Sell. Me. A Mattress.

13 hours ago, boknowstecmo said:

My mattress is old and misshapen and I need to get a new one. I was told to get one with a gel foam top because I am a hot sleeper. Anyone have experience buying from Slumber Solutions? I'm mostly interested because it's on sale. 

Slumber Solutions Gel Memory Foam from Overstock

If possible, look at the novaform pearl at Costco... That's what we'd go with if player 2 didn't hate all foam. 

Highly rated on CR, and a good price. Different firmness available. 

Edited by NWBuck

9 hours ago, NWBuck said:

If possible, look at the novaform pearl at Costco... That's what we'd go with if player 2 didn't hate all foam. 

Highly rated on CR, and a good price. Different firmness available. 

I've been on Shaggy/Surly too long because I read your post and thought, "Why are people rating mattresses in the Cloak Room?"

Thanks for the rec. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I think we're going to pull the trigger on a Tuft & Needle Mint Mattress. 100 nights guarantee and the one we laid on at Northpark Mall was pretty nice. 

i Like ours but wife likes something softer. They did send a free pillow top but now my back hurts again. I think I might have to go with a sleep number so that I can keep my side firmer.

How is this going? We purchased as well, ended up “saving” $3500. Delivery is March 3rd.  

We are really happy with it. I had to start over to find my setting. Started with 95 and have adjusted down. I think I’m at 65 or 70. I like a really firm bed to sleep on. I like to lounge / watch TV at 30.

We are really happy with it. I had to start over to find my setting. Started with 95 and have adjusted down. I think I’m at 65 or 70. I like a really firm bed to sleep on. I like to lounge / watch TV at 30.

I know I’m getting some when wifey cranks both sides up to 100
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 11:56 AM, fattyflattie said:

It’s firm and fucking awesome. Worst move I made was spending the last year in my deteriorating pillowtop. Best was ordering my current Costco memory foam. It’s very firm, wife thought she’d hate that but it’s been fantastic. Around $1000 iirc for a king. 

Ahem.  Neither the wife or I can get any sleep. Body aching. Added a little topper and it helped some but it’s just getting to the point where no one gets any rest.  Need some help. I’d guess my review above was good for 12-ish months before quality sleep started to deteriorate. 

Looks like I'm in the market now. We've had a sleep number for about 10+ years. Whole different market out there now. Don't think that I want to go sleep # again. It was fine, but too pricey. Nectar, Layla& Loom/leaf foams rate highly. Saatva classic also rates high.Anybody have experience with these brands?

Looks like I'm in the market now. We've had a sleep number for about 10+ years. Whole different market out there now. Don't think that I want to go sleep # again. It was fine, but too pricey. Nectar, Layla& Loom/leaf foams rate highly. Saatva classic also rates high.Anybody have experience with these brands?
I had shit mattresses for years. The Purple Mattress (the one that is springs/foam/and purple goo) I think it's the Purple 3. It's their pricey one, but it's the first time I have looked forward to going to sleep on a mattress since college...I see now they have changed their branding/names..but they are the same mattresses...I think I have the hybrid 3"...that's what she said.

It seems too simple, but that lattice purple stuff is great...but if the industry can make us think plain old foam is fancy, then the purple crap works too. And really helps with heat...foam-only mattresses are hotboxes for me.

They are in some mattress stores if you want to go try them out. Ignore the cheesy frame that lifts and vibrates. Just because it doesn't take quarters, doesn't make it a good idea.

On 5/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, TexMex Horn said:

I have the Saatva and I like it quite a bit. I had the Nectar for a year and swapped it out. It was fine, but the Saatva is nicer.

On 5/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, DCLonghorn said:

I had shit mattresses for years. The Purple Mattress (the one that is springs/foam/and purple goo) I think it's the Purple 3. It's their pricey one, but it's the first time I have looked forward to going to sleep on a mattress since college...I see now they have changed their branding/names..but they are the same mattresses...I think I have the hybrid 3"...that's what she said.

It seems too simple, but that lattice purple stuff is great...but if the industry can make us think plain old foam is fancy, then the purple crap works too. And really helps with heat...foam-only mattresses are hotboxes for me.

They are in some mattress stores if you want to go try them out. Ignore the cheesy frame that lifts and vibrates. Just because it doesn't take quarters, doesn't make it a good idea.

Another +1 for Purple 3. Wife and I tried out a bunch of the popular online bed-in-a-boxes, returned them all. Purple 3 is so much better.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 7:56 AM, mdmost said:

Enjoying our Tuft and Needle Mint Mattress so far. Not waking up with back pain is rather nice. Got the nice pillow and my wife stole it from me so I had to order a 2nd one which is less full feeling than the original one. Women. 

this still the case?  im in the market and read some reviews that the mint was pretty hot.  still enjoying it?

18 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

this still the case?  im in the market and read some reviews that the mint was pretty hot.  still enjoying it?

We had to get the padded topper for it because the regular bed was too hard for me and I was waking up with shoulder and hip pain. It’s improved a lot since we added that and I sleep pretty good. We keep the A/C pretty cold at night so I haven’t noticed feeling hot. I think the hybrid is supposed to be less hot.

Edited by mdmost

Purple Hybrid 3" grid.  Bought about 45 days ago.  I sleep more comfortably.  Cooler, for sure- no waking up sweaty like I used to.

It was worth it, IMHO.  Now to see if holds up for 10 years like they promise.

Their sheets( freebies) are weird as hell to me.  They are all stretchy and almost latexy( not quite,  but work with me here.)  When you pull the covers up to cover your shoulders, the sheets always want to shoot back down range.  I just wonder, "Who thought stretchy sheets would be great?"

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Lol I went to a mattress store once and the sales girl showed my a Tempurpedic that cost $12k.

Then, straight faced, tried to convince me to finance it like car.

I think ours was over $3k, but worth it.

well think about...they last 8 years.  It's perfectly logical...

Edited by slorch

I've had my Tempurpedic hybrid for 6 months now. We really like it, doesn't get too hot and it's just the right mix of support and comfort. I didn't want to spend $3600 but I don't have any regrets thus far.

That’s fair. But have you weighed it?

• 2 weeks later...

We need a new mattress.  My wife needs firm or better.  I don't care, I can sleep on anything from foam rubber to rocks.

If we just get a typical innerspring mattress,  is there some particular feature we need to be looking for?  Our current mattress is about 13" thick.  It looks like CostCo has at least 2 Sealy models that are similar, $400 and $570, and a Novaform memory foam model for $600.  Is a "firm" memory foam mattress actually firm?  What is the likely difference between the two Sealy mattresses?

Will CostCo haul off the old mattress?

On 9/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, jimmyjazz said:

We need a new mattress.  My wife needs firm or better.  I don't care, I can sleep on anything from foam rubber to rocks.

If we just get a typical innerspring mattress,  is there some particular feature we need to be looking for?  Our current mattress is about 13" thick.  It looks like CostCo has at least 2 Sealy models that are similar, $400 and $570, and a Novaform memory foam model for $600.  Is a "firm" memory foam mattress actually firm?  What is the likely difference between the two Sealy mattresses?

Will CostCo haul off the old mattress?

not suggesting a specific one but look at Consumer Reports for general across the board "firmness" ratings.

Also, CostCo and Sams Club have extended warranties on their mattresses (Sams I know about specifically) that are no questions asked exchanges

Bought a Tempurpedic four years ago and regret it.  I completely fell for the "60=90 day break in period" before you sleep better than ever. Mine has felt the same since day 1 and its not good to me.  I also regret not returning it during their "no hassle money-back guarantee period"... minus the very, very fine print, return & stock fee of  $1500.  I fell for all the people I knew that raved about theirs.  I'm convinced they feel just as sorry as I do but are trying to convince themselves that they weren't suckers too cause now they are all talking about their new beds they just got to replace it and how much better they are...

I probably expected too much from a $6K bed? Well, definitely.

Most comfortable beds for me have all been in the $300-400 range. I wish I would have just done that and replaced every couple years as needed... would have come out thousands ahead.  Never again.

My message is to try a bed out in the showroom for a half hour if your are really thinking of buying it.  If you have ANY reservation.. DON'T.

• 2 months later...

About 6-9 months ago we bought a nice Sterns and Foster for about 3k (iirc).   We traded it in about 3 weeks later for a Purple 4.  I can say after who knows how many years now that I get legitimately “great sleep”.  I wake up refreshed and body is not sore.  I just did a project out of state for a few months (hotel living) and didn’t realize just how much better my mattress is.   Their pillow is also very highly recommended (by me). I think about 50% of my pain over the last several years was from the pillow itself, and I’m very happy to have sorted that out (it seems).  So far, we are loving the mattress. Did get the adjustable base too but wife only uses it to watch TV.   I’m curious as to how long it will last because it’s definitely pricey, but as far as sleep goes, it’s been tremendous.  

note - it has a funny feel to it until you get used to it. Like you are floating on something. 

• Like 1

I'm thinking of buying a Purple. Unsure which model.
TL;DR - all in on Purple

We went with Purple. After almost 2 years, still love it. Every time I post here, Purple changes their model names so I'm unsure which of the current two Purple hybrids I have. But I have one that has coils and foam and purple mystery lattice crap.

Still love the mattress. No complaints. I decided to go with the hybrid assuming coils underneath would help with longevity.

My only note, which is minor, where the sleeping surface meets the side part of the mattress, is slightly seperating. So the purple stuff which is about two inches in is a half an inch taller than the siding. The siding has settled a bit or the purple stuff has come a bit loose. It's no big deal at all, but the only feedback I have after two years of really enjoying this thing.

We also have purple sheets, and a couple of their different pillows. Happy with all. I really like the stretchy sheets, but others above didn't dig it.

We have the earlier Purple sheets and the newer softstretch sheets. Newer ones are better and seem to hold up longer.

The more recent pillow, currently names Purple Harmony, that is made of purple magic stuff but is still in the normal shape of a pillow is better than the earlier model they still sell that is more flat.

Update:

Purple Hybrid Premier = Purple 3 or 4

Purple Hybrid = Purple 2...this is the model we have.

Difference is the height of the magic purple crap in inches. 2 is firmest, 4 is softest.

Purple Mattress = original....no coils with 2 inch goo.

@DCLonghorn that’s what I vaguely recall.  We got the “softest” one because wife’s preference but it has not given me any back pain, so all has been good.  The pillow I have is a perfectly flat rectangle. My only complaint is I wish it was 1-1.5” taller.  At that point, besides weighing 15#, it would be perfect.   But the entire kit has completely transformed my sleep. Feels good, feeling good again.  

• 1 month later...