Fortnite Battle Royale

TKthunder2

spent the weekend having a fortnite lan party with some friends.  we landed in wailing and built this massive fort due to all the trees available for supply.  must have used atleast 3-4 thousand wood supplies on it.   the fortnite gods must have noticed as every new zone had our fort in it till there were only 2 other teams left and we still got the final circle on our fort.  when the other teams made their way to wailing... they basically just hid behind trees as there was no way they could ramp rush us.  I can only imagine what they were thinking as they ran to the circle and see this gigantic fort.  not sure they even had enough bullets to take out one side of the lower base. 

Edited by victory88

The mobile is the new hotness for middle schoolers. A few of my students realize the mobile version is crap, but everyone else is obsessed. It's very annoying as a teacher. Too many kids falling asleep in class because they play until 3am, nobody does any homework right now, I know I'm going to have multiple students fail the next report card because of that game.

17 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

The mobile is the new hotness for middle schoolers. A few of my students realize the mobile version is crap, but everyone else is obsessed. It's very annoying as a teacher. Too many kids falling asleep in class because they play until 3am, nobody does any homework right now, I know I'm going to have multiple students fail the next report card because of that game.

Priorities bro

7 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

I’m not much of a gamer but I just downloaded this on PS4 and am trying to learn it. I am fucking terrible. Can hide and kind of last until 30-40 or so but I can’t kill anyone for shit. Any tips for a fucking old man newb?

Its got a pretty steep learning curve.  I am still figuring it out.  My 12 year old son is way better than me.  Here are the things I think I know:

- In solo, its easier to get kills because no one has anyone to revive them.  I have the most luck by being sneaky and setting up ambushes with shotguns. 

- In squad / duo communication is pretty key and working together.

- You are more accurate when you squat and aim but can get stuck.

- Tilted Towers is chaos.  Almost everywhere else will allow you a little more time to figure things out.

- I have generally found that AR >> Burst Rifle.  I'd go so far to say that I would at least prefer one color decrease to burst.  Example:  Gray AR > Green Burst.

- Similarly, pump shotguns generally one shot people while tacticals do not.  However, fire rate must be considered, especially if you have bad aim.  Purple tactical and up is pretty good though.

- Same for bolt action sniper rifles vs. semi-auto.  Bolt-action is much more likely to give 1 shot, 1 kill at the expense of fire rate.

- People who are really good can build fast.  I probably just need to practice building and switching to it fast.  If you focus on your combat skills only, you won't be able to win.  I really suck at building and switching between guns quickly right now and I lose many fights because of it.

- You can knock down forts by taking out their foundations.  A lot of people build in a way that makes this easy to support with a thin base and a big top platform.

- Rockets move SLOW and are really loud.  They seem to be generally best for spamming structures.

• Like 1

After like 100 attempts, I just won my first solo victory Royale today and ended up with 6 kills.  I started arranging my guns in range order so that I could more easily swap as range to opponent changes.  I think some most of my win was a perfect storm of events, rather than skill but it was still pretty rewarding.

In a separate match I got my first trap kill, which was one of the last challenges I had left.

21 minutes ago, twosheds said:

My 7 year old was just bragging to one of his headset buddies that he had an AR with a scope. 

AR with scope shoots much slower than regular AR, but it’s a nice in between step in range towards a sniper rifle.

32 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

This game makes me feel old. I've played 10 or so matches and have yet to get a kill. These twitch kiddies put up walls faster then I can shoot.

This is how i feel. I'm sticking to overwatch because i'm too lazy to learn how to play well. 

I had the exact same experience as all of you.  I'd play match after match with no kills and then get ambushed.  It still happens some times but I've finally gotten better.  I can't build as fast as everyone else yet, but I think I've finally started to get more of the hang of the game.  It took lots and lots of matches though and I can't remember another game that took me so long to gain basic competency.

On 3/26/2018 at 10:10 AM, Dr.J said:

stealth mode is the way to go, live on the edge of the storm

Had a match the other night where I wound up inadvertently riding the storm after I got caught not paying attention (as per usual).  Running through the storm to safety, I see a purple glow in one of the ruin houses.  I'm close enough to the storm wall that the time spent to divert is worth seeing what's in there.  In and out quick-like.  Purple Scar.  I'm hauling ass out of the storm, and right where I'm about to come out is a grove of trees.  Good cover to bandage up.  I come out of the storm, and there's a dude taking cover behind that tree, engaged with another guy across the field.  

Purple Scar straight to the dome.  Booty acquired. 

I use his sniper to take a couple shots at the guy he was engaging, and then when that guy charges me I go full potato, forget to switch back to the Scar, and am swiftly executed with sniper rifle still in hand. 

How many of you guys play it on PC? I figured it would be easier to shoot/aim on PC with a mouse so I downloaded it and tried it for a few days. I've got 3 kills in like 20 matches over the past two days. I don't even attempt to build as it's hard enough just to try to move around and shoot back at a person. My son plays it on the XBOX, is it easier there?

On 3/29/2018 at 1:12 PM, Richter said:

I had the exact same experience as all of you.  I'd play match after match with no kills and then get ambushed.  It still happens some times but I've finally gotten better.  I can't build as fast as everyone else yet, but I think I've finally started to get more of the hang of the game.  It took lots and lots of matches though and I can't remember another game that took me so long to gain basic competency.

This.

I learned a few things. 1) My 13 year old is a terrible coach.  2) If you want to get better at combat, you just have to go at it. Tilted is not the place, though. Plenty of other hot spots can help you get target practice. Shotguns at close range. When your opponent is jumping around, they have to land on the ground. Patience. Bam.

I still suck, but it's pretty addictive.

Student at the school I work at was playing on his phone during lunch. He had earbuds in so he was oblivious to how loud he was talking and also when the AP got on the microphone to get students quiet for announcements.

Quiet cafeteria and all you hear is him "Give me that chug jug"...."Yeah!!! I got grenades"...."Stop jumping so I can kill you". His buddies sitting with him bust out laughing. AP gets pissed and sends him to her office.

i bought an extra xbox so i could play.  my 13 year old got me hooked.  he's a shitty coach too btw.

despite spending a shit load of hours playing, i haven't gotten any better and shooting.

i've finished 2nd a few time by camping out and collecting, but once i engage someone, i usually get killed pretty quick.

i'm going to have to sign up for a Fortnite class at ACC to learn out to shoot.

On 4/3/2018 at 10:32 PM, wild_turkey said:

Wife asked for a PS4 today because she wants to play this. I’m conflicted.

Don’t be conflicted. Buy it and get yourself MLB the Show at the same time. Win/win.

• Like 1

Finally got my first kill.  Hid in a bush on the top of a hill and watched 3 players go down to 1 and the storm forced the remaining guy to build a ramp up to my spot and I got him with a shotgun 2 feet from me.

I had crap weapons, Gray AR and Green shotgun, so I run to the next town on the edge of the circle, heard a chest and got killed by a trap.

Edited by TexasEd

TexasEd, have you played the Explosives only mode? A ton of fun in my option and a great opportunity to get kills. You can also die very quickly.

I agree that this is the best option for beginners. It allows you to get your bearings in the game a little bit and is much more forgiving in terms of being able to get Quick kills. Just make sure that you hide yourself a little bit, or else you’ll die superfast