What are your predictions for the 2020s?

Texas Jeff

What are your predictions for the roaring 20's?  Where will we be by the end of 2029?

In tech, I think we are at the end of the iPhone boom and we'll see something else go big in the 20's, probably AI or robotics.  Tech comes in waves.  Lots of folks worked on the first personal computers in the 1970's, but they went mainstream in the 80's.  People started to get on the web in the 1990s, but it started to take over around 2000 followed by the dot-com crash.  Apple was working on pieces of the iPhone throughout the '00s and it was clear that phones were going to change things by the end of that decade, but we spent the '10s really maxing out what an iPhone could do.  It's time for something else.

I predict that by the end of 2029 we'll see artificial intelligence start to make some decisions for us (choose medication or diagnose an illness), and that AI will pass the Turing test (seem as intelligent as a human) by 2040.

What other predictions do y'all have for the 2020s, in any field or subject?

• Hook 'Em 1

Britain will have the climate of Siberia:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Britain will have the climate of Siberia:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver

A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

Lol. That article would be better if it didn’t use terminology that wasn’t around in 2004. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

OU will suck

Tom Brady will win Super Bowls

DC will remain a swamp not worth the time, energy or effort so many give it

Sex dolls will start to aerobicize 

Blacklab will lose and re-start this message board two times

Jimbo will get bought out for $50M and aggy will have 3 coaches throughout the decade

Keith Richards will drop the ball on 2030

After the smashing success of Austin FC, and the continuing economic and population boom of the Austin market, Austin will become the hot relocation/expansion destination for one or more of the other major leagues.

I could see the Ryan Sanders ownership group (Triple-A Round Rock Express and Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks) purchasing a struggling MLB team, and moving them to Austin. 

My bold prediction is the stadium will be built in the soon to explode Robinson Ranch portion of the city of Austin in Williamson County somewhere near the intersection of SH45 and Loop 1.

• Like 1

I would like to predict that traffic in Austin in 2029 will suck big time.  This is not a difficult prediction to make...

TxDot wants to redo IH-35 through downtown.  The toll road people want to put in a "Mopac South" tollway.  Cap Metro evidently wants to put in an Orange line and a Blue line complete with digging tunnels through downtown, so I've heard.  UT is shutting down Red River.  The density people want lots more folks in and near downtown.

All of that construction will be late, over budget and maybe going on at the same time. For a while we'll have a lot more people downtown with maybe Lamar, 183 and SH-130 fully operational to move people north/south.

Also, Airport Blvd will remain Airport Blvd even though the airport moved back in '99.

People will no longer be staring into cell phones looking like Quasimodo due to new tech

Your kids will not need to learn how to drive. Cars will do it themselves.

millennials will move into secondary cities in the south for cheap housing.The South will reliably vote D by end of decade for President (cities like Memphis, Birmingham,Huntsville, Chattanooga, Columbia, Baton Rouge)

After the smashing success of Austin FC, and the continuing economic and population boom of the Austin market, Austin will become the hot relocation/expansion destination for one or more of the other major leagues.
I could see the Ryan Sanders ownership group (Triple-A Round Rock Express and Double-A Corpus Christi Hooks) purchasing a struggling MLB team, and moving them to Austin. 
My bold prediction is the stadium will be built in the soon to explode Robinson Ranch portion of the city of Austin in Williamson County somewhere near the intersection of SH45 and Loop 1.
Why would an Austin team be located in south Waco?

11 hours ago, Somnio said:

Funny, we had a thread on TOS about this very topic and my prediction was a stadium, for whichever sport, would ultimately be built at this site too one day.  

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:
12 hours ago, Somnio said:

Why would an Austin team be located in south Waco?

1) In the city of Austin, thus no controversy when the team is called the "Austin xxxx".

2) Also in Williamson County, thus not moving the team too far from it's very successful predecessor's Wilco fanbase.

3) Williamson County is also expected to continue it's massive population boom, and one day rival Travis County in population.

4) I could also envision Wilco voters supporting a proposition to build an MLB stadium, which I do not see Austin nor Travis County ever supporting.

5) It's in a very strategic location in many ways.  Good highways, rail access, a lot closer to the population center of the Austin metro than you'd imagine, Robinson Ranch is going to be Mueller on steroids, the team actually could draw a lot of fan support from Bell County (Ft. Hood, Temple, Killeen), and so on and so forth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

Funny, we had a thread on TOS about this very topic and my prediction was a stadium, for whichever sport, would ultimately be built at this site too one day.  

Whenever the Robinson family decides to sell the bulk of their 6,000 acres to developers, then we will see the next massive transformation of Austin.

• Like 2

5g (or whatever g we'll be up to) will be everywhere, and one of the results will be instant communication; even more than we have today. No more changing SIM cards for different countries, or needing international calling plans. Your cell phone will work everywhere in the world, just as if you were sitting in your living room, for calls, data streaming, gps, and stuff we don't even know about yet. 

The foldable phone will become the norm.  People will demand larger screens but their pockets aren’t going to get larger to hold a 10 inch phone. foldable phones that double the screen size will address this.

The industry also needs to come up with additional innovation to get people to pivot to new phones. I know too many people who refuse to spend money on a new $1000 phone when their old iPhone/Android has the same functionality.  New phones offer low incremental changes.  5G is intriguing for improvements with self driving cars or other tech but I don’t see it as a game changer for mobile phones.  With 5g I can download a 4K, 2-hour movie in 2.3 seconds.  Great but do I really need that?

(I also recognize that my last statement mimics many people that historically said we didn’t need home computers, internet or smart phones.)