Bora Bora

wild_turkey

Talk me into or out of going.

Wife and I normally do an anniversary beach trip to St Barth each June. This year we are going to St Barth as a separate trip so we need a cool beach destination for our anniversary.

Leading candidates are Bora Bora, Moorea, Capri, Corsica, or Maldives. I’m also open to other suggestions as long as they aren’t generic Caribbean islands with cruise ships and AI mega resorts.

Did two week honeymoon there. I can’t recommend it enough. We stayed out at the Bora Bora Sofitel.

https://sofitel.accor.com/hotel/2755/index.en.shtml?utm_term=mar&gclid=Cj0KCQiAl5zwBRCTARIsAIrukdNT75YeRYPvKIb9c2xVScXJYQKD2KfXY-T0AJPLmyi3Spf0Ohaa-A4aAvrpEALw_wcB&utm_campaign=ppc-sof-mar-goo-us-en-pf-exa-sear-nz&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=us-en-PF-V8901&utm_source=google

Worth every penny. We went in Nov. weather was great. A little rain here or there.

Csb. Ran into a UT grad on a catamaran trip there. That’s where I found out we where in the Big VII championship game. The one with Simms.

We did Bora Bora and Moorea two years ago.  Amazing place, highly recommend.  If I were to do it again I'd skip Moorea and spend the whole trip in Bora Bora.  Bora seemed to have newer, more dramatic resorts, and it rained a lot more in Moorea - not sure if we had bad luck or if that's the weather pattern.

FYI we flew Air France (I think the only carrier that flies there) and the plane had seats THAT DID NOT RECLINE.  Everyone ended up sleeping on their fold down trays.  Fucking French, designing a long haul interior with cool looking sculpted seats that were uncomfortable as hell.  The Maginot Line of airplanes.

Also, we looked into the Maldives FWIW, and supposedly it's a major pain in the ass to get there.

Wife and I normally do an anniversary beach trip to St Barth each June. This year we are going to St Barth as a separate trip so we need a cool beach destination for our anniversary.

Leading candidates are Bora Bora, Moorea, Capri, Corsica, or Maldives. I’m also open to other suggestions as long as they aren’t generic Caribbean islands with cruise ships and AI mega resorts.
Capri was meh in my opinion.

I've heard Ischia and Sardinia are nice. Greek Islands could fit the bill as well.

Also have done the Moorea/Bora Bora trip. Highly recommend, we had two weeks so we did a week in both places. They are different but both great, if we go back we would do just Bora Bora. 

Our next really big vacation will be Maldives, have had a few friends go and it sounds great but much harder to get there. 

Edited by hornbri

Corsica is the best. Never been to the other places, but Ajaccio is killer and Bastia was fun. Didn't get to go to Calvi or Bonifacio or do the boat trip aroujnd the southern coast, there were big waves or something.

You can stay in Corte in the upcountry, away from the beach. It's worth a day or two. Hiking is tough but just killer, GR20 is considered one of the best hikes in Europe. Food is great, it's France. Saturday Market in Ajaccio is pretty cool. They make a lot of their own wines and liquors and such, and they're good. 

Because it's the Mediterranean, temps are comfortable. Many, many secluded beaches and such, partiularly in Bonifacio. https://www.bing.com/search?q=visit+bonifacio&PC=U316&FORM=CHROMN

We took an overnight to CDG and a noon flight down on Air Corsica.

There are some pics on the old site.

Edited by Thetexashammer

Went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon. Incredibly beautiful and relaxing, but very quiet. There aren't a lot of activities on the island. You can scuba dive, but it's not really a great diving location. You can rent a jet ski for a bit or do a guided tour of Otemanu. You can go fishing, but we didn't get a single bite the entire day.  There's a park where you can go feed rays, but that's about it. Not very many restaurants on the island, so you'll probably eat at your resort every night. Like I said, it was incredibly beautiful and relaxing, but if you aren't content lying by the pool/on the beach for the entirety of the time, it's probably not for you...that said, I do intend to return for our 20th anniversary.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

On 12/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, wild_turkey said:

Do a minimum of ten days. More if possible. It’s a long trip. 

Like SB I was there a long time ago and I know it’s changed a lot.  We did Bora Bora, Moorea, Fiji, a cruise in the Yasawa islands and Maui on the way back. The trip was 19 days and I’d love to do it again. 

19 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Went to Bora Bora for our honeymoon. Incredibly beautiful and relaxing, but very quiet. There aren't a lot of activities on the island. You can scuba dive, but it's not really a great diving location. You can rent a jet ski for a bit or do a guided tour of Otemanu. You can go fishing, but we didn't get a single bite the entire day.  There's a park where you can go feed rays, but that's about it. Not very many restaurants on the island, so you'll probably eat at your resort every night. Like I said, it was incredibly beautiful and relaxing, but if you aren't content lying by the pool/on the beach for the entirety of the time, it's probably not for you...that said, I do intend to return for our 20th anniversary.

This was my experience as well.  We stayed at the 4 Seasons, and did a few excursions during the day (snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, tour of the island) but most of the time was spent relaxing and eating at the resort.  There was one bar in our resort and it was dead by 10pm.  Great trip though and we are going back in a few months for our 10th anniversary.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments.

Any thoughts on Four Seasons vs Le Meridien? Is it worth the added cost to get an OWB with a view of Mount Otemanu compared to a beach or lagoon view?

Our hobbies are eating, drinking, and fucking. How much privacy do you have in an OWB, particularly when it comes to that third one?

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Thanks for the comments.

Any thoughts on Four Seasons vs Le Meridien? Is it worth the added cost to get an OWB with a view of Mount Otemanu compared to a beach or lagoon view?

Our hobbies are eating, drinking, and fucking. How much privacy do you have in an OWB, particularly when it comes to that third one?

We stayed at the Four Seasons and would go back in a heartbeat.  Le Meridian appeared just as nice when we picked up a couple to go jet skiing.  

Save your money, you can look at the mountain from the pool/beach bar.  You'll be fucking anyway so who cares about the OWB view.  (Privacy is a non issue, you'll be fine.)