Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta pay Dak. QB contracts are ridiculous, it is what it is. He's clearly better than dudes like Wentz and Goff that got paid. Sign him, hope his agent doesn't bend us over too bad, and move on.

I'm coming around to the idea of letting Cooper walk. Yes it sucks but there are just so many other needs that have to be addressed. Gallup had a nice year and WRs on his two-year trajectory often make another nice leap in year three. Cross your fingers and hope he can do it.

Dunno what they should do in the draft. For a team this talented it feels like there are lots of needs. Basically anything but QB and RB makes at least some sense. Personally I think a badass TE would be cool, but it doesn't appear that kind of guy is out there this year.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Gotta pay Dak. QB contracts are ridiculous, it is what it is. He's clearly better than dudes like Wentz and Goff that got paid. Sign him, hope his agent doesn't bend us over too bad, and move on.

I'm coming around to the idea of letting Cooper walk. Yes it sucks but there are just so many other needs that have to be addressed. Gallup had a nice year and WRs on his two-year trajectory often make another nice leap in year three. Cross your fingers and hope he can do it.

Dunno what they should do in the draft. For a team this talented it feels like there are lots of needs. Basically anything but QB and RB makes at least some sense. Personally I think a badass TE would be cool, but it doesn't appear that kind of guy is out there this year.

I think you make Cooper a 1st Round Tender Offer.  If someone wants to give him a massive deal, we take their 1st round pick.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Jerry needs to fire the entire coaching staff today. And then hold a job fair at the stadjum. Maybe even validate parking.

Agreed. At this point, I do not want any of them back. This includes Richard, Moore or Kitna. Just move on from everyone. Let those guys go get a fresh start on a new team.

Question is, does Jerry actually hire a coach who he will allow to pick his entire staff like any normal coaching hire? If he is serious about winning like he claims, he will.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Agreed. At this point, I do not want any of them back. This includes Richard, Moore or Kitna. Just move on from everyone. Let those guys go get a fresh start on a new team.

Question is, does Jerry actually hire a coach who he will allow to pick his entire staff like any normal coaching hire? If he is serious about winning like he claims, he will.

We know he won't. 

Just now, mdmost said:

We know he won't. 

I know. I guess I am trying to be optimistic at this point. Jerry has never been in this position before. 2 plus decades of nothing. Not even one single conference championship appearance. Only 4 total playoff wins since our last Super Bowl. A lot has changed since in this last decade. I hope it took a toll on him in terms of his perception and legacy. Money means nothing. No one will remember him for his money. He is slowly ruining his legacy.

Giving over control means he has to face the reality that he can't do it without a "football man". I think he's too dug in that he'd rather flail about in mediocrity than let his critics be right. Plus, he went down that road with Parcells and it didn't end with a Super Bowl. I just got to the point where I'm so genuinely apathetic that it's difficult to muster much anger over where the franchise is now. The parallels with Texas are so strong. At least with Texas, you're assured the chance of something possibly happening with consistent player turnover and more key members (donors, ADs, money men) who can make sure that a needed change can occur. With the Jones family, it's so circular and insulated that it doesn't matter what the fans, media, or the rest of the NFL thinks. Jerry and his clan will keep charging on because they're the richest franchise in the NFL, though I can't for the life of me understand why given the mass mediocrity of the franchise. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Giving over control means he has to face the reality that he can't do it without a "football man". I think he's too dug in that he'd rather flail about in mediocrity than let his critics be right. Plus, he went down that road with Parcells and it didn't end with a Super Bowl. I just got to the point where I'm so genuinely apathetic that it's difficult to muster much anger over where the franchise is now. The parallels with Texas are so strong. At least with Texas, you're assured the chance of something possibly happening with consistent player turnover and more key members (donors, ADs, money men) who can make sure that a needed change can occur. With the Jones family, it's so circular and insulated that it doesn't matter what the fans, media, or the rest of the NFL thinks. Jerry and his clan will keep charging on because they're the richest franchise in the NFL, though I can't for the life of me understand why given the mass mediocrity of the franchise. 

I think after 25 years of not even appearing in a conference championship game, it is obvious he can't do it without a football guy. He knows it and everyone knows it.I'm not sure who he is trying to prove it too at this point. You don't get extra bonus points for doing it on your own. He's not a football guy at all and has no idea how to run or build a team from the GM perspective. If we won another Super Bowl, no one will give a shit now or decades from now who built the team. I get he's an egotistical old man but it makes no sense to what he's trying to prove. Does he really believe people think he can do it on his own at this point? Since he became GM, he has ran this team into the never ending cycle of mediocrity. Something this storied franchise has never seen. We have now closed the chapter on the second consecutive decade of zero conference championship game appearances. We are now the Redskins and Lions of the NFL, just with a better brand image so we are more relevant. That is the only thing that separates us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

nbc sunday night just mentioned dan campbell of the saints. he'd check off a lot of boxes for jerrah but wouldn't be a 'big splash' hire 

We need a "big splash" to help coerce some of our free agents to resign. They'll have competing offers. Jones has his work cut out for him.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

34 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You just passed 5,000 likes. Congratulations.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tokamak said:

"Clearly better" than Wentz? Dear God, no. I'm not sure how good Wentz will ultimately be but I would hold off saying Dak is clearly better at this point. He's clearly healthier, I guess.

I'm OK pushing forward with Dak simply because there is no better option for 2020 and beyond at this point unless you're advocating making a move for QB at #17 overall (assuming somebody slides or you see something other teams don't a la Lamar Jackson). What I am against is giving Dak the same type deal Wentz got and having that hanging around this team's necks for years to come. Right now, I might let Amari walk and hang the franchise tag on Dak and see how he does next season with (hopefully) better coaching.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I know. I guess I am trying to be optimistic at this point. Jerry has never been in this position before. 2 plus decades of nothing. Not even one single conference championship appearance. Only 4 total playoff wins since our last Super Bowl. A lot has changed since in this last decade. I hope it took a toll on him in terms of his perception and legacy. Money means nothing. No one will remember him for his money. He is slowly ruining his legacy.

I would like to buy this but the man is already an NFL Hall of Famer.  50 years after he is gone his legacy will read Jerry Jones:  NFL Hall of Famer, Owner of the Dallas Cowboys that revolutionized the way NFL teams conduct business helping turn a successful league into the largest sporting juggernaut of the 21st Century.  The Cowboys won three Super Bowls during Jones' ownership.

The End

Sucks bad but that's what it will say and that grinning dipshit knows it.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Elliott's contract is really only out another 3 years.  After that it pretty much costs nothing to cut him.  

About 7 million of dead money unless post June 1st cut then over 4 million.  Probably more like 4 years unless the wheels really come off.  32 million on the back end is probably never seen but still, 50 million + for 3/4 years of a RB.  

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Since he became GM, he has ran this team into the never ending cycle of mediocrity.

The moment he hired Switzer was the dividing line.  Yes, he won a superbowl with Switzer, and Jimmy's team.  But he believed it was because of him.  And that's where we've been since Neil O'Donnell went full aggy.  February 1996.

So the 25th anniversary of skeletocrity is actually February 2021.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How does one "trade" for a current head coach, especially one currently in the playoffs? What would we have to give up? Has a head coach trade happened in the modern era?

Draft picks and players, just like a player..... As far as for Zimmer.... no thanks.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

About 7 million of dead money unless post June 1st cut then over 4 million.  Probably more like 4 years unless the wheels really come off.  32 million on the back end is probably never seen but still, 50 million + for 3/4 years of a RB.  

$7mm is practically nothing at that juncture 

32 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I would like to buy this but the man is already an NFL Hall of Famer.  50 years after he is gone his legacy will read Jerry Jones:  NFL Hall of Famer, Owner of the Dallas Cowboys that revolutionized the way NFL teams conduct business helping turn a successful league into the largest sporting juggernaut of the 21st Century.  The Cowboys won three Super Bowls during Jones' ownership.

The End

Sucks bad but that's what it will say and that grinning dipshit knows it.  

I disagree.  There are 4, maybe 5 generations of fans currently alive in North Texas and around the world who would say his legacy would read as follows:

NFL Hall of Famer, who for a brief moment in time at the end of the Wild West era of free agency and before the hard cap rules of the 21st century, funded Jimmy Johnson's construction of the best team money could buy and in the process won 3 SuperBowls in 4 years by dethroning the evil, hated 49ers and the rest of the NFC east.   Using that street cred he bucked the old-line ownership families and cut his own deals for soda, beer, and a number of other products.  Although he was constantly in turmoil and controversy with the NFL and other owners, he led the charge to break open the rights negotiations which resulted in the 1994 Fox contract, and as a result made him, his family, and all the other NFL owners, obscenely rich.  The final 25 years of his ownership tenure were a Bataan Death March to Football Purgatory.  The Cowboys remained a massive side as the 3rd and 4th generations of fans exponentially increased the number of Cowboys supporters, making the franchise the richest in the NFL despite the total, inept, mediocrity resulting from Jones' insistence on pretending he was the General Manager.  On the last day of the 2019 NFL Regular Season, Jones remained the only 1 of 32 NFL owners that spoke to the media at the conclusion of every game, oblivious to the fear and loathing generated by his pitiful caricature of himself.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I disagree.  There are 4, maybe 5 generations of fans currently alive in North Texas and around the world who would say his legacy would read as follows:

NFL Hall of Famer, who for a brief moment in time at the end of the Wild West era of free agency and before the hard cap rules of the 21st century, funded Jimmy Johnson's construction of the best team money could buy and in the process won 3 SuperBowls in 4 years by dethroning the evil, hated 49ers and the rest of the NFC east.   Using that street cred he bucked the old-line ownership families and cut his own deals for soda, beer, and a number of other products.  Although he was constantly in turmoil and controversy with the NFL and other owners, he led the charge to break open the rights negotiations which resulted in the 1994 Fox contract, and as a result made him, his family, and all the other NFL owners, obscenely rich.  The final 25 years of his ownership tenure were a Bataan Death March to Football Purgatory.  The Cowboys remained a massive side as the 3rd and 4th generations of fans exponentially increased the number of Cowboys supporters, making the franchise the richest in the NFL despite the total, inept, mediocrity resulting from Jones' insistence on pretending he was the General Manager.  On the last day of the 2019 NFL Regular Season, Jones remained the only 1 of 32 NFL owners that spoke to the media at the conclusion of every game, oblivious to the fear and loathing generated by his pitiful caricature of himself.

Yea nice and agree, but a few generations of fans are not the one's who write history/legacies.

Funny though

Edited by Surly Bevo

39 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The moment he hired Switzer was the dividing line.  Yes, he won a superbowl with Switzer, and Jimmy's team.  But he believed it was because of him.  And that's where we've been since Neil O'Donnell went full aggy.  February 1996.

So the 25th anniversary of skeletocrity is actually February 2021.

Never in a million years would I have imagined since that Super Bowl win to begin 1996, we would have a total of 4 playoff wins since then. All being home wild card wins. Went about 12 years between playoff wins. 2 plus decades of no conference championship appearances. I was between the ages of 8 and 11 for those Super Bowls in the 90s. I enjoyed them but was way too young to appreciate what winning a Super Bowl is about and what it takes. I thought winning Super Bowls was easy and normal. And no big deal.

36 minutes ago, 'stache said:

How does one "trade" for a current head coach, especially one currently in the playoffs? What would we have to give up? Has a head coach trade happened in the modern era?

Gruden as mentioned and Parcells and Belichick. Wasn't Herm Edwards traded as well?

32 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Draft picks and players, just like a player..... As far as for Zimmer.... no thanks.  

Yeah, I could maybe get interested in a deal for Sean Payton -- but that's about where it stops for me. He isn't leaving NOLA until Brees does.