Sell. Me. A Mattress.

I couldn't be more frustrated.  

Have been to a couple of mattress stores and I felt like I was dealing with used car salesmen.  The second one, the guy pulled out his cell phone, started dialing, and insisted that I talk to his manager.  I literally told him to fuck off and walked out.

Have been looking online lately (Amazon) and noticed a lot of mattresses that are marked down by 60%.  And then over a course of a week, I noticed that one of the mattresses I had looked at for $375 regular price was later marked up to $900 and then offered "for sale" for $375.  

Sell.  Me.  A Mattress.

Help?  Advice?  Recommendations?

This thread on the other board was helpful with recommendations of online beds.  I really like the idea of try before you buy. 

I hate mattress stores - no way to compare apples to apples, no way to really determine the right bed, and salesmen are worst the car salesmen.

9 hours ago, tjhooker said:

I bought the Purple bed online. Liked how cool it slept was too firm. Returned for free at 90 days and bought a Layla bed and love it. Very soft. I'm a side sleeper so it is perfect. Also, a little cheaper than the Purple. Don't get me wrong. The purple bed was comfortable but too stiff. 

How does it work for returning a whole damn mattress?  Does someone come to your house and pack it up?

1 hour ago, Chuychanga said:

Some of the amazon mattresses just tell you to call salvation army to pick it up if you're getting a refund.  I want to know more about the memory foam mattresses at costco.  Like your mom, I'm looking for something firm.  

It’s firm and fucking awesome. Worst move I made was spending the last year in my deteriorating pillowtop. Best was ordering my current Costco memory foam. It’s very firm, wife thought she’d hate that but it’s been fantastic. Around $1000 iirc for a king. 

• Like 1

Tuft and Needle through Amazon. $700 for a king, 100 night return policy, no questions asked. They don't even want the mattress back, just donate it to some charity like Goodwill. We got one for our pool/guest house last fall. Everyone who has slept on it loves it. Daughter (no pics) bought one for herself on Black friday for a couple hundred bucks off. 

I was researching the online bed companies and beds last month.  Through the research, I learned that the responsiveness of foam mattresses should be a consideration for people still engaging in extracurricular activities.  Beds with springs do a lot of the work for you.  Apparently, different types of foam and different foam mattress configurations provide varied spring and responsiveness.

Of course, I have since forgotten which beds were best, so I'll have to Google "best online mattresses for sex" - again.

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Have been to a couple of mattress stores and I felt like I was dealing with used car salesmen.  The second one, the guy pulled out his cell phone, started dialing, and insisted that I talk to his manager.  I literally told him to fuck off and walked out.

I was looking at Tempurpedics once at one of those single function matress stores and they had one for over $10K. . .I said "10K for a matress? Really?  who in the hell buys this one?" she said, with a straight face, "well you can finance it for 5 years. . ."  I just turned and walked out.

I have a Simmons Comforpedic plush bought when I was single/divorced that is amazing, it's so soft and just cradles me.  Now that one is on the queen bed in our guest bedroom because when I moved in with my fiance we decided to use her Tempurpedic firm, which is also a really great mattress.

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I was looking at Tempurpedics once at one of those single function matress stores and they had one for over $10K. . .I said "10K for a matress? Really?  who in the hell buys this one?" she said, with a straight face, "well you can finance it for 5 years. . ."  I just turned and walked out.

I have a Simmons Comforpedic plush bought when I was single/divorced that is amazing, it's so soft and just cradles me.  Now that one is on the queen bed in our guest bedroom because when I moved in with my fiance we decided to use her Tempurpedic firm, which is also a really great mattress.

Got my Tempurpedic from Costco for right around $2k delivered and installed.  Love it, but it doesn't look like Costco sells Tempurpedic anymore.

Yeah those are the mass market ones, which are good enough for me.

fiance spent like $3500 on ours.

Then there is the model that is one of Oprah Winfrey's favorite things where she gave everyone in the audience one, I can't remember the model name but it was 4-5K.

33 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

I appreciate the story.  I read the mattress thread on the former site to get real reviews from real people.  Hopefully, some of those people will come back and post their previous or updated reviews.

i wonder if there's a bathroom wall somewhere where homeless people are scribbling reviews of the various used online mattresses that everyone is dumping to try the next one

i bought a novaform costco mattress.  King, I think $700.  It was pretty stiff at first but got a bit softer (twss).  I'm happy with it.  Looks like Costco is selling a different brand of foam mattress now.  Not sure how different they actually are.  Best part about the Costco mattress purchase was the ~40 minutes that elapsed between "ok I need to get a mattress" and the mattress being in my home.

On 4/9/2018 at 10:31 AM, Chuychanga said:

Some of the amazon mattresses just tell you to call salvation army to pick it up if you're getting a refund.  I want to know more about the memory foam mattresses at costco.  Like your mom, I'm looking for something firm.  

We got that mattress for our guest room about 6 months ago.  I freaking love it; it's just the right amount of firm for me.  Sometimes I'll intentionally piss off the wife so I can go sleep on it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Big fan of my Purple 2 mattress.  The online foam mattresses that are delivered rolled up are all similar.  Purple has a similar foam thing going on and puts their fancy purple squishy crap as the top layer. I like it a lot and it sleeps much cooler than foam.  I am guessing TJ got the original Purple.  They now have additional mattresses that have some springs in them in addition to foam and different thicknesses of the purple crap.  Purple 1 is the original, Purple 2 has 1 inch of purple and springs, Purple 2 has two inches...so on. They carry them at Mattress Firms as well so you can go try them out.  Was having major sleep issues with old temperwhatever.  Purple 2 doesn't solve all issues, but it's way better.  Love it.

On 4/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Tuft and Needle through Amazon. $700 for a king, 100 night return policy, no questions asked. They don't even want the mattress back, just donate it to some charity like Goodwill. We got one for our pool/guest house last fall. Everyone who has slept on it loves it. Daughter (no pics) bought one for herself on Black friday for a couple hundred bucks off. 

I’m assuming you have to get some sort of receipt from goodwill and show proof of it to the company?  

Just now, BillyGoatHill said:

That is what they ask you to do per their company policy. We didn't have a need to push this as we have kept our mattress.

I mean what keeps you from saying “sure I’m dropping off this shit mattress at goodwill now, and give me my refund” but then you just keep it and get a free mattress.  

that’s my plan at least. 

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

I mean what keeps you from saying “sure I’m dropping off this shit mattress at goodwill now, and give me my refund” but then you just keep it and get a free mattress.  

that’s my plan at least. 

Sure, I guess. Good Luck with that.

Mattress Mac is going with another $3K/Astros win bet.  Spend $3K on a mattress set and when the Astros win the WS again, he will refund your money in cash, or give you 150% of it in store credit.

And you could probably figure out a way to hedge this bet online by betting on other teams to win the WS.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Does anybody make a durable, moderate-cost, traditional mattress now?  (By that, I mean the two-sided, flippable kind.) Everything seems to be pillow top or memory foam or whatever; I just want something like the 15-year-old, Made in USA, Sealy I'm using now, which cost under $500 at the time and has held up well (until now, the fabric cover is wearing thru).  But the major name brands seem to have abandoned that type.

2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Does anybody make a durable, moderate-cost, traditional mattress now?  (By that, I mean the two-sided, flippable kind.) Everything seems to be pillow top or memory foam or whatever; I just want something like the 15-year-old, Made in USA, Sealy I'm using now, which cost under $500 at the time and has held up well (until now, the fabric cover is wearing thru).  But the major name brands seem to have abandoned that type.

When I bought a mattress 10 years ago the guy said they don't make flippable mattresses anymore.  Now, I didn't really exhaustively search for one, but he seemed to be right.  

Stearns and Foster, no pillow top. Preferably hand tufted instead of foam.

Don't start at a specialty store (like mattress one), they're swine.  Go to a department store to find the mattress you like (usually an older lady who admits she has no idea about mattresses).

Once you find the mattress you and your spouse agree on - go to 2x specialty stores and play them off of one another.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, Horn_Spanker said:

I bought a rolled up foam bed delivered my UPS.  I love it!

Yeah, I bought one of these for $300 off Amazon, with return available.

It's better than my old one (that I'm sure we paid $1K+ for), so we're keeping it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a new house and looking to buy a new mattress for it.  I'm looking at buying a bed in a box which has become very popular the last several years.  The top 3 I'm looking at:

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/

https://sleeponlatex.com/

https://www.leesa.com/products/sapira-mattress

If you want to look at a store, avoid the chain places like Mattress Firm, etc.  Find an independent shop (ideally no comission) that sells brands besides the stuff you see at Mattress Firm (this includes Tempurpedic).  Find out if there are any local mattress manufacturers in your area.  If you're wanting to do some research then head over to:

https://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html

Edited by Keflex

19 hours ago, Keflex said:

Just bought a new house and looking to buy a new mattress for it.  I'm looking at buying a bed in a box which has become very popular the last several years.  The top 3 I'm looking at:

https://www.avocadogreenmattress.com/

https://sleeponlatex.com/

https://www.leesa.com/products/sapira-mattress

If you want to look at a store, avoid the chain places like Mattress Firm, etc.  Find an independent shop (ideally no comission) that sells brands besides the stuff you see at Mattress Firm (this includes Tempurpedic).  Find out if there are any local mattress manufacturers in your area.  If you're wanting to do some research then head over to:

https://www.themattressunderground.com/mattress-forum.html

fwiw, sleeponlatex was the overall highest rated by consumer reports.  think it’s about a thousand bucks though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Do Nectar and Casper and the others like them, haul away your old inner spring mattress when they deliver the new one?

I'm pretty close to making the plunge, gotta get a new mattress and might as well try one with a lengthy trial period.

Edited by utee94

I went ahead and pulled the trigger, bought the king-sized Tuft & Needle for $700 and last night was the first night on it.  I woke up without searing back pain for the first time in about two years.  Like Gourmand, I knew my old mattress was bad, but didn't realize just how bad.

I'm an extremely hot sleeper, too, so I was worried that the foam mattress might sleep hotter than my previous inner spring, but didn't notice any real difference.

Many reviews say that it also takes about a week for the mattress to break in a little, and for the sleeper to grow accustomed to it if your normal experience is with an inner spring, so it's possible that things will get even better.  

Random thoughts -

I think sleeplikethedead.com is the best resource for reviews and comparisons.  You can see why people like particular types of mattresses, in detail.

Try US-Mattress.com for traditional mattresses.  They have a twice-yearly sale where you can get the mattresses selling at those ripoff mattress stores for 60% or so off.

I have a Tempurpedic.  It's OK, but hotter than I like.  Also have a Simmons Beautyrest Black Somethingorother.  Both are about the same firmness (firm but not extra firm) but the Simmons is cooler.

I don't think the non-spring memory foam mattresses are any great thing, honestly.  I especially don't like the way most of those online-direct mattresses don't have a firm edge - the ones that come in the impossibly small box and then expand.  They just feel strange to me that there's no edge to them.  I tried a Casper and a Leesa and thought they both felt cheap. 

I've sat on but not slept on a Purple - it's a weird feeling - you notice the gaps in the structure touching it.  Not sure how it would be to sleep on, but I bet it's not as hot.

Somehow sometime ago I stumbled on a website of an independent mattress maker, somewhere in Wisconsin or such (apparently the Mattress Belt), making tradition-style individually-pocketed coiled-spring mattress, using 100% natural materials, and almost all hand construction

And the price wasn't extravagant.  

Never did find that website again.  And the closest approximation is a Haestens that cost somewhere between a Buick to a BMW in price.

Crazy to read about people touting refund and warranty policies and such.  Who can be bothered with that?  Last time I moved, I just bought the most expensive firm spring mattress they sold at Ikea.  It's meh.  We're moving again and going to another retailer, buying a similar style (firm, sprung) but atleast buying from a local/regional/national manufacturer.

Just pulled the trigger on a Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress.  Hybrid with foam and springs.

Our mattress is 22 years old and my wife was just diagnosed with an allergy to dust mites, so there had to be a change (new mattress is cheaper than new wife).

it took about a month and a half before i was comfortable on my sleep innovations.  i felt like it was really stiff underneath the top layer when i first got it.   it's either broken in a bit or i've just gotten used to it. 

On 6/10/2018 at 1:08 PM, utee94 said:

Do Nectar and Casper and the others like them, haul away your old inner spring mattress when they deliver the new one?

I'm pretty close to making the plunge, gotta get a new mattress and might as well try one with a lengthy trial period.

if you're in the area, looks like houston furniture bank has started accepting mattresses for recycling again following harvey.  $25 donation required for pick up. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1