Cocktail Recipes, Techniques, etc.

Seasick Sailor

7 hours ago, ramirezut said:

I started making a Vicuña for guests/friends after a visit to a cocktail bar in CDMX last fall:
1oz Mezcal, 1oz Pisco, .5oz Agave nectar, 1.5oz pineapple juice, squeeze of lime. Salt rim with Tajín.a6129b0a93abf3731eb36c82d674b2ef.jpg

I like the mezcal pisco split. I would probably cut the agave and pineapple juice and make some pineapple gum syrup to cut out the frothiness. 

I like the mezcal pisco split. I would probably cut the agave and pineapple juice and make some pineapple gum syrup to cut out the frothiness. 

funny because the women tend to LOVE the froth. I pour it over ice to dilute the froth a bit. 

I've tried making it with an orange infused tea and its actually not bad. 

23 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Heard about a drink that's taking over Scotland/UK called a "Smokey Cokey". It's a couple ounces of Lagavulin 16 mixed with 5 oz of coke and a lime wedge. Supposedly the smokey bitterness of the Lagavulin pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the coke. I would like to try it.

It's outside the comfort zone of most people as Lagavulin 16 is a $100 bottle and conventional wisdom says mixing with coke is blasphemous

By any measure it is blasphemous.  Good lord.

You boys, please, go to the store and buy a bag of clear ice. Y'all think nothing of spending $50+ on a bottle of booze, but won't spend $2 on a bag of good ice? Come on.  Refrigerator ice is nasty. HEB has good ice, but I realize they're never open. Ready Ice at the Quickie Pickie is okay, but make sure to get it from inside the store, not from an outside box that has been sitting in the sun all afternoon...that stuff melts and refreezes and is only a step above refrigerator ice. Part of the fun of cocktails is the ritual, and part of the ritual is good, clear ice.  

Forgot to add about brandy question. Pierre Ferrand, more specifically cognac, but all of their grades are outstanding and worth the money, IMHO. When there are no grapes, they keep their stills busy making gin, Citadelle, which is good, too if you don't require a London Dry. 

Edited by Not that Bob
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Not that Bob said:

You boys, please, go to the store and buy a bag of clear ice. Y'all think nothing of spending $50+ on a bottle of booze, but won't spend $2 on a bag of good ice? Come on.  Refrigerator ice is nasty. HEB has good ice, but I realize they're never open. Ready Ice at the Quickie Pickie is okay, but make sure to get it from inside the store, not from an outside box that has been sitting in the sun all afternoon...that stuff melts and refreezes and is only a step above refrigerator ice. Part of the fun of cocktails is the ritual, and part of the ritual is good, clear ice.  

Forgot to add about brandy question. Pierre Ferrand, more specifically cognac, but all of their grades are outstanding and worth the money, IMHO. When there are no grapes, they keep their stills busy making gin, Citadelle, which is good, too if you don't require a London Dry. 

Just get a big cube tray set from Amazon and fill it with bottled water. 

9 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

Just get a big cube tray set from Amazon and fill it with bottled water. 

That's an option, but all the photos I see here have crescent moon shaped home refrigerator cubes which probably taste like last nights leftover Pad Thai. Additionally, to get very clear ice you have to boil the water before freezing which gets the suspended O2 out of the water. Then you are still freezing it in the home fridge/freezer which circulates air throughout the system contaminating the ice with food flavors. Again, I enjoy the ritual and it's only 2 bucks for a bag of good ice. Yes, I am OCD.

If you prefer to buy it then that definitely works but doesn't the ice you keep in the fridge if you don't use right away also take on food flavors? The wife and I don't keep any leftovers. The only things in our fridge are packages of unprepared food and fruits and vegetables so we don't have that issue. 

I prefer the big square ice cube for whiskey drinks so the 4 cube tray filled with bottled/distilled water and placed inside a sealed freezer bag should work well if you have that issue. I haven't seen anywhere that sells a package of the large cubes. 

I think your technique will work just fine. I just cringe when I see the crescent moon shaped cubes, evidently straight out of the food freezer, with expensive booze poured over it.

Yes, I think you have to either use the store bought ice quickly, or toss it out after a short time...it does "absorb" refrigerator breath. I have several different ice trays, but find I am more likely to use store bought, but I have not seen large cubes. I know there are gadgets that make large round cubes, which are supposed to be the bee's knees, but that surpasses even my OCD.

18 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

I think your technique will work just fine. I just cringe when I see the crescent moon shaped cubes, evidently straight out of the food freezer, with expensive booze poured over it.

Yes, I think you have to either use the store bought ice quickly, or toss it out after a short time...it does "absorb" refrigerator breath. I have several different ice trays, but find I am more likely to use store bought, but I have not seen large cubes. I know there are gadgets that make large round cubes, which are supposed to be the bee's knees, but that surpasses even my OCD.

Your OCD doesn’t extend to maintaining a clean fridge?

On 1/18/2020 at 5:52 PM, Not that Bob said:

You boys, please, go to the store and buy a bag of clear ice.

My ice is from Colorado so it's likely A LOT more cleaner than your freezer ice. While it's not sexy to put in for presentation, its fine for chilling a drink. Sue me if I'm not in the mood to run to the store to please the goddam world. 

Any Bloody Mary fans?

I don't measure exact ratios, but do everything essentially to taste.  This is a pretty tried and true general recipe for me.  Quasi-lifted from a bar in Lawrence I hit up before an ISU/KU game  awhile back.

Vodka (Tito's when I want something decent, whatever's cheap when I don't care)

Pickle juice (similar in amount to vodka)

Splash of olive juice

Cavender's Greek Seasoning

Black pepper

Celery Salt

Garlic salt

Horseradish

Worcestershire dash

A1 dash

Tabasco dash

Top glass with Campbell's tomato juice

Shake back and forth between spare glass

Garnish with meat, cheese, olive, pickle.  Chase with a lager or pale ale.

7 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Don't like the taste of vodka with tomato but love tequila with it. For parties I like making tall shots with half tequila and half zing zang bloody Mary mix with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and lime juice. 

That sounds pretty solid.  I assume you're using blanco?

I've had Bloodys with both blanco tequila and gin that were pretty good.  However, if you're using a non-vodka spirit it HAS to be high quality.  You can season over trash vodka.  You can't season over trash tequila/gin.

9 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Zing Zang and Gin for the win.

Zing Zang was my go-to for years, but I eventually burned out on it.  For nationally available brands, Mr & Mrs T's Bold & Spicy is probably my favorite these days.  We have a lot of localish ones that I prefer to that, but they don't have more than a 3-4 state availability.

26 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Don't like the taste of vodka with tomato but love tequila with it. For parties I like making tall shots with half tequila and half zing zang bloody Mary mix with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and lime juice. 

My grandpa always put some OJ in that mix and just took sips of it after a few shots of tequila. 

5 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That sounds pretty solid.  I assume you're using blanco?

I've had Bloodys with both blanco tequila and gin that were pretty good.  However, if you're using a non-vodka spirit it HAS to be high quality.  You can season over trash vodka.  You can't season over trash tequila/gin.

Definitely a blanco because you need that strong flavor. Usually I grab some Don Julio's or Tres Generaciones blanco but really any full 100% agave blanco will work just fine. For some reason that blanco tequila and bloody Mary mix with a little lime juice is just a dynamite flavor to me. 

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

My grandpa always put some OJ in that mix and just took sips of it after a few shots of tequila. 

He was a traditionalist with the sangrita chaser. My buddy from Mexico City likes making sangrita with orange juice and pomegranate juice mix. It's pretty good when you want to mix it up with different flavors

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cocktail a la Louisiane is becoming my go-to. 

Ingredients

• 2 oz. rye whiskey
  • 1⁄2 oz. sweet vermouth
  • 1⁄4 oz. Benedictine
  • 3 dashes Peychaud's bitters
  • 2 dashes absinthe
  • Maraschino cherry, to garnish

Instead of the dashes of absinthe, I chill a rocks glass and then do an absinthe rinse as you would for a sazerac.  

In the shaker today:

Corpse Reviver No. 2:

• 3/4 oz dry gin
  • 3/4 oz Cointreau 
  • 3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
  • 3/4 oz lemon juice
  • dash of absinthe (I just rinse the glass)
  • Garnish: I've seen recipes that call for an orange peel and some that call for a maraschino cherry. Both work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been getting more into different cocktails during the quarantine (I used to drink almost exclusively Vieux Carre's).  The one ingredient that seems impossible to come by is Amer Picon.  From what I can tell, it's not sold in the US at this point.

Any of you degenerates come across this problem?  Is there an Amer Picon replacement that works well?

9 hours ago, Stringer said:

I've been getting more into different cocktails during the quarantine (I used to drink almost exclusively Vieux Carre's).  The one ingredient that seems impossible to come by is Amer Picon.  From what I can tell, it's not sold in the US at this point.

Any of you degenerates come across this problem?  Is there an Amer Picon replacement that works well?

It is not available in the US.  That being said, there is an Amer Picon like liquor made in Colorado (Golden Moon - see article below), but I have not been able to get that either.  

https://imbibemagazine.com/david-lebovitz-explores-the-elusive-amer-picon/

Picon is not exported to the United States. Over drinks in Paris, Peter Schaf of Tempus Fugit Spirits told me it’s because the spirit contains calamus, a flowering plant that’s used for medicinal purposes but is banned by the FDA.

i bought a bottle of dark rum on a whim last time picking up from SPec's  
I have no idea what to make with it.  Just been pouring over ice and adding some lime topo chico.
any recs?  nothing that sweet.

A floater in a Planter’s Punch. And my favorite PP recipe is equal parts pineapple juice, orange juice, sweet and sour mix and sprite/7up. Add grenadine to taste. I don’t like mine too red. To the base I add light rum—at least 3 oz per serving. Mix with ice and then add a floater of dark rum, preferably Myer’s.

29 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Gyro: nothing sweet

Houtex: here's a drink with 5 kinds of sugar

He didn't say "nothing sweet" he said not "that sweet."  My recipe isn't that sweet because I add a shit ton of rum.  I hate overly sweet cocktails.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

i bought a bottle of dark rum on a whim last time picking up from SPec's  

I have no idea what to make with it.  Just been pouring over ice and adding some lime topo chico.

any recs?  nothing that sweet.

I've been making a ton of mai tais recently, but that will be too sweet for your tastes.  Try a dark and stormy, which is pretty similar to what you've already been drinking, or a rum old fashioned.  

yeah, i love mai tais, but on the whole low carb thing now.  just crowd sourcing ideas i have not thought of for rum.  I like a good 1/4 floater of dark rum on those mt's

The dark rum is not bad w/ topo chico but not as good mezcal.

Edited by gyroprotagonist
spelling