Cocktail Recipes, Techniques, etc.

Seasick Sailor

My wife bought some “how to cocktail” book that walks through the “old school” ways of making cocktails. Absolutely amazing.

A 600 dollar trip to total wine to stock up (our already overstocked bar) has been worth it.

Not only do I get awesome drinks, but she makes them all for me. A nice break from my whiskey drinks and beer from the kegerator.

Only downside is I have to keep working out with her 5 days a week.

• Like 1

Bon Appetit's recipe for Pina Coladas is really good.  Reminds me of the ones in Belize.  Any recs on a good light and dark rum?  We made them last weekend, but all I had was a dark rum from Belize that we always bring back, but I don't think you can get it in the US and obviously can't stock up in the near future.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/bas-best-pina-colada

Edited by kevwun

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
3 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

Anyone have any experience / recipes with green chartreuse?

I bought a bottle many years ago and tried to make something palatable. I failed. Guess the only green liquor I like is Midori.

23 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

Thread bump 

Anyone have any experience / recipes with green chartreuse?

Made this recently and am hooked.

2 oz lillet blanc

1 oz green chartreuse 

1/2 oz gin 

1 oz lime juice (used lemon instead)

1/2 oz simple syrup

This looks great.  Been looking for a place for the Lillet Blanc I bought a while back.  Will try that out.

Here's a couple of Chartreuse drinks I have made:

Last Word:

3/4 oz gin

3/4 oz lime juice

3/4 oz maraschino liqueur

3/4 oz green chartreuse

Shake and serve up

Temporary:

1 1/2 oz Irish whiskey (I use rye here)

1 oz sweet vermouth

1/2 oz green chartreuse

1 dash orange bitters

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/16/2021 at 10:21 PM, mchookem said:

tell me about Campari - is it super sweet? tart?

i just realized i've never had a Negroni...and that sounds delicious. but i don't like very sweet.

campari is a bitter. 

cocktails and their permutations:

whiskey (rye!), sugar cube, bitters, ice= old fashioned

old fashioned but replace sugar cube with sweet vermouth = manhattan

manhattan but replace bitters with campari = boulevardier

boulevardier but replace whiskey with gin = negroni

boulevardier but replace sweet vermouth with dry = old pal

manhattan but replace half the whiskey with cognac and add a heavy dash of benedictine = vieux carre

boulevardier but you forgot the whiskey = americano

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 months later...

Dredging this one up. Hit me with your martini technique. I rinsed the glass with dry vermouth, put 2 oz vodka and splash of vermouth in a shaker with lots of ice, shook the shit out of it, strained it into a large martini glass and added a splash of olive juice and a blue cheese stuffed olive.

It barely filled the glass 1/3 of the way. Do restaurants just use a ton of booze?

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Dredging this one up. Hit me with your martini technique. I rinsed the glass with dry vermouth, put 2 oz vodka and splash of vermouth in a shaker with lots of ice, shook the shit out of it, strained it into a large martini glass and added a splash of olive juice and a blue cheese stuffed olive.

It barely filled the glass 1/3 of the way. Do restaurants just use a ton of booze?

It depends on the size of the martini glass.

Libbey Big Martini Glass, 44 Ounce | Martini glass, Libbey, Glass

6 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

You may be over-diluting your drink by shaking. The Martini is a stirred cocktail, despite the famous James Bond line about “shaken, not stirred.”

I learned to make Martinis by watching a couple of The Educated Barfly’s videos on YouTube— Every Martini You’ll Ever Need To Know and Evolution of the Martini. As a fun cocktail project, I bought all the ingredients he uses in the Evolution video and did a history of the Martini cocktail night.  It was a good way to learn my way around the Martini. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, J-Mart said:

Regarding your original question about restaurants using big martini glasses— Most martini recipes I see fit in a Nick and Nora glass. The large V-shaped martini glasses are too big unless you adjust the recipe. 

5 oz. Gin and 1oz. Vermouth fits perfectly. 2 olives please. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Last night I was really looking forward to a martini. I was making it, while watching the Astros, and wasn't really paying attention. I took my first taste and thought WTF is this? No taste at all. I then realized I'd used vodka instead of gin. I know some people actually prefer a vodka martini, and if anyone here is one of those I don't mean any disrespect when I say, are you crazy? I almost just threw it out, but I don't like wasting liquor. At least the 2 blue cheese olives were good.