Cowboys v. Redskins: Jason's swan song

Jive Turkey

oh...and he's a better blocker than every TE you've listed, PLUS he has the production on the stat sheet.

Blocking matters too, as does his leadership in the lockerroom.

Not sure where the Jason Witten man touched dipshit Dr Beeper, but he got a lotta hate to keep him warm...

Okay, he’s a HOFer in his own right. But he was rarely a Top 3 TE in any season he played. All those guys I mentioned were better. As was Sharpe and will be Kittle. He’s not as great as Cowboys fans want to believe. 

Beeper and Bevo VIII vying for the worst poster of 2019 and it’s coming down to the wire. Beeper making a final push on this thread...
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Think you give Dak a chance to see what he can do under new coaching before throwing in the towel on him.  

I don't think we have that luxury. Dalton is going to be available.  I would rather pay Cooper than Dak.  And whoever the new guy is is going to need some cash and cap to do what he wants to do.

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I don't think we have that luxury. Dalton is going to be available.  I would rather pay Cooper than Dak.  And whoever the new guy is is going to need some cash and cap to do what he wants to do.

The new guy will have to continue to defer to Jerrah and Stephen IMO.  The power structure will largely remain unchanged, sure the new guy may get some newbie capital in draft of free agency input, but when it comes to the big and final decisions, the Jones' will continue to drive the bus.  It may be a good idea to tag Dak, but it almost surely won't happen because Jerrah loves Dak and wants him here L-T.  It was a good idea not to pay Elliott, but Jerrah has convinced himself he's the next Emmitt so here we are.  When speaking about the Cowboys, it's probably more constructive to delineate between what's a good idea in theory and what Jerrah will do.  Often, they're not in alignment....

26 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is exactly how I feel about the guy. I suspect many posters here think he revolutionized the position. Of all the peers I mentioned, they all had some component to their game that did revolutionize it, and I think they’re better, even if they didn’t put up the stats like he did (like Graham, or Gronk for his brevity). 

you're the only one talking about revolutionizing the position which i suppose offers a glimpse into your psyche b/c in the same post you offer up how gonzalez and gronk did.  and there's nothing wrong with having that as a criteria, but you can't deny witten as an all-time great solely because he didn't bring a new aspect to the game.  he was exceptional at what old school TEs did while also being one of the best, if not statistically the best, at playing the high-powered offensive tool role.  he had contemporaries who might've been a little better in one aspect of the game, but there was no more complete package as a TE than he. 

4 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Zeke is the least of this team’s problems and Dak is decent. Good not great and probably never will be. You fucking pay him over getting a guy like Winston or Mariota. Agree on Gallup and letting Amari walk - if you can retain Cobb. Lee was much better than LVE or Jaylon this year. I wouldn’t mind replacing all of them and devoting draft resources to lineman particularly DL. Also, Witten needs to go and not be a coach here. 

Zeke the football player is not a problem, but Zeke the contract definitely is. The reality of today's NFL is that if you choose to pay your RB monster bucks, you're making it really difficult on yourself to build the rest of your team.

I agree that we probably have to pay Dak. People wanting to replace him with a bum like Winston, Mariota, or Dalton are insane. During SNF tonight, they mentioned that the 49ers made Jimmy G the highest paid QB (just 2 offseasons ago, and after only seeing him for 5 games) but he's already down to like 9th. They were mocked at the time now no one gives a shit. It's just how QB contracts works. Either bite the bullet and pay Dak, or blow this thing completely up and draft a guy in the 1st round.

I think Gallup is a nice player but a WR corps of Gallup + spare parts worries me. Not necessarily saying they need to pay Amari, but if they don't I hope they don't just stand pat.

Agreed on Witten. Can't remember the last time I swung so sharply from "love the guy" to "don't let the door hit you in the ass" without him beating up his girlfriend or whatever. Thanks for the good years but seriously GTFO and stay gone.

14 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Huh?  I think he progressed from mediocre to good this year. I would bust my ass to pay him less than $30MM. But I’d rather pay up than have someone that can literally make a good coach have an 8-8 season. Dak won’t do that. He’s a top third quarterback with a slow steady trajectory. You keep a guy like that. And I guess I’m glad he isn’t ghetto either, whatever the fuck that means. 

For the record, I don’t think that Dak is mediocre. I said I would let Dak who is decent but not that good, walk in favor of a mediocre QB who is paid mediocre (QB standards) to try and get a Tannehill in TN 2.0 until you can draft a franchise QB. And I meant it’s nice and all that he’s not ghetto and can be trusted to not have a criminal off season or beat a woman (unlike Jameis in the past though he seems to have turned the corner), but that quality alone isn’t good enough to tip the scales to pay him big money.