2020 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

Sounds like another unexpected young one. 

The search for 33-year-old actress Naya Rivera was suspended late Wednesday night after she went missing earlier in the day.

According to the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department, Rivera rented a pontoon boat at about 1 p.m. for she and her 4-year-old son to take out onto Lake Piru.

About three hours later, another boater found her child sleeping in the boat by himself. The boater notified officials, who immediately began a search for Rivera with the use of helicopters, drones and dive teams.

The child was said to be unharmed and told investigators that he and his mother were swimming, but his mother never got back into the boat.

It was not immediately clear how the child got back into the boat.

“There’s a lot of challenges in a reservoir this size, at times with visibility,” Capt. Eric Buschow, of the sheriff’s department, said. “I don’t have details yet as to the depth of the area where the boat was found or what conditions they’re encountering out there.”

The vehicle Rivera and her son traveled to Lake Piru in was removed from the scene, though the boat remained in the water.

Authorities were working to reunite the child with family members Wednesday evening.

On Tuesday, Rivera shared a photo of she and her son with the caption, “just the two of us,” on Twitter.

The search for Rivera was expected to resume Thursday morning.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0729369/

Here’s a fucking random one. I would like to comfort Kari. 

Grant Imahara, an electrical engineer and roboticist who hosted the popular science show MythBusters and Netflix's White Rabbit Project, has died. He was 49.

Imahara died suddenly following a brain aneurysm, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. "We are heartbroken to hear this sad news about Grant. He was an important part of our Discovery family and a really wonderful man. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family," a representative for Discovery said in a statement on Monday.

An electrical engineer and roboticist by training, he joined Discovery's MythBusters in its third season, replacing Scottie Chapman and was with the show until 2014 when he left with with co-hosts Kari Byron and Tory Belleci. The trio would reunite in 2016 for Netflix's White Rabbit Project which lasted for one season. On MythBusters, Imahara used his technical expertise to design and build robots for the show and also operated the computers and electronics needed to test myths. 

While part of the Mythbusters team, he sky-dived and drove stunt cars, on film sets he came into contact with some of the most iconic characters in screen history, installing lights onto Star Wars' R2-D2, creating the robot Geoff Peterson for The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson and working on the Energizer Bunny.

On Monday evening, Imahara's MythBusters and White Rabbit Project co-host Kari Byron tweeted, "Sometimes I wish I had a time machine," and included a picture with Imahara and Tory Belleci.

Later on Monday, Mythbusters co-host Adam Savage also tweeted: "I’m at a loss. No words. I’ve been part of two big families with Grant Imahara over the last 22 years. Grant was a truly brilliant engineer, artist and performer, but also just such a generous, easygoing, and gentle PERSON. Working with Grant was so much fun. I’ll miss my friend."

Born in Los Angeles, Imahara studied electrical engineering at the University of Southern California (though he briefly had doubts and wanted to become a screenwriter) before combining the two passions and landing a post-graduation gig at Lucasfilm-associated THX labs. In his nine years at Lucasfilm, he worked for the company's THX and Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) divisions. In his years at ILM he became chief model maker specializing in animatronics and worked on George Lucas' Star Wars prequels, as well as The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Revolutions, Galaxy Quest, XXX: State of the Union, Van Helsing, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, A.I. Artificial Intelligence and Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. 

As computer graphics began to supplant model-making in the aughts, former ILM colleague Tony Belleci suggested he come aboard Mythbusters, the Discovery show Belleci co-hosted. As a co-host, he became a self-described "human guinea pig," though if they determined a situation unfit for humans, they created machines to test them in their place. 

In a 2008 interview with Machine Design, Imahara told the publication that he wanted to be an engineer because "I liked the challenge of designing and building things, figuring out how something works and how to make it better or apply it in a different way. When I was a kid, I never wanted to be James Bond. I wanted to be Q, because he was the guy who made all the gadgets. I guess you could say that engineering came naturally."

Imahara also starred in many episodes of the fan-made web series Star Trek Continues. He played Hikaru Sulu, a lieutenant, helmsman and third officer on the USS Enterprise, in the show that was an unofficial continuation of Star Trek: The Original Series.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Peter Green, co-founder of Fleetwood Mac and the greatest white blues guitarist, has died.  He was 73.

Better than SRV? I haven't listened to a lot of early Fleetwood Mac, but that's a bold claim.

55 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s a good run! I read somewhere she was taking college courses recently to keep her mind sharp. She had a great life. 

One summer at UT, I got a pass to see four 1930s movies a week when they used to do that on campus. I was introduced to so much good stuff and actors. Jean Arthur was maybe my favorite discovery.

Sometimes the raw beauty of an actress can be lost over time due to changing tastes and fashions. This is not a glamour shot, but I think it conveys her special beauty. Her sister (Famously mutual hate between them), Joan Fontaine was also special. Here's Miss Dehaviland:

8505d3300774f7b581ab218a6706609b--old-ho

I like the fact that she seems to have actually autographed it. Something amusing about that.

• Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Better than SRV? I haven't listened to a lot of early Fleetwood Mac, but that's a bold claim.

Listen to the album in this post and, then, let me know what you think.  "He (Peter Green) has the sweetest tone I ever heard;  he was the only one who gave me cold sweats". - B.B. King

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I can't imagine being convinced that Green was better than SRV, but I will be adding that album to my blues rotation.  Green is certainly smooth.  SRV's mastering both lead and rhythm at the same time is a feat unmatched, IMHO. 

I think part of our difference of opinion is generational.  My buds and I grew up listening to Peter Green (today, we're all in our mid 60's) and I'm supposing that you and @Blotto are younger gentlemen. 40's, perhaps?  No disrespect to SRV, (an amazing talent by anyone's standards) but my friends and I would all take Peter Green over Stevie..  The touch, the tone, the energy, the feel, the space between notes...close your eyes while you listen to Peter Green and you're back somewhere in Mississippi in the 30's.  It's just a shame that he never got the fame and fortune his level of play deserved and that so many have never heard his music.  If I've at least gotten you interested enough to listen to Peter Green, I'll take that as a win.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

I think part of our difference of opinion is generational.  My buds and I grew up listening to Peter Green (today, we're all in our mid 60's) and I'm supposing that you and @Blotto are younger gentlemen. 40's, perhaps?  No disrespect to SRV, (an amazing talent by anyone's standards) but my friends and I would all take Peter Green over Stevie..  The touch, the tone, the energy, the feel, the space between notes...close your eyes while you listen to Peter Green and you're back somewhere in Mississippi in the 30's.  It's just a shame that he never got the fame and fortune his level of play deserved and that so many have never heard his music.  If I've at least gotten you interested enough to listen to Peter Green, I'll take that as a win.

I agree. Great loss to the music world. 

I take no joy whatsoever in Herman Cain's death.  But there's going to be some amount of public figures dying from COVID who previously blew off the pandemic as inconsequential and/or publicly disregarded basic safety measures in the name of personal freedom.  And I'd like to think that the growing list of "we told you so" tragedies will start to sink it.  But probably not.

Edited by South Austin
I am a god, not the God.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I take no joy whatsoever in Herman Cain's death.  But there's going to be some amount of public figures dying from COVID who previously blew off the pandemic as inconsequential and/or publicly disregarded basic safety measures in the name of personal freedom.  And I'd like to think that the growing list of "we told you so" tragedies will start to sink it.  But probably not.

A relative posted about on FB (they were a fan of his, and they were also not keen on masks), and this sounds dickish on my part, but I said "look, you know he had far better access to far better healthcare than you would if you came down with it.  Maybe take a lesson from his passing and wear a mask."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

A relative posted about on FB (they were a fan of his, and they were also not keen on masks), and this sounds dickish on my part, but I said "look, you know he had far better access to far better healthcare than you would if you came down with it.  Maybe take a lesson from his passing and wear a mask."

Fairly measured and not dickish. 

• Like 1

I see no harm in using him as an example for anyone you know who believes in not wearing a mask. Dancing or pissing on his grave or taking glee in his passing seems dickish to me.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

My entire generation was on drugs, sonny.

Dont worry, kids are bringing it back.

And you're entitled to your opinion. I just think you'd be hard pressed to find many people that would agree with you. I'm not sure he cracks my top 5 of white blues guitarists - especially since his most notable work came with a group that I would hardly consider blues.