRussels said:

Gordon’s gin with Schweppes tonic mixed 50/50 with a  lime squeeze for the best G&T. Try t.

Costco $14 dollar home wrecker Vodka . Tastes like Tito’s to me.

What is your mixing bourbon ?

My spouse likes Tanqueray (sp?) but for Christmas I bought him some Aviator because it was that one that Ryan Reynolds fronts (and Deadpool is a movie I like). It is smooth (to me) but I have zero taste. We also use a lime squeeze.

When he makes gin martinis he usually dials back the gin to vermouth ratio for me. My favorite gin drink aside from tonics are the gin fizzes.

20 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Hendrick’s gin is also damn good, has a unique flavor to it more cucumber like.

We've had that, too. It isn't in our regular rotation, but it is nice for something different.

Off topic, but around the holidays I make a fruitcake that uses dried fruit soaked in brandy for a couple of days. I drain the fruit prior to baking, but save the liquid. Sloshing a few glugs in hot cider makes a nice drink when the weather is cool.

French 75

INGREDIENTS

2 ounces London dry gin
  • ¾ ounce fresh lemon juice
  • ¾ ounce simple syrup
  • 2 ounces Champagne, preferably rose
  • Long spiral lemon twist (for serving
  • RECIPE PREPARATION
  • Combine gin, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds.

• Strain cocktail through a Hawthorne strainer or a slotted spoon into a large flute. Top with Champagne; garnish with lemon twist.

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Demera syrup or demera sugar is even better.

Just for fun, try making a simple syrup with honey; using clover or orange blossom honey works well with gin like in the French 75 mentioned above. If you are using honey from your local market, taste it first before going to the trouble just to make sure it isn't overpowering. I wouldn't suggest using honey straight since it is too thick and doesn't mix well. The nice thing is that you don't have to make a large batch just to try it.

On 12/30/2019 at 10:40 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

I have my favorite mixing bourbon, rye, and tequila pretty well nailed down. What are you using for vodka and gin cocktails? 

I like making Colorado bulldogs with vodka. I don't do exact measurements but when I make one I do 3/4 of a shot glass with vodka, 3/4 of a shot glass with Kahlua, a full shot glass of milk (or half/half), and a splash of coke on top. 

Not a big cocktail guy but i do love a good old fashion.  I was in a little bourbon bar (lost property) in hollywood this year and the bartender made me a Red Hook, it was awesome:

I just eyeball it to my taste:

2 oz

Rye whiskey

1⁄2 oz

Punt e Mes

1⁄2 oz

Maraschino liqueur

Also, there is a good cocktail at Haywire in Plano, The King of Texas:

KING OF TEXAS (the menu doesnt have the measurements)

Whiskey or Bourbon / ginger liqueur / lemon juice / simple syrup / Angostura bitters

On 12/28/2019 at 1:39 PM, Spur08 said:

I've been playing with some vieux carrés lately

What's your go-to vieux carre recipe? I've been wanting to make some lately. The only cognacs I am familiar with are Hennessy and Remy, and that's only because I've heard about 1,000 rap songs that mention them. Are either one of them actually good?

Heard about a drink that's taking over Scotland/UK called a "Smokey Cokey". It's a couple ounces of Lagavulin 16 mixed with 5 oz of coke and a lime wedge. Supposedly the smokey bitterness of the Lagavulin pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the coke. I would like to try it.

It's outside the comfort zone of most people as Lagavulin 16 is a $100 bottle and conventional wisdom says mixing with coke is blasphemous. 

Edited by Junior Miller

23 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Heard about a drink that's taking over Scotland/UK called a "Smokey Cokey". It's a couple ounces of Lagavulin 16 mixed with 5 oz of coke and a lime wedge. Supposedly the smokey bitterness of the Lagavulin pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the coke. I would like to try it.

It's outside the comfort zone of most people as Lagavulin 16 is a $100 bottle and conventional wisdom says mixing with coke is blasphemous. 

As a youngster raiding parents' liquor cabinet, I can attest that scotch and coke is  . . . not good.  I don't think excellent scotch would improve the flavor profile.

Diet Dr. Pepper and gin is better  . . .  but not by much.

I was told it has to be specifically Lagavulin 16. Maybe Lagavulin 8 if the cost of 16 is too high but 16 is much better. Others won't be close to the same. 

It goes against conventional wisdom but I'm intrigued to try it. Apparently it's become so popular in parts of the UK they mix it to keep on tap. 

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As a youngster raiding parents' liquor cabinet, I can attest that scotch and coke is  . . . not good.  I don't think excellent scotch would improve the flavor profile.

Diet Dr. Pepper and gin is better  . . .  but not by much.

I'll counter by saying Bacardi and Root Beer is worse.