National Championship pre game thread: #3 Clemson @ #1 LSU (ESPN 1/13 7pm)

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Clemson better be really really good at silent counts.

Yep, it will be 75/25 likely. Dusty Devorasuck said yesterday that when they played LSU in the Sugar Bowl it was deafening in there.  

As for the game I keep going back and forth.  I think the home crowd makes the difference, but Clemson just wins. 

Having the game on Jan 13th makes sense if the fucking play in games were played on Jan 1st like they were the first year of the playoffs.

It makes no fucking sense to have a 17 day gap between the games.   The NCAA keeps beating us over the head saying they cant let the playoffs expand because it would cut into the student athletes courses......

yeah thats total bullshit

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Having the game on Jan 13th makes sense if the fucking play in games were played on Jan 1st like they were the first year of the playoffs.

It makes no fucking sense to have a 17 day gap between the games.   The NCAA keeps beating us over the head saying they cant let the playoffs expand because it would cut into the student athletes courses......

Let's add another round to the playoffs, then. Sounds good to me.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Yep, it will be 75/25 likely. Dusty Devorasuck said yesterday that when they played LSU in the Sugar Bowl it was deafening in there.  

As for the game I keep going back and forth.  I think the home crowd makes the difference, but Clemson just wins. 

It really is amazing how every time LSU gets to NC-contending status the title game is in the Superdome.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Wut?

There will be plenty of Clemson fans there. LSU will only have a slight edge in the number of fans.

9 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

There will be plenty of Clemson fans there. LSU will only have a slight edge in the number of fans.

were it not for the fact that they'll be decked out in the nicest clothes they own, meaning Chinese knockoff jerseys in school colors, could you really tell them apart?

yeah thats total bullshit

It takes this to realize that? What about the FCS teams? Do their academics not matter?

22 hours ago, NowThis said:

Clemson +6 is a gd steal.  I think Clemson wins because of Etienne and their OL is excellent / underrated given other stars on team . Clemson's OL contained Chase Young very well, both OTs might be NFL stock.  Clemson will score at will, Burrow may have a bad series and doesn't have the stellar running game. Even if Clemson loses, it'll be by less than 6.  I'm seeing a 52-47 Clemson win.

Not against LSU's defense.  That said, I do believe all the pressure is on LSU and with that it will be a closer game then most think.  

11 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Why is Clemson still #3?  They beat the #2 team.  Even if they lose Monday they'll be #2.  They will lose the game and rank up.  Would we really be seeing #4 vs. #3 on all the graphics had the cocksuckers pulled an upset?  Fucking stupid.

They don't re-rank teams between semi-finals.  Those are actually considered the seeding #s, which is why they don't change.  

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Wut?

No way does Clemson bring nearly as many fans as LSU will.  It will be 65/35 in favor of LSU, atleast. 

Edited by TeddyBearStallion

2 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

Not against LSU's defense.  That said, I do believe all the pressure is on LSU and with that it will be a closer game then most think.  

They don't re-rank teams between semi-finals.  Those are actually considered the seeding #s, which is why they don't change.  

No way does Clemson bring nearly as many fans as LSU will.  It will be 65/35 in favor of LSU, atleast. 

No way it will be 65 to 35.

Just because it is in NO does not make it an easier ticket to get for LSU fans.

Clemson travels really well. Go back and check their crowds at other playoff games.

Clemson travels really well. Go back and check their crowds at other playoff games.

"LSU's first shot at the CFP championship, combined with the continuation of Clemson's historic run, has led to high demand for next Monday's matchup,” said Andrew Gretchko with Vivid Seats.

“With the game taking place right in LSU's backyard, we're expecting a home atmosphere for the Tigers,” Gretchko said. “Our Fan Forecast currently points to 62% of the Superdome cheering for LSU, leaving just 38% for the defending champs."

On 1/9/2020 at 2:24 PM, TeddyBearStallion said:

which is fine I don't care, except the verbiage they're using to describe it isn't seeding, they're saying ranking

Well aside from the fact the the CFP ranking ends before bowl season, there hasn't been a new ranking of any kind released since before the bowls began.

Those are the "current" rankings.  There will be further rankings after the final game is played.  For that matter, Utah is still the 11th or 12th ranked team in the "current"  AP and coaches' polls, and will remain so until the final college game is played, and the final rankings are voted upon and published.  

This seems like a silly thing to worry about?

On 1/9/2020 at 4:41 PM, Steamboat1874 said:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It'll be 60-40 LSU at a minimum.

Edited by Cajun

36 minutes ago, Cajun said:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

It'll be 60-40 LSU at a minimum.

This.  There's no way those Cajuns don't take over and turn this into a defacto home game.  They did that for our game with them in 2017 on short notice and they'll definitely do that for a national championship game their corndogs are playing in. 

9 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

This.  There's no way those Cajuns don't take over and turn this into a defacto home game.  They did that for our game with them in 2017 on short notice and they'll definitely do that for a national championship game their corndogs are playing in. 

I was there when they played ou for all the marbles.  The place was swamped (pun intended) with LSU fans.  People whose pictures were on milk cartons fucking showed up.

This whole "Clemson travels well" is fucking hilarious.

Yeah, ok.

A 3 week break between conference championships until the semifinals and then another 2 and a half week break between that and the championship game. Got to love it! NFL will be done with its divisional round. Way to take away from the momentum. This game should have been played last Monday.

Edited by Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

A 3 week break between conference championships until the semifinals and then another 2 and a half week break between that and the championship game. Got to love it! NFL will be done with its divisional round. Way to take away from the momentum. This game should have been played last Monday.

All the players are saying the same thing. Basically the break allowed them to get healthy, but none of them wanted it. They wanted to continue the momentum 

14 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

LSU fans listen up.

Clemson will have plenty of fans there and this home field advantage you imagine will not be there.

You might have a few more fans but it will be negligible.

What you should be more concerned with is in all of your over confidence is Clemson has a better defense and a better coach.

That will be the difference.

6 hours ago, TexasGolf said:

Pulling for Clemson even though my dad went to LSU many decades ago. I have grown tired of the classless LSU fans and of media deep throat 

6 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's amazing how easy the LSU program and fan base makes it to root for a team that based on recent history I should be really fucking tired of seeing in and winning this game.  

back to back no less, fantastic.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:20 AM, Valmy77 said:

Have they always played this game this late? It seems like forever we saw LSU demolish OU.

Did you ever experience that dream-like state shortly before waking up where you think you missed an important deadline, wake up fully in panic, and then thankfully realize that there is still time?

The opposite happened today morning. I was half-awake and somehow was thinking about football and NFL playoffs while assuming college football being done, and then panicking for not remembering who won the CFP. After couple of moments, I realized that that stupid game still hasn't happened.

Edited by AeroHorn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

For those wondering about the longer gap between the playoffs and championship this year:

TLDR version: the playoffs were originally slated to be New Years Eve which wouldn’t have given enough time for a Monday the 6th game and some places in New Orleans were already booked by others.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/why-is-the-college-football-playoff-national-championship-game-being-played-so-late/ar-BBYFYHd

When the schedule for the College Football Playoff was created, the semifinals were to take place on Dec. 31 two out of every three years.

But hosting the championship on Jan. 6 would not allow a full week for the teams to prepare for the title game. So the playoff management group reworked the schedule with its TV partners to move the national championship to Jan. 13.

The Rose and Sugar bowls, who are part of the semifinals rotation, were unwilling to move from their traditional date of New Year’s Day and semifinals played on New Year’s Eve were unpopular. As a result, the playoff committee moved this year’s semifinals — the Peach and Fiesta bowls — to Dec. 28.

“What we were thinking was not as many people are able to watch the games on New Year’s Eve that they might on some other day and we want as many people as possible to be able to watch,” College Football Playoff executive director Bill Hancock said. “Looking back, we tried to do something special on New Year’s Eve and we found out it wasn’t the best, so we were able to pivot rather quickly to move to Saturday.”

Hancock said at the time, the group knew this would mean there would be a layoff between the semifinals and Jan. 13, but the tradeoff of moving those games to Dec. 28 would be worth it in the long run.

The playoff group did look at moving the championship game back to Jan. 6, but it turned out some of the venues in New Orleans slated to be used for events leading up to the game were not available.

“We want the city to be at its best,” Hancock said. “We want to be able to showcase the entire city.”

Hancock called this year’s scheduling quirk an anomaly, with the schedule getting back on track next season. The semifinals will be played on Jan. 1, 2021, and the national championship game is set for Jan. 11 at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami.

Clemson and LSU have adapted to the odd schedule.

“I’d prefer to just go play, to be honest with you, if I was writing the schedule out,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said after beating Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl. “But hey, things always happen the way they’re supposed to, and in this particular case I’m really glad that we’ve got a couple of extra days, we can give these guys a little time to rest and recover because it was a long trip and very, very physical game.”

He said he doesn’t think the layoff will hurt overall interest in this year’s championship game.

“I don’t feel any diminishing of interest in all,” said Hancock. “I think the matchup is so phenomenal that the sports world is really looking forward to it.