Fortnite Battle Royale

TKthunder2

My 8 year old is getting pretty good with his first solo win yesterday.  But he woke up this morning telling me about nightmares of clowns breaking into our house and killing me, so I'm going to unplug that shit for a few days.

• Haha 1

Play 50v50 for the first time in awhile today.  Get some good loot early and ran towards the circle.  I throw my buildafort deal and hop in with an epic sniper rifle.  Another player joins me and for a good 7 minutes we're watching the battle below us and picking people off.  I have no idea why no one returned the sniper fire, but this other player and I are unloading on people.  

Finally, the storm shrinks and I get set to move.  I turn to make sure she's joining me and for the first time I realize the other player was on the other team.  We'd been fighting side by side the entire time for damn near 10 minutes.  I put about 87 bullets in her from a foot away.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

when i get a sniper early on in 50v50 i like to find a far off spot by myself with minimal building around me.  maybe on the 2nd floor of a house but inside.  and i just watch the action and pick people off, help my guys who are in firefights.  probably my favorite aspect of the game.  rarely can you get multiple sniping opportunities in solo.

• 2 weeks later...

My son likes the skins and the emotes more than he likes playing the game.  I was watching him play the "5 teams of 20" mode last night.  His group (all strangers) were in a house busting things up and grabbing loot.  My son gets in the middle and starts to dance.  His teammates all start throwing up ace cards and thumbs up, so he keeps going and they keep watching.  This goes on for several minutes until the storm rockets through the house and they all start running around like they're insane.  2 of them die in the storm because they wanted to watch my son do the same dances that they've all seen 100 times.  Kids, man. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 12:43 PM, frog said:

Play 50v50 for the first time in awhile today.  Get some good loot early and ran towards the circle.  I throw my buildafort deal and hop in with an epic sniper rifle.  Another player joins me and for a good 7 minutes we're watching the battle below us and picking people off.  I have no idea why no one returned the sniper fire, but this other player and I are unloading on people.  

Finally, the storm shrinks and I get set to move.  I turn to make sure she's joining me and for the first time I realize the other player was on the other team.  We'd been fighting side by side the entire time for damn near 10 minutes.  I put about 87 bullets in her from a foot away.  

Damn, what a great love story. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Y'all play on Xbox or PS? 

I have both, thinking about going back to PS.  The lag on my Xbox after Season 5 is unbearable.

Yesterday I got into some bourbon and played the ridiculous 50v50 squads. Both sides had built up forts and nothing was happening, and I was out of ammo so I launched over into enemy territory, accidentally landed right in a fort next to 4 bad guys, and before they could figure out what the fuck was going on I hit all four of them with Clingers and wiped out the entire room.

Of course, I killed myself in the process, but who gives a shit. Kamikaze bitches.  This game is so stupid yet fun.

• 3 weeks later...

The Fortnite Summer Skirmish competitive event wrapped up on Monday. Watched some of it on Twitch with my son, it was pretty entertaining, although the way these guys play makes it seem like a completely different game that what I play (because I suck).

The winner took home $250K. Over 500,000 watched live on Twitch.

http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/24579592/epic-games-caps-fortnite-summer-just-way-wanted

On 8/16/2018 at 2:56 PM, TornACL said:

The new 50v50 squads game is trash.

Which one? 

Soaring or Solid Gold? 

For whatever reason I play mostly 50 v 50 but need to just do solo for awhile to get better at killing. 

I had never heard of this game until my twins game home from one of their friends house last year. It amazes me that some parents just let their kids play this shit 24/7. Mine can't play without me in the room and now I am the guy in this video- 

Soaring 50v50 is back.

Also have the new Getaway Mode - your squad has to find a jewel and make it to an escape van. Or you can hi-jack the squad that has the jewel and then head for the van. There are 4 jewels on the map, so 4 squads can win per match. My son and I tried to play it last night, but the lag was so bad it was unplayable.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't like or play Fortnite but I thought this was interesting. Epic Games declaring war on Apple and Google's app store:

They did an update yesterday which allowed you to buy items directly from inside the app instead of via Apple and Google's mobile marketplaces. Which was 20% cheaper (the amount of each app takes as a cut of every sale) So Apple and Google dropped them from their app stores. They already had a  65-page anti-trust lawsuit queued up for suing them, so immediately after getting the the boot, they sued both parties.

Edited by MillerEP

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

How many of the players even get the 1984 reference?

Lol, probably close to 0.

More on it: https://gizmodo.com/fortnite-may-have-just-laid-the-perfect-antitrust-trap-1844714297?rev=1597347199045

NEWS
Fortnite May Have Just Laid the Perfect Antitrust Trap for Apple—and They Fell For It [Another Update: Google Just Kicked Fortnite Out of Its App Store, Too]
Joanna Nelius Yesterday 3:33PM

Everyone is mad about Apple’s App Store guidelines right now, especially when it comes to cloud gaming services. Microsoft isn’t bringing Project xCloud to iOS. Google’s Stadia app can’t let iPhone users actually play games. Facebook also had to axe the ability to play games for its Facebook Gaming iOS app to be allowed in the App Store. And that doesn’t even take into account the number of smaller, non-gaming app developers who have had their apps kicked out of the App Store after seemingly arbitrary enforcement of Apple’s guidelines. But Fortnite developer Epic Games took a bold step toward telling Apple what it thinks of the company’s App Store policies, possibly attempting a loophole to get around things. Fortnite has now been kicked out of both Apple and Google’s stores, and Epic is now suing Apple.

Yesterday, Epic Games introduced the ability to pay the company directly for V-Bucks in the Fortnite app on the App Store and in Google Play store for Android, bypassing the in-app payment methods in both apps. On top of that, Epic Games is giving users a 20% discount for using the direct payment method. According to Apple, in a statement to the Verge, this is in violation of App Store guidelines, which states that apps offering in-game currency for real money cannot use a direct payment method.

3.1.1 In-App Purchase:

If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc. Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase.

Before removal, a screenshot of the Fornite app on iOS clearly showed that users have the option to either purchase V-bucks through the App Store or send a direct payment to Epic Games.

“Today, we’re also introducing a new way to pay on iOS and Android: Epic direct payment. When you choose to use Epic direct payments, you save up to 20% as Epic passes along payment processing savings to you,” Epic Games announced in a press release this morning.

rspnkr8m877mdpwia6sm.jpg

Google’s policies also seem to prevent developers from using anything but an in-app payment system.

In-app purchases:

Developers offering products within a game downloaded on Google Play or providing access to game content must use Google Play In-app Billing as the method of payment.

Epic Games pointed out that both Apple and Google collect a 30% fee, and that if users choose to pay through either store’s app they will not benefit from the 20% discount—hence the lower price on the direct payment option.

“If Apple or Google lower their fees on payments in the future, Epic will pass along the savings to you.”

Damn, Epic. Shots fired.

Apple swiftly responded, providing a statement to The Verge (bolded is our added emphasis):

Today, Epic Games took the unfortunate step of violating the App Store guidelines that are applied equally to every developer and designed to keep the store safe for our users. As a result their Fortnite app has been removed from the store. Epic enabled a feature in its app which was not reviewed or approved by Apple, and they did so with the express intent of violating the App Store guidelines regarding in-app payments that apply to every developer who sells digital goods or services.

Epic has had apps on the App Store for a decade, and have benefited from the App Store ecosystem - including its tools, testing, and distribution that Apple provides to all developers. Epic agreed to the App Store terms and guidelines freely and we’re glad they’ve built such a successful business on the App Store. The fact that their business interests now lead them to push for a special arrangement does not change the fact that these guidelines create a level playing field for all developers and make the store safe for all users. We will make every effort to work with Epic to resolve these violations so they can return Fortnite to the App Store.

The problem for Apple is that both it and Google have policies related to purchases that are consumed outside of their respective app stores. Both allow users to make payments outside of the app.

Apple’s policy:

3.1.5(a) Goods and Services Outside of the App: If your app enables people to purchase goods or services that will be consumed outside of the app, you must use purchase methods other than in-app purchase to collect those payments, such as Apple Pay or traditional credit card entry.

Google’s policy:

Developers offering products within another category of app downloaded on Google Play must use Google Play In-app Billing as the method of payment, except for the following cases:

Payment is solely for physical products

Payment is for digital content that may be consumed outside of the app itself (e.g. songs that can be played on other music players).

In-app virtual currencies must only be used within the app or game title for which they were purchased.

Fortnite is available on multiple platforms: PC, Mac, Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, Android, and iOS, and users can link their profiles together so they can play with the same account across all platforms. This means that someone could purchase V-Bucks through the Android and iOS apps and spend them at a later date from their console or PC. So technically those users appear to be purchasing “goods or services” that can be consumed outside of the app.

That explain why users can, for instance, purchase books through Amazon’s Kindle app on Google Play without having to go through Google Play In-app Billing. Those books can be read on a Kindle device, and they’re digital content, so that means they can be “consumed outside of the app itself.” Google Stadia on the App Store is another example, since it doesn’t require an in-app payment method. Apple doesn’t allow users to play Stadia games on iOS, so they have to play, or “consume” games outside of the app.

It seems like Apple may have just violated its own guidelines that allow users to pay for goods to be consumed outside of the app by removing Fortnite from its store, but we’re guessing Apple doesn’t care. Hours after Apple booted the game from the App Store, Google did the same. You can no longer download Fortnite from Google Play, but you can side-load the app by installing it directly from Epic’s website or, if you own a Samsung device, from’s Samsung’s Galaxy Store.

We’ve reached out to Apple, Google, and Epic Games for comment and will report back as soon as we learn more. If you have any inside knowledge about Epic Games’ strategy with this move, or if you’re a developer who has had a similar experience dealing with the Google Play or Apple App Store teams, email me at jnelius@gizmodo.com or joannanelius@protonmail.com, or contact us anonymously via SecureDrop.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 11:49 AM, blacklab said:

They've always played that.

Call of Duty, fall guys and the star wars games (battlefront/squadrons/jedi fallen order) have gotten the most usage on the playstation

I don't get why older kids (like over 10) like roblox. I can get fortnite. 

My 11.5 year old is still going strong on fortnite, but I dont let him play COD. 

• 2 years later...

I just played all afternoon with my boys. Evidently they have some new stuff that makes it fun for them. I suck but it is fun getting waxed by some 10 year old kid. 

Ended the night with a win running duo with my youngest who plays just like me. Fuckit, leeeerrrooooyyyy Jenkins. Fun times 

• Hook 'Em 1

I still play some with my sons and nephew. We got a squad win earlier today and it's still pretty damn exciting when everyone is in the same room grinding for the W.

The new Lego mode they added is not for me, but my younger son and his cousin love it. It's basically Minecraft but your character is a lego version of the skins you already have. They stayed up late last night building a massive castle together.

I played all morning with my kids and we went on a 4 win streak before I had to stop to do stuff around the casa. Really it is my oldest that wins. He is a one man wrecking crew. I turn around and he has built 14 stories up shooting at someone half way across the map. He get 15 kills and I get two on bots. Oh well, still had fun.

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2024 at 1:44 PM, CoTex said:

I played all weekend and shot the shit out of many of your children, with everything from a sniper rifle to the thunderbolt of Zeus.

You're welcome.

How’s the new map and chapter? I haven’t had a chance to even log on and play since it flipped 

40 minutes ago, Js1 said:

How’s the new map and chapter? I haven’t had a chance to even log on and play since it flipped 

Same shit, different characters.

I don’t really get into the storyline. I just like to shoot.

• Like 1