John Lewis has cancer

HenryJames

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

I'll admit to not knowing who he is (haven't googled) but pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. The mom of the admin got it and was gone within a couple of months.

Devastated for this person and his family.

He's the man to the far right. He's currently a United States Representative from Georgia.

john-lewis.jpg

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you can name more so called Russians than you can American civil rights leaders maybe you rethink your priorities. 

If you're more concerned with scoring a political point than being a fucking human being, then maybe you're just a piece of shit.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

I sincerely hope he beats the odds on this.

A good of friend of mine got this exact diagnosis, same stage and everything.  And he was only 36.  They gave him 6 months to live and we buried him 4 months later.  

I'm not trying to be negative, but we should all prepare for the fact that we're going to lose John Lewis.

Fuck cancer a thousand times.

43 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

More proof that God and Karma are make believe. 

Do not wish to sidetrack, but I often think this. The pastor addressed this in her sermon today. I still hate seeing good people taken while people like Dotard and Jerry Jones get to live to be a 110, but it can be hard to be okay with seeing good people die while assholes live longer.

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

A good of friend of mine got this exact diagnosis, same stage and everything.  And he was only 36.  They gave him 6 months to live and we buried him 4 months later.  

I'm not trying to be negative, but we should all prepare for the fact that we're going to lose John Lewis.

Fuck cancer a thousand times.

Pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. There is no beating the odds. 

He was a great man. And will be remembered for eternity. 

That's far better than most of us will every accomplish. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, bolverk said:

If you're more concerned with scoring a political point than being a fucking human being, then maybe you're just a piece of shit.

That dude just can't find a thread he won't try to screw up. 

You know who he is now and that's cool. America is about to lose a national treasure. The men and women who fought for civil rights are heroes and should be to every single American no matter your skin color. People like John Lewis are what make the American experiment so amazing. 

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

That dude just can't find a thread he won't try to screw up. 

You know who he is now and that's cool. America is about to lose a national treasure. The men and women who fought for civil rights are heroes and should be to every single American no matter your skin color. People like John Lewis are what make the American experiment so amazing. 

As soon as I googled the name, I immediately recognized his face and knew what he stood for. I'll never not know his name again; he was a true American hero.

We got to hear him speak at the national dinner for the human rights campaign. I was able to hear his famous line in person: “Never be afraid to get into trouble, good trouble, necessary trouble.” One of the highlights of my activism.

Not many heroes out there, hearing him speak live and in person about Selma and about civil rights is a privilege, one I’m super sad we will lose.

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

I am wondering about that too. He may have had discomfort but waited until his routine exam to see the doctor?  I would think pancreatic cancer would hurt you much before stage 4 hits. I don't know but this really sucks that it is happening to him. I wish him well.

It’s different for different people.  Some can experience fatigue and what they consider normal aging aches and pains and put off doing any extensive medical tests until it’s too late.  My mother had a comprehensive screening in January and had seemingly no issues, had full blown stage 4 by August and died in October.  

It’s different for different people.  Some can experience fatigue and what they consider normal aging aches and pains and put off doing any extensive medical tests until it’s too late.  My mother had a comprehensive screening in January and had seemingly no issues, had full blown stage 4 by August and died in October.  

Oh man. Gut punch right there. Ugh.

On 12/29/2019 at 6:08 PM, bolverk said:

I'll admit to not knowing who he is (haven't googled) but pancreatic cancer is a death sentence. The mom of the admin got it and was gone within a couple of months.

Devastated for this person and his family.

My dad was dead within a week of diagnosis. Pancreatic cancer, at least circa 1992, don't play.

On 12/30/2019 at 9:53 PM, burntorangebongos said:

I am wondering about that too. He may have had discomfort but waited until his routine exam to see the doctor?  I would think pancreatic cancer would hurt you much before stage 4 hits. I don't know but this really sucks that it is happening to him. I wish him well.

One, maybe the primary, reason it's so deadly is that there is no real testing to find it early.  Usually, by the time it's found it's already stage 4 and invading other organs so that it's inoperable as well.

On 12/30/2019 at 1:04 PM, NowThis said:

a medical question -- the news keep saying his pancreatic cancer was discovered during a routine examination.   Is this via a blood test?  Dumb question -- if blood tests can detect then why not detected earlier?

Pancreatic cancer is not a death sentence. That's a blanket remark that is medically ignorant. There wouldn't be any point to staging pancreatic cancer if the prognosis for all stages was the same. What makes Pancreatic cancer challenging is that people often "present" with locally advanced cancer (Stage III). In Lewis' case, the cancer had spread beyond the local area to other regions of the body (Stage IV).  If you get a cancer, and it can grow over time without causing any issues with adjacent structures or has no overt biochemical signature, then the cancer has time to invade things that are close by and by the time it starts causing problems, and someone gets a CT scan, it can too late to do anything.

With Pancreatic cancer, if its the tail of the Pancreas, this is curable with surgery usually. The adjacent structure that you might have to take out is usually the spleen. I wouldn't say it is a small matter, but you can live without a spleen. If its the head of the Pancreas, then you talking about the biliary system and more importantly, a major branch of your aorta that supplies several other organs in the body. You cannot live without those. Surgery here is more dicey. There are more challenging technical things you can do during surgery, but its operating in Tiger country.

If its Stage IV, then the cancer has had time to invade those adjacent structures, i.e, a blood vessel or a lymphatic system, and spread elsewhere and surgery will not be curative.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

+ rep to naija.  Is it fair to say that most patients with Stage 3 pancreatic cancer don't experience symptoms that they wouldn't typically associate with the normal aches and pains and body breakdowns of aging?

it's not they are "normal" per say, as much they are nonspecific. it could be nothing such as an upset stomach, to gallbladder problem to a gastroenteritis etc...

for people who get diagnosed early, it is not uncommon that a CT scan or other imaging was obtained for an unrelated reason, and then a pancreatic tumor was found incidentally. 

if you have a triad of pain, weight loss and jaundice, it should prompt a more rigorous search for the cause... but again, if you have that triad, you more than likely fall within the 80% that present with either locally advanced or metastatic cancer