Sell. Me. A Mattress.

46 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it took about a month and a half before i was comfortable on my sleep innovations.  i felt like it was really stiff underneath the top layer when i first got it.   it's either broken in a bit or i've just gotten used to it. 

if you're in the area, looks like houston furniture bank has started accepting mattresses for recycling again following harvey.  $25 donation required for pick up. 

Thanks.  I don't suppose anyone knows if "recycled" mattresses are every actually recycled? I'd pay a fee for that, if it's actually not going into a landfill.

I live in Cedar Park and they'll actually pick up mattresses as bulky collection, and they allow 7 pieces of bulky collection items every single week, so it'll be easy enough to dispose of.  But if there's an option to keep it out of a landfill then I'd have no problem doing that.

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Thanks.  I don't suppose anyone knows if "recycled" mattresses are every actually recycled? I'd pay a fee for that, if it's actually not going into a landfill.

I live in Cedar Park and they'll actually pick up mattresses as bulky collection, and they allow 7 pieces of bulky collection items every single week, so it'll be easy enough to dispose of.  But if there's an option to keep it out of a landfill then I'd have no problem doing that.

per their site, if it's not in re-usable condition, houston furniture bank strips it into constituent parts, which can then be recycled.  steel frame is recyclable, cotton is recyclable, etc.

i'd imagine there's a place in austin that does the same.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Random thoughts -

I think sleeplikethedead.com is the best resource for reviews and comparisons.  You can see why people like particular types of mattresses, in detail.

Try US-Mattress.com for traditional mattresses.  They have a twice-yearly sale where you can get the mattresses selling at those ripoff mattress stores for 60% or so off.

I have a Tempurpedic.  It's OK, but hotter than I like.  Also have a Simmons Beautyrest Black Somethingorother.  Both are about the same firmness (firm but not extra firm) but the Simmons is cooler.

I don't think the non-spring memory foam mattresses are any great thing, honestly.  I especially don't like the way most of those online-direct mattresses don't have a firm edge - the ones that come in the impossibly small box and then expand.  They just feel strange to me that there's no edge to them.  I tried a Casper and a Leesa and thought they both felt cheap. 

I've sat on but not slept on a Purple - it's a weird feeling - you notice the gaps in the structure touching it.  Not sure how it would be to sleep on, but I bet it's not as hot.

It's a different feeling for sure, but it's not like it has zero edge, it's just not as "sharp" as an innerspring.  We have a king size and I'm not Andre the Giant so it's easy enough to stay off the edge while sleeping anyway.  I'm replacing a Simmons Beautyrest that was the "W Hotels" version I bought when they overstocked many years ago.  If felt great for the first 5 years or so, after that it deteriorated pretty quickly.  It was no cooler nor warmer than the foam Tuft & Needle I just bought so that works out for me.

I have my own concerns about long term durability, but the Simmons I just replaced, plus the Stearns and Foster I had before that, weren't particularly long-lived, so I guess if it lasts 5 years at 1/2 or 1/4 the price, then I'm doing ok.

Typically no.  The foam ones, you want on a platform.

Someone mentioned something about getting used to one of the firmer beds vs it breaking in - I have a Costco foam bed from a couple years back that was really firm when I first got it, it definitely broke in.  I've flipped it once, should probably flip it again - it's still firm, but not as firm.  I'm still quite happy with it, and definitely enjoy sleeping back at home whenever I spend some time away.

When I bought a new mattress, I had done a bunch of research and realized I preferred a softer mattress. I wanted something similar to memory foam but slept cooler. I ended up deciding on going with a latex mattress (no dust mites, faster acting foam so you don't have that memory foam sinking feeling, much cooler sleep because air can freely move throughout the mattress) and went to a local latex foam manufacturer. On site they had 8 different beds, each with different firmness/softness and I ended up telling them which I liked best.

They then took 1 week to make a new mattress and delivery to my house. Overall, it was probably 20% more expensive than buying a mattress online from Casper or the equivalent, but I got exactly what I wanted. I couldn't be happier, and what's nice is latex doesn't settle like other mattresses. No need to flip it ever.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, utee94 said:

Wife posted our address on Nextdoor with a message that there's a free used queen-sized mattress on our front porch, first-come, first-served, and it was gone in two hours.

• 3 weeks later...

A mentor of mine worked 35 years at Dow and one of his major product lines he managed engineering/production of was porous PU and PE foams used in bedding. He actually still consults for a spin-off company that supplies foam sheets of different density and porosity to most of the US mattress manufacturers. The mattress company often is the one who trims it down and glues together the different layers. 

His take was that just as important as the mattress is design is the quality control of the manufacturer. When you pay for a Tempurpedic, Sealy, Simmons, etc. you are paying for quality in performance and consistency from one mattress off the line to the next. He said the cheaper the mattress, the less of a fuck they give in QC. Every quarter, they go on Amazon, Costco.com, and other sites and buy two or three mattresses of each competitor and rip them open. The most uphauling were any of the ones from China. The foam layer designs are often not what is being advertised, and often two mattresses of the same type will be different internally. China also doesn’t give two shits about use of formaldehyde and other chemicals that leach out of the mattress over months. They are industrious bastards though, and have various ways of flooding sites like Amazon with over 1000 fake reviews and hire “english speakers” to have fake accounts to answer questions on there like they are also satisfied customers. If it doesn’t say Made in the USA and/or it costs less than $500 for a king size, it is most likely from China. 

Casper is hit and miss in quality, according to my friend, but generally a good product. When you get into their higher end stuff, you should consider a lower price Sealy or Simmons foam mattress instead. Tuft and Needle has been impressive in their young life as a company but don’t have a very innovative design, just consistent at what they make. 

These “100 night refunds” and such became necessary because it was not unusual to receive a defective mattress. A problem is most consumers aren’t mattress experts and wouldn’t know it was defective. For the <5% of people that actually want a replacement or refund, the company does it without a fuss because their margins are ridiculous.  

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

We have had a Casper and now a Tempurpedic and I have decided that I don't like memory foam mattresses.  The Tempurpedic is the better of the two, but I miss having a pillow top with springs.

We went with a hybrid from Brooklyn Bedding - different layers of foam on top with individually pocketed 6" springs.  The bed is comfortable, but sleeps a little hotter than our previous mattress.  Doesn't have the same movement isolation as the full foam mattresses, but springs are nice for extracurricular activities.  (insert jokes here)

Queen size was around $750.  I was pleasantly surprised when it arrive with two pillows and a sheet set thrown it at no charge (was not an advertised perk like a couple other mattress companies have).  We'll give it another month or so to make the final decision, but we'll likely keep it since no real negatives have arisen.

We use a Tempurpedic Cloud Breeze and we both love it, but it was expensive and I'm not sure I'd do that again with all the new memory foam options available.

We needed a new mattress for a guest bedroom. Got this Zinus queen memory foam off Amazon for $239.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q7EPSHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wasn't expecting much but it's actually quite comfortable and the quality seems good. No idea how well it will hold up but it's a guest room that will get used < 20 nights a year.

We didn't have a good way to get rid of the old spring mattress. I put it on craigslist for free and someone picked it up right away. Never underestimate people's willingness to haul off your old stuff when it's advertised as free.

• 3 weeks later...

Sleep Number(one of the higher end models). Cost around 2K

really happy with it.  Been set at 55 for about 2 years.

biggest thing to me was being able to “dial in” firmness.  Took a bit of getting used to with different settings for wife and me, but now we don’t notice, even during sexy time.  In fact some of the “angles” between the two sides end up as “support” for certain positions. Sorfy for TMI, but one of the common reviews was the difference hindered others. YMMV

Edited by Incredulity

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, Tailgate said:

Been on a Casper for three-plus years and it’s starting to feel a bit ‘worn out.’ I’m curious too if anyone has had a chance to try their new one.

We've been on the new one (their middle of the road model, the Casper) for about 2 weeks. It was redesigned this year with a firmer foam in the middle section for lumbar support, while keeping a softer foam on the ends so side sleepers can have comfortable shoulder sink. My wife loves it, I have mixed feelings. That dichotomy of foam densities takes some getting used to, it's an odd feeling at first to have different foams at different parts of the body. Lying on your back, it makes you feel like your hips/ass are raised way up. It's not uncomfortable, it just takes an adjustment period. The back and shoulder pain I used to wake up with every morning with my old spring mattress is completely gone though.

We just ordered a foam.  Goes against my ethos but whatever.  Feels wrong to pay $$ for literally a slab of foam with a few slashes and holes in it cut for show.  At least with coiled spring you can clearly see the manufacturing cost.  But then again, we got one of the firmest ones at the store and it did feel substantially different from all the other models - spring and foam - and in a good way

• 2 weeks later...

Have had my Purple for a little bit over a year. I actually think it’s pretty comfortable and definitely cool, but for the last 2-3 months I’ve been waking up with ridiculous stiffness in my back. Slept at a Ritz recently for 3 nights. No problems. I then remembered that hotels actually sell their beds so you can have the same “experience” at home. 

Called up my local Four Seasons here in Houston and the spa gave me a price list. 3k all in for a king with box springs and topper. Thinking about pulling the trigger. Anyone have any experience going this route?

Edited by Fat Bastard

• 1 year later...

Happy new year bump- Any of you degenrates have additional insights (new mattresses, reviews of your purchase after a while, recommendations from your goomah, what have you)?

And feel free to make comments about my mom's bed- she's been dead two years now, so I'm sure it's low mileage.

2 hours ago, NWBuck said:

Happy new year bump- Any of you degenerates have additional insights (new mattresses, reviews of your purchase after a while, recommendations from your goomah, what have you)?

And feel free to make comments about my mom's bed- she's been dead two years now, so I'm sure it's low mileage.

I will add that player 2 is not a fan of the "all foam" models... so, probably a hybrid or something similar (although purple seems an intriguing option)

We bought an all latex foam mattress about 10 years ago online from Sleep EZ. A decade in, it really has been great. You mentioned not liking all foam, but this has been so much better than an inner spring mattress. It doesn't move or bounce around and we don't have any of that memory foam, so there's no squish to it. Just consistent, comfortable support throughout. We have a king, so we could have customized the two sides with different levels of firmness (still could if we wanted to swap some layers) but the default has been good for back or side sleeping. There's also been no breakdown or indentation of the mattress, so I honestly think we'll get at least another 10 years out of it. My wife is one to tear through and destroy consumer goods (clothes, sofas, tables, appliances, cars, etc.) so it really is impressive that this mattress is going strong after a decade in our house.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fuggled said:

We bought an all latex foam mattress about 10 years ago online from Sleep EZ. A decade in, it really has been great. You mentioned not liking all foam, but this has been so much better than an inner spring mattress. It doesn't move or bounce around and we don't have any of that memory foam, so there's no squish to it. Just consistent, comfortable support throughout. We have a king, so we could have customized the two sides with different levels of firmness (still could if we wanted to swap some layers) but the default has been good for back or side sleeping. There's also been no breakdown or indentation of the mattress, so I honestly think we'll get at least another 10 years out of it. My wife is one to tear through and destroy consumer goods (clothes, sofas, tables, appliances, cars, etc.) so it really is impressive that this mattress is going strong after a decade in our house.

A) nice humblebrag about your wife tearing it up in bed.

B) that's a good consideration about latex... I've read similar things to what you describe, although the salesman I've used to work has left the field.

My wife and I went to check out the purple bed today. I really like it but the reviews are giving me pause. Many folks say it's good for a year, then it goes to shit. My current mattress is only 3.5 years old and it's got big (IMO) indentions in the top. It has a 25 year warranty, so I called the furniture store and they sent me the claim forms. I'm 99% sure they're gonna tell me it's not bad enough to qualify for replacement. 

We went from a plush euro pillow top to a Tuft and Needle Mint and it was too hard at first. It has some of the characteristics of the pillow top but not enough. We were going to send it back, but they sent us their $200 memory foam topper for free which has been great. Still can feel the mattress breaking in more as we go and I am pretty sure we will now keep it. 100 day trial and their service has been better than I could have imagined. Looked at Nectar and liked the way it felt but their service is awful and not worth the time. 

Any opinions on sleep numbers?

We’re on our second (#1 was original model). My wife loves it, I’ve slept on better(and also on a lot worse). It is nice to be able to adjust my side if I’m sore from the olds and they have come a long way—no more dip in the middle like the old ones, seem to provide better overall support. Had it for a few years now and it’s just like it was when new.

Wait for them to go on sale though.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Flg8rfan said:

We’re on our second (#1 was original model). My wife loves it, I’ve slept on better(and also on a lot worse). It is nice to be able to adjust my side if I’m sore from the olds and they have come a long way—no more dip in the middle like the old ones, seem to provide better overall support. Had it for a few years now and it’s just like it was when new.

Wait for them to go on sale though.

We have one. It was one of the more expensive models, but it’s really comfy. And my wife loves it, which means no more bitching about how uncomfortable the bed is.

I guess what I’m saying is buy whatever your wife wants and pray she likes it (in fact, that’s just good advice generally).

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 10:45 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I have to give some props on the Bamboo pillow.  Much better than I had anticipated.  

I bought a buckwheat husk large pillow about 6months ago and absolutely love it.  Most foam pillows get too warm at night for me.  They also push back trying to get to their original shape and I would wake up with a sore neck.  The husk pillow doesnt collapse completely, doesnt push pack and doesnt get uncomfortably warm throughout the night.  

I bought a small husk pillow around 1999 and loved it.  It did great during my tours in Iraq. Iraq is not a place where you need unnecessary heat during the night.  When I saw a regular (queen) size husk pillow online for $40, I bought it and will likely buy another. 

On 1/13/2020 at 8:01 PM, fuggled said:

similar story: I bought a Denver mattress pillow top about 10 years.  It got warm when the A/C went out but overall, it's been a really good mattress and still looks and feels real good.  I will be moving into a new home soon and I'm willing to try out a couple of different brands.  The brands I like less, will end up in the guest rooms

On 1/13/2020 at 4:17 PM, NWBuck said:

Happy new year bump- Any of you degenrates have additional insights (new mattresses, reviews of your purchase after a while, recommendations from your goomah, what have you)?

We bought the Costco one recommended on here or scat site and it was good for a year, and has sucked balls since.  Think we are 18-24 months in at this point. We added a 2” topper and its made it bearable for the time being. Guess it’s time to spend a few grand.  I haven’t had a good bed or pillow at home for years now. Need to rectify that, it’s getting to a point that I’m getting too old to be getting such piss poor sleep.