2020 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

Kobe has to be in the top 10 for sure...what a global icon.

Not sure where these rank but in addition to those already mentioned, these were also pretty significant and shocking deaths when they occurred:

James Gandolfini

Phil Hartman

Steve Irwin

Tim Russert

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Yeah Freddie was a real shock.  Didn't JFK Jr. and Dianna die in a fairly close timeframe as well if I remember correctly?  Also seems around the time of TWA 800 if memory serves correct....

Good call on JFK Jr.  That was a real shock, especially when you consider the potential impact on history that he may have had.  It was rumored that he was finally about ready to enter the political realm and is there any doubt he would have won a presidential bid in a landslide had he run?  That may be the biggest "what if" of any of the celebrity deaths of the last 50 years simply because of his potential impact on world history. 

JFK Jr and Princess Di died a couple of years apart, July of 1999 and August of 97 respectively.  TWA 800 was in July of 1996. 

Edited by Hate

1 hour ago, McCroskey said:

Yes...spatial disorientation. Got caught in IFR conditions and wasn’t certified in it...pretty sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember practicing for that when I got my license.  The instructor put a helmet with a long visor on me so that I could only see the instruments and not outside the plane.  Then he got the plane all cockeyed and gave me the controls and said fix it.  It's really amazing how you can be sure that your oriented right and you'll be almost upside down and shit. 

Yeah.  That's not right.  OTOH, last night the local sports lady said over and over that he was a great husband and father.

Did she say he had always been a great husband and father? I have no idea what the dynamic was between Kobe and his wife, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he became a great husband as he got older and matured.

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Did she say he had always been a great husband and father? I have no idea what the dynamism was between Kobe and his wife, but it’s not out of the realm of possibility that he became a great husband as he got older and matured.

Agreed.  I doubt the sports lady knows any more about the Bryants' relationship than you or me.  I guess it's just one of those nice things people say.

• Like 1

David Bowie was a shocker. Dropped a fantastic album (Blackstar) on his 69th birthday, there was a lot of excitement to see where he was going to go next, and two days later he was dead. In retrospect, it was clear Blackstar was him saying goodbye, but at the time I was stunned.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, mulletpelini said:

I was trying to think about more recent deaths that were BIG when they happened like this and the only one I could think might be bigger while not necessarily a celebrity but an impactful death and came out of nowhere when it happened, Bin Laden.

Verne Troyer? I was a little surprised anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Payne Stewart was a shocking death that got to me that I have not seen mentioned.  

I was thinking of Payne Stewart as well.  While he wasn't near as well known as Kobe or even as good at his respective sport, it was another death that came out of the blue.  Similarly, John Denver.  Sonny Bono was not so much out of the blue, more stopped dead in his tracks.