2020 Celebrity Death Pool

Wally Fairway

The year was 1978. I worked at Anaheim Stadium. Sammy Hagar and Van Halen were lead-ins for Black Sabbath and I think Boston. Van Halen stole the show. I seem to remember some parachuting at that concert, too. The Rolling Stones had a "comeback tour"  at the stadium in same year. Good times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Showing my age here... I always thought Van Halen was just the band name, didn’t know it was the name of the main guy.

I’m sure I’ll get corrected if wrong, but I think the band was started by Alex and he named it VH, and Eddie joined later. 
or did they start it together?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Always reminds me of a time at Yard Dog on South Congress during SXSW.  Langhorne Slim was playing.  I was day drinking with unpaintedhuffhines, et. al.  So I'm really not sure to this day what the hipster behind me meant when he said, "You know man?...it's really annoying when people think Langhorne Slim is the name of the band, it's not even the name of the main guy."  We were all stumped for hours on end, but the drugs and alcohol helped.  

RIP to EVH.  

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m sure I’ll get corrected if wrong, but I think the band was started by Alex and he named it VH, and Eddie joined later. 

The brothers, Mark Stone on bass, and Dave pounded the Pasadena High School beer bash party circuit first as Genesis, then Mammoth then Van Halen.  Ironically, Mark Stone, who I went to high school with (went to Jr. High with the brothers, but they went to the "alternate" high school) and lived 1/4  miles from , passed last week of cancer.  Had a lot of fun with those boys.....

Edited by otisdog
  • Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It was Mammoth for a very short time and then Roth said to name it Van Halen.  Alex and Eddie were always in it together.

original bass player 72-74(before albums and Anthony)was a guy named Mark Stone.  was 3 piece before Roth joined.  

3 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Nope...

this is from the wikipedia page. 

In 1972, the Van Halen brothers formed a band called Genesis featuring Eddie as lead vocalist/guitarist, Alex on drums, and Mark Stone on bass.

but I'm not gonna claim it is correct.  I knew the mammoth name but when Mark Stone died I looked up the page.

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude...I really can’t tell you how much I love that song. Part of the soundtrack of my childhood, and just such a great piece of music that always makes me happy.

Add this one to 2020’s shitty list.

Been using that song for a ring tone for about 6 months now.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

watched back to the future with my kids.  they didn't get the tab joke, because of course they didn't.  nobody has mentioned tab in a decade.

• Hook 'Em 1

Country legend and ‘Whiskey River’ writer Johnny Bush dies

Imagine for a moment if Johnny Bush hadn’t enjoyed his own moment of country music stardom in the late 1960s and early 1970s. And imagine if he hadn’t endured an unthinkable crisis in which his voice disappeared, and through an experimental medical procedure enjoyed an unlikely comeback as an elder statesman of Texas-based roots music decades later.

Had none of that happened . . . had he only been known as the writer of the song “Whiskey River,” Bush would be a country-music legend. As sung by Bush’s friend Willie Nelson, the song has provided the first notes, the rousing chorus and a strange celebratory ache for thousands of concerts, as Nelson made it a calling card for years of live performances.

Bush, “the Country Caruso,” who was born and raised in Houston’s Kashmere Gardens neighborhood and spent much of his adult life living and working out of San Antonio, died Friday of pneumonia at age 85. He leaves behind a remarkable body of work and a song that will not just outlive him and his friend Nelson, but the rest of us, too.

Nelson once called “Whiskey River” “ageless. You can’t sing a song every night if it’s not.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Psychic Already Sick Of Spectral James Randi Ragging On Her From Afterlife

https://entertainment.theonion.com/psychic-already-sick-of-spectral-james-randi-ragging-on-1845453086

At press time, sources from the beyond confirmed Randi had taken possession of Shanley’s body and was attempting to locate Uri Geller.

spacer.png